Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2008, 20:53   #16
BHPian

There have been in-numerous discussions on the forums that the EX is the most VFM version of the Safari. It comes with:
1. Body coloured bumpers and cladding
2. Stock ICE
3. Immobilizer
4. Tubeless Tyres (Now it comes with LX also)
5. Beige Interiors

You need to evaluate these things on your own and as per your budget. I am surprised that you even mentioned the VX as your first post indicates that you have a maximum budget of 8 lakhs and the VX will be a minimum of 11.5 lakhs on road If you have the money, then go in for the VX as you will get the ABS and Air bags with it and these cannot be installed later! Moreover, the Safari is a 2 tonner and in that case, ABS is a must. Moreover, the VX comes with OEM alloys which do look good on it. The OEM screens are a boon for kids and they will love you for it! Ultimately, it all comes down to your budget. You need to evalute your needs and requirements and no one will be able to do it for you.
Old 24th July 2008, 21:25   #17
BHPian

Safari all the way rohit - best SUV you could get in a budget. practical, diesel, enough space and most of it all .. you and your childs heart are all game for it.

Stretch a lill and go for it, you would love it no doubt
Old 24th July 2008, 22:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitgaur View Post

The budget is within 8 Lakhs Maximum
with my Bulky frame of 120 Kgs and 6 Ft Plus Higher segment certainly involves height
Combined Incity and Highway Driving to be 1500-2000 Kms a month

Seniors Advise, Also the SAFARI Owners reviews here have made me actually begin to go weak on the Decision, but then owning an SUV has been a childhood quest...........
8lacs max? LX then.

120 and 6plus? Safari! And if your family members too are build please take all of the for a Dzire test drive.
Old 25th July 2008, 10:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends
I have taken the decision to finally get a new set of wheels, heartwrenching as it may be to part with my Yellow Wasp (Palio 1.9D)(Chandigarh Punjab Members-Pls refer any genuine palio buyers you may know)

The budget is within 8 Lakhs Maximum
Issues with the Palio are minimal , just the change required after 3 years to go on to a higher segment. Also with my Bulky frame of 120 Kgs and 6 Ft Plus Higher segment certainly involves height and Verna, Getz, etc are NO Gos
Combined Incity and Highway Driving to be 1500-2000 Kms a month

The Options
TATA Safari 2.2 VTT : Excellent Road Presence, Looks, Size , Comfort, But then the so called maintenance cost for a Salaried guy, Is is advisable to go the New SUV way now……. The question of Cost of ownership

USED Hyundai Tucson
My Dream SUV, Compact , Beautiful, available @ 7-8 Lakhs, with 40K on the ODO, in the 2005-06 model. Again the question of Cost of ownership…..

New Swift Dzire
The Family is rooting for this car, With a Swift LDi Performimg beautifully in the family , same engine and Conservative Middle class Dream Car at 6.5 Lakhs OTR, DAD and Lil Bro are just rooting for it. But the Waiting period… Premium ….. and a Sedan is a Sedan

Also My 4 yr old Son has a Liking for the Dicor, and in some time in the future I would again try go for an SUV

My query is “why not do it in one go and go for an SUV plunge” but again the double mindedness continues and I am a bit jittery…..

Seniors Advise, Also the SAFARI Owners reviews here have made me actually begin to go weak on the Decision, but then owning an SUV has been a childhood quest...........

Hi what I want to say is dont worry about Safaris maitenance cost with new 2.2 Dicor the Oil change service is @ 15 k kms so you save money ... warranty is for 2 yrs 75 k so you are tension free ... you can have Extennded warranty which will go for another 2 yrs & 75 K kms ..... so what you will spend will be for Brake pads and may be once in four years for Suspension overhaul

but still if you are confused and want to settle for sedan then my suggestion will be to wait till september for Fiat Linea, which is very stylist and a has a great drivability and I guess it should not cost you much more than 8.0 L
Old 25th July 2008, 14:58   #20
BHPian

Thanks to all of you for the advise, Well Safari it is , the LX Version with Body colured bumpers and Cladding. Trying to get the Local dealers to get some good offers as well. Any special advise which I should go for before booking the Car.....
Old 25th July 2008, 15:01   #21
BHPian

Rohit congratulations! While taking delivery, just make sure to carry the pre-delivery checklist from the forum and check the vehicle for any problems. Best of luck. When do you plan to bring her home?
Old 25th July 2008, 15:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to all of you for the advise, Well Safari it is , the LX Version with Body colured bumpers and Cladding.
Congrats, I had consciously refrained from giving my "biased" advice earlier but this is really the best amongst the three options you'd listed.

Have loads of fun in your new ridecheers: - what color BTW?
Old 25th July 2008, 15:34   #23
BHPian

The color has to be either Arctic White or Pearl white, have a strong liking for White coloured vehicles for the Grace they exude.....
Old 25th July 2008, 15:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The color has to be either Arctic White or Pearl white, have a strong liking for White coloured vehicles for the Grace they exude.....
GO for PEARL WHITE than the artic silver. the paint will have its shine for longer. unique colour.

do check the vehicle properly, especially the ODO, less kms on odo suggest that its ok tested in one shot/less trials. listen to the engine carefully, if possible do take an expert with u. check the AC and other electricals before taking the delivery.

carefully watch from beneath and inside the bonnets, we have seen on forum accident vehicles repaired by dealers given to the customers.

dont worry LX is a nice version and tata has improved its quality substantially on 2.2l dicor.
Old 25th July 2008, 16:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
GO for PEARL WHITE than the artic silver. the paint will have its shine for longer. unique colour.
Amit, he's talking about Arctic White, not Silver....
Quote:
Old 25th July 2008, 16:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys

the poll goes for the safari, LX, VX or EX, that is the next million dollar question....
the cars on the forum are majorly EX , but how do I leave out some options and get my own ideas in place in terms of ICE, tyres etc....
Choice is quite simple here suppose if you have money to spare Vx is clear winner , It has ABS , EBD and Dual Air Bag which is not there in Ex or Scorpios ( mHawk works costlier then Ex now ).

Suppose you are low on your budget then Lx is clear winner , There is no real differentiating feature in Ex actually. There is a price difference of 1.4 lakhs between Ex and Lx.

I got my Safari 2.2 VTT Lx in Quartz black color delivered today morning.
and was under the same delima.
For making your decison easy I am listing Lx and Ex differences and what you can get fitted and what you can not.

Ex Features not available in Lx but can be fitted easily.

1. Fog Lamps ( can be fitted for 2800 rs)
2. Boday colour bumper and Roof Rails ( purely asthetic but you can get them painted by dealer , Concord painted for my in 8000 Rs)
3. ICE , Safari Ex stck is blaupankt dealer told HU is available for 6K
in the remaining 1.29 L ( assuming you have fitted fog lamps and painted the bumpers and cladding) you can easily fit a good ICE.
4. Keyless Entry ( Go for any aftermarket System from Minda-Huf , Xenos or Autocop as per your liking).

Ex Features which you will not get in Lx.

1. Beige Color interiors : Personally I like Lx black/grey ones becuase in Beige color the plastics look too cheap and also in Indian conditions beige is nightmare to maintain.

2. Rear Defogger : Rear defogger is required if and only if you live in an area where you get snow fall . For rains for plains and normal winters
Rear wiper of Lx is enough, It may be possible to fit rear defogger if you spend few thousand but I have not researched it.

3. Wooden finish console : Not a must actually in Lx the central console is
silver finish , I some how do not like the fake wood cladding.

4. Electric fuel Lid opener : In Lx the fuel lid opener is mechanical , you need to pull a knob below drivers seat.
Anyday mechanical opener is more reliable then electrical.

Ex Features you can get in Lx if you spend some money but it will differ from factory fitted stuff.

1. Analog clock on central consol : You can fit a clock easily somewhere else though
2. Driver seat hight adjustment :
Not really required untill you are under 5 feet in my openion any way seat can be changed for 15000 Rs.

3. Factory Fitted Engine Immobilizer :
Actually ECU controlled Engine immobilizer from Mindahuf ( Indi brand) which is OEM on Safari Ex is available with Tata dealers they offer it as aftermarket acessary on Indicas / indigo but not for Safari as they sell it as differentiation feature between Lx and Ex ,
Aftermarket Engine immobilizer and Remote locking costs aroudn 5000Rs anyway ( Autocop /Xenos)

4. Roof mounted Rear AC vents :

Tata Dealer deny that this can be fitted but the fact is that this is available for around 20000 outside , I have seen roof mounted AC fitted
in Scorpio mHawk Vlx demo car of Vijay Auto bangalore , This was from Safari and teh dealer offered on Scorpio for 31,000.

In lX AC ducts are near to the floor for rear seats and quite efficient it takes around 5 mts more to cool the cabin but you may like to go for roof mounted AC if you can't wait.

So my verdict is either Vx or Lx and No for Ex.

If you are buying Lx by spending around 30,000 Rs you can get all the features you really require and my list of aftermarket fitmnents in Lx are

1. Engine Immobilizer and remote locking : 5000 Rs
2. Fog Lamps : 2800 Rs
3. ICE : Depends on your choice ( ICE of Ex you can get under 10 K ).
4. Reverse parking sensors and Camera : This comes only with Vx and is absolute must in either Ex or Lx costs between 10 to 15 K depending on
LCD size and number of sensors.
5. A mechanical gear lock aroudn 900 Rs.
6 Lumar or 3M sunfilm 3000Rs.

Regards
Amit
Old 25th July 2008, 19:27   #27
BHPian

Amit
thanks a tonne , for the details,
LX is the one I am going for with all the fine details provided by you.
How much did your lx cost you ex showroom, just to compare prices across the country.
Old 25th July 2008, 19:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Go with the LX, you can get many extra fittings done for the extra money you will be spendng for the EX(Approx 1.25L) which i not worth it.

The best thing in Safari is going with the LX or VX and mine is a VX due to the safety reasons, if you can spend near to 11.5L then suggest to go for VX.

VX main reason ABS & Airbags
Old 25th July 2008, 21:59   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

@Rohit, that was quick & easy. Congrats on your choice. Wishing you years of trouble-free, & happy ownership.

Amit, the comparison was a little confusing. Personally prefer the factory fitted features on the EX than going in for aftermarket options. Personally find the rear de-fogger to be useful when the situation arises. The rear wiper cannot replace the function of the rear defogger.
Old 25th July 2008, 22:23   #30
BHPian

Dilemma Dilemma!!

Now I am in a quandary after reading the Safari threads. Wanting to move from NHC, I was actively considering Innova as I wanted to finally get out of sedans and try out the macho thing. So what if I am 43? Its never late for good things in life. I TDed the Innova, liked it, though I did not like the looks too much and the lack of features in a 10 lac car (G4). It does not have the SUVian looks. I was tempted to look at the Scorpio when I landed on the Safari threads. After reading them I feel compelled to have a look a it before I TD the Scorp. Why didn't Safari come to my mind when I was considering Indian SUVs? Anyway, now that I have a clear choice, I wish to pursue that with single-minded determination.

While reading the threads, I was impressed by the passion of the Safari owners. It seems that comments which I have heard people make about Tata being able to produce only trucks, or the fallibility of brakes in all Tata cars are just rumours.

Some of the things about which I did not find a mention in the threads

1. FE of the new Dicor 2.2 VTT.
2. Handling at higher speeds
3. With a 6m turning radius, how is the maneuverability, especially in City?
4. A.S.S (Mumbai)
5. Spare costs

Can anyone guide me to a reliable dealer in Mumbai where I can have a TD? I live in Goregaon.

Well, Safari lovers, here's your chance to add one more to your tribe! cheers:

Most Viewed