Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo or Tata Safari

Safari is the way to go HappyRoadie and I am sure you have already experienced the Tata A.S.S and would know that Safari and Aria customers are considered premium customers at their service station. In fact if you own a Safari you don't need to bother about getting service bookings done in advanced (this is from my personal experience with a friend of mine who had Safari and never did service bookings in advance just walkin

Another aspect or the main difference in Xylo and Safari is the engine. XYLO has old generation engine which was handed down to it from Scorpio - though the engine is good its still generation old. Safari has the latest engine in it (though its more than 4 yrs old now but that is the time when even Scorpio engine was upgraded to their current engine) and has been improved a lot over the previous gen engine. I am sure you will like to highway manners of Safari and since you are already driving the Grande you will appreciate this engine more as Grande is derived from the same engine but in a toned down fashion.

My suggestion is buy SAFARI and you will not regret your decision.
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:00   #17
BHPian

Congrats HappyRodie! A brand new Safari will defenitely take you places "Reclaim your life"

@Pavan, I was just refering to Shankar's post about it being a low maintenance vehicle which is not the perception I had after reading TBHP posts. Ya, agree that perception was not based on actual ownership. I was refering to the technicals problems page in TBHP. I would love to own a new Safari with the extended warranty, but yes the fox does not have enough cash for the grapes..

Really appreciate your love for the vehicle.

Cheers
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:41   #18
BHPian

@roy_libran I have not yet finalized. I have just given my budget. Xylo E4 and Safari LX fit the budget. After reading all the comments I am slightly leaning over Safari.

Regards
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:55   #19
BHPian

Hey Happy, the LX entry model does not have ABS right? Is it OK for such a large vehicle to not have ABS?
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

^^^ You have already good experience of dealing with Tata, and evidently, do not hold any bias against them on that front. The Safari is a great vehicle, if not a legend on the Indian Automotive scene, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot. Do go for it, and I also think that the LX makes perfectly good sense to buy.
Xylo does indeed have that taxi image, in spite of being a VFM package.
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:24   #21
BHPian

I dont want to get into the tata vs rest debate. Still one potential
point to consider is "resale" value. I think compared to a xylo, safari
will have a lower resale and if TATA's safari's replacement SUV is launched,
it will take a further hit. Consider this aspect as well.

My personal suggestion, FWIW, will be Innova or Scorpio or Xylo or Safari in
that order.
chandras1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
I dont want to get into the tata vs rest debate. Still one potential
point to consider is "resale" value. I think compared to a xylo, safari
will have a lower resale and if TATA's safari's replacement SUV is launched,
it will take a further hit. Consider this aspect as well.

My personal suggestion, FWIW, will be Innova or Scorpio or Xylo or Safari in
that order.
Absolutely agree.

Really do not know why, but Innova and Scorpio have fantastic resale values, whereas Safari resale prices are pretty low.
It is probably because of the general market perception that reliability is an issue with Tata vehicles.
Every driver I have ever spoken to, swears by the Mahindras and Innova, but berates the Tata range of vehicles, and the Tavera!
Wonder what has led to this perception, even after the Tatas have made so many improvements over time...
Old 23rd March 2011, 23:11   #23
Team-BHP Support

Safari cannot seat six in comfort.
Only with a front facing rear bench you can seat six people.

If looks/image/SUV status etc., does not matter to you, the E4 Xylo will give you better value for money, even though it looks like a cheesburger fed whale.

However, if you heart is set on a proper good looking SUV, then its the Safari for you, but remember, it cannot seat 6 in comfort. The rear two jump seats are only for children you do not like.

PS: I own a safari
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2011, 06:44   #24
BHPian

@tsk1979 I understand that Safari can not carry 6 in comfort. My Grande also has front facing seat in the last row but the problem with this is that you have to fold the last row to accomodate luggage. So that makes it a 5 seater. I think that Xylo also comes with side facing seats? I would like to have a car with side facing seats than front facing seats. Also problem with front facing seats is that you have to fold the middle row to reach the last row and front facing seats also hamper the visibility according to me. So I think that side facing would be better this time.

Regards
Old 24th March 2011, 07:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi HappyRoadie,

Pardon my OT question, but why not explore the option of installing two side facing seats in your existing Grande itself, if that's the only reason you are planning to change your vehicle ?

But if you are sold on the Safari, go ahead, buy it and enjoy the beast !
Old 24th March 2011, 12:31   #26
BHPian

@Mooza It is not the reason. The reason is that it is having many problems. It is not refined, NVH levels are high etc. Front road visibility is also very poor. SO these are the reasons I want to sell my Grande.

Regards
Old 24th March 2011, 12:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
@Mooza It is not the reason. The reason is that it is having many problems. It is not refined, NVH levels are high etc. Front road visibility is also very poor. SO these are the reasons I want to sell my Grande.

Regards
Any particular reason why you have not kept the MK2 in consideration?
Old 24th March 2011, 13:36   #28
BHPian

If you are not bowled over by the charm of a safari, I did suggest you the Xylo for its Mahindra reliability and the 6 comfortable seats it offers. Also in long run I feel Xylo will be comparitively niggle free when compared to Safari.

But to be truthful i am too bowled over by a Safari's charm.
(PS: I own a tata car).
Old 24th March 2011, 13:49   #29
BHPian

@roy_libran I think it is no point selling a Grande and again purchasing a Grande MKII. I have lost my faith on Grande. And the people in the workshop say that their is not much difference between the two except interiors and little bit on exteriors. And once I saw a Grande MKII in the workshop suffering from same Disc problem that I suffered. The owner was fed up of the car and he was telling that he will sell it off once it is repaired. So all these are the reasons that I am not considering Grande MKII.

Regards
Old 24th March 2011, 15:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

^^^ And you still feel safe in considering a Tata Product? :-))

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks