Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2021, 22:36   #31

Re: Jeep Compass vs VW T-Roc vs Hyundai Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabkaraja View Post
Hi

I started the hunt for an SUV as an upgrade from my 6-year old Jazz Diesel and all-new City.

I had these criteria
  1. budget 25-28L
  2. longterm reliability & durability
  3. petrol priority over diesel
  4. Fit & Finish. Style. Brand value
  5. comfortable seating for 5
  6. AWD or 4WD (good to have)
After a lot of considerations, I shortlisted
  • Compass AT - 4x4 Limited Diesel or 4x2 AT Petrol. The TD was good. Apart from budget petrol doesn't have a 4x4 in AT. Single-digit mileage is also a concern. Somewhere it's going to be choosing one over the other.
  • T-Roc - It was punchy and fun. 3rd person sitting on the second row is an issue. Also about parts and repair availability being a CBU.
  • Tucson - looks like a good package. haven't done TD yet
  • used X1 (5-year old from dealer) - Being old & TCO on the back of my mind.
There some others which crossed my mind
  • Seltos (reliability)
  • XUV (considered after reading the 4x4 forum. have ridden earlier models. fit & finish concern)
  • Kushaq (space. and Skoda reliability after going through threads)
  • Taigun - yet to be seen
I went through most of the threads but I am split between the options. Any feedback from long term owners are appreciated

I am a Tuscon owner, 4 years and 1.04 lac kilometres, never regretted of buying it. I know it is not the best performing or looking cars but trust me cars need to be more practical than a good-looker. I just love so called boring but practical cars, and own a lot of them like Honda Jazz, Hyundai Creta, Hyundai Tuscon and Maruti Ertiga.

So if you want to buy cars go for the most practical option, buy tuscon with closed eyes. Maybe you get a good discount offer as the new one is coming next year.
Old 14th July 2021, 23:01   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Since you mentioned petrol,

1. The T-Roc's 1.5 is arguably better performing than the Jeep's 1.4.
2. The T-Roc has Cylinder deactivation, which has the potential to achieve good fuel efficiency on long runs (as mentioned by @Sagwal above).
3. The Tucson's 2.0 petrol is not known for High Performance. It is a sedate unit.

If you go for Diesel, the equation changes completely.
Jeep's petrol engine is not at all worth the price tag. T-Roc clearly is a better choice in Petrol engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulraag View Post
The comment on the feature list would not be accurate if we are talking about the current generation Tucson. Within the segment, it is the most basic - the Jeep and I guess even T-Roc will trample Tucson when it comes to features.
Like I said as a first point. If "You can wait for the new Hyundai Tuscon.".
Of course the dated Tuscon is not worth it.
rAijin_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 21:51   #33
BHPian

I am looking for a replacement for my SX4 Zxi (2011) and have a budget of maximum 26.5 lacs. My Aspire TDCi (2015) will still be used as our primary car.

Criteria:
  • Long term reliability with few niggles.
  • Scores high on safety.
  • Space for four adults and one child. Average height in family 5’4.
  • Decent boot space for our occasional trip to my native. Around 1400 km to my native.
  • MT or AT both can work.
  • Maximum budget of 26.5L
  • The length of the car should not be more than our current Sx4. It is because of our tight parking space.
  • Brand value.
  • The yearly running on the new car will be around 5k to 7k only.

Note: 90% of the usage will be in the city.

Currently, I have shortlisted:

1) Jeep Compass Limited (O) MT - costing 25.70 lacs on the road.

After waiting for two weeks and follow up I got the test drive for Compass Limited (O) MT. The TD drive was for around 8 to 9 Kms.

Pros:
  • You sit high and have good visibility on the road.
  • Interior feels premium and feels like a car costing 26L.
  • The Rearview camera is good.
  • Good driving dynamics.
  • Clutch is not very hard and seems on par with my Aspire Diesel.
  • Brand value.

Cons:
  • I am 5’5 and had to pull my seat more towards steering, due to which my knees are very close to the lower dash panel under the steering wheel. A gap of 2-3 inches remains between my knees and the panel.
  • The clutch travel is long, and the first gear ratio is very short due to which driving in bumper to bumper traffic might be uncomfortable.
  • Small boot space.
  • The colours on most of the Compass looks dull when compared to other cars. Example white looks off white on old Compass and while the one in the showroom or the new one is clear white.
  • Thin service network.
  • Missing headrest for the middle passenger and lap seat belt.

Concerns:
I am constantly seeing owners on Facebook groups complaining about issues or niggles. Problems like rattling, noises, fuel pump, stiff clutch, car suddenly stopping and lately, one of the owners posted a video of water leaking inside the cabin. All these issues make me assume that the quality control in the Compass is not good, and the long term reliability will be an issue.

Also, I am not sure if parts like fuel pump or clutch plates are covered under warranty.

2) Hyundai Tucson 2WD AT GL (O) Diesel costing 28.30 lacs. The dealer offered a discount of 90K, will be waiting for the festive season for more deals.

Pros:
  • Looks bigger than Compas.
  • Super smooth engine and gearbox. A lot of punch on offer.
  • I felt the ride quality is almost similar to Compass; note that the test drive for Tucson was for around three to four km only.
  • Bigger service network.
  • Hyundai premium assurance.
  • Bigger boot space.
  • Headrest for the middle passenger.

Cons:
  • The front looks similar to old Creta. It could be easily be mistaken as Creta when seen from the front.
  • Interiors look plain and dated.
  • Lower ground clearance and sitting position.

Concerns:
  • Parts availability.
  • Only one dealer in Ahmedabad and hence only one service centre for Tucson.
  • Not sure if the service engineers/mechanics are adequately trained or have the required experience with Tucson due to low sales.
  • It can be easily mistaken as old generation Creta. It does not look like a car worth 26L+

Other options that did not fit the criteria.

Kushaq: Limited space in the back due to bucket seats.
Harrier and Hector: Because of the larger dimensions.
T-roc: Smaller boot space and space in the rear.

Neither Compass nor Tucson sold in India is tested by GNCAP. However, people say that Fiat won’t compromise on safety aspects, and the build quality is like a tank. I have read in team-bhp forum that due to the placement of oil filter for the 2.0 Multijet engines behind the ‘ABC’ pedals during a frontal impact, the oil filter and some other associated parts may intrude through and push the ABC pedals inwards. This may cause leg injury. Not sure if we should consider this aspect or not. But my knee is closer to the panel under the steering wheel in Compass when compared with Tucson.

On the other hand, Tucson is a CKD, and as per the diagrams shared on one of the teambhp forums, the usages of steel strength is the same compared to Tucson sold in the First World countries. I understand that this does not guarantee that the car will be safe.

Which one of them will be a more safe car in the event of a crash, and which one of them will be a better choice if we consider lesser niggles in ownership and will be more reliable in the long term.

Is the space on the back seat the same on both Compass and Tucson, or does Tucson have much more space? I felt it is almost the same.

Experts and owners, please provide your feedback and help me with this dilemma.
Abhisheksinh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 00:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
thanks for the feedback. Really helpful

Tiguan - latest word is that Tiguan will be launching in Oct'21. fingers crossed that pricing will be competitive for the 5-seater.
Innova - I don't like the shape as an ownership vehicle (personal choice)
Tucson - what's holding me back is that there may be new-gen Tucson next year. petrol doesn't have AWD though
XUV700 - Q2/FY2022 launch
Alcazar - is too big for an occasional family trip
Mahindra is eyeing launch in late September/ Early October for XUV 700 to coincide with festival season. More details keep coming every few days and it's not too far I believe. If you can wait few months, it will be loaded with technology and should have better fit and finish. Though new launch vehicle is expected to have its own fair share of niggles.
Old 1st August 2021, 12:52   #35
BANNED

Let's cover your shortlisted cars first:
1. Compass petrol AT: Has a dry-type dct gearbox. In the hot Indian climate and grinding traffic, it'll be a reliability nightmare.
2. T-Roc: A CBU being brought to India in strictly limited numbers. Spares will surely be an issue, and above that VW aftersales still has a long way to go. Plus it has a DSG gearbox albeit a wet type, but still not a very reliable choice and is a nightmare to maintain.
3. Tucson: A 25 lakh Rupee Hyundai? The society will reject you.
Although if you are Okay with it, it's a reasonable choice. But Hyundai Petrols aren't the best engines around. Keep that in mind.
4. Used X1: An entry-level Beemer. It has the snob value. But look under the bonnet and it's full of plastic crap. Engine gearbox combo is somewhat alright in the long term but it is the other mechanical bits and electrics that make it a nightmare to maintain. Reliability ratings are amongst the worst globally.

In all probability, you should either choose the Jeep Diesel AT or a Jeep Petrol Manual. Else a used Fortuner petrol AT or an Endeavour 3.2 will be something to look out for.
CarMaster_059 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 16:14   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhisheksinh View Post
I am looking for a replacement for my SX4 Zxi (2011) and have a budget of maximum 26.5 lacs. My Aspire TDCi (2015) will still be used as our primary car.
From your criteria and requirements, what you want is a car that is the best of all worlds. Let me say that you are not alone.
Unfortunately, there is no car that was ever made/will be ever made that meets our expectations.

Now, based on your budget of 26.5 lakhs on-road, you have only 2 options - Petrol Automatic or an EV. I strongly recommend you to consider EV.

The overall mathematics of owning an EV is at least 60%-70% less compared to an ICE engine due to obvious reasons. Since your running is only 7K/year, in fact, EV is the one you should for. The only options in your budget are Tata Nexon, Hyundai Kona, MG ZS. Your occasional native (1400*2 km) trip can also be taken care of by taking appropriate breaks/stop over to charge your car.

In order of options based on your criteria - Nexon, ZS and Kona. I strongly request and recommend you to experience/feel/TD the cars before you come to any conclusion.

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd August 2021 at 20:18. Reason: Quoting a long post hampers readability.
Old 21st August 2021, 02:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I started the hunt for an SUV as an upgrade from my 6-year old Jazz Diesel and all-new City.

I had these criteria
  1. budget 25-28L
  2. longterm reliability & durability
  3. petrol priority over diesel
  4. Fit & Finish. Style. Brand value
  5. comfortable seating for 5
  6. AWD or 4WD (good to have)
After a lot of considerations, I shortlisted
  • Compass AT - 4x4 Limited Diesel or 4x2 AT Petrol. The TD was good. Apart from budget petrol doesn't have a 4x4 in AT. Single-digit mileage is also a concern. Somewhere it's going to be choosing one over the other.
  • T-Roc - It was punchy and fun. 3rd person sitting on the second row is an issue. Also about parts and repair availability being a CBU.
  • Tucson - looks like a good package. haven't done TD yet
  • used X1 (5-year old from dealer) - Being old & TCO on the back of my mind.
There some others which crossed my mind
  • Seltos (reliability)
  • XUV (considered after reading the 4x4 forum. have ridden earlier models. fit & finish concern)
  • Kushaq (space. and Skoda reliability after going through threads)
  • Taigun - yet to be seen
I went through most of the threads but I am split between the options. Any feedback from long term owners are appreciated

Hi Sabkaraja I own a Compass Petrol 2021 Petrol DDCT . And I Tded the Harrier, Creta, Tucson, Tiguan , Troc . Have also driven thr Compass Diesel Old and New .

The ZF9 on the new Compass diesel is responsive unlike what older Compass . I did not go for it as my driving distance does not make it cost effective . Wrt laziness of DDCT , my thoughts are that too much is made of it. It is Turbo plus DDCT and many do not understand how turbo works and that it demands a different throttling behavior. For long drives it is a boon as it leads reduced foot fatigue. The Compass Petrol in traffic - needs no throttle. It creeps without it.

If soft suspension is a want- then no one comes close to Renault- perhaps Citroën. The Compass has been wonderful to drive and the closest to my liking was been Tiguan - but it higher than my budget. Tucson looks smart , and drives well but getting the Sales team to sell you one will take an effort.
CarEnthusiast10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:40   #38
BHPian

I am also eyeing the petrol DDCT Compass (the base version) as I felt it ticked most of the boxes and my driving mileage (coupled with the NCR rule) preclude the diesel. The turbo engines as pointed out have an initial lag (I could feel the same in the Kushaq and the Jeep too) but the major reason I am a little skeptical now, is the reliability of the vehicle. Have been reading about a lot of issues related to after sales and battery discharge in twitter/facebook.

Jeep no doubt feels premium and appearance and build quality are good. Will take a call near about the festival season.
Luke1972 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:08   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEnthusiast10 View Post
Hi Sabkaraja I own a Compass Petrol 2021 Petrol DDCT . And I Tded the Harrier, Creta, Tucson, Tiguan , Troc . Have also driven thr Compass Diesel Old and New .
After much thought, I have paid the booking amount for Compass Limited (O) Diesel 4x4 AT.

Saying no to T-Roc was a tearjerker. The positives in favour was the looks, reassurance of a tried & tested European vehicle. I had to say no because of the concerns of an after sales service / parts of a CBU model. And wanted more legroom in the second row.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd August 2021 at 14:10.
sabkaraja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 13:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
After much thought, I have paid the booking amount for Compass Limited (O) Diesel 4x4 AT.
Hi, I am also contemplating on this model. Is Jeep offering any discounts and whether any discounts from dealer as well?
Old 21st September 2021, 12:59   #41
BHPian

Replacing EcoSport with a car from higher category

Of the two ford Ecosports (TDCI Sport variant) we had, we sold one recently and are planning to upgrade this vacant spot with a car from a higher category. The budget is capped at 30L

Background:
We have multiple cars at our house. Apart from serving us the usually point A to point B commute, they also act as special purpose vehicles .

1: Ecosport:
Pros:
Excellent handling
Good mileage
Feature Loaded (being top end)
Cons:
17" tires are at times a bit delicate to handle.

2: Duster AMT:
Pros':
Magic Carpet ride
Feels more spacious than other cars
Feels rugged.
Cons:
Age-old interiors
Unergonomic cabin
Renault ASS is a bit on the expensive side compared to other cars we own (Its not something that bothers us a lot)

3: Polo GT TSI AT
Pros':
Super peppy ride (absolutely hoot to ride)
Handling
Cons:
Feels a bit low-slung at times.
At times we feel less pampered compared to Ecosport.

----

Wish List
  1. We would like it to be diesel.
  2. Has to be automatic
  3. 7 Seater is NOT a requirement
  4. Handling should be good.
  5. Decent Feature list (Must Haves: Andriod auto/Car play, Auto AC, Auto Headlamps)
  6. Would love to have paddle shifters
  7. 4/5 GNCAP ratings are a must. So no KIA/Hyundai (apart from Tuscon).
  8. After Ford's exist, I trust less on new brands like Jeep or Citreon.

Cars which we have currently shortlisted are all over the place for now.

Innova Crysta Automatic (Top end)
Pros'
Ride quality is good
Diesel & Automatic
The feature list is decent enough
Closing the last row of seats gives us loads of space
It's a Toyota
Cons:
31 L OTR in Bangalore
I felt it has a bit of body roll (Not that it concerned me a lot during the TD)

BMW X1 (From TBhp classified)
Have decided that if I buy one of the luxury brands, then it will be from either Approved ones (Audi approved, BMW pre-owned, or Merc) or from a TBhipan

Pro's
Loved the handling
A segment higher
Boot space & cabin is as much as we need.
The feature list is as per my requirement.
Cons:
Don't know if the asking price of 29L is worth it or not. It's run 17K km.

Audi Q3 pre-owned
Got good feedback from owners about driving/handling- Haven't TDed this
The cabin is a bit dated (Not dated as it is in Duster)
Don't know how to pick a good pre-owned
Audi (Approved) Bangalore do not have a Q3 in their stock.

Tuscon: New
Heard good things about this
Only vehicle from Hyundai stable which I like.
It's got AWD, Diesel & Automatic
The newer gen change is not as per my liking (saw the review by Mat Watson on CarWow Youtube channel)

Wild card entries thrown by my family :
  1. Taigun/Kushaq top end
  2. XUV700: I am always a bit apprehensive about buying new models from Mahindra.
  3. Harrier/Safari twins :
  4. Upcoming Tiguan: Only available in Petrol avatar (2.0 TSI)
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 20:24   #42
BHPian

Re: Replacing EcoSport with a car from higher category

Although I can't vote, my vote without a wink would be for the Tucson purely for its comfort, ride quality and practicality it offers versus the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi792 View Post
Of the two ford Ecosports (TDCI Sport variant) we had, we sold one recently and are planning to upgrade this vacant spot with a car from a higher category. The budget is capped at 30L
From the options you have listed and your requirements, Tucson fits the bill to tee (except for the paddle shifters). Great diesel engine, superb transmission and lots of space. You will enjoy this machine for long.
Old 23rd September 2021, 22:07   #43
BHPian

You can also consider the Audi Q2 with the AWD and the discounts being offerred now maybe would be around your budget
Old 4th October 2021, 17:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
New Tucson will be positioned as a replacement for Santa Fe as per Autocar. So, forget about ˜25 range, they will put it in the higher bracket.
Mate can you help me with the link to the article. I was trying hard to see when the Tucson was being launched. The current car is good in terms of drivability, power, space and dynamics and Hyundai wont leave our shores for sure for the next many years. But if an update comes after an year of investing INR 30 L, its not the best thing for ones stomach. I fee that new one could cost between INR 35-40L. It wont be around 25 L, as it may cannibalize top end sales of Creata.
Old 27th October 2021, 08:29   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha Venkat View Post
Mate can you help me with the link to the article. I was trying hard to see when the Tucson was being launched.
A google search led me to this.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...seating-409719

and https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...options-418600
This one is more recent.

It says the car would come in two wheelbase options, and India might see only one - the one with longer wheelbase.

I would expect the prices to touch or cross 30 lakhs ex showroom.

But these are old articles. The competition has evolved - XUV 700 would be a more mature product by then. And we have already seen the covid and the chip shortage disruptions.

I would not rely on such old articles for any decision making.
gary is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks