Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2012, 13:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Any BHPians in Germany?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post

Case 1: First 6 months from the date of arrival - you will be allowed to drive with your Indian DL + a valid IDP.
Hi Mister M, I heard IDP is not a valid document in Germany and is not required, read this somewhere in T-BHP. Could you please confirm if IDP is required? Thanks.

Spike
Old 27th June 2012, 13:48   #32
BHPian

Hello Spike Arrestor,

IDP alone is not a valid document, it is ALWAYS valid along with the Indian DL.

I have seen a couple of cases at Sixt (my usual car renting company) where they refused to give a car without IDP (both cases, the driver had their valid Indian DL in hand ).

I also have a lot of colleagues who actually dont have any IDP but are able to regularly rent cars from AVIS / Europacars only with their Indian DL. (Infact I myself did not have an IDP before getting my German DL, and the same Sixt was giving me cars in the past.)

So for the first 6 months, it is a safest option to have both IDP + DL. (In such cases, the Car Renting companies / the Polizei can't legally reject your car driving at Germany)

In your case, since you have quoted earlier that your stay would be for a few years, I would recommend you to apply for the German DL as soon as you arrive here. If you are really focused, you can crack this within 3 months.

& A Point that I missed to mention here: When they give your German DL, they will ask you to surrender your Indian DL. When you leave back to India, you are expected to EXCHANGE it again.
There is a trick / work around to handle this situation (Not 100% guaranteed, though it worked for me). Let me know when you arrive at this phase, we can analyze your possibilities here.
Old 20th August 2012, 15:56   #33

Quote:
The total process may take somewhere around 1100€ to 1200€ if you clear Written & Practical tests in your first attempt.
Thanks for detailing the process so well! About the cost of 1200euro, is this inclusive of the theory classes as well?

Its been three months for me in Germany, and i will be converting my indian DL so want to know if the cost will still be 1200euro for me or less.

Also i do not have an IDP, and have been able to rent a car from sixt. Which countries apart from germany can i drive in without a IDP?
Old 21st August 2012, 12:44   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamfall View Post
Thanks for detailing the process so well! About the cost of 1200euro, is this inclusive of the theory classes as well?

Its been three months for me in Germany, and i will be converting my indian DL so want to know if the cost will still be 1200euro for me or less.

Also i do not have an IDP, and have been able to rent a car from sixt. Which countries apart from germany can i drive in without a IDP?
Hello Dreamfall, this cost includes the theory classes (which is mandatory for new License takers & optional for conversions like our cases) at most of the Fahrschule (Driving Schools). But please remember, these classes will mostly happen in German language. Personally, I didnot opt for theory classes, I made very thorough self preparations though.

If you are fully confident, you can reduce the number of practical classes before taking up the TÜV test and reduce the overall cost. The estimate ~1200€ includes all registration fees (Rathaus, Fahrschule, TÜV, ..) + Firstaid & eye-tests + Indian DL Translation through ADAC (registered automobile club in Germany) + All Theory preparation materials in English + ~ 12 Practical Driving classes (city, Country-Side roads, Autobahns, parking practice, ...) + TÜV fees for taking both theory & practical tests + final collection of your German DL. <<Provided you cover all these steps in your first attempt; More the attempts you make, more you spend >>

I have seen a dozen of my friends hiring Sixt cars with no IDP, still covering most of the Schengen countries in Europe including Swiss. Ironically I have personally seen, a couple of times, rental contract was rejected by Sixt counter for not possessing IDP. Unless you make a blunder on roads while driving, I have never heard about DL verifications!

Recently a friend of mine just translated his Indian DL without IDP through ADAC. He was told that this setup will work for 1 year from 1st arrival date. He has rented out from the same Sixt station where they accepted this Translation! Costs ~ 50€.

Good Luck mate, happy driving around in Europe!!

Last edited by Mister_M : 21st August 2012 at 12:45.
Old 21st August 2012, 12:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You do not need an IDP but you would need your Indian licence in Original. Converting Indian Licence to a European one or a translation? There is no need for any translation, if the licence is in english. If you want to take up a German licence, my suggestion, do it if and only if your stay is more than one year, otherwise, investing around 2000euros is not adviced.

Quote:
Hello Dreamfall, this cost includes the theory classes (which is mandatory for new License takers & optional for conversions like our cases) at most of the Fahrschule (Driving Schools). But please remember, these classes will mostly happen in German language. Personally, I didnot opt for theory classes.

If you are fully confident, you can reduce the number of practical classes before taking up the TÜV test and reduce the overall cost. The estimate ~1200€ includes all registration fees (Rathaus, Fahrschule, TÜV, ..) + Firstaid & eye-tests + Indian DL Translation through ADAC (registered automobile club in Germany) + All Theory preparation materials in English + ~ 12 Practical Driving classes (city, Country-Side roads, Autobahns, parking practice, ...) + TÜV fees for taking both theory & practical tests + final collection of your German DL. <<Provided you cover all these steps in your first attempt; More the attempts you make, more you spend >>

Recently a friend of mine just translated his Indian DL without IDP through ADAC. He was told that this setup will work for 1 year from 1st arrival date. He has rented out from the same Sixt station where they accepted this Translation! Costs ~ 50€.
Mate, things have changed in the recent days. According to the Bundesamt Strassenordnung(Transport ministry) licences from certain countries are directly accepted and many countries need full retake. India falls in the second category. If we need to convert our Indian licence to a German one, we have to retake everything(theory, practicals, first aid, medicals). But, yes, self-learning the theory part is possible.

Reducing the number of practical classes is not within our hands. The driving instructor will decide upon that!

Exams can be taken either in English/German.

As you rightly pointed out, one can drive even without any licence, as long as you don't make any blunder or cause accident or even make some punishable(fine) offence. But not advised!

Be advised: If you are driving in main cities, Police might flash you to stop for regular checks. Just do not panic. Check mirrors, indicate and pull over as soon as possible(safely!). Wait inside the car, the officer will come to you. Be calm and polite. All police personel are very friendly in Germany and behave really well. Mostly all of them speak or understand English, so language should not be a problem for you. (Police officials of the opposite gender will be really beautiful, one can even get arrested, if they are going to arrest! :P ). Carry your originals with you always. Such checks are very very very rare.
Hope it helps! Regards.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 21st August 2012 at 13:05. Reason: grammer!
Old 21st August 2012, 13:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
If we need to convert our Indian licence to a German one, we have to retake everything(theory, practicals, first aid, medicals). But, yes, self-learning the theory part is possible.
Reducing the number of practical classes is not within our hands. The driving instructor will decide upon that!
Be advised: If you are driving in main cities, Police might flash you to stop for regular checks. Just do not panic. Check mirrors, indicate and pull over as soon as possible(safely!). Wait inside the car, the officer will come to you. Be calm and polite. All police personel are very friendly in Germany and behave really well.
I mean the same Alpha, full re-take is what I have done too (in 2010) & have detailed this procedure + costs involved in my earlier posts.

Reducing the number of practical classes is in most (almost all) cases decided by the Instructor. But I know a couple of cases where they convinced the Instructor that they are confident to take a test directly and no further classes required. Still, you are right - the Instructor decides this point as he is the one who books the Practicals test date.

Regarding the German Police, yes they are quite friendly and very professional. Staying inside the car & being calm/polite for any sort of random check is very true, they get annoyed if one gets down from the car without they asking you to do so. I only thought it could be some sort of security protocol, not sure though!
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:31   #37
Zed
BHPian

Quote:

I got my IDL converted to a German DL last year. The instructor decided that three practical lessons were sufficient and for my convenience he clubbed two classes back to back. Here's what I recall regarding the costs involved in the process.

1. Each lesson cost me around € 33. So an even €100 for practicals.
2. The Driving school fee + hiring charges for the 'mini-computer' (english version) that helps with the theory preparations was around € 350 (im sorry that I cant remember the exact amount). While its not mandatory to use the electronic device to prepare for the theory test - its worth the money IMHO as the mock test replicates the feel of the actual test.
3. Fee towards the actual theory and\or practical tests €150 or so.
4. First Aid course @ the red-cross centre €25
5. Some document that required translation ( I think it was my Indian DL) from ADAC € 30

All that added up to around €650. I need to inform you that this was my experience in a small-ish town in southern Germany. Im guessing costs will be higher in bigger cities. I was very satisfied with the service offered by the driving school.

However many folks here are of the opinion that costs and service levels can vary from one driving school to another and between different locations within Germany.

Hope this helps
Old 5th October 2012, 12:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I got my IDL converted to a German DL last year. The instructor decided that three practical lessons were sufficient and for my convenience he clubbed two classes back to back. Here's what I recall regarding the costs involved in the process.

However many folks here are of the opinion that costs and service levels can vary from one driving school to another and between different locations within Germany.

Hope this helps
Hey Zed,

thanks! Didn't see this info here. I had actually inquired at a nearby Driving school and learned that the Indian licence has to be surrendered to received the German DL and that Indian DL will become invalid after that. Can you confirm on this?
Regarding the fee, the quote that you have mentioned is almost same even in Munich!
Old 5th October 2012, 13:38   #39
Zed
BHPian

Hi AK,

Yes. The information regarding surrender of the Indian DL is correct. But when I made a special request to the responsible person at the Landratsamt (not the driving school) that I would prefer to have my Indian DL back in the event that I had to return to India he confirmed that ..
1. It would be possible for the landratsamt to hold on to the license for two years but not more.
2. If I were to go back to India in this time window I could have my Indian DL back provided I surrender my German DL.

So its possible, provided the officer at landratsamt is willing to offer you this option. But considering the fact that the expensive German DL is valid for life and getting a new DL when one is back in India shouldnt be a terribly difficult exercise - not using this options is probably the smart choice.

I have to add that our experience at the local landrasamt has been really positive not just related to the DL but a number of other transactions. We got the feeling that the staff did the best they could, even going out of their way at times, to meet our requirements. However not all landratsamts have this reputation.
Old 22nd November 2012, 03:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. A NOC (dont remember the German term for this) from your registered Rathaus - around 12€
Is this "Anmeldebestätigung" that you are referring to? Or something else? What is this NOC for ?

Spike
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I had actually inquired at a nearby Driving school and learned that the Indian licence has to be surrendered to received the German DL and that Indian DL will become invalid after that.
Hello AlphaKilo, This info regarding surrender of Indian DL is true (remember mentioning this in one of my earlier posts). Nevertheless, there is a slight way out (not a guarenteed approach though & hence I would not want to specify that in the Forum). If required, you can call me (I have PMed you my mob number) for that input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Hi AK,

Yes. The information regarding surrender of the Indian DL is correct. But when I made a special request to the responsible person at the Landratsamt (not the driving school) that I would prefer to have my Indian DL back in the event that I had to return to India he confirmed that ..
1. It would be possible for the landratsamt to hold on to the license for two years but not more.
2. If I were to go back to India in this time window I could have my Indian DL back provided I surrender my German DL.

So its possible, provided the officer at landratsamt is willing to offer you this option. But considering the fact that the expensive German DL is valid for life and getting a new DL when one is back in India shouldnt be a terribly difficult exercise - not using this options is probably the smart choice.
Hello Zed, is this 2 years "Holding Period" true? My Landratsamt (in Stuttgart) told me that they can hold it for a max of 1 year only. May be - it differs from office to office??

Nevertheless, I would want you to consider the fact that Government documents in India are getting Digitalised (Adhaar, our Tax statements, RC books, etc...) and duplicate documents thatn have been released in the past are in the "correction phase" now.

Just as an example: Recently, my 2nd gas connection on my name was "Freezed" as there was another connection on my dad's name in the same address.

So - getting a completely new (2nd) Indian DL is not a good idea in my opinion. Nevertheless, when I was in the same situation 2 years back, I was considering an option if I could get a "Duplicate" or a 2nd copy of my existing Indian DL (if it were possible). Might require some contacts at your RTO, but this would be a safer option on a longer run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Is this "Anmeldebestätigung" that you are referring to? Or something else? What is this NOC for ?

Spike
Hello Spike, the "NOC" that I meant is the Bescheinigung (which is a document that specifies you are registered with the Rathaus, your DOB, your previous Registration / Entry details at Germany (including the ones from the other Rathaus / states too). I am attaching the break-up of the 15.1 Euro paid for this at the Rathaus (as in my bill). This was one of the requirements from the Landratsamt in my case and hence submitted it.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Cheers!!
M
Attached Thumbnails
Germany Meet Thread-noc.jpg  

Old 22nd November 2012, 12:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If required, you can call me (I have PMed you my mob number) for that input.

So - getting a completely new (2nd) Indian DL is not a good idea in my opinion. Nevertheless, when I was in the same situation 2 years back, I was considering an option if I could get a "Duplicate" or a 2nd copy of my existing Indian DL (if it were possible). Might require some contacts at your RTO, but this would be a safer option on a longer run.
Quote:

Spike
@M,
Thanks for the PM.

You are absolutely right about the computerised Indian DL. I think it would not be a problem back home but if the German authorities find out that you have another licence, be ready to get the German one disqualified. Mainly, because, if you do not ask for the holding period, they will apply to Indian Transport dept. to cancel your licence. So, getting a duplicate with the same DL No. might land up in some diplomatic issues! But well, what about getting a whole new licence? I don't think with all these social security cards, even that would be soon impossible to do, even with "contacts".

OT: Do you too have a good looking secretary? If so I would like to play the OO7 role

@Pratheesh,
No and yes. The Anmeldebestätitung is for your address registration (free of cost) and while doing this, you can even register your car and get your licence plates, also your DL address change or registration (for this you will be charged). That's what is shown by M. Basically, its done at the same office.
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:57   #43
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Zed, is this 2 years "Holding Period" true? My Landratsamt (in Stuttgart) told me that they can hold it for a max of 1 year only. May be - it differs from office to office??

Nevertheless, I would want you to consider the fact that Government documents in India are getting Digitalised (Adhaar, our Tax statements, RC books, etc...) and duplicate documents that have been released in the past are in the "correction phase" now.
M
I guess it depends on the office \ officer in question. I made my request stating that I may return to India in about 12-18 months. Good to know that the digitization wave has started. I guess I will have to file for a new license if and when im back in India.

I just got back from a short trip to Kerala (Kochi, Palakkad) and Chennai. Im amazed at how the traffic situation seems to be progressively deteriorating with every passing year. The increasing power \ speed of vehicles across segments and the deterioration of IQ's (or so it seems) of vehicle users across segments gives me the impression that I may not want to or even be qualified to drive in India. Hopefully the metros and the high speed trains will save the day. Or is this just another pipe dream?

I have to add that some of the one-ways in Chennai seem to help in improving traffic flow. These ought to be retained even after the Metro work is completed.
Old 22nd November 2012, 22:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hello Spike, the "NOC" that I meant is the Bescheinigung (which is a document that specifies you are registered with the Rathaus, your DOB, your previous Registration / Entry details at Germany (including the ones from the other Rathaus / states too). I am attaching the break-up of the 15.1 Euro paid for this at the Rathaus (as in my bill). This was one of the requirements from the Landratsamt in my case and hence submitted it.

Hope this helps.
That was indeed helpful, thanks ! BTW, were you asked to go to the Straßenverkehrsamt during the application process?

Quote:
@Pratheesh,
No and yes. The Anmeldebestätitung is for your address registration (free of cost) and while doing this, you can even register your car and get your licence plates, also your DL address change or registration (for this you will be charged). That's what is shown by M. Basically, its done at the same office.
Ok, why I asked is because - I inquired at a local "Fahrschule" and the guy told me that I will need to go to the "Straßenverkehrsamt"; they will check my Indian license and advice how much theory and practical classes I need to attend, then I will need to go to the Fahrschule with this note and register there. Then starts the driving school part. The Straßenverkehrsamt also charges a fees for the same I am told. After listening to this, I felt something is fishy (said "Auf Wiedersehen ") and then quietly walked out.

This guy gives me a quote of ~ 1100 Euros, I know someone here who has done all this for ~850, so I will find out more before proceeding on this. There is a quote with me from the Fahrschule, which I will scan and upload sometime later.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 22nd November 2012 at 22:28.
Old 22nd November 2012, 23:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This guy gives me a quote of ~ 1100 Euros, I know someone here who has done all this for ~850, so I will find out more before proceeding on this. There is a quote with me from the Fahrschule, which I will scan and upload sometime later.
Spike
The guy is more or less right! but the amount quoted seems on the higher side. We spoke about this in person too!

anyways for everyone's help:
Official information on DL's:
http://www.india.diplo.de/contentblo...ng_Licence.pdf

http://www.uni-goettingen.de/de/136232.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks