Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Jeep would you rather have in your garage?
1997 Classic 145 38.87%
2021 Thar 228 61.13%
Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2021, 00:04   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: 1997 Mahindra Classic vs 2021 Mahindra Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
Classic is a 1996 Vehicle which came with a XD3P Peugeot engine which was a 2.2 L engine and made around 62/66 BHP.
The Classic or the CL340DP came with XDP 4.90 (2.1 L) engine. It just happens that GTO got a new engine few years ago from factory, that is how his Classic has a XD3P 2.5L engine.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 01:16   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The Classic or the CL340DP came with XDP 4.90 (2.1 L) engine. It just happens that GTO got a new engine few years ago from factory, that is how his Classic has a XD3P 2.5L engine.
My bad. You are right. The original vehicle came with a XDP engine with 2112 CC.
Old 2nd January 2021, 09:01   #93
Senior - BHPian

If the Poll question was ‘Retain the classic or replace with the 2021 Thar’ I am certain that the Poll results would have been drastically different.

I am sure GTO will find a way to retain the classic, and still find a way to acquire and secure a Thar in the garage.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 10:46   #94
BHPian

Voted for Classic.
Why don't you keep both, if parking is not a constraint!
Iam sure you will definitely be missing the classic, once it is out of the garage.
I never thought you will even think of selling of it.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 11:22   #95
BHPian

I think the best option is sell the Classic to friends/relatives(any of your cousins ) who would take care of it. You might get to go for a spin on it if you sorely miss it.

Its better to buy Thar 2020 and enjoy the vehicle to its fullest .
alexpaul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 19:50   #96
BHPian

Please retain the Classic. You will definitely miss Classic once it is gone. You are emotionally attached to it and moreover it is not giving any trouble then why let it go.
Get hypothecation removed from Classic even if you are not selling it, there might be some way for it.

If Thar is required for sure, you can buy it and retain Classic as well, when parking is not an issue.
As far as having a diverse garage, Classic being open type and Thar can be hard top.
jeygani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 20:01   #97
GTB
BHPian

Voted for Classic!

No way the new Thar could match the Classic. Classic got more good than all-new Thar. If it is only for comfort, you already have BMW 530d for comfortable rides. As other Bhpians mentioned, if possible, keep the Classic and still buy the new Thar.
GTB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 20:52   #98
BHPian

Well, as much surprised I am reading that “your” car is still under hypothecation, good 24 years later, I would equally like to believe that its a subtle signal from the almighty to keep the Classic
Coming to the real world - I have no 2 thoughts on why you should sell your Classic as you have shared countless memories, experiences and have grown with the car literally.
Moreover as you have no issues with parking slot and neither financials, i see no reason why you should sell it off - questions about comparison just does not arise.
I (and most of us) have not met you in person

BUT

have a mental image of your’s and that is
GTO = Black Mahindra Classic

Sorry ! Not the BMW and wont be THAR or for that matter any modern car on 4 wheels

Last edited by Cooltronics : 2nd January 2021 at 20:54.
Cooltronics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 20:59   #99
Senior - BHPian

Buy anything. But don't replace the classic.
amalji is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 10:30   #100
BHPian

@GTO,

If i was in your position I would have bought new Thar but retained the Classic as well. Since you have enough parking space available, this should not be a problem either.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 18:04   #101
BHPian

Didn't vote for any option as it will skew the results in a poll which I also believe (as mentioned by other fellas) is not setup correctly i.e. the intent of the poll was a simple question "retain classic or not vs thar" and my vote/suggestion to that would be yes. The way poll is currently setup is not about retaining classic but having one of those choices which I believe misses the point.

Also, you can think about this whole conundrum from another viewpoint : to whom will you sell your classic if you decide to do so ? Any worthy owner you can think of ? This may add another dimension to the equation.

Would like to end with this :
There are some things which money can't buy and your classic for sure is one of them
viscosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 18:46   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

A Classic dilemma ! (auto-pun )

Keep the Classic - you wont get that again ! Especially after all the care you have given it.
However, the 2020 Thar will be a newer machine, with all the advantages that it has over the Classic.

Is there any way you can keep the Classic elsewhere - may be outside the city where you go /can go regularly ? This way you can have both options.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 18:57   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Attachment 2099077

BUT

As luck would have it, there are major hurdles in the paperwork. The company that financed my Jeep shut down back in the 90s and after talking to a lot of people, I have come to the conclusion that it is going to be very difficult, and will involve a lot of effort & paperwork to remove the hypothecation. So, my Jeep is still standing down the house like the spouse who still madly loves you and won't give you a divorce .

Did you find a solution for your Hypothecation removal problem?

I recently came across a video explaining the process for removing hypothecation in cases where the Hypothecation agency has gone defunct.

But I don't know if this method is possible in RTOs outside Kerala. The video was in Malayalam and he said this is for Kerala MVD.

The process involves, the owner sending a request to the (defunct) agency to the last known address they have(or what's mentioned in their documents) using a Registered Letter requesting the NOC. Since the addresses doesn't exist, the letter would be returned and the post office will inform the sender that the address doesn't exist/ the post couldn't be delivered. The owner can then approach the RTO seeking their help in removing the hypothecation in this "special" case. The RTO may conduct their own "investigation " by sending their own registered letter to the address of the hypothecation agency to confirm that they have closed down. Then, the RTO may proceed with helping the owner terminate the Hypothecation.

I don't know if this service is available in other states.

Whether you want to sell the Classic or not, it might still a good idea to terminate the hypothecation if you can, for peace of mind.

Last edited by ZenMaster : 9th January 2021 at 18:58. Reason: Sentence Addition
ZenMaster is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 12:08   #104
BHPian

I am surprised that you are even considering letting go of the Classic. It is a non-comparison. Just keep the Classic.

In fact, with the new Thar, I feel even more attached to my first Gen (2015 model) Thar. It looks more "jeep like," rugged, and Classic! A hark back to something of the past - which I am sure a lot of the older jeep/thar fans can relate to.

Last edited by johy : 11th January 2021 at 12:19. Reason: Added text
johy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 07:03   #105

Hi

So did you buy the new one ?

I am eager to know since at the launch of THAR, GTO mentioned that he’ll buy it, when the initial niggles are all sorted out.

If GTO buys it, then the THAR is a sorted car now.
Dsan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks