View Poll Results: What should I get?
New VW Taigun GT Plus 76 60.32%
Used VW T-Roc 45 35.71%
Other (please specify in your post) 5 3.97%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2022, 23:45   #1
BHPian

New VW Taigun GT Plus or Pre-owned VW T-Roc?

Hi Fellow bhpians,

I'm on the lookout to buy a new SUV mainly because of the current road conditions while traveling as many areas have roads under construction resulting in patchy roads filled with potholes for a short stretch.

I currently own a Honda Amaze, I used to own a Honda City, however, sold it as the ground clearance was low resulting in me scraping the front bumper whenever I used to take it to my home.

I like the Honda Amaze, however, it's not as fun to drive as my brother's Polo GT, which I just adore. So, I'm mainly looking for something that's fun to drive, has enough boot space, and has a sunroof.

We are a family of 3 and my kid is only 9 months old.

I did look at VW Virtus, however, didn't like it and Jeep Compass Diesel AT is out of my budget.

So, it has come down to a new Taigun GT Plus, which costs around 22.5L on-road or a pre-owned T-roc 2021, which costs 24L. Even though the ride quality is a tad bit stiffer on the T-roc, I loved the way it looks and drives and as there's no news of a new batch coming in anytime soon, it has come down to either the Taigun GT Plus or a pre-owned T-roc. What would you guys recommend?
shilpa3326 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 07:27   #2

Re: New VW Taigun GT Plus or Pre-owned VW T-Roc?

Hello shilpa3326!

I am also looking for an SUV and have sort of decided on the Taigun GT Plus. While sadly I can't help you decide between the t-roc and taigun, I was wondering if you had considered Astor and Seltos. Could you list the reasons you chose the Taigun over them?
newuser24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 10:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP

24 lakhs for a 2021 T-Roc seems expensive and a someone selling a year old unit raises some red flags but I may be wrong on that.

Do note that the T-Roc is a CBU so any maintenance/repairs is going to cost more than the Taigun 1.5 which has its 1.5 TSI - DSG powertrain as the only major component which isn't localised.
On the flip side the T-Roc will definitely feel more premium than the Taigun.

Since you haven't mentioned any specific requirement for more power I would suggest to pitch the Taigun 1.0 Topline against the T-Roc to get a more balanced approach with both cars pitching their USPs of performance, cost, maintenance costs over its expected time with you.

Although I can't suggest a black and white decision, here are some points to consider :
- Get maximum warranty and adhere to the service schedule in kms or time.
- Any DSG unit whether the Taigun GT 1.5 or the T-Roc is recommended to set aside a "DSG fund" of 3 lakhs(safe side) for any repairs arising out of the warranty period if you intend to keep your car for that long.
- Taigun 1.0 AT is the more economical option in purchase, maintenance and repairs so that's a big USP in its favour apart from the brilliant 1.0 TSI.
- If getting the T-Roc check with VW if the car has undergone its scheduled service and is under warranty.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by shancz : 31st October 2022 at 10:30. Reason: grammar
shancz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 10:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilpa3326 View Post
So, it has come down to a new Taigun GT Plus, which costs around 22.5L on-road or a pre-owned T-roc 2021, which costs 24L. Even though the ride quality is a tad bit stiffer on the T-roc, I loved the way it looks and drives and as there's no news of a new batch coming in anytime soon, it has come down to either the Taigun GT Plus or a pre-owned T-roc. What would you guys recommend?
Understandable that T-Roc is more appealing, however it would be much easier to live with Taigun due to much better local service support. Taigun GT has a very good drivetrain so you won't be missing out much. Don't underestimate the hassle of owning a CBU car sold in such few numbers. In fact, you might want to check out used Tucson, X1, GLA, V40 etc if you are in the mood for "yeh dil mange more"
androdev is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 10:59   #5
BANNED

A new VW T-Roc used to cost around 27 lakh on-road in Kerala, whereas a one-year used T-Roc costs you around 24 lakhs, it doesn't seem like a good deal to me considering that it is a discontinued model and there are no signs of VW that they are reintroducing it again, Moreover as pointed out by@shancz, being a CBU, maintenance, and repairs for the T-Roc are going to be expensive.

However, the T-Roc is a much better built and luxurious car than the Taigun based on the MQB A1 Platform and it does show in the quality of interiors and build quality. The Taigun is a locally manufactured product based on the MQB AO IN platform designed for India.

So it basically boils down to whether you prefer a brand new car (Taigun) or a used premium car (T-Roc).
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 11:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

T-Roc came with panoramic sunroof. Other than this, I don't see a strong case for T-Roc over a new Tiguan (Of course you get CBU build quality, some driver assistance features like 'lane assistance' 'front collision warning'.... etc but those advantages are negated by the fact that it is a pre-owned car and the repair parts would always take much longer to arrive).
But if you personally like the T-Roc (I do), it is a different matter. It would be the case of 'heart 'over 'head'.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 00:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser24 View Post
Hello shilpa3326!

I am also looking for an SUV and have sort of decided on the Taigun GT Plus. While sadly I can't help you decide between the t-roc and taigun, I was wondering if you had considered Astor and Seltos. Could you list the reasons you chose the Taigun over them?
Yes, I had considered Astor and Seltos. Taigun GT plus felt more fun to drive.

When it comes to Astor, I felt that Taigun offers better leg space.

The reason I'd choose Taigun over Seltos is because of safety concerns as it scored only 3 stars in GNCAP compared to 5 stars for Taigun and the rear felt claustrophobic in Seltos. Also, I found the suspension to be a bit firm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
24 lakhs for a 2021 T-Roc seems expensive and a someone selling a year old unit raises some red flags but I may be wrong on that.

Do note that the T-Roc is a CBU so any maintenance/repairs is going to cost more than the Taigun 1.5 which has its 1.5 TSI - DSG powertrain as the only major component which isn't localised.
On the flip side the T-Roc will definitely feel more premium than the Taigun.
Thanks for bringing it up. Yes, it does kind of raises a red flag.

I did a test drive of the 1.0 and 1.5 variants and found 1.5 better suited for my needs as I love that sudden burst of power while driving alone and it's a boon while trying to overtake.

I read that the latest DQ200 transmission has better reliability compared to the older ones. Can't confirm if it's true or not, as I read about it on some forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Understandable that T-Roc is more appealing, however it would be much easier to live with Taigun due to much better local service support. Taigun GT has a very good drivetrain so you won't be missing out much. Don't underestimate the hassle of owning a CBU car sold in such few numbers. In fact, you might want to check out used Tucson, X1, GLA, V40 etc if you are in the mood for "yeh dil mange more"
Yeah, I totally about the hassles of owning a CBU.

Hehe. To be frank I'm in the mood for "yeh dil maange more", however, wasn't able to find a decent x1 under 25L in my state. Not a fan of GLA and v40, so haven't considered that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yedukrishnan199 View Post
So it basically boils down to whether you prefer a brand new car (Taigun) or a used premium car (T-Roc).
I totally agree that the T-roc offers a much better build, however, the rear seat felt a bit cramped.

I have never bought a pre-owned car earlier, so I'm a bit skeptical about whether to go the pre-owned route as no experience would come close to owning a new car. I prefer the way T-roc looks, which is the only reason why I'm having a hard time finalising between the Taigun GT plus and T-roc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
T-Roc came with panoramic sunroof. Other than this, I don't see a strong case for T-Roc over a new Tiguan
It's more of like a heart-over-head scenario. My heart says T-roc and my head says to wait a bit longer to see if VW would bring a new batch of T-roc or GTI next year. I know that the chances of that happening are slim.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 1st November 2022 at 10:22. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts
shilpa3326 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 07:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilpa3326 View Post
- I love that sudden burst of power while driving alone and it's a boon while trying to overtake.

- I read that the latest DQ200 transmission has better reliability compared to the older ones.
- Then the 1.5 DSG will be telepathic

- They can say whatever they want but as mentioned here (The Reliability Dilemma | Want to buy VW Virtus GT, but worried about DSG) its due to the design.
Any improvement to the DSG/DCT is actually Tata's DCA with a wet clutch to manage the heat better and some other improvements.

IMO the Taigun GT 1.5 makes the better buying decision in your case and with the 5 stars GNCAP now it has a mighty edge over the other players in the segment if the performance wasn't already.

Some points to remember (DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox) when using DSGs but shifting to neutral when stationary is the easiest to inculcate.

Don't forget the "DSG Fund" though

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd November 2022 at 19:29. Reason: As requested
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 09:45   #9
anb
BHPian

The T-Roc is like a cheaper Audi while Taigun is a like more expensive Polo. If expensive spares and delays in service is not an issue, I'd opt for the T-Roc.
anb is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 11:25   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Poll added to spice things up . Voted for the Used T-Roc! It's a superior car and 1-year old means it's pretty much brand new. Go for the extended warranty and you'll have piece-of-the-mind for a few years. Post that, any good independent garage can take care of your CBU.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 12:19   #11
BHPian

Having driven both the cars recently, let me share the pros and cons:

Taigun:
Pros
1. Great to drive
2. Can seat 5, feels more spacious than inside
Cons
1. Interiors are not premium enough for a 22 lakh car
2. Although subjective, doesn’t look as good as the T-Roc

T-Roc:
Pros
1. Great to drive
2. Premium cabin
3. Looks better than Taigun
Cons
1. Strictly four seater
2. Feels cramped at the rear

Personally, I would pick the T-Roc over Taigun any day.
TDIRaghav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 12:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Between a discontinued (in India) pre-owned VW and an in-production VW I would choose the latter. In this particular case it is easier to choose the taigun because it gets the same powertrain as the t-roc and is cheaper.

What is the USP of the t-roc if VW were to bring in another batch? None. Taigun GT took that spot. Its not a VW GTI or a Skoda RS.

Edit: I should rephrase the underlined as - What is the USP for VW to bring in another batch of t-rocs when they sell taigun here?

Last edited by Sankar : 1st November 2022 at 12:59.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 13:28   #13
BHPian

Hi,
I can relate to your query since we travelled through the same area in our Tiguan Allspace which has a similar suspension characteristic to T- Roc. My choice would be Taigun since the road construction will take minimum 2-3 years to get completed. Taigun has a better suspension for irregular roads, it's cheaper, and you get a 5-star rated car with the colour of your choice. Hope this helps.
Regards
Dr ST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 13:31   #14
BHPian

I will be biased to say go with T-Roc. TDIRaghav has summed it up really well here. I was in my hometown and my brother showed me listing for a 2 year old T-Roc going for 22 lacs+ and it surprised me as well. However since I own a T-Roc I can see why it might be commanding such prices in pre-worshipped market:
1. Excellent build quality
2. Huge potential to modify
3. Looks, although are subjective. Everyone who has spoken to me about this car has always complimented its looks

I had an AC gas leakage issue right at the start of the ownership. There was a pin sized hole in the AC unit which made it lose cooling within a month. Downtown VW took 2 days to detect and solve the issue. I have not faced any problem wrt parts availability but yes it is one of the things that I am not 100% sure about as to how things will pan out in case such a situation arises.

To conclude, I will buy T-Roc again if I had to make this decision today.
royalbeat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 15:02   #15

T-Roc! Simply because driving performance is an important factor for you, as I gather. Having owned a T-Roc for close to 2 years now, I can safely say I have not spent much at all on maintenance and parts. Yes, the parts are a tad expensive, but then premium does come at a cost and I have wrapped my head around this.
The interior plastic does disappoint but you get used to it and can live with it purely because the T-Roc makes up in driving dynamics and behavior. Once out on the open road, there is really no car which is so tightly set-up south of 25 Lakhs which can offer you a good driving experience.
The Taigun on the other hand is a good product as well but not really an enthusiasts preference IMHO. The way the chassis is set up and its driving dynamics are more on the softer side and although the engine will make sure you have fun given how free-revving it is, the dynamics will slightly disappoint.
The T-Roc also comes with a massive Panoramic sunroof and ADAS tech, which is likely to be more commonly found in the cars of the future, which will not give you the feeling of missing out on features. All in all, go for the T-Roc!!
aditya969 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks