Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2011, 20:57   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Hi All,

I have bought a Xylo E6 in Feb 2009.

Mileage - Mahindra claimed mileage to be 12 km/l in City and 15 km/l in long. Was getting 8 km/l at the start. After the first few services it moved to 8.5 and finally settled on 9.5 in City (Bangalore). Complained about the mileage from the start to the Authorised Service Station but still no fix.

EGR Valve changed at 25000 kms. Also complained about excessive noise at certain RPMs. The change in EGR valve didnt help.

Had difficulty changing from 2nd to 3rd gear initially. Mahindra replaced the 2nd to 3rd gear synchronizer in warranty.

Brakes have been making sounds since the start on application.

Had some howling noises from the car mid of last year. Gave the car to Mahindra atleast around 15 times to fix that issue. And i noticed it comes back now.

Ever since Dec 2010 i have been having a very awkward issue. After driving about 200+ kms i start loosing power and the car gets to a stage where it struggles to move even slight ups. Stop the car for sometime and its fine for some more time. Gave the car to Mahindra and they said the car is fine. Had the same issue next time i went for a long drive. Only this time worse. Struggled up the Ghatts coming from Kerala to Bangalore. Gave the car back to Mahindra, they said air filter, fuel filter blocked and also said fuel was adulterated disposed all the fuel and gave me the car saying it is fine. And charged me for all components even though fuel and air filter was changed in Nov 2010. Had the same issue again while going to ooty. Gave the car to Mahindra on March 10 2011, still not received it. They initially said that the car is fine. I told them to drive the car to Ooty and they reproduced the issue. They tried changing so many components (EGR Valve, clutch, Engine Wiring Harness) and they are clueless on what is causing the issues. They are now in the process of replacing the engine...

Is anybody else facing issues like this in their car or am i the only lucky one??

Cinny
cinnypt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 09:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Power loss which I have suffered in my Scorpio was due to choked up air filters, old fuel filters and leaks in the turbo system. I doubt if the contaminated diesel could have made so much of difference. I have been driving around the country refuelling all kinds of diesel and yet never faced a problem of power loss due to bad quality of fuel.

I think you must escalate this matter to highest quarters in M&M and force them to replace the engine - they have obviously failed to make a correct diagnosis of the problem since random changes of EGR, etc have not really solved the problem yet. Be very careful that you do not do anything that can void your warranty, and keep all your complaint job cards/bills handy. I would suspect the turbo system which could be to blame. If indeed there had some fuel quality problem, there is no reason for the car to have power loss only after completing 200 kms or so - problems should be there right from the beginning.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 09:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnypt View Post
Hi All,

Had some howling noises from the car mid of last year. Gave the car to Mahindra atleast around 15 times to fix that issue. And i noticed it comes back now.
Looks like a problem with the turbo. When it was difficult to climb up the ghats, did you still hear this howling noise?

A month and you still have not got your car back. As HVK mentioned, write to the higher ups before they start experimenting on it.
Old 25th April 2011, 09:41   #4
BHPian

Kumar,

The air filters, fuel filters were all replaced in Jan. The car was better after that. But it was fine only if i stayed in Bangalore. The moment i drive for more than 200+ kms the problem re-occured. This time they couldnt blame the Fuel, Air filter or Fuel filter, they had to accept that the fault was on their side. Mahindra has currently driven my car for atleast 4k-5k kms just for trying out and replacing different components of my car and for each trial they have to drive till Ooty to reproduce the problem. The biggest people in Customer Care M&M are already involved since the car has been with them since March 10. They have agreed to replace the engine now.

I have been given a loaner car for the past one month. This is the second backup car mahindra has given me. The first one was very good. The car felt like a completely different car from mine. Very powerful. Engine sounds lot lower. But the current car they have given me seems to have all the issues that i have had in my car. One similarity i have seen is that both cars have been bought the same week (First week of Feb 2009 - Hence the first lot of Xylos). The other backup car was bought on mid 2009. Hence now i am wondering if the first batch of cars have a problem. Does anybody have a Xylo bought in the first week of Feb 2009?

From What Mahindra tells me is that the most senior technical people from Mahindra is involved with the Analysis of the car. And what they say is that it could be a metallurgy problem and hence the awkward behaviour. If anyone wants more details let me know?

Anyone else having the same issue??
Old 25th April 2011, 09:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnypt View Post
Kumar,
Hence now i am wondering if the first batch of cars have a problem. Does anybody have a Xylo bought in the first week of Feb 2009?
?
Mine is a first batch car too. I have not experienced this problem, till now at least. Clocked 40K kms.

Do update. Thanks.

edit- By any chance, do you have any videos of this howling noise.

Last edited by beejay : 25th April 2011 at 09:50.
Old 25th April 2011, 09:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Looks like a problem with the turbo. When it was difficult to climb up the ghats, did you still hear this howling noise?

A month and you still have not got your car back. As HVK mentioned, write to the higher ups before they start experimenting on it.
Beejay,

The howling sounds were sounds coming from the suspension at certain speeds and only at certain gradients. The fix for this they say was replacing the Tie rods and lower arm and some bushes in the suspension. That issue was fixed after giving it to Mahindra around 15 times last year itself. But the last time i drove to Ooty, i noticed that it seems to have come back when i was coming down the ghats.

About the Engine issues, Higher ups from Mahindra are all involved. I am constantly in touch with head of Customer Care India, Sanjoy Gupta And a K Ravi who is the South Zone Head and a Suresh Kumar who is the Head of Customer Care Karnataka and a Mr Satish Kumar, Customer Care, Bangalore. They have all made it very clear that the technical team called the techliner from Hyderabad and the Tech hub from Mumbai are on the job.

One and half months over since i have given the car to Mahindra. Still waiting for the new engine to reach Bangalore. Still have no idea whether a new engine will fix the problem

Cinny

Last edited by Stratos : 25th April 2011 at 10:17.
cinnypt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 12:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Since the entire M&M team is involved and as you have already been offered a replacement engine, there doesn't seem to be much more that people from here can suggest. But what amazed me was that it took them so much time to decide on engine replacement.In my vehicle's case, it was done within one month (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...new-heart.html). Hope all your problems are solved hereafter.

And just for academic interest, was the fuel line along with fuel pump checked thoroughly. I somehow feel the problem was being caused by fuel starvation which could be either because of air coming into fuel line or not enough fuel being pumped in to create sufficient power.

Cheers
Old 25th April 2011, 13:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

And just for academic interest, was the fuel line along with fuel pump checked thoroughly. I somehow feel the problem was being caused by fuel starvation which could be either because of air coming into fuel line or not enough fuel being pumped in to create sufficient power.

Cheers
I had a similar problem in my Scorpio - old fuel feed pipe not able to pump in adequate fuel, causing power loss when the engine was revved fully. However, in cinnypt's case, he is having a funny issue with the problem happening after he has run some distance (200 kms+) - if fuel lines are choked, it would restrict supply at all times and duration of run may not matter significantly.
Old 25th April 2011, 14:52   #9
BHPian

Its good to know that M&M is arranging for a new engine and lets hope, this will be end of all your miseries.

But even if its a metallurgy related problem, I wonder how can there be so many issues with the vehicle: turbo/brakes/gear synchros/suspension?
I've always considered M&M to be much more responsible and trust worthy (when it comes to service/reliability) than its competitors, but then this post of yours makes me think otherwise. I hope the dealer did not pass on a lemon/TD/accidental vehicle to you.
From which dealer was it purchased and who is attending to it now?

Last edited by jeeva : 25th April 2011 at 14:58.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 16:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear your tryst with Xylo. M&M needs to trouble shoot these at the earliest and not keep the car for months to go.

I know K.Ravi and he is very responsible person, trust he gets your ride back to you at the earliest.
Old 25th April 2011, 16:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I had a similar problem in my Scorpio - old fuel feed pipe not able to pump in adequate fuel, causing power loss when the engine was revved fully. However, in cinnypt's case, he is having a funny issue with the problem happening after he has run some distance (200 kms+) - if fuel lines are choked, it would restrict supply at all times and duration of run may not matter significantly.
To me it looks like that the pump is developing a fatigue after running X hours leading to pumping less fuel.

Now what can cause fatigue in a pump which fixes itself after cooling down is very mysterious. May be there is a rubber seal or o-ring which is expanding after prolonged one shot use resulting in pressure loss. Once the engine is cool, pressure loss is eradicated.

I'm just scoping here and would be interested in knowing the actual reason for this problem.

Cheers
Old 25th April 2011, 17:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To me it looks like that the pump is developing a fatigue after running X hours leading to pumping less fuel.

Now what can cause fatigue in a pump which fixes itself after cooling down is very mysterious. May be there is a rubber seal or o-ring which is expanding after prolonged one shot use resulting in pressure loss. Once the engine is cool, pressure loss is eradicated.

I'm just scoping here and would be interested in knowing the actual reason for this problem.

Cheers
I have been having a leaking O Ring in my Scorpio's fuel pump for almost 2 years now and have not faced any significant drop in pressure or power. In any case, am sure that in cinnypt's case, the fuel pump will be covered under warranty.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:35   #13
BHPian

Please check the fuel tank breather. if it is blocked, this is what the vehicle behaviour is. to confirm, just open the fuel tank cap and drive it up hill.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:53   #14
BHPian

Hi
I own a xylo and had taken deliver of the vehicle in 2010 jan. I had the problem with the EGR valve within the first 2000km and was changed immediately. But for that i have not had any major issue with the vehicle. While the valve was being changed the service engineer confirmed that most of the initial set of vehicles had the problem and most of them had their valves changed during their first service. Except for the first batch of the vehicle none of the other batches had any trouble. He blamed it on the 3rd party goof up. When i pointed out that my vehicle had the trouble though it was not from the first batch, i was informed that few other vehicles shared the same component and are being replaced during the first service or if a problem arises earlier.
Regarding mileage i have not seen single digits till now. Even in dense traffic with full air conditioner i have not seen single digits. Now that mahindra has accepted and replacing the vehicles engine i guess your problem will be solved. Will hope to see your problem sorted out. Cheers
Old 26th April 2011, 21:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Since the entire M&M team is involved and as you have already been offered a replacement engine, there doesn't seem to be much more that people from here can suggest. But what amazed me was that it took them so much time to decide on engine replacement.In my vehicle's case, it was done within one month (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...new-heart.html). Hope all your problems are solved hereafter.

Cheers
MileCruncher, that is some experience you have had with your car. Its been a nightmare with mine for so long.

I know the fuel line was checked and they say the fuel pump was checked.
But dont think it was done well. They basically really on the tonnes of sensors present in the car. Mahindra was so confident that the sensors would give them a clear picture. But it took around 4000 kms of test drive for them to get the first error code on their smarttool, which when connected to the car reads all the output from sensors and indicates errors. The error code showed there was some issue in the inlet manifold at that point of time when the engine starts acting funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Its good to know that M&M is arranging for a new engine and lets hope, this will be end of all your miseries.

But even if its a metallurgy related problem, I wonder how can there be so many issues with the vehicle: turbo/brakes/gear synchros/suspension?
I've always considered M&M to be much more responsible and trust worthy (when it comes to service/reliability) than its competitors, but then this post of yours makes me think otherwise. I hope the dealer did not pass on a lemon/TD/accidental vehicle to you.
From which dealer was it purchased and who is attending to it now?
jeeva, yeah thought the same too that Mahindra would have been more responsible and cheaper. But their service costs are sky high too.

For more than a week Mahindra told me that there was no test drive vehicle, not one from any of the brands (Xylo, Scorpio, logan, Bolero). I made it very clear that i wouldnt fit in any of the car other than a Xylo and logan as i am tall (6'3"). They took more than a week to give me a loaner vehicle. This car was completely different from my car, very smooth, very good mileage, engine lot quiter than my car, and it was driven for the same kms as my car (51k kms). This car was bought mid 2009 time frames. A week later i realised that the car they gave me was a demo car and they want it back. Then they took it and gave me another car, this time it was a mint green Xylo. This car was in bad condition. Had the same issues as my car. Checked the RC and found out that it was bought in the same week as my car. Exact same issues. Engine loud, Suspension issues, Bad mileage, brake noises. Been using this car ever since, In the last one month this car has been at the service station for atleast 4 days, because it has so many issues and i had to do 2 long drives in the last month.

Bought the car from Sireesh Auto Hebbal, Serviced it at Sireesh Auto Hosur road for around 25000 kms, and the remaining 25000 kms serviced it at SKS Automobiles Bannerghattha road. The car is currently at SKS Bannerghettha road. I have not seen it since March 10th. Really upset.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 27th April 2011 at 13:28.

Most Viewed