Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 14:48   #46
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo or Tata Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
So it would not be a problem if I go with TATA again. I hope everyone agrees??
Ah!! That's one question where you will not get any unanimous answer .

As GTO had suggested, it would be better to spend some money (with a good mechanic) and try to make you Grande run for another couple of years atleast. The math would definitely favour that.

But, if you are looking at the avoiding the "Grande" pain no matter what the cost, then change the car.

If you are ready to forgive the Tatas for their Grande, forgive them IF you find minor niggles with your new car (like the old Bajaj Avenger ad) - go for Safari. The feeling you get when you drive one is Priceless!!

PS: Safari has been my dream car from the day it was launched ... and still is only a "dream".
Old 5th April 2011, 21:19   #47
BHPian

@drsk Hope your dream may soon come true.

Yesterday my opinion changed about TATA. Since yesterday my car jerks while breaking. This means that Discs are getting damaged. Though they have changed the whole assembly of my Grande still it has occured. While turning the steering their is a loud noise. When I asked the mechanics in the workshop they say that it is like this only and it is normal. What should I do. This is the 7th time the discs are being changed in 1.5yrs of ownership?? This has happened after they have changed the whole assembly with a new one.

Regards
Old 5th April 2011, 21:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yesterday my opinion changed about TATA.
Regards
Can you please elaborate upon the changed opinion, rather than the cause of the change?
Old 5th April 2011, 22:13   #49
BHPian

After they changed the assembly the car was going fine. I thought that the problem is solved and was happy that now the vehicle is trouble free. But yesterday again it happened. I should have written that my opinion changed about TATA Grande. What should I do?? Please help.

Regards
Old 6th April 2011, 08:01   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday my opinion changed about TATA. Since yesterday my car jerks while breaking. This means that Discs are getting damaged. Though they have changed the whole assembly of my Grande still it has occured. While turning the steering their is a loud noise. When I asked the mechanics in the workshop they say that it is like this only and it is normal. What should I do. This is the 7th time the discs are being changed in 1.5yrs of ownership?? This has happened after they have changed the whole assembly with a new one.

Regards
Really felt bad for you. Some tough luck is dawn upon you. Prey and hope your stars change soon.

Now the fact of the matters is even a competent mechanic can take care of these kind of problems so do we expect TATA to be even lesser competent ??

Let us be FAIR maybe just maybe you are dealt with a lemon by grossly incompetent dealer/service (usually same).
Companies like "Badal" "sipani motors" were more competent to make proper working braks, so we can not and should not take credit out of TATA's performance. They definitely need a better A-S-S.
A large number of TATA vehicles are plying as taxi which would not have been possible if the products were so deficient.

Again, please get hold of a good mechanic or else on your visit to big town try a different TASS.

Cheers
Old 6th April 2011, 08:27   #51
BHPian

Pick the Xylo if you can stand the way it looks. Its an absolute VFM product and being a Mahindra, its easy on pocket and service is comparatively better. M&M ASCs can give you headaches at times, but definitely will not drive you up the wall, making you frustrated enough to dispose off the vehicle.

I too belong to that group who always wanted a Safari. But then Tata's ASC and service horror stories keeps me away. I wouldn't suggest a Safari, unless you have befriended a reliable and skilled mech somewhere in your neighborhood.

Last edited by jeeva : 6th April 2011 at 08:35.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 07:51   #52
BHPian

I am now also considering Scorpio LX. It is a good vehicle and I think it suffers from less problems. Scorpio owners please tell whether I am right or wrong. Till now my issue has not been solved.

Regards
Old 14th April 2011, 09:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Okay, if you are now looking towards M&M more seriously, why not consider the Bolero VLX too, and use the remaining bucks, to plonk it up? It is one, seriously good vehicle.
Old 14th April 2011, 10:13   #54
BANNED

We are all getting into this debate.

Request all to refrain making biased comments.

The question is simple.

Xylo or the Safari....?

We can suggest the thread starter one of them, but can stay away from going

Both the products are good in their own terms, while the Safari Beats the Xylo on Comfort, and Space.
Old 16th April 2011, 03:24   #55
BANNED

Quote:
I am now also considering Scorpio LX. It is a good vehicle and I think it suffers from less problems. Scorpio owners please tell whether I am right or wrong.
You are bang on target. Reliability has always been amongst the Scorpio's trump card which is why it is such a popular vehicle and has sold around 4k units last month.

In fact, the LX which has no gizmos like the VLX is even simpler and has a very good record of not having niggling issues. Look at Anjan, Shankar Balan and other ownership threads for reference.
Old 16th April 2011, 06:44   #56
BHPian

Hi
@Pavankadam: I accept that safari is great looking compared to xylo and handles better but xylo wins hands down in space, mileage, cost, service, resale value, interiors, cost of spares etc. In proper hands xylo will behave better than safari. There are examples of the same in this forum itself.
@Happyroadie: If i am in your position with this kind of shabby after sales service i would have by now gone to a private mechanic who can sort it out for me and if it fails dump the lemon, accept the loss and move on to better things. Scorpio is a wonderful vehicle which i would prefer anyday over safari. Cheers
Old 16th April 2011, 10:38   #57
BHPian

IMHO the following are points to ponder:

Looks-
Tata Safari wins hands down.

VFM - Xylo

Space - Xylo has a better 2nd and 3rd row.

After Sales - Tata may have more number of outlets; Mahindra may score a tad higher in terms of their behavior with customers.

Given a choice I would have gone for the Tata; A black Tata Safari is a stunner.
Old 18th April 2011, 15:02   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your wishes.

Quote:
Yesterday my opinion changed about TATA Grande. Since yesterday my car jerks while breaking. This means that Discs are getting damaged.
I believe that is what you meant.

Regarding the problems, as others have mentioned, I too would suggest you to try a trusted local mechanic who deals with Tata Safari/Sumo. Maybe other teambhp'ians near your location can help on this.

Quote:
I am now also considering Scorpio LX. It is a good vehicle and I think it suffers from less problems. Scorpio owners please tell whether I am right or wrong. Till now my issue has not been solved.
I have only test driven both Scorpio and Xylo for a very short distance (that too quite sometime ago). Based on this I would suggest -

Scorpio - if you want the SUV looks. It is still a 5 seater only. I sat in the Scorpio after sitting in Safari and I hated the seating position. Safari is miles ahead there. (I believe opinion is true even with my slight bias towards Safari)

Xylo - If you are "ok" with the people mover looks, this is a better vehicle than Scorpio in terms of comfort. I have heard that Xylo's handling is not that good. The test vehicle I drove started like an old lorry though. But, I have heard my friend (Xylo owner) negating my opinion on that.
Old 18th April 2011, 15:27   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
IMHO the following are points to ponder:

Looks-
Tata Safari wins hands down.
Agreed

Quote:
VFM - Xylo
Agreed
Quote:
Space - Xylo has a better 2nd and 3rd row.
Not Agreed.
Have you sat in Safari second row? For third row bench seat I can agree as Safari does not offer bench seat. Second row of Safari is way comfortable than Xylo.

Quote:
After Sales - Tata may have more number of outlets; Mahindra may score a tad higher in terms of their behavior with customers.
Not agreed.
Mahindra scored second last in recent survey done by professionals in after sales support. There is thread about that in TBHP itself. Check the last two. Please support argument with data.

Here is survey result from JD Power Asia Pacific 2010

Maruti is number 1 with 849 points.
FIAT second with 801
Honda comes third with 789 points.
Hyundai is fourth with 785 points.
TATA fifth with 779 points.
Toyota sixth with 777.
Chevrolet seventh with 771.
Skoda eighth with 770.
Ford ninth with 749.
Mahindra tenth with 747.
Mahindra Renault eleventh with 746.
Old 19th April 2011, 08:01   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Not Agreed.
Second row of Safari is way comfortable than Xylo.

As regards the behavior towards customers I had voiced my personal opinion on the basis of my own experiences with TATA. The same may be subjective and may differ from dealer to dealer. I had also said that IMHO Mahindra scores slightly better over TATA in terms of "behavior" towards customers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks