Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Jeep would you rather have in your garage?
1997 Classic 145 38.87%
2021 Thar 228 61.13%
Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2020, 17:14   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1997 Mahindra Classic vs 2021 Mahindra Thar

Is GTO's account hacked?
androdev is online now   (43) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 17:33   #17
BHPian

Hi GTO.

Who would have thought that the chief moderator of team bhp India will be in a state of doubt regarding cars?
I first thought that it must be a joke.

First things first- how would you dispose off the classic? I mean to whom or where would you sell it? And once it is gone, wouldn't it break your heart to see that it is not being taken care of properly? Heck you will have to change your avatar pic on team bhp. YOUR AVATAR PIC HAS BECOME THE COPYRIGHT TRADEMARK OF TEAM BHP. Classic = GTO. Everyone knows it. You have taken care of it like your spouse as already mentioned. You don't get rid of your spouse. Besides it sips no money except as fuel. Why would you want to sell it. Just for the lack of parking space.

You, of all the people I know, I am the most envious of- reason being- you get to drive all the latest new spanking kick ass cars. When you write a comment- people stop to read it first. You indirectly are an icon here. I am not flattering you but telling the truth. Boy I grew up reading your posts and threads and comments. That jeep is your identity. That classic jeep dear GTO IS YOU. And you cannot and should not part with it.

Play with new thar as you like. But a part of you will always keep on coming back to the classic.

If this were a vote. Mine would be a strong worded NO.
knrn is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 18:00   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear GTO,

Please retain your Classic as the TBHP Mascot, it really is that popular.

You want a fast Jeep and guess what, you can have it, Parking is not a problem in your case, so go ahead and get it next year. Its going to be interesting to see what customizations it would have, being able to match up to the classic is going to be a tall order.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 18:24   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As luck would have it, there are major hurdles in the paperwork. The company that financed my Jeep shut down back in the 90s and after talking to a lot of people, I have come to the conclusion that it is going to be very difficult, and will involve a lot of effort & paperwork to remove the hypothecation.
Don't get me wrong, as of now, I still want to swap the Classic for the Thar, but just wanted to hear the thoughts of BHPians. Which 4x4 of the 2 would you rather own & why?
The removal of hypothecation and transfer of ownership are the least of your problems. The biggest is that your vehicle is not something the government wants you to drive. It's a diesel. It's just 24 years old, so you cannot even get a VA plate for it. It needs a certificate of fitness every 5 years, at a steep price. Also needs a doctored PUC for road use every 3/6 months (won't pass a PUC test fairly). And as in Delhi, the de-registration ogre will come visiting you in Mumbai too, in a year or two (or even sooner), after which the net value of the Classic will be the price of 1500 kg of iron.

Living in Mumbai, you have no choice about hanging on to the Classic legally for long. If you can, transfer it to a rural RTO in MH, where de-registration won't happen so easily. Or just park it for memory's sake. Scrap it if you absolutely must.

And buy that Thar before you get too old to have fun. And look forward to another 24 years.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 29th December 2020 at 18:31.
SS-Traveller is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 18:31   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Also needs a doctored PUC for road use (won't pass a PUC test fairly). And as in Delhi, the de-registration ogre will come visiting you in Mumbai too, in a year or two (or even sooner), after which the net value of the Classic will be the price of 1500 kg of iron.
PUC no such issues, he has a new engine and it will pass the norms applicable for that engine. Even if the green tribunal guideline comes he should be able to move it to classic category by that time.

Quote:
Or just park it for memory's sake.
Since there is a perfect farmhouse close by, away from the salty Mumbai air, it can be a perfect setting for classic and can get used during the visits. Which anyways happen often.

Quote:
And buy that Thar before you get too old to have fun.
Again not an issue like bikes, cars can be enjoyed even at 70's lol

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th December 2020 at 18:32.
Jaggu is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 18:41   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
PUC no such issues, he has a new engine and it will pass the norms applicable for that engine. Even if the green tribunal guideline comes he should be able to move it to classic category by that time.
Not aware how it works in Mumbai, but most DI diesels fail their PUC in Delhi (that's IF any of them are still running).
Quote:
Since there is a perfect farmhouse close by, away from the salty Mumbai air, it can be a perfect setting for classic and can get used during the visits. Which anyways happen often.
The local RTO there - can the registration be transferred there? A Mumbai registered vehicle would be subject to rules for Metros - get rid of private vehicles >15 / >20 years old.
Quote:
Again not an issue like bikes, cars can be enjoyed even at 70's lol
True. Even bikes can be enjoyed in our 70s and 80s. That was just a figure of speech to expedite the decision-making about getting the Thar.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 18:59   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not aware how it works in Mumbai, but most DI diesels fail their PUC in Delhi (that's IF any of them are still running).
It doesn't have a DI engine, it has the Peugeot XD3P engine.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 19:08   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It doesn't have a DI engine, it has the Peugeot XD3P engine.
Just curious: Are the emissions parameters different for the XD3P, compared to the DI? Does it meet Bharat Stage 2 or Stage 3 norms? I'm not entirely familiar with their emissions.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 19:15   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys. Just to add:

- Parking is not an issue at all.

- The Jeep is already registered at a B-town address. I don't think Nashik will come up with an age cap on diesel cars anytime in the near future as it constitutes many rural districts whose economy runs on old Jeeps & UVs.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 19:38   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just curious: Are the emissions parameters different for the XD3P, compared to the DI? Does it meet Bharat Stage 2 or Stage 3 norms? I'm not entirely familiar with their emissions.
If the engine vehicle is Bharath X, it needs to meet emission norm for X and not Y. That is what I know. A city can say a minimum of Y and not allow X, that is what happened in Delhi.
Jaggu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 20:26   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does it meet Bharat Stage 2 or Stage 3 norms?
I have a BS3 engine and clear PUC tests without issue.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 20:34   #27
BHPian

Keep the Classic GTO! You can get a Thar any day, but trust me once you start missing your Classic after your sell it off, it's going to be bad, very bad.
shreyan_k10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 20:37   #28

If I were you, I will hold on to the Classic,. Yes, I second your opinion that New Thar has modern creature comforts, still you can not use that for weekend family trips. one or two years down the line there will be some portals renting out New Thar. You can borrow one from those rental guys or from your friends for that once in a blue moon fun ride. In case of classic once it leaves it garage, it's gone, there is no way you can get one.
sidhu.algods is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 20:40   #29
BHPian

My suggestion:
You have enjoyed it and have memories for 24 years since brand new. Another 5,10 or 20 won't make add much to you.
You have done multiple rebuilds, one or two more won't make you much more satisfied.

How many people would be so fortunate? Many have been just dreaming to own one for those 24 years.

Pass it on to some enthusiast who would cherish it like you did when you first got it home. Get good money and immeasurable blessings in the process.

Voted for new Thar

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 29th December 2020 at 21:03.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 20:59   #30
BHPian

Voted for the 2021 Thar.

Had you been neutral about which one to have in your garage, I'd have voted for the Classic. The new Thar is better equipped and more practical, but if you have no complaints about your current Classic not serving you well due to its lack of everyday usability, then it is clearly the better one to keep. The new Thar is a great car, but it just won't be as special.

However, since you have fallen in love with the 2021 Thar and prefer buying it, I'd say go for it. No logic beats what the heart desires. And what matters in the end is how happy you are with the car, irrespective of what anyone else says.
francisvellara is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks