Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 10:58   #1336
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Query for everyone using the 1.5-litre four cylinder diesel: how much engine oil does your car consume from service to service? Asking because a friend's diesel has consumed 1.4 litres of oil over 14,000km. Need to know whether that's a regular amount or not.
Old 31st July 2017, 11:32   #1337
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post
Query for everyone using the 1.5-litre four cylinder diesel: how much engine oil does your car consume from service to service? Asking because a friend's diesel has consumed 1.4 litres of oil over 14,000km. Need to know whether that's a regular amount or not.
Up to 1 liter every 7500 kilometers is absolutely normal.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 11:55   #1338
Senior - BHPian

It is surprising to see that the TDI consumes so much oil. Is it a norm that diesels will consume engine oil. Asking this because I have Pajero 2.8 that is nearing the 1 L mark and that has never exhibited any oil consumption...
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 12:50   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
It is surprising to see that the TDI consumes so much oil. Is it a norm that diesels will consume engine oil. Asking this because I have Pajero 2.8 that is nearing the 1 L mark and that has never exhibited any oil consumption...
Thank you for the quick reply, VKumar.

@Traveler - some engines consume oil, some don't. I've long since given up understanding it. I merely accept, like taxes, our government policies, and religion.

Last edited by isodope : 31st July 2017 at 12:51. Reason: Error in name
Old 31st July 2017, 16:05   #1340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is surprising to see that the TDI consumes so much oil....
It is surprising, and has nearly caught me out, finding that the level in my 1.6TDI had got dangerously low. It's been a while since I had to routinely top up oil in a car engine between services.
Old 31st July 2017, 16:30   #1341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post

As stated by other members, nothing to worry about. You will find that many manufacturers will consider anything up to 1 litre per 1000 km not a problem. Most modern cars use a lot less, some hardly any at all. But the point where you start worrying on deciding if and what to do is very far away.

Jeroen
Old 8th August 2017, 13:01   #1342
Senior - BHPian

I was considering buying a hand tool set for out Polo GT-TSI and want suggestions on what brand / type of Torx wrench etc is recommended by members. Could someone kindly list what all should be present in a good DIY-Tool set that would be sufficient for small tasks / repair work.

I have an Front Center Armrest arriving soon and would like to equip myself with the right tools beforehand.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:03   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was considering buying a hand tool set for out Polo GT-TSI and want suggestions on what brand / type of Torx wrench etc is recommended by members. Could someone kindly list what all should be present in a good DIY-Tool set that would be sufficient for small tasks / repair work.

I have an Front Center Armrest arriving soon and would like to equip myself with the right tools beforehand.
In the same boat here because I'll be installing a dashcam soon. I would also like to also do exterior work like taking the bumpers off, changing the lights etc. Please recommend a good cheap set of Torx screwdrivers and sockets for such work - online links are especially appreciated!
Old 10th August 2017, 21:48   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Please recommend a good cheap set of Torx screwdrivers and sockets for such work - online links are especially appreciated!
You would get all your answers(and MORE) at this thread

Today I was checking engine oil on my GT TSI as I will be on a 2 day weekend trip.Oil level is at an acceptable level but then I saw this:
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-co.jpg

This would be the 1st time I would be topping up the coolant and I was about to fill distilled water upto halfway mark but I thought I should call up my SA. He was like don't put distilled water just top it up with normal tap water!!
Would love to hear from fellow members as I see lot of debate on other forums too on using tap water and distilled water for coolant.
Old 10th August 2017, 22:40   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post

This would be the 1st time I would be topping up the coolant and I was about to fill distilled water upto halfway mark but I thought I should call up my SA. He was like don't put distilled water just top it up with normal tap water!!
Would love to hear from fellow members as I see lot of debate on other forums too on using tap water and distilled water for coolant.
Distilled water is recommended by VW, as per the service manuals. That should be the case for almost all car manufacturers. However, I would ensure the water is actually distilled, as opposed to some chemical added to regular water and labelled distilled water!

I would also ensure the coolant concentration is correct. VW workshops have refractometers for this.

Having said that, there may be some sort of leakage somewhere. In my car, the gasket in the coolant flange towards the right of the engine block was the cause of coolant leakage. I got that changed, and eventually got the coolant replaced too.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 09:46   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
I believe that it is a wrong thing to put the tap water.
You could also get the coolant filled in neighborhood Shell petrol pumps, they stock the coolant which is compatible with VW.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 19:46   #1347
BHPian

Thanks.
Good to know that we can get the compatible coolant at Shell, might come handy. For now topped it up with distilled water.
Old 14th September 2017, 10:43   #1348
Senior - BHPian

And the extortion continues for the second year service.

Second year scheduled service for a 5000 kms run Polo 1.2 petrol manual is estimated at 9,750/- plus tax

Am I glad I stuck to Ford.

Waiting for the final bill which will be

Last edited by tharian : 14th September 2017 at 10:44.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 08:07   #1349
BHPian

Brake judder

I am experiencing brake judder at the brake pedal on my 6 months old GT TSI, which has clocked 4,500 km. The car is used as a daily driver in the city. The brake judder is very pronounced on the highway's when braking from 80-100 km/hr. I haven't resorted to high speed braking for the discs to get warped. The issue was strongly taken up with the service centre during the 6 months checkup and the discs were replaced free of cost. However, I am not confident that the issue is resolved.

Is brake judder a common issue with the Polo's. Any inputs would be of great help.

Thanks,

Last edited by csr9 : 20th September 2017 at 08:08.
Old 20th September 2017, 08:22   #1350
BHPian

I had the same issue with my Polo GT TSI. Turns out the brake discs had warped. Got it changed under warranty. Had to do some convincing at the service station to get it covered under warranty as they initially claimed it was a result of wear and tear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks