Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2022, 13:24   #16
BHPian

Re: 23-lakh Skoda Kushaq vs 41-lakh VW Tiguan | Is it a fair comparison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I had 40-lakhs in my pocket for a crossover, what I would really do is buy either the Kodiaq, Tucson, Carnival or Compass / Meridian Diesel AT. Would have recommended the 30-lakh XUV700 to you, truly an SUV that punches above its weight. But the waiting periods are insane for the fully loaded variant.
Hey GTO, I don't see the recommendation of C5 Aircross in your list in the 40 lakh bracket. But this has been one of your favourites, as I have seen in many comments so far. I am saying more so, as I am about to finalise the C5 for my purchase .

Rear seat space is restricted for C5. But, as per the requirement from this thread, two growing kids can easily be accommodated in the rear seats of C5.
sups is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 13:28   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I have experienced both cars since I was shopping between Kushaq/Slavia and my cousin owns a Tiguan. No the only thing the two cars have in common is the VAG Badge and the foot pedals (I'm serious). And the only thing that the Kushaq fares better is in sound quality if you are getting the 10 inch unit + Amp + Sub. Otherwise the Tiguan is the typical German luxury car while the Kushaq is more of a watered down Karoq, which itself is not in the league of the Tiguan.

The Kushaq's price band is more at the 19L. The 1.5 is a niche product for which the premium is separate. But the rest of the car is not in the 20L bracket. Same with the Slavia too.

Last edited by audioholic : 28th August 2022 at 13:30.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 16:39   #18
BHPian

Superb discussion- the topic in larger sense is cross-shopping between two different segments. I am in process of deciding a car by Dec and I make such comparisons myself. Never discussed it openly as I thought it would be considered childish. But this post and discussion is really helpful and reading it actually gives you a line of things which one needs to think about while making cross segment comparisons.

T-BHP is the best :-)
SinghBHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 19:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nks81 View Post
For now I am just comparing Tiguan to the Kushaq
Incidentally, I have test driven both of these, albeit not back to back. Here are my thoughts:

The Tiguan is a good car but in my honest opinion, not worth the asking price, not to mention the harsh ride quality. Agree on its merits like good build quality, a potent engine, and a slick gearbox but I'd much rather spend that extra 5-6 lac and get a Kodiaq, which seems to be relatively more VFM for the luxury and panache it offers. The Tiguan somehow does not feel like a 42 lac rupees car, no offense to fans and owners. Test drive one, and you'll know what I am talking about.

The Kushaq is a good car for its asking price, if one is okay with the minor niggles being reported.

If budget is not a constraint then I'd strongly recommend the Kodiaq. Other good options are Compass/Meridian (depending on your interior space requirements) and Tuscon (although I am not a big fan of Hyundai).
cool_dube is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 20:50   #20
BHPian

As someone who drove a Honda Civic, Accord and a Subaru WRX during my time in the US, I will strongly recommend that you consider Indian brands. During my time in India (2008 onwards), I have owned a Hyundai i10, a Skoda Laura (same as the international Octavia), a Mahindra XUV500 and currently a Tata Hexa and a Honda Jazz. The memorable ones (for good reasons) are the XUV500 and the Tata Hexa. I personally have faced no issues with reliability on either car (except for a rusting problem caused by the water I used for washing). The Skoda ownership experience sucked - I had to escalate a stupid problem all the way to Skoda HQ in Czechia to get some stuff done; parts were expensive. The car was great to drive, but I would take Mahindra's engine tuning and Tata's ride quality any day over Skoda's.

I just got back from a cross-country drive on my Hexa (nearly 10,000 kms). Traveled on expressways, highways, village roads, ghats and no roads in the high mountains of the Ladakh, Karakoram and Zanskar ranges in dry and extremely wet weather. The Tata held up just fine. No special servicing before or after the trip other than the scheduled service.

Last edited by kovilkalai : 28th August 2022 at 20:55. Reason: Missed some details
kovilkalai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 21:39   #21
BHPian

Intersting topic Indeed. If I was in your position, I would've bought the Kushaq over Tiguan and save the 18lakhs for Petrol, Holidays and for dream long drives within India.

No doubt the Tiguan is a better car than Kushaq, but if it's worth that much? I don't think so. Well the Kushaq itself is a glorified Fabia and is extremely over priced. Cars these days are generally overpriced anyway.

Speaking of Tiguan Vs Kushaq, I personally think the locally made Kushaq will be a better product to live with in the long run. Mainly because after some years or even now itself, the parts availability of the Tiguan will become tough and unreasonably expensive. Not to mention the parts waiting period. Whereas in the Kushaq, the parts availability will be much better than a Tiguan.
Quality will be a different story but no matter how we justify, it's not worth.

If you have 41 Lakhs to spend on a car, better look for Superb/Octavia/Kodiaq than in a Tiguan.
Or just buy a Kushaq and after 2-3 years buy another Tiguan with the 18 lakhs you save while buying the Kushaq over Tiguan.
igemini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 23:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

The Tiguan is a heavily facelifted version of a model which has been around since 2016 IIRC. The cabin design clearly shows it's vintage although quality is top class. I would assume the next generation grounds up new model could be launched globally in the not too distant future which should reflect contemporary interior design.

For similar VAG traits, the Kodiaq seems a more modern, plusher alternative. Once you have peeked at the Tiguan (segment) it is difficult to accept compromises of a segment below

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 28th August 2022 at 23:25.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 23:50   #23
BHPian

I have owned a VW Tiguan for the last 5 years. In fact, my Tiguan is one of the first 500 that were imported as CBU before assembly line was setup. I can vouch that there is nothing wrong with the suspension. Yes, it’s stiffer than Koreans and Japs, but I don’t find it bone jarring even on bumpy Indian roads. Also, for highway drives, it’s the best setup. You have an option to choose between suspension setups for bumpier roads if you like. Tyre pressure can be adjusted (manually) to suit your personal preferences.
We petrol heads sometimes over-analyse such things, so I asked my teenage daughters (strictest critic) who regularly find themselves in rear seats of cars ranging from Mercedes GLE, Mini Cooper, Kodiaq, Vento / Polo and Hyundai. And not once have I heard complains about Tiguan. So I won’t count this as a deal-breaker.
18 L is a big amount, and it’s value is subjective - but Individual buyer preferences aside, Tiguan is worth the premium.
I also strongly feel that the cars in 20L segment are offering great value for money and the segment of 40L+ is an entry into luxury segment. So part of the 18L is getting you into that less populated club!!!
vidyabhushan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 02:45   #24
BHPian

Me and my family were in love with the previous Tiguan on sale in India. So much so that wifey would exhale in excitement every time we saw one on road.
Also somehow, that one felt more solid built than the current one. Build like a tank.

I still remember experiencing one during servicing of my GT TSI. I had decided it as my next vehicle after spending just 5 mins with the car. But then VW someday decided to discontinue the diesel powertrain. Also the new one doesn't feel that solidly built, even if I were to consider a TSI again.

And the pricing is insane now, the Tiguan allspace feels like a missed opportunity to me as a customer. So currently at this price Tiguan doesn't feel value.

On the other hand the Kushaq is seriously flimsy and cheaply built vehicle even for that price.

So now what to buy then??

Check out the new Tucson, if looks are acceptable.

Last edited by Indepth : 29th August 2022 at 02:48. Reason: Spelling
Indepth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 08:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
And the pricing is insane now, the Tiguan allspace feels like a missed opportunity to me as a customer. So currently at this price Tiguan doesn't feel value.
Oh boy was the allspace a missed opportunity. Especially at the discounts that they were going for just before the pandemic. If one could only reverse time.
Old 1st September 2022, 12:39   #26
BHPian

The Tiguan may cost 70% more than a Kushaq but it is not a 70% better car in any terms. A bulk of that 70% premium is due to additional govt taxes on CBUs. The Tiguan is at tops a 25-30L car when you remove the govt taxes and import logistics out of its price.

So technically, the white elephant in the room is whether you want to pay the govt additional money to drive a Tiguan. Sure, the Tiguan is a better car but its not 18L better.

Last edited by yd_gli : 1st September 2022 at 12:40.
Old 1st September 2022, 13:02   #27
BHPian

I don't think it's a fair comparison as Engine in Tiguan is bigger, better as well as expensive. However as a overall package and bang for the buck, I would prefer to buy Kushaq any day.
Also I expect Kushaq to have better resale value if one decide to keep the car for 6-8 years time frame as there are more numbers and better acceptability in market.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 12:09   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nks81 View Post
Hi,

I am in the market for a new car and so far I have test driven the compass, octavia, tiguan and sat in my cousin's Kushaq.

We are a family of 4 and here are our preferences in descending order

1. Driving Dynamics and Performance
2. Safety and Comfort for 2 adults at the front and 2 growing kids at the back
3. Good suspension setup for Indian roads
4. Good interiors
5. Good music system

We have moved back to India 2 yrs back and want to now do long drives around India. Current car is a Honda Jazz iVtec - 2017

I have loved the Tiguan and the Octavia and they seem to be the frontrunner.
For now I am just comparing Tiguan to the Kushaq and cannot stop thinking

1. The Tiguan will cost approx 41 OTR and top end 1.5 Kushaq 23 L
2. I know Tiguan is in a different segment and is CKD which pushes its price to 40+
3. is the difference of 18 L really worth it? What will I miss if I go for top end Kushaq with respect to my points above.

The points of comparison will be size, engine, driveability, safety etc. I dont care a lot for tech features.

I know some of you will tell this is a weird comparison, but 18 L is big amount !

Appreciate your responses.
What did you do ? Tiguan or Kushaq or anything else? And why?
Old 6th January 2023, 13:28   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
What did you do ? Tiguan or Kushaq or anything else? And why?
bought the kodiaq

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5456310 (2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG)
nks81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 13:59   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree fully that the Tiguan and the Kushaq are not really on the same planet. However, I do empathise with your dilemma - in early 2021, I started off looking at the Seltos or Creta (but the wait lists were too long and there was that just about 3 star safety rating), Hector (terrible to drive), Innova Crysta (even worse to drive), Kia Carnival (fantastic - but too long to be taken to places where my wife wanted to go) and finally was sold on the Tiguan Allspace the moment I test drove it. Am sure the Kushaq will be good - certainly better than a Vento or Seltos - but the Tiguan is in a different league. Is it worth a 80% premium - certainly not. The fact is that the premiums for CKD cars in India exist because of our nutty tax structures. But at some point, you have to go with what you want - and if you live in India and want world class cars, you have to pay insane prices.
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks