Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 17:38   #46
Team-BHP Support

Then it might work out well for you as long as you stock up on spares and go in - eyes wide open!
Old 26th August 2008, 23:00   #47
BHPian

THat Forestor got sold theres another one silver color and 2005 model selling for abt 5.75 lakhs .
Old 26th August 2008, 23:06   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Hi Ajmat
I have not driven it extensively but have driven in short streaches whiles doing test drives.
Yes, I do come across bad roads as I keep driving to my native place in North Canara. 4WD is a handy thing on some of the non-tarmac roads there in rainy season. I would like to veture in to some forest trails there beacsue of my love for nature and hobby photography.
Of course I also agree that it is bit of a romantic decision becasue it is possible to manage without one also . It is one of those 'nice to have' things and not a 'must have' to survive.
I dont plan to use it so much a city car as it is not very drivable in the city besides it's poor fuel economy.
Mr Hegde,

i beg to differ on your thoughts.

The forester is a great car to drive in the city as well in the highways.

Now that you've worked on your finances, hope to see the car pics sooner.
Old 27th August 2008, 00:31   #49
BHPian

All Subaru products were/are hot cars in kenya, recently in US while going from Phoenix ro the Grand Canyon passing through a town called FlagStaff..noticed that 90% cars were Subarus with majority being foresters, asked the reason at the gas station, they said since it snows a lot in flagstaff and subaru being all wheel drive ir becomes a logical choice.

my brother in toronto tells me a simlar story, who also has one himself

i have driven it extensively in kenya and just looove... the sound of it

Anupam
Old 27th August 2008, 00:34   #50
BHPian

and hearing the same being available for as low as 4.5 lac in the used market is very very tempting, but the gas cost will kill me here..
Old 27th August 2008, 09:02   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

The forester is a great car to drive in the city as well in the highways.

Now that you've worked on your finances, hope to see the car pics sooner.
Hi Kadam
I think it is not all that bad in the City but the low end torque and tall gearing are not so much suited for city driving.
Yes, looking forword to ost the pics soon
Old 27th August 2008, 09:41   #52
Senior - BHPian

IMO, It would be easier to get service and spares for an EVO compared to the forrester.
Old 27th August 2008, 11:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
IMO, It would be easier to get service and spares for an EVO compared to the forrester.
Nitrous
Have you known any specific instances of Forester owners having trouble with parts? What I gather is, one needs to place an order with GM service and they get it for you. Of course a wait is invloved and they charge heavily for the parts. But i guess the Parts are still made/will be made even for older models by all japanese manufactures.
Old 27th August 2008, 12:44   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The Subaru Forester is quite popular in the rural/semi-rural bits of the UK and Mainland Europe too, for exactly the same reason - AWD. Atleast, Ive seen lots of them on the roads / towns/ petrol stations etc - usually packed with stuff and quite often a large dog as well sitting inside, peering out of the rear window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
All Subaru products were/are hot cars in kenya, recently in US while going from Phoenix ro the Grand Canyon passing through a town called FlagStaff..noticed that 90% cars were Subarus with majority being foresters, asked the reason at the gas station, they said since it snows a lot in flagstaff and subaru being all wheel drive ir becomes a logical choice.

my brother in toronto tells me a simlar story, who also has one himself

i have driven it extensively in kenya and just looove... the sound of it

Anupam
Old 27th August 2008, 13:48   #55
Senior - BHPian

Subaru AWD is supposed to be superior to many others and they really 'work' in slippery situations.
Watch this interesting video where you will see many big names struggling when the conditions get tough
Old 27th August 2008, 14:00   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Subaru Forester was sold as Chevy Forester by GM-India.
But the one i saw had a subaru emblem/logo in the front grille.
Old 27th August 2008, 14:06   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Nitrous
Have you known any specific instances of Forester owners having trouble with parts? What I gather is, one needs to place an order with GM service and they get it for you. Of course a wait is invloved and they charge heavily for the parts. But i guess the Parts are still made/will be made even for older models by all japanese manufactures.

Yes spares are still available , though it takes time.

Car automobiles and J K Automobiles stocks few GM spares, that might not be a great problem though.

Though this car might not be manufactured here in India, but it still sells well in Australia and japanese markets till today.

When i can get new spares for my 41 yr old VW Beetle even today, you are worrying about spares for a running model car.

If you search you'll even find GOD, afterall its only spares that you are worried about.

Chill out and enjoy the car man.cheers:

Rotor Head-
The green one LHD is what you might have seen in Bangalore, i've seen that myself and its a 2000 model original Subaru, and apart from the LHD its same as the present day forester.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 27th August 2008 at 14:09.
Old 27th August 2008, 21:32   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
But the one i saw had a subaru emblem/logo in the front grille.
If it is a silver colour Forester, probably it belongs to a friend of mine who imported Suraru logos and fixed them on his Chevrolet Forester. Probably I will do the same.
Old 27th August 2008, 22:55   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

When i can get new spares for my 41 yr old VW Beetle even today, you are worrying about spares for a running model car.
Kadam
In internationational market, Forester saw minor upgrades (like new front nose) during 05 and now there is a altogether new Forester (which has nothing in common with the Forester we see here in India) recently.
Old 28th August 2008, 07:41   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi reji,

Thanks for the prompt response.

> So far I have had no service problems with the GM fellows.

> had to pay 12,000 for my 30,000km service due to change of brake pads.

Was it a mandatory change?

> For 40,000km I expect it to be about Rs.10,000 as all the transmission oils

It does seem to be on the higher side, but the car is truly a gem.

What is the fuel efficiency?

I can still picture five of us (4 of family and the sales guy) going down a hill at the end of the sea port airport road. The climb up was superb as it was just ruts. My family sitting at the back thoroughly enjoyed it.

Petrol with an asking price of 13L was out of my budget then.

Hi Rajesh

The brake pads had worn out because I use the forester only for long drives and hence they may have more wear and tear. The average mileage is between 9 and 10 kmpl.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks