Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Jeep would you rather have in your garage?
1997 Classic 145 38.87%
2021 Thar 228 61.13%
Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2020, 19:01   #76
BHPian

Re: 1997 Mahindra Classic vs 2021 Mahindra Thar

Yes this is a public poll asking "Which Jeep would you rather have in your garage?"
but I am very well aware of the fact that this poll is between GTO's classic vs 2020 Thar.

In that case it has to be a no brainer, which is retain the Classic!

I would suggest to wait for an year or more and grab a used THAR from the market to get the feel of it, there will be a lot of those for sure in OLX, looking at the booking/sales numbers of current THAR.

You can buy a THAR at any point of time, but the Classic is gone once it's gone. DOT.

Last edited by kamilharis : 30th December 2020 at 19:04.
kamilharis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 12:10   #77
BHPian

Find another place to park your Classic, use it sparingly.
That jeep is not going anywhere mate. Its a keeper for life.
Torque-ative is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 10:48   #78
BHPian

It has to be the Classic sir.

As other senior BHPians have said the Classic cannot be replaced, even by the new Thar.

The 2021 Thar is a more livable and dailyable off-roader, but not a true blue bare basic Jeep.

You can buy the Thar 2.0 or even it's future iterations whenever you want, but not the Classic that too the one that you are owning for 24 years.

Teambhp is not complete without you and your profile is not complete without your Classic sir.

You don't need the Jeep for daily use it seams(you have the Sunny and the Beamer for that). The Classic is the perfect weekend toy in you garage. Don't sale it please.

Regards,
DevOnWheels
DevOnWheels is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 11:32   #79
Senior - BHPian

So the question is "Which Jeep would you rather have in your garage?"

This one. Period. The Jeep WRANGLER
Attached Thumbnails
1997 Mahindra Classic vs 2021 Mahindra Thar-jeepw.jpg  

HammerHead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 13:54   #80

IMHO GTO you should find a good buyer for your Classic and let it find a new home. The primary reason being that, if you do NOT do so, then for the rest of your life you will live with the dilemma of "what if you had gone for the newer Thar", where as you have thoroughly lived with the classic and will not have any (permanent) regrets of having parted ways with it.
g_sanjib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 14:15   #81
BHPian

Do you live in NCR? NO
Is new Thar going to be a daily drive? NO
Does the new Thar flash more Swag? NO
Is the current Jeep not durable and robust giving you problems ? NO
Is the current Jeep a head turner? YES

Hand on heart, I strongly recommend to hold on to the Classic. It's your first and has grown with you. Those weekend drives, late night parties, girlfriends and many more happy memories, I am sure your Jeep has been with you.

While folks dream of owning a vehicle that they can connect to and want to grow old with, you have one. You both have been honest to keep the trust going on. It's the same feeling like owning the old bore bullet or RX100- the excitement and exclusivity of owning a vintage classic and the passion to keep it running flawlessly. Perfection is monotonous, imperfections are beautiful.

The only advantage that the new Thar has the 4 star safety rating. But as they say in local Punjabi folklore, Par pakki vekh ke kacchi nai dhai di!!!

Last edited by headbanger : 1st January 2021 at 14:18.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:15   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
NO

I did same mistake of selling my Bullet 350 CI (it was from the last lot of CI engine) while buying my first Thar in 2012, after 8 years I still regret the decision.

The reason while selling my bullet were similar like less useable in city traffic, not a highway cruiser as well etc. Till date I purchased and sold around 5 (Duke 200, Duke 390, Bullet 500, Duke 390, Classic 350 ABS) bikes however the feeling of 350 CI with RGS is unmatched.

Your Jeep is legend please keep it.
Thar4x4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:22   #83
BHPian

I don't think you should own even a single car
With your good will in the industry for several decades, I am sure you would be getting good media cars to drive on any given weekend or event - personal or professional.
On a more realistic approach, you can ask for the new Thar to be with you for a month or more. Evaluate both on all parameters and then take a decision.
Very soon you shall see pre-owned Thars for sale. And with their resale value you can actually get one at a mouth watering deal. Best of luck, whatever you decide and if it's the new Thar then it's going to be really hard on the day you have to let go off the Classic.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 18:29   #84
BHPian

Please hold on to the classic.

The Thar would be around for quite a while and soon you'll get a chance to test drive a newer model probably two years down the line.

P. S. I still drive my CJ3B (RCL gun carrier) whenever I get a chance, and no, it's not for sale
bikertillidie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 19:31   #85
BHPian

Voted Thar.

You are asking public(to vote) if you should stay with spouse or move on with new partner, somewhere deep down has new glam in the street made you disloyal to classic ? If both can’t coexist, go for Thar.

I am sure you had good part of life with classic, time to experience something new and move on.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 21:33   #86
BHPian

I'm not sure if this is an apt comparison but I went through something similar with a motorcycle.

I had a 2003 Royal Enfield Standard 500 which was the first bike I got with my own money. I rode across India and put in close to 1,20,000 kms on it. It never let me down on tour. I was very emotionally attached to that motorcycle. In 2016, I got a used Bonneville SE. I intended to keep both motorcycles but soon the Bullet started to gather dust. So I sold it off to a friend who still rides it every day.

Bullets of that vintage are lovely. The Std 500 is quite rare and much sought after, quite like your Classic. However the Bonnie just blew it out of the water on every parameter. Sure, there were days where I would miss the old bike but those moments were fleeting at best. I think vehicles are meant to be with you for a certain part of your automobile journey but it makes sense to move on when a better option presents itself.

I'd get the new Thar.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 21:57   #87
BHPian

Can anyone imagine a different avatar for GTO other than his Classic's front?

It would take a lot of time to get used to, IF he decides to part with it and choose another one from his garage.

The famous side view of the Honda City he once owned? His not so famous Sunny? Pic of his 530d near Mumbai's famous landmark? Or the 2021 Thar in a new angle? We can only keep guessing!
sreeJiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 22:29   #88
BHPian

Many of you suggested / voted for 2021 THAR considering the other vehicle in question is Mahindra Classic. Out of the many who have voted and rooted for THAR I dont think many of you would have ever driven a Classic CL340DP or have seen a Classic in flesh. Sorry, am being very blunt.

Guys, you cant compare a 1996 Classic CL340DP and the 2021 THAR. The question stops there.

There is a old saying about JEEP, it stands for an acronym "Just Engine and Electrical Parts". Classic stands true to this adage. Classic is a 1996 Vehicle which came with a XD3P Peugeot engine which was a 2.2 L engine and made around 62/66 BHP. It's just a very small engine and tonnes of torque.

There were hardly 8xxx Classic's were ever made by M&M between 1995-99 and out of which nearly 45-50% were exported. If you take your Classic out on anyday it's a sure shot head turner when compared to any other cars on road. When you drop the windshield down and the breeze starts singing a lullaby to you, the feeling what you get is just beyond this world.

@GTO - Since space is not a constraint to you, just keep the Classic and get a THAR to satisfy your desires. If at all you plan to dispose the Classic, I am sure you will regret for that decision one day since Classic is something a Keeper of a Vehicle.

I am a proud owner of a 1996 Classic.
vasanthjn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 22:50   #89
Senior - BHPian

For someone like you who owns many cars (>4 I assume) at home, I think the earlier thing to do is continue using the Jeep. I'm sure you're hardly clocking 2-4k km annually on the Jeep.

With a 2 door coupe and the BMW, you may not have the time to seriously spend enough time to justify the expense on the Thar. Those two cars ensure that you can arrive in style either alone or with family. I'm sure you're going to add an EV in 5-6 years too.

Also, your Classic is a vintage car, I doubt the Thar we'll see a 2020 Thar running in 2050 as it has complicated electronics and pollution control equipment.
landcruiser123 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 23:26   #90
BHPian

10 years down the line, there will be tons of Thar on the road but very few classics. Is that the best ride - No. Safety - None. Practicality - limited. Uniqueness - High. I would keep that purely for the evening drives in Mumbai winters. In another few years, there would be a line of new roads/infra opening up in Mumbai - I believe the experience of driving a classic on those would be unparalleled.
mmxylorider is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks