Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2013, 20:37   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Good price for a used Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninflamez View Post
1.What are the things that would decide the price for this forester. The quoted price is much higher
2. Apart from timing chain which I presume should be changed by 1Lakh km what other things would need replacement if he plans to buy one
3. Anything Forester specific that needs to be checked
4. Common Problems / Issues / headaches he should be aware of
Somehow your link is not working properly but I think I have seen this ad and I agree that the quoted price is very high. But I don't know what would be the fair price.
From my experience, there are many things that may need repair/replacement in a Forester (or at least should be thoroughly checked before the purchase)
  • AC
  • Clutch
  • Suspension (especially rear shocks)
  • Exhaust (look for rust in the joints)

Last edited by Guna : 27th August 2013 at 20:42.
Old 27th August 2013, 21:40   #182

I'm not sure why the link did not work. I have pasted it again for reference and I hope it works this time.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...Forester.html/

If the quoted price is too high, could you please let me know what would be the ideal price to purchase this car?

Also, I agree that we have to ensure if all the parts of the car are in good working condition before purchasing it. However, could someone provide inputs here regarding the serviceability options in Bangalore?

We have noticed that the AC is not working fine. However, I test drove the car and found the clutch to be fine and even the throttle response of the car was good.

From the picture it looks like the rear left shock might need a bit of tinkering.

Regarding the rust in the exhaust tip - I will check that when my friend and I go to check out the car once more.

Thanks,
John
Old 27th August 2013, 23:20   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If the quoted price is too high, could you please let me know what would be the ideal price to purchase this car?

Also, I agree that we have to ensure if all the parts of the car are in good working condition before purchasing it. However, could someone provide inputs here regarding the serviceability options in Bangalore?

We have noticed that the AC is not working fine. However, I test drove the car and found the clutch to be fine and even the throttle response of the car was good.

From the picture it looks like the rear left shock might need a bit of tinkering.

Regarding the rust in the exhaust tip - I will check that when my friend and I go to check out the car once more.

Thanks,
John
As I said, I really don't know the right price but I am guessing it should be a 75 k to a lakh lesser? IcarusMan must have better idea as he purchased his car recently.
Rear shocks/struts are self leveling (filled with nitrous gas) and are very expensive to replace (not sure if tinkering is possible).
Also the rust incidents have taken place on the joint near he cat-con, not the exhaust tip.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 23:24   #184
BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine has stumbled upon a used forester here in the classifieds...
As Guna said, price is on the high side - try to knock it down by about a lac. If possible, have the AC checked to see if it's just a low gas issue that's easily tackled with a recharge, or something more serious. Get suspension struts/shocks checked too.

As for the exhaust pipe rust issue, I won't get too worked up about it, assuming it does not need a replacement. It's pretty simple to fix, so long as it's in a joint area - any good welder can do the job.

Trident CASS at Kalyan Nagar will service the Forester. However, do not expect them to stock any parts. All parts - OEM/aftermarket - for the Foz are available - but you have to order via CASS who will get it from Japan, or source it online from abroad yourself. Be prepared to do a lot of online research .
IcarusMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 05:51   #185
Senior - BHPian

The Forester is a dream machine, unfortunately, the bottom has fallen out of the market for it and owners should be lucky if people are showing interest in the vehicle

Having said that, there is nothing that beats it even today
- As clichéd as it may sound, its a Subaru Imprezza on stilts, the WRC dream car
- The doors are awesome, they do not have a frame and open out like a Ferrari
- Its very popular all over the world, so any part you want should only be an e-bay away
Old 28th August 2013, 06:48   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure why the link did not work. I have pasted it again for reference and I hope it works this time.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...Forester.html/

Thanks,
John
In all matters of Foresters and w140s, I suggest that you could check with a knowledgeable T-bhpian 'Nandish Pal' bhai about wider options that may be available to you within your budget and certain technical issues to double check for prior to buying one!

Last edited by vinay kamath : 28th August 2013 at 06:50.
Old 28th August 2013, 11:44   #187
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support - Thread closed. Please continue discussion here.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks