Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2021, 10:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass vs VW T-Roc vs Hyundai Tucson

Hi SkR - You are missing the Safari in your shortlist, it ticks most of your boxes and worth considering - 27L OTR, acceptable reliability, should be durable in the long run (my in-laws TATA's ran for 1.5+L KM's - Indica v2, Manza, Aria), but avl only in 2L diesel (but very Torquey), better fit n finish for a TATA (I moved from a VW Jetta), great head turning styling, butch looks, not much of a brand value but I have heard comments that it looks like a Land Rover, comfortable seating for 4 (captain seats) or 5 (bench seats) +2 seats or boot space, but avl only in a FWD which is sufficient in 99% conditions (I live temp in a farm with a floody n muddy path)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabkaraja View Post
Hi

I started the hunt for an SUV as an upgrade from my 6-year old Jazz Diesel and all-new City. I had these criteria
[*]budget 25-28L[*]longterm reliability & durability[*]petrol priority over diesel[*]Fit & Finish. Style. Brand value[*]comfortable seating for 5[*]AWD or 4WD (good to have)[/list]
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 10:58   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usb101 View Post
I have the Tucson Diesel 2.0 AWD AT. Owned it for 2 years now, done about 25k kms, which is a lot given quite a number of months were spent in lockdown.

I have never regretted the decision. It has been a wonderful companion and never fails to bring a smile to my face when I get behind the wheel. The sheer power is tough to match. It comes with 3 years free maintenance. All wheel drive means you can accelerate without worrying about wheel spin. It gives me between 14 and 18 kmpl despite my far from frugal driving habits - put it on cruise control on the highways and even at 120 kmph on the expressway you will get 15 kmpl.
I fully agree and would have taken the plunge if this proposition was 2 years back. Tucson checks on most points including cost - the only concern being putting money on an aged model. I have to hand over my existing one next month - so a replacement is due. I am trying to prolong the decision to wait for Tiguan or Tucson 2022.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Any reason you aren't considering the new Harrier? It's got amazing street presence. And it's AT box is from Tucson I believe.

And as regards Alcazar, it doesn't belong to the bracket that you're considering. It seems underpowered, and the 3rd row seating is usable only for kids under 10 years age. I am a short person and even I couldn't sit in it.
For a fleeting moment, I considered Harrier & Safari (which looks awesome for the price point). Then I chanced upon this and dropped the idea. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...review-63.html (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review). My first was a Tata vehicle and remember my after-sales & service experience was.

In all, what I realized is that there is a dearth of good midsize SUV. Meanwhile the hunt is on!
Old 13th July 2021, 11:53   #18

Quote:
I fully agree and would have taken the plunge if this proposition was 2 years back. Tucson checks on most points including cost - the only concern being putting money on an aged model. I have to hand over my existing one next month - so a replacement is due. I am trying to prolong the decision to wait for Tiguan or Tucson 2022.
'Aged' may be a bit harsh, but I do agree that waiting for the 2022 would make more sense, if that was an option. The current model of the Tucson available for sale, however, still ticks all the boxes, even if one were to prefer the 2022 model, which may only get here in 2023. I wanted to get the facelifted model that was expected in 2019 but finally only launched in 2020. Verna Diesel completed 10 years and policeman started catching me at toll barriers to take it directly to the scrap yard, I got a hunted feeling. So I went ahead with the Tucson available, though it felt like a compromise at the time. Like I said, no regrets.

My plan B was the Turbo Petrol top-end Seltos. New launch, much more cost effective, and equivalent to the Compass (in my view) at a much more reasonable price and service costs. If you do a feature and power/fuel efficiency comparison between the Seltos and the Compass, you may be surprised. Features like 360 degree camera and heads up navigation prompts available on the Seltos are not available in many cases even in higher segments. The idea here is to use it for 2-3 years, then sell it off and upgrade to the Tucson 2022/23. Lower depreciation for 3 years makes up for any potential loss at the time of sale. And if all the options are a compromise, I would try and put myself in a position where I can get a no-compromise solution in a year or two, rather than buying something overpriced (both upfront and in terms of running costs) - the financial pain tempers the emotional enjoyment somewhat.

No perfect answers is the reality. You need to see what compromises work for you. Best wishes!

Last edited by aah78 : 14th July 2021 at 01:46. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 13th July 2021, 12:14   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
New Tucson will be positioned as a replacement for Santa Fe as per Autocar. So, forget about ˜25 range, they will put it in the higher bracket.
Maybe. But even at 35 lacs it would be a better deal than a VW or Skoda or equivalent European vehicle with attendant running costs and maintenance drama. If one looks at the total cost of owning the vehicle over 5 years rather than just the upfront cost, the picture may look very different if one manufacturer is giving 3 years of maintenance free and the other one is charging 50k every 6 months for service, with much higher spares cost as well.

But more than anything else, personally I feel a vehicle should be trouble free. I would be willing to pay a premium for a vehicle that has low maintenance and high reliability with easy and wide spread service availability. If I can get that at a discount, so much the better.

This is really the problem about choice: everybody values something different.
Usb101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 12:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridaygandhi View Post
Petrol and FE won't go together in the era of turbo petrols.
Same is not true for T-Roc.

T-Roc
Fun To Drive
Good Mileage ( City 8-13 kmpl, highways 16-21 kmpl)
Mileage is very sensitive to driving style ( turbo engine)
Good for a small family
5 Star Euro NCAP ( T-Roc 2021 maybe 4 star as Lane Assist & Front Assist are omitted but still safer than its competitors)
Not suited for bad roads ( ride quality & tyre is prone to cut/cracks)
Digital Cockpit
Sunroof
Boot space is okay ( can be set to two positions)

Last edited by sagwal : 13th July 2021 at 12:26. Reason: typo
sagwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 12:45   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagwal View Post
Same is not true for T-Roc.
I agree on the fun-to-drive part. What I disliked most is the hump in the 2nd row. Its good enough for up to 10-year-olds with feet planted on the hump.

Being a CBUm, my main concern with T-Roc was the availability of parts. I keep only one vehicle at a time and can't afford to let it sit idle in the workshop waiting!

Last edited by aah78 : 14th July 2021 at 01:46. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 13th July 2021, 13:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagwal View Post
T-Roc
Fun To Drive
Good Mileage ( City 8-13 kmpl, highways 16-21 kmpl)
Interesting, question.Did you actually test these manually tankful to tankful method or are these VW fed MID figures?

Last edited by aah78 : 14th July 2021 at 01:47. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Maky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 13:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
  • Compass AT - 4x4 Limited Diesel or 4x2 AT Petrol. The TD was good. Apart from budget petrol doesn't have a 4x4 in AT. Single-digit mileage is also a concern. Somewhere it's going to be choosing one over the other.
  • T-Roc - It was punchy and fun. 3rd person sitting on the second row is an issue. Also about parts and repair availability being a CBU.
  • Tucson - looks like a good package. haven't done TD yet
  • used X1 (5-year old from dealer) - Being old & TCO on the back of my mind.
I don't have a very good understanding of cars in this segment. So, feel free to correct me.
I believe you should consider -

Compass AT or T-Roc if
  • You like good driving dynamics.
  • 5th rear passenger is rare.
  • (T-Roc specific) : Since its a CBU, you should consider availability of parts in case of any unfortunate incident. Jeep Compass will have better availability.

Hyundai Tuscon if
  • You can wait for the new Hyundai Tuscon.
  • Good feature list is your priority.
  • Decent space for occasional 5th rear passenger.

I've no idea about used X1 or Tiguan maintenance. So, cannot comment there.
Old 13th July 2021, 14:00   #24
BHPian

Given your budget (assuming it is ONR), I strongly recommend you not to consider the korean siblings, kushaq, t-roc, or anything below 20L for obvious reasons.

You have 4 options to consider in this segment - Harrier, Compass, Tucson, Hector.
Hector - Doesn't have any character. Also, I don't recommend it since you have better options. And it's not an MG after all (it's a renamed Baojun 530).
Compass - Best driver's car. Excellent build quality and feels premium. Petrol is underpowered and thirsty. Diesel manual is the one to go for. Diesel auto is a big letdown. Back seat space is best only for 2 adults. Expensive to own and maintain. Reliable car. Loaded with all the bells and whistles. Poor service network. Not so good aftersales support.
Tucson - End of its lifecycle. We can expect the new Tucson in India either in late 2021 or early 2022.
Harrier - Best looking car in this segment. Spacious enough for 5. Landrover platform - Excellent ride and handling. Excellent build quality. Fit and Finish needs improvement. After-sales support needs improvement. Excellent service network. Least expensive to own and maintain of the 3. Diesel auto is the one to go for. Reliable car except for small niggles here and there like infotainment issue which can be easily fixed. Lacks features.

If you can hold on for a couple of more months which I strongly recommend (since you are a petrol head), you will have more options - VW Tiguan, XUV700 (even though its a 7 seater), etc.
Old 13th July 2021, 14:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Interesting, question..
Did you actually test these manually tankfull to tankfull method or are these VW fed MID figures?
T-Roc shows 3-4% higher mileage than actual (calculated using Drivvo app).
If we drive this car with light foot it can give upto 21 kmpl on good highways.
ACT , Coasting etc help a lot in achieving good mileage.
I did an experiment on 4 lane empty highway to check MAX mileage of T-Roc
29 KMPL for 25 km

Few Trips mileage
Karnal to Agra 21.6 kmpl (video on youtube)
Agra to Jabalpur 21 kmpl( video on youtube)
Jabalpur to Allahabad 25 kmpl
I was driving with light foot in above tours.
Usually 16-18 kmpl is normal with little sporty driving on highways.

My overall mileage is 14.8 kmpl (19,500 km)

Last edited by sagwal : 13th July 2021 at 14:06. Reason: Typo
sagwal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 14:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Since you mentioned petrol,

1. The T-Roc's 1.5 is arguably better performing than the Jeep's 1.4.
2. The T-Roc has Cylinder deactivation, which has the potential to achieve good fuel efficiency on long runs (as mentioned by @Sagwal above).
3. The Tucson's 2.0 petrol is not known for High Performance. It is a sedate unit.

If you go for Diesel, the equation changes completely.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 14:28   #27
BHPian

All of these cars have compromises. Don't go for new Mahindra/Tata product hence keep XUV700 out of the picture.

For that matter don't buy any newly launched product instead buy model that came out in 2019/20 maybe. As you will probably have relatively few niggles in that SUV/car.

Used X1 could be considered as first owner has taken depreciation hit so look for that or why not Creta/ XUV 500?

XUV 500 is a sorted product by now and dealers are offering discounts plus it has lot of good features. Don't think its an old product instead it has aged like a fine wine. Most SUV's as it is look almost similar so it does not matter what name they carry i.e. new /old.

My choices XUV 500 / used X1 / Creta.
Old 13th July 2021, 14:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion -

Wait for Tiguan 2 TSI, would be the best bet. Surely will be more expensive seeing the new Octavia prices.

From your list -

T-ROC definitely for petrol. Honestly I did not find much difference in space between Compass and T-ROC and both are well built. But T-ROC is much better in performance than Compass petrol.

Compass for diesel, if you are okay with the space and the AT, a good ride and handling balance and would be more fun to drive on highways. Tucson is more practical choice, but as others mentioned interiors does not feel premium and car is soft sprung too. But still its the best Hyundai (and only that I like) available in India.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 01:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
  • Compass AT - 4x4 Limited Diesel or 4x2 AT Petrol. The TD was good. Apart from budget petrol doesn't have a 4x4 in AT. Single-digit *mileage is also a concern. Somewhere it's going to be choosing one over the other.
  • T-Roc - It was punchy and fun. 3rd person sitting on the second row is an issue. Also about parts and repair availability being a CBU.
  • Tucson - looks like a good package. haven't done TD yet
  • used X1 (5-year old from dealer) - Being old & TCO on the back of my mind.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices, the only catch here is the choice of variant.

As many have pointed out, if it's Jeep Compass the best (perhaps the only recommended) option would be the diesel manual. I have driven the automatics and found them less than inspiring.

Petrol Tucson is the same story, but diesel automatic(this is where I put my money), if you can look past the dated interiors, is a pretty well-rounded car. You will be surprised by the driving dynamics. I know many would not associate Hyundai with driving pleasure, but this car will surprise you. I moved to Tucson from Octavia 1.8 TSI and I can't say I miss any fun.
If petrol is the only option you are looking at, among the available cars in the market T-Roc would be the best buy. This is the only car on your list that I have never driven or even been in. But considering it's a VW and the 1.5 TSI with DSG, you can't go wrong if you are looking for an exciting and fun car. Yes the compromise would be in terms of practicality, space and comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
  • You can wait for the new Hyundai Tuscon.
  • Good feature list is your priority.
  • Decent space for occasional 5th rear passenger.
The comment on the feature list would not be accurate if we are talking about the current generation Tucson. Within the segment, it is the most basic - the Jeep and I guess even T-Roc will trample Tucson when it comes to features.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th July 2021 at 01:49. Reason: Quotes trimmed.
Old 14th July 2021, 12:16   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulraag View Post
As many have pointed out, if it's Jeep Compass the best (perhaps the only recommended) option would be the diesel manual.
=====
Within the segment, it is the most basic - the Jeep and I guess even T-Roc will trample Tucson when it comes to features.
T-Roc has lost some safety features in the second arrival like lane assist, brake assist. It lacks a cruise control which can be useful on the long trips
sabkaraja is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks