Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car should I upgrade to?
Hyundai Tucson Signature Diesel 4WD 45 26.63%
Toyota Innova Hycross ZX(O) 85 50.30%
Jeep Meridian Diesel Limited (O) 20 11.83%
Other Cars/None of the above 3 19 11.24%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2023, 18:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for an upgrade from Tata Hexa XTA | Tucson, Innova Hycross, Meridian, Others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
Thanks for your suggestions GTO. I am completely aware of these theories and I am a financially prudent person. Long term, short term, emergency categories of my personal finance are well covered. So I won't call it as a heart over head decision to change my car.

Also I'm not trying to change my segments drastically - it is just vehicles with similar capabilities with some added safety tech. So adding 20-30 lakhs more and investing all that may not make any sense for me.
I'm ready only to adjust and pay for the inflation which is what I'm doing currently. Why else will I look to buy an Innova now? That probably is more prudent financially than buying those luxury Germans - right?

In any case, heart too needs some satisfaction at times.

I think you are looking to change your ride merely on account of boredom. The cars you highlighted will not be an upgrade over the Hexa. Any real upgrade requires you to get into the X5/Discovery Sport and above segment.

The Hycross is more like what the 2023 Hexa would be if it were still made.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 11:34   #32
BHPian

Re: Looking for an upgrade from Tata Hexa XTA | Tucson, Innova Hycross, Meridian, Others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
@vinodvayyat We are in the same boat except for 2 things - My budget (35L) is less than yours and I was an ex-Harrier owner (You are a Hexa owner). Happy to have a company.

Here is my thread link for your reference https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...-car-next.html
Hehe. Yes, the market doesn't have many options in that range. All the best for your exploration. I had read your thread. Hexa didn't pose any issues for me yet (hopefully I won't in future as it trends towards retaining the same). W.r.to the requirement part, you got it spot on. I don't feel any need to carry around a 2.2 Ton car just because it needs to be a do it all soft-roader SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG532 View Post
Hi,

I can understand your situation because this 30-45 lacs bracket has very few cars and almost all of them have few traits which makes it difficult to either choose or not choose one of them.
I was in the same situation 5 month back when i had to choose among
The only downside as per me was that it didn’t have the road presence feel of a suv and the hyundai badge for a 40 lacs car just seems odd , but thats just my personal opinion and not a dealbreaker, if you can get past them , then i think this is perfect allrounder car in this segment.

Thanks
Yes, same thoughts I had been having as well. Lack of Paddle shifter and rear sun blind in Tucson is definitely a big miss. As of now, it trends towards retaining Hexa for sometime more. Wishing the best to you in finding a suitable one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I think you are looking to change your ride merely on account of boredom. The cars you highlighted will not be an upgrade over the Hexa. Any real upgrade requires you to get into the X5/Discovery Sport and above segment.

The Hycross is more like what the 2023 Hexa would be if it were still made.
No it is not merely on account of boredom. Please go through my posts again. I'm just trying to stay in the same segment with upgrades to safety tech and also by adapting to my new lifestyle needs. But sadly, even if I adjust inflation, the same segment isn't accessible. Also, as I already have mentioned multiple times, 7-seater is no more a strict requirement for my family. My better half started driving confidently and independently. She uses her hatchback to do her office rides and is a confident driver (She wasn't one such when I bought Hexa). I need a car that can cater to her driving needs as well. Hexa doesn't satisfy this. It is too big a car for a short lady as she is. Also, we don't think we will ever upgrade into the luxury segment - we don't have such a need. So, if I wait for a full blown upgrade, I may keep waiting for ever. But I don't think I'm going to buy another car for 1-2 years for the simple reason that I don't find any good car that can completely satisfies me. Tucson comes to the closest. Wife says to go for it, but I don't want to. Even though Hycross was under consideration, I won't buy that vehicle. I might mostly cancel the booking after February.

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 15th January 2023 at 11:35.
vinodvayyat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 21:47   #33

Hi

If Hexa is in good condition do not change it. Drive it as long as it does not give any major breakdown.

All the cars listed by you are overpriced for the value they give.

Hycross will not be a mile muncher, Hyundai Tuscon is too overpriced. Fortuner base model will be better.

Meridian as per the videos online is not at all a good Seven Seater.

If you can compromise with Boot, TATA Safari can be considered. Among the available lot, SAFARI runs better and has good road presence. Better package compared to all.

I sold my Innova (2013) model last year. Tested nearly all the avilabe SUVs and MPVs. Did not like any. Now settled with Harrier, as I was looking for a SUV, for Highway driving.

I always say, you know the best for you, decide what you like.
Ram35 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 12:05   #34
BHPian

Hexa, Fortuner, Innova (Crysta), Safari, etc... are all ladder on frame construction which tends to have more body roll. Hycross (though Innova) is a monocoque construction which reduces body roll and gives more comfort. So if you don't do much off roading, the monocoque body would be ideal. My humble suggestion would be not to remove the Hycross until you do a TD.
Jo-G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 12:32   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The Hexa is a superb vehicle. The Desi Indian Mercedes Benz R Class equivalent.
The Hycross Toyota while it is a monocoque and therefore likely more comfortable, will simply not give you the mileage and economy of your Hexa.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 13:00   #36

45 L Budget| Single SUV or Two purposeful Cars| What to Choose?

Hello BHPians,
I am new entrant to the forum, a big hi/hello to everyone. Big thanks to the moderators/admins for accepting my membership. I am native from Andhra Pradesh staying in Bangalore since 4 odd years.I landed on team-bhp forum in 2009/10 via some google searches, while we are evaluating our new car purchase in between MS Swift, Ford Figo & Fiat Punto. We bought Ford Figo after reading many threads on this forum, both Dad and myself had a happy 1.2L+ kms before letting it go to a distant family member. The 1.4L Duratorq engine is a gem of an engine and that engine noise still rings in my ears.

My next car purchase which happened to be in 2016 end Skoda Rapid Diesel MT was a simple straight forward decision as I was always fascinated since childhood seeing the Skoda badge on Octavia. I gifted myself a cherry red colour Rapid on my marriage day itself (So both loves entered to life on same day). This car had not only seen all the ups and downs of roads but also seen every up and down of my life. It is so close to my heart as we enjoyed every moment of it. The current ODO stands at 1.25L kms.

Now with things settled with life and age at 35, I am planning to upgrade with a budget of 40-45 OTR Bangalore. My factory is located 200 kms from Bangalore and I pay 3/4 visits a month. This 200 kms stretch comprises of 30 kms of city drive (I have an option of taking some internal route with almost very less traffic but single lane roads) ,120 kms pure bliss to drive good national highway (Bangalore-Mangalore), and the final leg of 50 kms broken state highways which nearly have 40 odd speed breakers (entrance and exit of every village in that route).

Before going to the options considered I am a very sedate driver, never give any hard throttles. Even on the good highways I always prefer 90-100 kms mark, more than safety aspect I like and enjoy that driving style. My Rapid gives me a milage of 22-24 (have seen even 25,26 numbers on numerous occasions in the MID) on every single occasion on the highway rides and drops to 20-21 levels in those bad state highways. Touchwood till date I have never made any insurance claims and apart from regular service paid only 1 visit during ABS sensor fault. With those numbers you can access my driving style.

OPTION 1
So, I was evaluating between the following options in no preference order
Hyundai Tuscon 4WD Diesel AT
Extremely pleasant to drive, the power and torque of 2 L diesel was more than adequate in every manner. AT was butter smooth in the test drives. Cabin space is more than luxurious in comparison. Loaded features along with good interiors (cabin maintenance will be pain point for sure).
Coming to the cons – 4 WD comes with ADAS features which I am not sure of using on present Indian conditions (no option for non-ADAS 4WD). Structural safety was not satisfactory as coming from Skoda stable, I did not feel that weights or thuds. And finally, to some extent Hyundai Badge (spending 40+ on Hyundai? confused).

Jeep Meridian 4WD Diesel AT
Extremely good exterior styling (personal perception), Plush interiors. The drive, handling and suspension are quite good compared to Tucson. Car looks and feels like a mini tank. Space is more than adequate for me and family. Good seating comfort even on 2nd row. Though the 3rd row space is low but, in my case (2 adults + 5 yr kid and occasional parents or in-law’s visits) I do not think I have any usage of it except for using it as boot. JEEP is good Badge to own (again my perception)
The Autogear box is not at all satisfactory. It is atleast 2-3 secs late in action. Below 40 speeds I was not happy with the gearbox. Above that it does quiet decent job and I am satisfactory in that range. Apart from gearbox sluggishness the niggles/rattles/expensive maintenance/reliability all these read from this forum are a point of concern.

SKODA KODIAQ/VW TIGUAN
The pull of Skoda/VW badge is more for me, I enjoyed drives of both these vehicles. Quite disappointed for not having diesel option had that been the case I would have straight away bought a diesel Skoda/VW.
Prior to this scouting I went to book Octavia in Feb/March but lack of Sunroof pulled me back (that is the only ask of my little 5 yr son) by the time I took some time to sort finances to go for superb it was pulled back from markets. I was basically a sedan loving guy so never paid visits to TD SUVs. But left with no options of sedans I started test driving the SUV and then I realised the comfort, convenience, and practicality these machines offer so have taken SUV route since then.

The biggest letdown of Kodiaq/Tiguan is the interior looks too much outdated (Tiguan looks even much outdated), I could not convince myself to that point. Coming from Rapid dashboard layouts I don’t feel much upgrade here after spending 40-50 L. As 7-seater is not my requirement if I had to convince myself and accept to the reality of these interiors I better opt for Tiguan as its saves near 8-9 lakhs OTR. Jeep interiors had spoiled me here.

Other cars I have taken TD are XUV 700 – straight away did not like the drive, gear shifts and too many 700’s on road also never gave me feel good factor (again personal opinion). Also 1 year long waiting lists.
IONIQ 5 – Tried this after reading in some post of distinguished member GTO, but as I do not have any 2nd car, I dropped the thought of EV for now. But car is fantastic in every aspect.
Visited Toyota for Hycross but the booking is possible only for VX variant which has only 2 airbags so just walked out of showroom without any TD.

So summing up all these I was not convinced by badge of Hyundai, Gearbox of Meridian and interior feel factor of Tiguan I could not conclude anything as of now and put forward to suggestion from fellow members whose wise thoughts might bring a clarity in my mind.

OPTION 2
In this confused state of mind here comes the strong thought

Off late I am feeling very much tired during my factory visits probable reasons might be rapid have become old, not have AT gearbox, Sedan seating, bad roads, new car bug, phone calls during drives whatsoever I feel tired reaching home.
To resolve all these here comes the thought
- Buy a used 1-3 years old AT Crysta (for 25 L budget) depute a chauffeur for the tired long factory visits and buy a good car to satisfy my driving pleasures in the brackets of 20L (Kushaq, Slavia, THAR (the thought itself is giving goosebumps), XUV 300 Turbo, etc). This 2nd car will do the city duties of mainly family outings, malls, restaurants, school visits, etc.
Though chauffer is not a financial burden as he is already employed in our factory and his duties to pick and drop me are limited only to 2 days per week rest of the time he serves in our factory, the burden will be maintenance of 2 vehicles and rent of 1 extra parking in the apartment (to the tune of 15K per year).I thought Crysta will do the job for 15000 kms per annum and the other car will be doing 5000 kms per annum (am also open for used car for this also as running is low). In this case I will be surely missing the upgrade to 2 L engines.

Which is wise and satisfying the driver inside OPTION 1 or OPTION 2?
If I must stick to OPTION 1 what is the point where I must compromise between those 3 options. Since every car has its good merits, I feel that I need to convince myself on the demerits and pick the right car. Is the Option 2 though process is wise enough? In this case I will have the convenience of chauffeur for factory visits join in some adventure groups with 4*4 THAR and enjoy drive life.

So, I put forward my case on a detailed manner and seek your suggestions and thoughts to come to a better conclusion. I cannot hold the new car bug for more than 3 months from here on. Please excuse for the long post which clubbed my introduction and background also.

Thanks & Regards
Avir1988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 18:33   #37
BANNED

Re: 45 L Budget| Single SUV or Two purposeful Cars| What to Choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avir1988 View Post
Hello BHPians,
I am new entrant to the forum, a big hi/hello to everyone.

Now with things settled with life and age at 35, I am planning to upgrade with a budget of 40-45 OTR Bangalore.
Hello, Welcome to the Forum.
I was in an exactly similar situation two months back, where I was reluctant to spend 40L on Hyundai, and everyone gave their suggestion to not spend so much on Hyundai, etc. I evaluated all the vehicles that you mentioned, and I went ahead with Hyundai Tucson and I think I made the right decision. It's a beautiful car, with best-in-segment features, reliability, space, quality of material, and safety. On Highway, if you use cruise control at 90km/hr in ECO mode, then you can get an average of 19-20KM/L. In the bumper-Bumper city traffic, expect around 11-12KM/L. Tucson is a global best seller for Hyundai, being a CKD model in India expect top-notch customer service from Hyundai too. Remember no car is perfect, and in this segment and within this budget Tucson is the best one.

Here's a thread on the team-bhp forum talking about the ownership experiences of people who bought Tucson. I am sure you will find some amazing stories: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...review-70.html (2022 Hyundai Tucson Review)

Here's the thread on Tucson Safety, and if you read you will see it's a completely safe car. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...0-stars-5.html (Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars)

Regarding ADAS, Initially, I was also reluctant to go for the ADAS variant, but I think I made the right choice by opting for ADAS. It will certainly be helpful for a sedate driver like you and me, especially in the city conditions.

Last edited by aseem23 : 20th July 2023 at 18:39.
aseem23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 13:59   #38

Re: 45 L Budget| Single SUV or Two purposeful Cars| What to Choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem23 View Post
Hello, Welcome to the Forum.
I was in an exactly similar situation two months back, where I was reluctant to spend 40L on Hyundai, and everyone gave their suggestion to not spend so much on Hyundai, etc. I evaluated all the vehicles that you mentioned, and I went ahead with Hyundai Tucson.

Regarding ADAS, Initially, I was also reluctant to go for the ADAS variant, but I think I made the right choice by opting for ADAS. It will certainly be helpful for a sedate driver like you and me, especially in the city conditions.
Congratulations on your purchase. Definitely the car has no cons/flaws expect that perception of price/badge tag associated with hyundai.

Regarding ADAS maybe you are correct, I am little slow adopter of new technologies but as I usually keep cars for 6-7 years time frame so down the line these features might come handy in day to day usage.

Any Bangalore/KA people enlight me on the deals you are getting on TUSCON 4WD AT. It would be helpful during my negotiation process.
Old 23rd July 2023, 19:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Hycross. Toyota owner here and considering your TATA service experience, Toyota should pamper you with their service quality. Looks like you need a good 5 seater.

I do have some concerns on Hycross though, ZX only has the rear captain seats and is not a 5 seater. Also Toyota has done some cost cutting even on the top end zx(o) and my decade old(almost) corolla seems more solid in build quality. You will miss the diesel torque but I doubt hycross will disappoint you either.

Considering the price of hycross, I am also tempted to suggest XUV700 - if you can live with its quirky looks ( I am still convincing myself). it is a very good 5 seater as the last row is pretty much useless.

I have nothing against Tucson, however not a fan of Hyundai designs off late. Their cars do not age that well as they are known to drastically change the looks over generations instead of following any evolutionary process. Also I heard Hyundais tend to become more expensive to maintain after 5-6 years. Apart from this, Tucson is a very solid package.

I need to replace my aging corolla in a year or two and considering the long waiting periods, wondering if I need to book well in advance
Old 14th August 2023, 15:38   #40

We have been in the market for a new car in the last few weeks. We tested the Tucson and the Innova Hycross. Given a choice between the Innova Hycross ZX and Tucson, I would choose the Hycross ZX. The new Innova in its Monocoque garb is very comfortable. We found the seats on the Hycross to be superior to that of the Tucson. I found lumbar support on the Tucson to be lacking.

We tested the Kodiaq an hour after the Tucson and unanimously loved the cabin experience over the Tucson. Alas, Toyota has paused bookings for the Hycross ZX. We passed over the Hycross as we were unwilling to wait 12-18 months for the VX & VX (O) trims as quoted by Lakozy Toyota in Mumbai.
Old 28th September 2023, 02:05   #41
BHPian

Hyundai Verna Upgrade: Best 30 Lakh Car?

Hello people of the forum!

We are looking for an upgrade from our 9 year old Fluidic Verna. We have been in hunt for a new car in the market since 2021 but now the itch to upgrade is uncontrollable!

Some Background:
  • Currently own a 2014 Verna 1.4 L VTVT CX that has only done around 40k kms and this is the car that is going to be replaced.
  • Have a beater car as well so the other car will mainly be used for highways/trips.
  • We are a family of 4 but the maximum occupancy of the vehicle will be 2 for 80% of the time.
  • Will mostly be used by my parents ( both are doctors ) & will be chauffeur driven for only 10% of the time

Requirements:
  • Our budget is 30 lakhs, but we can stretch it to a maximum of 35 lakhs.
  • Strictly Petrol ( due to our lower mileage )
  • Comfort is of utmost importance, especially because of my mother's back pain issues.
  • Safety is a priority
  • Mainly looking for a SUV but open for Sedans as well ( if there's any! )
  • Reliability and ease of ownership are essential factors, as we intend to keep the car for at least 8-10 years.

Major Setbacks in Decision Making:
  • Discontinuation of Superb: Was our 1st choice as mom liked it a lot but was unfortunately discontinued after BS 6.2 regulations as we know. We were very close to booking one in December 2022, but other financial responsibilities led to a delay in the purchase to the next FY.

• Underwhelming Petrol Engine of Tucson: Another top contender of ours that we checked out in July but the 2.0L NA Petrol Engine was really underwhelming for our liking and the price point it is offered at!

Some cars that were Rejected:
  • Tata Harrier/Safari: Only Diesel Engines on offer! Even the facelift versions are probably going to get Petrol engines by next year at the earliest going by Mr. Shailesh Chandra's words here

• Jeep Compass: Again, no petrol engines on offer anymore. Mom wasn't comfortable during the TD and the closest Service Centre is around 100 kms.

• MG Hector: Neither of my parents liked the design of the vehicle ( no offence to the present owners as choices are subjective )

• Mahindra XUV700: On paper the most suitable car for our needs but the distinct visibility of some dirty bits due to white upholstery & the infotainment screen going absolutely blank during TD was a let down. The ride was comfortable for our liking but still rejected by my parents.

• Toyota Innova Hycross: Too big/MUVish for us!

Did not consider Creta & Seltos due to structural safety concerns & also the car being "too common" as per my parents.

Test Drove Taigun and absolutely loved the driving dynamics. Even the back seat comfort was decent but still can't wrap my head around it's 4.2 metre size!

This whole process has put us in a dilemma regarding the purchase decision. Tucson is still not rejected but my father isn't comfortable enough for shelling out 33-35 lakhs for that 2.0L NA Engine. ( Also the white upholstery is a thing of concern here as well )

Hoping to get some good advice/suggestions that might help us in our decision making process!
Old 1st October 2023, 13:00   #42
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna Upgrade: Best 30 Lakh Car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSR21 View Post
Requirements:
  • Our budget is 30 lakhs, but we can stretch it to a maximum of 35 lakhs.
  • Strictly Petrol ( due to our lower mileage )
  • Comfort is of utmost importance, especially because of my mother's back pain issues.
  • Safety is a priority
  • Mainly looking for a SUV but open for Sedans as well ( if there's any! )
  • Reliability and ease of ownership are essential factors, as we intend to keep the car for at least 8-10 years.

Major Setbacks in Decision Making:
  • Discontinuation of Superb: Was our 1st choice as mom liked it a lot but was unfortunately discontinued after BS 6.2 regulations as we know. We were very close to booking one in December 2022, but other financial responsibilities led to a delay in the purchase to the next FY.

• Underwhelming Petrol Engine of Tucson: Another top contender of ours that we checked out in July but the 2.0L NA Petrol Engine was really underwhelming for our liking and the price point it is offered at!

This whole process has put us in a dilemma regarding the purchase decision. Tucson is still not rejected but my father isn't comfortable enough for shelling out 33-35 lakhs for that 2.0L NA Engine. ( Also the white upholstery is a thing of concern here as well )
Unfortunately, the weight of your wallet is matched only with a limited options in the new car market.
For your requirements, why did you not consider an EV, which is a better choice than the petrol?

Some of the EV options are - BYD Atto 3, Hyundai Kona (please note the next-gen Kona launch is around the corner), Ioniq 5 (if you can increase your budget).
Tucson petrol also meets your requirement to the T (Being a Hyundai, reliability, space, comfort, safety, petrol, ease of ownership are taken care of). In fact, the 2.0NA will satisfy you more than enough for your requirement. On the other hand, did you consider the VW Tiguan? The new gen Tiguan (unveiled in September) is expected to arrive on our shores by mid/later 2024. So you can juice out as much as you can from the dealer with the current gen and of course you can minimise your regret of the lost opportunity of Superb with the Tiguan.

Alternatively, if you are open for pre-owned route, there will be plethora of options like the BMW, Merc, Audi, Volvo, Octavia, Camry, and even a Superb.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 1st October 2023 at 13:01.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 01:36   #43
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna Upgrade: Best 30 Lakh Car?

Thank you for the reply @Livletcarsliv!

Quote:
For your requirements, why did you not consider an EV, which is a better choice than the petrol?
We'll be trading in our WagonR for an EV hatchback couple years down the line so dad wants the bigger car to be an ICE car for as long as possible

Quote:
Tucson petrol also meets your requirement to the T (Being a Hyundai, reliability, space, comfort, safety, petrol, ease of ownership are taken care of). In fact, the 2.0NA will satisfy you more than enough for your requirement.
Definitely! Thus, we still have it as one of our top contenders.

Quote:
On the other hand, did you consider the VW Tiguan? The new gen Tiguan (unveiled in September) is expected to arrive on our shores by mid/later 2024. So you can juice out as much as you can from the dealer with the current gen and of course you can minimise your regret of the lost opportunity of Superb with the Tiguan.
Back in July, when we went for the TD of Taigun, we were quoted an OTR of 39 Lacs for Tiguan ( way out of our budget ). There wasn't any display car, let alone a TD car for it and we were told that it's only being made on order so no scope of discounts. Will have to check with the dealer again if there's been any changes to the above information.

Quote:
Alternatively, if you are open for pre-owned route, there will be plethora of options like the BMW, Merc, Audi, Volvo, Octavia, Camry, and even a Superb.
Unfortunately, we aren't considering going the pre-owned route as of now.
HSR21 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks