Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Jeep would you rather have in your garage?
1997 Classic 145 38.87%
2021 Thar 228 61.13%
Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2020, 21:30   #31
BHPian

Re: 1997 Mahindra Classic vs 2021 Mahindra Thar

I would like to quote from harry potter, "there's no Hogwarts without you Hagrid" in the same way there's no GTO without the iconic classic, you get what I'm trying to say right?

You and the classic go together man, and it's a very rare vehicle, apart from the classic modified into willys audacity which i see on the road, i haven't seen a classic in many years, it truly is a classic!

And the amount you would be getting from selling it would a very small one to you, moreover you don't have a parking issue. Even the biggest panoramic sunroof cannot match a open top jeep in a good weather.

Why not both then?
yesyeswe is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 21:40   #32
BHPian

Not gonna lie, I was disappointed to see this thread. Call me emotional but, out of all the people we meet through our life, some are meant to stay till the time one of us cannot survive anymore. I see cars the same way as people. They have a character of their own, trust me on this, they love you back as much as you love them and the most important part, not every car is meant to stay with you for a lifetime, however, some are! It is a love and hate relation where you love each other for your positives and accept each other's imperfections.

That being said, you need to ask this question to yourself once again. "Can you part your ways with something you have taken care of, for so long?" Embrace the imperfections, sir! I know, I might sound like a 13-year-old giving you life advice but, as much as I know you started this thread because deep down you already knew the answer!

Again, even if you sell your jeep, that has to be your decision but, had I been at your place, I won't have had the thought of trading my 03 Alto LX even for a Beemer.

Last edited by Aish_4761 : 29th December 2020 at 21:41. Reason: Spell Check
Aish_4761 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 21:41   #33
BHPian

GTO sir please please please do retain the classic at any cost🥺. It certainly has become a family member of yours as it has been with you for 24 years now, I'm sure there must be countless memories. Trust me I have seen the pain of one who gets detached from his first vehicle and he is none other than my dad. Him being a government employee with frequent transfer demanding career finally had to let go of his KB100 as my mother was fed up of dragging that old bike(according to her) every 2-3 years to a new place. He still gets emotional and smiles whenever he sees one or a similar bike like RX100.

You won't believe previously my dad sold the bike to a dhobi (washerman) and got it back by paying a premium of 5k within 2 days.

And add to all this, your classic IMO looks far more gangsta than any Thar. The Thar going by the numerous bookings is going to be a common site on our roads very soon but a well maintained shiny black Mahindra Classic never would. Again the paperwork issue is a sign to you to keep that old partner along.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 29th December 2020 at 21:44.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 21:53   #34
BHPian

Next to your Jeep, Thar looks plasticky in the photos

Your classic is one of a kind and like many mods have said, not many single owner classics will be available down the line.
Not all 25-year-old car can become a Classic.
Not going to cost you a bomb to maintain like the imported Classic cars.
If it was me, I would be keen to pass it on to my Grandkids.

It is definitely part of history and who knows, you may even get invited to showcase your classic for Mahindra in the future.

Even if you end up taking Thar, try to hold on to your Jeep for a while and let someone in the family use it without selling it or send it with a buyback clause.

Earlier comments recommending both options have valid points which may confuse you even more.

Your call - Emotional vs Practical:
Hold-on to or sell it and move on to enjoy the Thar without any regrets.

Last edited by ganesc : 29th December 2020 at 21:55.
ganesc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 22:08   #35
BHPian

From a monetary point of view, selling the classic would make no sense as it would fetch peanuts. But since money never came in the discussion, I don’t find any reason in favour of selling the classic. Since this classic was more or less a weekend getaway vehicle, and the classic does its job for this purpose flawlessly, I really don’t think you should part ways with it. And lets just not forget the saying “old is gold”. No modern day vehicle will ride as good as its olden day counterpart. If you really want the creature comforts of the 2020 Thar, then you can maybe think of it but not at the cost of selling the classic. Retain the classic and get the Thar, if required.
saikishor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 22:14   #36
BHPian

Voted for retaining the Classic! It truly is unexpected for me to see this poll, but somehow I can relate to this!

My sentiments always have gotten the better side of me when making automotive decisions, like this vote. Also, I always prefer a good story, such as this long, 24 year old association. I still regret how I could not convince my dad to retain our first car, a humble 2001 Alto, even though I could have bought it off him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As luck would have it, there are major hurdles in the paperwork. The company that financed my Jeep shut down back in the 90s and after talking to a lot of people, I have come to the conclusion that it is going to be very difficult, and will involve a lot of effort & paperwork to remove the hypothecation.
I must say this is not just luck, but a sign for you to retain it, irrespective of your Thar purchase.
Quote:
P.S. A small advantage with my Classic is that, due to its narrow width, I can stick it to the building wall and squeeze my 530d out through the gap. Hence, there is no need to remove the Jeep to remove the 530d. That won't be possible with the bigger & wider Thar which will block the other car.
Could this be a writing on the 'wall' (pun intended) for the Thar then?
On a serious note though, since there is no issue for parking, it will be great if you can somehow retain the Classic as well as purchase the Thar as some other members have already suggested. You can get any Thar some years down the line, maybe as a great pre-worshipped deal when some first owner decides to move on to more practical options. But once you let go off your Classic, you will probably not get it back, even if you wanted to.

Last edited by Researcher : 29th December 2020 at 22:16.
Researcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 22:14   #37
BHPian

More comments are going to make it harder for you to take a decision since both parties are making equally valid points.

My two cents:

The new thar would reduce the gap between the fun sports utility vehicle (classic) and the regular comfortable road car (530d).

This will render neither of them used and special feeling. Ask me. We have three cars in the garage and none of them are very special in the way we use them.

Let the contrast in your garage remain. Let the classic stay with you. Maybe even pass it down to gto junior.
We are holding on to my grandfathers car since his demise although we have no need for a third car only because we know that although the mind is what we should go with. The heart doesn't let you rest once the honeymoon period passes. We are bhpians for god's sake! We build our lives around these four wheeled creations! How much work is a garage modification or the likes in front of what the vehicle means to us.

And bhpians like me cannot think of a teambhp where gto doesn't have the classic that occupies the pixels below his name.

You have a beater. You have a tourer and you have a sports utility. The thicker the lines between them, the better. The new thar blurs them out.

I recall your post about driving in the midnight cold air with the top down in the jeep while I type this. Pure motoring doesn't get purer. Hope you make the best decision. All the best

EDIT: we generally take things for granted and sometimes fail to realise how much what we have means to us. Till we lose them.
But you will also find the grass greener until you cross over to the other side. Keep getting behind the wheel of the New thar when you can.
But don't lose the classic. I think DBHPian Tejas has summed it up perfectly for you haha

Last edited by viXit : 29th December 2020 at 22:26.
viXit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 22:15   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Going by my experience.

I sold the classic and regret it everyday. EVERY DAY! Not to mention the taunts of friends on Facebook.

I sold the classic for an upgraded modified rig but there is no substitute for a SWB jeep. Trust me. This car is irreplaceable. Thars and their futuristic jeeps will come and go.

I have tried numerous times to buy my classic back and even offered more money but the owner refuses to part with her.

Only guys with the taste of the SWB will know the true joys and pains (lots of pains) of owning one... but fortunately the joy always overrides the pain.

If you are planning to sell her, I call dibs on it GTO! I want first option to buy. But honestly, don't sell. you will regret it everyday.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 22:27   #39
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Decisions such as this are always between the brain and the heart. You can never say one is wrong and the other is right. Both are equally right in their own ways. If it was me , my heart would be on the Classic and my brains would go for the Thar. I am sure it's the same situation with you.

I would go with the suggestion of going with both heart and brain and keep both the Classic and Thar. Reason being -
There is no way you can sell the Classic legally.
Due to its age and other factors it may not be a daily vehicle - just probably a weekend vehicle which you are already using it.
Due to the above reasons, you cannot use it for a long drive too.
If only parking is a constraint, you can keep it outside your building or wait until you get the vertical parking system installed. Keep the Classic on top and the Thar below since the Thar will be used more.
You could park it with any trusted Bhpian who has an extra parking place available in his society or office.

Reasons for getting the Thar -
You can get most of the Classic experience with the Thar (without roof and doors).
You can experience all of that on long drives also ( which you cannot on the Classic)
The Thar would be more fun I believe in an everyday basis than the Classic.

v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 22:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

Will keep the Classic because you cannot buy it new anymore. The Classic is also held by you for more than two decades. You may feel the excitement of getting the Thar when in arrives at your home but sooner or later you are going to miss the Jeep.

Since you have no issue with parking you can always keep both of them. Alternatively you could park your Classic at your farmhouse/second home. This way you can drive up your farm house in the BMW and take the Classic for a spin when you visit. Makes the best sense to me and is what I would do if I had treasured a car for so long. This way you lose nothing.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 29th December 2020 at 22:36.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 22:53   #41
BHPian

What would your usage be like with the Thar? If you do 4x4 events regularly and would also use it around the city like a "normal car", upgrading to it will be of value. But if you will be using it mainly for going to social gatherings where the Classic is currently a standout talking/gazing point, then I don't think the new Thar can replicate that centre-of-attention feel (however imposing it looks).

Since you mention that parking space is not an issue (and money also doesn't seem to be one), why don't you buy the Thar and use it for a year to determine whether it satisfies what you want. Then decide whether to sell off the Classic or abandon the Thar idea and sell it off. Normally, this isn't an advice I would give to anyone but since you will be trading in a very special vehicle, best to have as thorough a trial before that.

Last edited by batladanny : 29th December 2020 at 22:54.
batladanny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 23:08   #42
Senior - BHPian

The poll should have a "Keep the Classic AND buy the Thar" option. Both of them have their own pros and cons - which is why you should keep the Classic for its current duties, and use the Thar for stuff you cannot do in the Classic, but would like to.

Parking could be an issue - but that shouldn't be too difficult to solve
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 23:22   #43
BHPian

Dear GTO, I don't mean to get personal, but you certainly seem to be going through a typical male mid-life crisis Life is cruising along just fine, until one day, out of the blue, you feel the irresistible urge to reinvent your image with something that is fast, red and convertible.

Having spoken so passionately about it for so many years on this forum, the Classic is as much a part of your image, as you are a part of Team-BHP. Even on its own, the Classic represents an era in motoring, an icon inextricably connected to the jeep life. As many have said on this thread, once you've given it away, you'll never again own a real piece of history. And for someone associated so closely with the country's most influential automotive forum, that would really make for an unfortunate statement.

The new Thar on the other hand is surely seductive and seems the perfect muse to ride out the above-mentioned phase, but will it have the same appeal 20 years from now? I certainly don't think so, going purely by factors that determine an iconic status - uniqueness, exclusiveness, desirability and unattainability. What are you choosing it for - features, comfort, convenience and safety that any other car in the market today will offer. And what will you be missing out on - the iconic design and stature, the magnetic head-turning capability, the unbridled freedom and fun and the immeasurable flaunt value.

The new Thar is just another car, it can never be a Classic. It's sacrilegious to even compare the two, so please don't trade in one for the other. That should give you an idea of how I voted.
TAHR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 23:42   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Is GTO's account hacked?
I think the poll section is hacked.

(Arrey Bhai yeh kya Kar rahe ho sab, posts daal rahe classic retain krne ke aur voting Kuch aur ho rhi!!)
Lowflyer23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 23:45   #45
BHPian

Voted for the New Thar.

I respect the thoughts expressed above about the sentiments attached to the Classic.

But I would still part with it and go for the new Thar. Simply because as far as personality goes, the new Thar comes pretty close to the Classic if not right up there. This coupled with the added creature comfort is a no-brainer for me, especially on Mumbai roads.

Also, there might be far fewer options available if (or when?) the Classic needs another engine swap.

P.S. - Spotted a New Thar in Red Rage when I was town side recently and I just wanted to get rid of my car and get one right there!
P.P.S - Change is inevitable; Never say never

Last edited by Romeo_Mike : 29th December 2020 at 23:51.
Romeo_Mike is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks