Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2013, 08:00   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Buying a used Mahindra Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Friends,

In view of this, how much should be the ideal price for this car?
, but would the ride be too uncomfortable during highway runs?
Price is subjective. Carwale is generally a good place to get a reference price for used cars. You can evaluate by model, km etc.

Regarding ride the 4WD Scorpio comes with Torsion Bar in front instead of coil. The handling is stiffer than a 2WD Scorpio so it has slightly better handling on the highway, but on bad roads, I guess it is worse than the 2WD Scorpio.

As you said Air Bags are an extra paid option so hardly anyone gets it. I happened to get Air Bags on mine as well.
Old 9th December 2013, 09:59   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
As you said Air Bags are an extra paid option so hardly anyone gets it. I happened to get Air Bags on mine as well.
Yes, it seems that people really do not buy safety features when these are made optional. This was the 1st Scorpio in the last few months of my hunt that I saw with Air Bags. But sadly, as I type this, got a call from the dealer saying that the car has been sold last evening for 7.9 lakhs. Now, he is offering me a 61k run 2009 VLX BS III non Air Bag for 6.5 lakhs which I'm not too keen on.
So, the search is again on.
Old 9th December 2013, 23:01   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
got a call from the dealer saying that the car has been sold last evening for 7.9 lakhs. Now, he is offering me a 61k run 2009 VLX BS III non Air Bag for 6.5 lakhs which I'm not too keen on.
So, the search is again on.
I sold my 2010 VLX with Air Bags and additional DVD player and about 60K kms for 7.5 lakh in the first quarter of this year so I guess you dealer maybe inflating the price a little bit. (They always do). I think it will be very hard to fine one with Air Bags. It was 25,000 more when I booked my Scorpio. It amazes me that people will not pay extra for ABS/Air Bags, but invest in an ICE upgrade and other funky stuff for over a lakh !!
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 13:04   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I think it will be very hard to fine one with Air Bags. It was 25,000 more when I booked my Scorpio. It amazes me that people will not pay extra for ABS/Air Bags, but invest in an ICE upgrade and other funky stuff for over a lakh !!
The dealer has just shown me another VLX with Airbags. But the catch is it has run 85k. Considering the fact that Scorpio VLX Airbag is such a rare breed, shall I bite this one if the price is right? It is a 2011 later half made vehicle. The owner has business out of city and so the avg running is high. Otherwise the car looks well maintained.
If I at all decide about this, what potential issues could I face? I am keeping the option open only because Airbags are very rare in a used Scorpio.
Old 10th December 2013, 20:25   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The dealer has just shown me another VLX with Airbags. But the catch is it has run 85k.
If the vehicle has the proper service records, 85K is nothing for the vehicle. A well maintained mhawk will clock over 200K comfortably. Just make sure that the clutch slave cylnder has been updated to latest type otehrwise, it will definitely break down at some point.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 00:23   #171
BHPian

A dealer just contacted me regarding a 2009 Scorpio 2x2 AT VLX Bs 3 with airbags, with 39000 kms on the clock, for 6.85 L. The Team bhp used price tool for cars said the rate should be around 6 to 6.5 L, and I think I can probably get him down to 6.5 for it.
However I am concerned with what issues I might face. Any thoughts from a die hard scorpio fan?
Old 15th December 2013, 10:10   #172
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
However I am concerned with what issues I might face. Any thoughts from a die hard scorpio fan?
The price can be negotiated and that is not a concern. Is this a first owner vehicle? Does it have a clean service history? Is it's NCB intact? If yes, then it is a reliable vehicle, generally speaking. Which city is the car from?
Old 15th December 2013, 14:54   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The price can be negotiated and that is not a concern. Is this a first owner vehicle? Does it have a clean service history? Is it's NCB intact? If yes, then it is a reliable vehicle, generally speaking. Which city is the car from?
It is a first owner vehicle, with a clean service history. Not sure about the NCB's but I will find out.
City is Mumbai.
Old 16th December 2013, 09:22   #174
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
It is a first owner vehicle, with a clean service history. Not sure about the NCB's but I will find out.
City is Mumbai.
If the service history and the NCB are clean, you could go for it after a detailed inspection of the vehicle and its owner. Should not be an issue.
Old 17th December 2013, 19:06   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
If the service history and the NCB are clean, you could go for it after a detailed inspection of the vehicle and its owner. Should not be an issue.
I will check on that asap and get back to you. Thanks ever so much
Old 11th April 2014, 17:35   #176

Friends,

Time to say goodbye to my Swift Zxi (2008 80K KM) mainly because I need a bigger car for long drives. I plan to buy a used Scorpio but need your help on a few points:
  • If I go for a 2007 model under 1.25L mileage, will it be reliable (for longdrives) for next 5 years (+80,000 KM) if properly maintained?
  • If not, What should be the maximum odo reading? I see from 20K to 130K for 2007-2010 Scorpios (assuming valid service history is present).
  • After 1L km, will the periodical service be costlier due to part replacement?
  • Between 2006 - 2010 models, is any of them notorious for technical issues which I should be beware of?
  • From your experience, does IBB price suggestion make sense? I think it is better than other calculators (like carWale)

Cheers!
Old 13th April 2014, 16:03   #177

Last day I saw a Scorpio VLX mHawk 2009 model (no air bag) 20K on odo which was on sale for 7.8L. I liked the vehicle - very less trace of usage. The symbols on switches (light, wiper etc) where as good as new, neat interior and seat fabric (didnt look like they had a seat cover) even the scratches caused by nail under the door handle were very less.

I didnt agree on price - any idea what was the price for this model at that time?
Old 16th May 2014, 22:29   #178
BHPian

Yesterday, I came across this:

2008 Mahindra Scorpio VLX 2WD BS3 - Silver - Good condition inside and out, 62000 km, manual, 8-seater, front and rear bull bars, new battery/AC. Available for 4,40,000.

2010 Mahindra Scorpio VLX 2WD BS4 Airbags - Black w/grey cladding - Good condition overall, full service history, 8-seater, 17500 km. Available for 7,25,000.

Now, considering that I am looking for a vehicle solely to drive on the hills and the highways (good and bad roads included), do any of the above make sense? Does Scorpio itself make sense, given the roads I will be driving on? According to Carwale, these prices are good. But is there anything I should check or be wary of as far as the model years are concerned?
Old 19th May 2014, 21:58   #179
BANNED

Hi all,

I am in the plan of looking out for a Scorpio and need to know which model to look for..ie beyond 2010 or beyond 2009.because I don't remember when the last facelift was done .

I am planning for because I wanted a tall vehicle ,since it's difficult for me to sit in low cars.i am 6.1 and my legs are longer than my trunk ,so.

Any more info that will help me is welcome !
Old 22nd June 2015, 22:48   #180
BHPian

Advice about buying a second hand Mahindra Scorpio

Hi Friends,

I need advice about buying a second hand Mahindra Scorpio. I am not very well versed about cars though I am becoming a seasoned Motorcyle Tourer. My principal requirements for a four wheeler are:

1. Ability to go over the roughest roads of India with equanimity.
2. Have a fair amount of power to cruise the highways at around 120 kmph
3. Vehicle should be a multi purpose vehicle, ie, a vehicle that I can use for family purposes as well as touring

My first choice was a Mahindra Thar however I moved past this because

1. It is a specialized vehicle and not as versatile in use cases as a completely covered vehicle especially regarding family use, luggage safety etc.
2. Effectively a Jeep is a two seater vehicle and for a man of my financial means such specialized vehicles are not worth it.

So I have narrowed down my choice to a Mahindra Scorpio. These are the criteria I have set for the vehicle:

1. The vehicle should not be older than 2010 ( That gives me between 7 to 10 years of worry free use before re-registration)
2. Vehicle should be of Karnataka registration ( to escape from the RoK hassles)

Friends, please advice me what sort of budget I should prepare for? I currently have a warchest of around 5 Lakhs and want to know how much more it would cost.

Also please advice on what all things to look for and check for while buying a used Scorpio. Are there any particular years or models to be wary of? Are there any particular dealer who is particularly trustworthy in Bangalore? Please do guide me in these queries.

I am a novice in this matter with just a few ten thousand kilometers of driving experience in my 16 years old Hyundai Santro.

To Mods: I am posting here as I am unsure if this is the right subforum to post this query. Please move it to appropriate forum if required. I hope this would not be deleted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks