Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2017, 18:53   #1201
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
Of late, I have been facing an issue with the fuel flap on my Polo. The flap doesn't lock even if I have centrally locked the car with keys (even after locking the car, pressing on the fuel flap opens it). Saw some European forums where they have reported the same issue and in most cases, it looks to be a solenoid failure. Anyone here on TBHP faced the same issue?
I have the same issue. Today morning only I cleaned the rotating plunger that locks the fuel lid. Seems like the spring is sticking inside. It has a black rubber sleeve as protector otherwise using WD40 would have worked. Let me see how to make it free. Will try prying out the sleeve.
Old 7th February 2017, 19:19   #1202
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not very good at regular oil-level checks, because modern cars really do not use much of the stuff between services. I do all the vital-fluids checks before a longer-than-usual trip, or if opening the bonnet for something else.

Yesterday, I glad that I had to fill the screen-wash bottle --- because I found that the oil level was right at the fill-one-litre-immediately level. That's about seven months since service. Not sure how long since I last looked. I had topped up the oil about the same time last year, shortly after buying the car but not quite as much.

2014 GT TDI 1.6: should I be concerned at the oil consumption? It is, now I come to read it again, probably not that out of line with what the manual suggests. The car does 99.9% city driving.

Chennai GT-TDiers: Same as last time, I looked to fill up with Shell Helix Ultra. My nearest Shell station is over 10km away. We called Raghav at Ignite, which is near to us, and he said we could buy from them. They didn't have any 1-litre bottles, but would measure out a litre for me from the bigger can. Mrs Raghav did the honours!

Of course, it may be psychological, but the car feels a lot happier now. And I'll keep an eye on that level much more regularly.

Another note for Chennai VWers. We seem to have a new dealer/service station on OMR, which fills a big geographical hole. Have an on-going relationship with Sundaram, Woods Road, but the new place is a fraction of the distance away from home. Part of the Kun group.
Old 7th February 2017, 20:45   #1203
BHPian

Guys,

Its the first paid service of my GT tsi, and the ASS (VW Downtown Sewri. Mumbai)was trying to get me to sign up for a service package which gives me 2 services over 2 years and includes, interior cleaning and 10% discount on labor should i need it.

1. Apparently 2 year warranty only includes the parts and i will need to pay for labor and consumables. Is this true?

2. They are charging Rs.20,999 for the package. Is it worth it? I was told that a yearly service ends up being around Rs.15,000. Is this correct?

3. The rep told me that even in subsequent years one needs to bring the car in for an "inspection", which i assume is paid ( no idea what they charge for it) Any ideas?

My other query is about the extended warranty. The vw site says that if one buys it before 365 days from purchase date the cost is Rs.11606.

The ass rep sys its increased to 13,500 since Jan 2017. Anybody know about this price increase

And the 365 days is calculated from what date? Invoice date?

Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 02:09   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Guys,

Its the first paid service of my GT tsi, and the ASS (VW Downtown Sewri. Mumbai)was trying to get me to sign up for a service package which gives me 2 services over 2 years and includes, interior cleaning and 10% discount on labor should i need it.

Thanks
Each paid service definitely does not cost 15k. I have GT TSI too. Unless you're getting parts replaced, it shouldn't even cross 10k for your 2nd/3rd paid services.

Inspection is only mandated (it doesn't affect warranty) at 7500KMs. It is completely free of charge. If they find anything wrong with your vehicle, you might have to pay for those repairs/replacements if applicable. There is no need for any inspection post this (as per the manual) AFAIK.
FanaticOnWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 09:47   #1205
Team-BHP Support

Here's the 90K service invoice for my GT.

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-90k-service-bill.jpg

There was a creaking noise while turning the steering since the last 2k km and they greased the strut bearings. The noise is gone.

Overall a very pleasant experience. That's the last time my car will visit a service centre for the periodic servicing though.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 10:22   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Attachment 1605858

There was a creaking noise while turning the steering since the last 2k km and they greased the strut bearings. The noise is gone.

Overall a very pleasant experience. That's the last time my car will visit a service centre for the periodic servicing though.
The invoice says 1.2 CR Trendline ;-)
Old 8th February 2017, 10:42   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Attachment 1605858

Two things in the notes struck me

1) Steering rack- if they are saying it is faulty isn't it better to get it replaced while the car is still in extended warranty

2) Timing belt- Do you plan to do it from outside because my understanding is that the 1.6 TDI timing belt needs to be changed around the 90k mark

Also what happened to the sump cover, torn?

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 8th February 2017 at 10:52.
Old 8th February 2017, 10:50   #1208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Two things in the notes struck me

1) Steering rack- if they are saying it is faulty isn't it better to get it replaced which the car is still in extended warranty

2) Timing belt- Do you plan to do it from outside because my understanding is that the 1.6 TDI timing belt needs to be changed around the 90k mark

Also what happened to the sump cover, torn?
There're absolutely no issues with any of those Mohan. The steering rack works perfectly fine without any noise or unwanted tilts to any side, the sump had a scratch which happened during a trip to Yercaud which was documented in my ownership thread. Funny they didn't mention it during the 75K service! Timing belts IIRC have to be replaced at 120K km which I plan to do along with the renewal of all the hoses and tubings. I'll be doing it at the service center.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 15:30   #1209
BHPian

In my 1.5 TDI, I am noticing a slight tak-tak noise on turning the steering wheel to the right at crawling speeds.
Is this normal?
Old 9th February 2017, 15:29   #1210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Quick question regarding the warning lamps - the manual says that they should all come on at the first turn of the key and then go off after a short while. This is with the key in the intermediate stage. However, I see the following lamps (ignore the parking brake lamp) and they do not go off no matter how long I wait.

The warnings go off as soon as I start the engine. VW SA says this is normal, nothing to worry about. Is this the same for you guys? Mine is a Polo petrol 1.2 MPi.
The behaviour you report is the same in my TSi. So I assume your SA has given you the correct information. If the lights stay on even after cranking, then there's definitely something wrong!
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 16:07   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
In my 1.5 TDI, I am noticing a slight tak-tak noise on turning the steering wheel to the right at crawling speeds.
Is this normal?

If i hazard a guess it would be that the steering rake will need to be checked. Probably related to the bearings.
Old 9th February 2017, 16:51   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I have the same issue. Today morning only I cleaned the rotating plunger that locks the fuel lid. Seems like the spring is sticking inside. It has a black rubber sleeve as protector otherwise using WD40 would have worked. Let me see how to make it free. Will try prying out the sleeve.
Let me know if any simple DIY can resolve the issue, else have to wait I get the next service done in about 2 months' time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Another note for Chennai VWers. We seem to have a new dealer/service station on OMR, which fills a big geographical hole. Have an on-going relationship with Sundaram, Woods Road, but the new place is a fraction of the distance away from home. Part of the Kun group.
This is really good news, as OMR is closer to me too instead of going all the way till Sundaram VW in Whites Road. Can you tell the exact whereabouts of the KUN VW on OMR?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th February 2017 at 07:23. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
Old 9th February 2017, 23:23   #1213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
... ... ... Can you tell the exact whereabouts of the KUN VW on OMR?
My wife spotted it and told me it was there. The next time I drove down there, I failed to see it. This morning, we went to a wedding, and took a cab, and I did see it, but it has a narrow frontage, and no huge signs or anything, and is quite hard to spot.

Next time, I'll get better "bearings" but for now, I can only say it is on the left heading South, somewhere very approximately near Car Cares, and certainly before my turn off, which is after the left-hand petrol bunk near the foot bridge (Kandanchavadi).
Old 12th February 2017, 01:43   #1214

Last month when I was driving back from Cochin, all of a sudden, I was not able to engage 2nd gear. All other gears were working but the gear knob just wouldn't slide to 2nd. Also, when I use reverse gear, the gear gets engaged but the pushed-down knob pops back up.

Took it to Phoenix VW, Calicut and one gentleman SA named Mohammed Jami attended me. I also asked him to top-up the engine oil since it was low. The mechanics fixed the gear problem within 10 minutes. When asked, they told it was because of some gear-related components made using cheap plastic.

Jami brought my car outside the workshop and handed over the keys. Engine oil was topped up (around 1L). When I asked him what is the bill amount, he refused and walked away saying "It's okay". Very happy with the service gesture even though this was my first visit to VW Calicut. VW Mangalore where I have done my first 2 services always charges me around Rs. 900 for 1L oil top-up.
Old 13th February 2017, 15:32   #1215
BHPian

My 2010 1.2 TDI Highline Polo has done 80k kms now. At 50k kms its front suspension started making weird noises over bumps and pot holes. Took it to the service station and they replaced bushings and my car was back to normal. Now at 80k, the car seems to be making more noises over pot holes, but now it feels like some metallic click, really obvious. I know its probably time to replace the shocks, so I am wondering what are my options if I wish to go the aftermarket route?

Unlike many polos here, my polo regularly has to traverse forest trails, since I have a property whos entrance is a dirt trail meant for gypsies. The polo does the trail easily, however there are a few places where I have to literally creep in order to not scrape the belly. So I want to have at least 2 inches of lift for the car. [PS: This wont be a wannabe SUV, it is purely functional]

Most of the online community is devoted to lowering the car, I wanna go exactly the other way. I was thinking of just adding spacers to get a body lift but I am not sure about it.

What are my options here,if any?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks