Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2008, 11:57   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
You know boys, DRIVE has many meanings. Let us discuss two of these that pertain to us.
  • DRIVE: An organised effort by a large number of people to raise money for a particular cause.
  • DRIVE: The act of accelerating and steering a vehicle to get from one place to another.
I came here thinking it was the former. Turns out to be the latter.

So let me get this right - you people who love cars and love to drive anyways, want to now drive in the name of peace?

So should I now get out a large stack of loudspeakers and play my favourite music and tell everyone that this time it is against terrorism?

Seriously, if a bunch of Team-BHPians went to Leopold and had lots of drinks you would have a greater chance of making a difference.
The money you spend on beer will help restore Leopold.

THis way the money you burn in your car will only go to the HP and BP and IOL. Nobody else will get anything from it *shrug*

You want to make a difference so badly? Do you want to really?
Call the newspaper, find out the names of the Taj/Oberoi kitchen staff who died, get the poorest of the lot and go to their home with the same petrol money. That will be a real difference.

Not a bunch of young people driving around like it's a happy Sunday.
Whistle blowing is all i can say !. You dissect with your mind the thought process of a single person without giving due credit for joining along in a cause where he feels he can fit in .

You rip, shred and bend the feel good factor for trying to contribute in some manner to the atrocities in Mumbai. One's contribution may not be monetary as you may suggest , but if our own interests are merged with the intention of sharing the sorrow, i don't see no harm. Are you suggesting a group of people inspired to come together because of their passion towards gasoline machinary is the wrong starting line?.How can you assume we have all decided where the "drive" would finish!.

If one may join a "drive" and feel the need to be heard out.THEN SO BE IT!.If one can end up meeting a person of influence after/during the "drive" and guide him to what the next step should be,THEN SO BE IT.If we end up meeting someone with the list of innocent dead whilst on the drive and we can help with the little in our pockets, THEN SO BE IT. But to tell us our thoughts are negative and not really making a difference, to question our motives by asking "do you want to really?", WELL THAT AINT RIGHT , IS IT ???

next time please lacerate or split open the one's who are in the same wavelegth as you seem to be. Not all minds think alike, but if put together with support and inspiration rather than criticism from respected members as yourself , us mortals can be guided better.
Old 4th December 2008, 12:17   #17
BHPian

Quote:
I have another idea. Some waiters at Leopold died that day.

Collect some money. GO to leopold. Eat and drink and enjoy. When the bill comes, ask everyone to pay 500 rupees extra. Put those 500 rupees extra to one side.

GO to the owner (he sits at the cash counter) and give him a packet of money. As him to deliver it to the dead staff's family. I promise you, they are good people, they will do it.

How is that for a fun idea huh folks? That will make a difference and we'll enjoy it.
I second this idea -- this is way better than doing any pointless rallies or drives
Old 4th December 2008, 12:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I have another idea. Some waiters at Leopold died that day.

Collect some money. GO to leopold. Eat and drink and enjoy. When the bill comes, ask everyone to pay 500 rupees extra. Put those 500 rupees extra to one side.

GO to the owner (he sits at the cash counter) and give him a packet of money. As him to deliver it to the dead staff's family. I promise you, they are good people, they will do it.

How is that for a fun idea huh folks? That will make a difference and we'll enjoy it.

Credit where its due!.The same can be clubbed along with a genuine interests of people on this society, and with the intention of doing good to the needy. Going to Leopold in itself can be the organized "drive". .Appreciate the suggestion and do let us know how the members from other states can contribute as well.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 4th December 2008 at 12:29.
Old 4th December 2008, 15:38   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Whistle blowing is all i can say !. You dissect with your mind the thought process of a single person without giving due credit for joining along in a cause where he feels he can fit in .
The people "driving" are known to me on a personal basis. The drive is in Mumbai where I reside. I stated it as I would normally join them in whatever they do. My opinion is for them to take or leave, however it is an opinion of an active participant.
If you have an opinion, state it like a man, even if you are sitting in hyderabad as audience with no intention of joining in the drive, which is in Mumbai.

State your own opinion and don't call me a whistle-blower, it reeks of immaturity and disrespect.

Quote:
You rip, shred and bend the feel good factor for trying to contribute in some manner to the atrocities in Mumbai. One's contribution may not be monetary as you may suggest , but if our own interests are merged with the intention of sharing the sorrow, i don't see no harm. Are you suggesting a group of people inspired to come together because of their passion towards gasoline machinary is the wrong starting line?.How can you assume we have all decided where the "drive" would finish!.
I rip, shred and bend nothing. Neither do I wallow in the pretence that the atrocities were committed on me. I am merely lucky to be safe, well and alive.

In my opinion, if a bunch of boys (my friends) that drive to places every weekend, now drive in the name of a terrorism, it's pointless.

I said it before. This is my opinion & I stated it.. If you have a different one, I respect that.

Reading what you wrote above, I now realise I may have been wrong and you may actually be travelling to Mumbai for the drive. I may have assumed otherwise. Where then do you suggest we drive to?

Quote:
If one may join a "drive" and feel the need to be heard out.THEN SO BE IT!.If one can end up meeting a person of influence after/during the "drive" and guide him to what the next step should be,THEN SO BE IT.If we end up meeting someone with the list of innocent dead whilst on the drive and we can help with the little in our pockets, THEN SO BE IT. But to tell us our thoughts are negative and not really making a difference, to question our motives by asking "do you want to really?", WELL THAT AINT RIGHT , IS IT ???
I'm sorry absynth - I didn't realise I was questioning your motives and I didn't realise I was telling you your thoughts were negative. In fact I didn't even realise I was addressing you - Niki, you didn't tell me there were people from other states involved too.
Absynth - I hope your drive is successful and I hope you make a difference.

After all you have said, I certainly hope you don't close it by saying

Hey guys, I just said all that we and us stuff to Sam, I'm not really coming for the drive, I'm in Hyderabad heh heh, good luck boys because that would make you look really silly on this thread.

Quote:
next time please lacerate or split open the one's who are in the same wavelegth as you seem to be
There is no need to be so dramatic about it. Seriously. Calm down.

There are times when one needs to be dramatic and emotional. This isn't one of them.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 4th December 2008 at 15:43.
Old 4th December 2008, 15:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

I thought we were a democracy. Anybody could express their views right or wrong. Havent we had ample evidence of this since since 1947. If you dont like what you heard, you can scream your guts out too.
See, everybodys screaming today, protest march, peace drive, peace gathering, show of solidarity, etc etc.
Earlier the politicians were doing it and now its the public. Only sides have changed.
Who is going to cleanup the rot.??
If you think its the govt, you must be joking!

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 4th December 2008 at 15:55.
Old 4th December 2008, 15:55   #21
BHPian

Not sure if this applies to the drive being organized, but: NDTV.com: No rallies in Mumbai till Dec 19: Police

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 4th December 2008, 16:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Section 144 has been applied in Mumbai -which means more than 4 people cannot be at the same place at one time.
Old 4th December 2008, 16:18   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Section 144 has been applied in Mumbai -which means more than 4 people cannot be at the same place at one time.
What do you mean? One cannot book a table for 6 at a restaurant?
Old 4th December 2008, 16:19   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Duh?? whats the reason? You cannot arbitarily apply that section.

Is it becasue of the peace marches?
Old 4th December 2008, 16:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thats what I saw on TV - flashing on a ticker.

Maybe it applies to coming togather in an open space, could be because of the peace marches et all.

Some one enlighten me as well

Last edited by normally_crazy : 4th December 2008 at 16:24.
Old 4th December 2008, 16:47   #26
BHPian

I guess it was because of the Dec 6th. With Ambedkar Jayanti and the Babri demolition anniversary coming up, they just want to be sure that there are no flareups because of any rallies that political parties may want to organize to gain mileage.

@Sam - I sincerely agree with your views about tangible actions rather than a drive. At least it would make sure that the 'feel good' is to the family who have suffered rather than to self!

@absynthguzzler - Do you even know the traffic situation in Mumbai (I am assuming that you don't). Do you really feel that people would notice a group of vehicles passing by? That's what happens on roads everyday here! And if you knew Sam even remotely through the forums you would have never in your dreams doubted his intentions to begin with. As he said, almost everyone who would join the drive would know him and would respect him more than an average Joe.
Old 4th December 2008, 16:58   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Speaking about traffic situations: i live on the same road as the governor, chief minister and the government guest house - sahyadri. I took me 40mins to cross a stretch that normally takes 5min. All because of news OB vans, police vans and party workers cars being parked everywhere. The irony of the whole situation is that we can't park on all spots on the road on other days because its a high security area but on days like this, its a free for all! Many times in previous years, out of sheer desperation of not finding parking, i've removed political party flags from sumos, plonked it on my safari and parked it on the road in peace without being worried of it being towed away.
Old 4th December 2008, 17:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikibusa View Post
YOUTH AGAINST TERRORISM DRIVE .
So terrorists will see this and stop terrorism ?
Old 4th December 2008, 17:12   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Sections of Indian Penal Code relating to Unlawful assembly

I think section 144 is misquoted here or by the news media. It should be 141. The following are the sections according to the indian penal code for unlawful assembly:

Quote:
Section 141. Unlawful assembly
An assembly of five or more persons is designated an "unlawful assembly", if the common object of the persons composing that assembly is-

First-To overawe by criminal force, or show of criminal force, 1[the Central or any State Government of Parliament or the Legislature of any State], or any public servant in the exercise of the lawful power of such public servant; or

Second-To resist the execution of any law, or of any legal process; or

Third-To commit any mischief or criminal trespass, or other offence; or

Fourth-By means of criminal force, or show of criminal force, to any person, to take or obtain possession of any property, or to deprive any person of the enjoyment of a right of way, or of the use of water or other incorporeal right of which he is in possession or enjoyment, or to enforce any right or supposed right; or

Fifth-By means of criminal force, or show of criminal force, to compel any person to do what he is not legally bound to do, or to omit to do what he is legally entitled to do.

Explanation-An assembly which was not unlawful when it assembled, may subsequently become an unlawful assembly.

Section 142. Being member of unlawful assembly
Whoever, being aware of facts which render any assembly an unlawful assembly, intentionally joins that assembly, or continues in it is said to be a member of an unlawful assembly.

Section 143. Punishment
Whoever is a member of an unlawful assembly, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to six month, or with fine, or with both.

Section 144. Joining unlawful assembly armed with deadly weapon
Whoever, being armed with any deadly weapon, or with anything which, used as a weapon of offence, is likely to cause death, is a member of an unlawful assembly, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both.

Section 145. Joining or continuing in unlawful assembly, knowing it has been commanded to disperse
Whoever joins or continues in an unlawful assembly, knowing that such unlawful assembly has been commanded in the manner prescribed by law to disperse, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both.
EDIT: Source: Latest News on Supreme Court of India

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 4th December 2008 at 17:15.
Old 4th December 2008, 17:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

@Sam - Dont know about others but i adhere with what you said. Supposingly if each one of us even contribute 100 bucks(people willing can contribute more) from our pocket that will be great help to the families of the people who have died as there will be lots of people(like the waiters) who are not well off and their families will now have no bread earner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks