Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2017, 16:19   #1216
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post

Unlike many polos here, my polo regularly has to traverse forest trails, since I have a property whos entrance is a dirt trail meant for gypsies. The polo does the trail easily, however there are a few places where I have to literally creep in order to not scrape the belly. So I want to have at least 2 inches of lift for the car. [PS: This wont be a wannabe SUV, it is purely functional]

What are my options here,if any?
Pl. check with the Cross Polo which has a higher ground clearance then a regular polo. You can replicate the same engineered specifications into your Polo without doing any significant research on aftermarket ways of lifting the car.

Last edited by KkVaidya : 13th February 2017 at 16:21.
Old 13th February 2017, 16:36   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
There're absolutely no issues with any of those Mohan. The steering rack works perfectly fine without any noise or unwanted tilts to any side, the sump had a scratch which happened during a trip to Yercaud which was documented in my ownership thread. Funny they didn't mention it during the 75K service! Timing belts IIRC have to be replaced at 120K km which I plan to do along with the renewal of all the hoses and tubings. I'll be doing it at the service center.
According to the information in VW's service schedule book for my car (1.6 TDI Vento), the timing belt has to be changed at 90,000 kilometers or 5 years, whatever is earlier.

The serpentine belt had developed cracks all along at the fifth service (84,000 kilometers) of my car. I was glad it did not break.
Old 13th February 2017, 16:37   #1218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Pl. check with the Cross Polo which has a higher ground clearance then a regular polo. You can replicate the same engineered specifications into your Polo without doing any significant research on aftermarket ways of lifting the car.
Unfortunately the cross polo has EXACTLY the same specs as a regular polo, both have 165mm of clearance.
Old 13th February 2017, 16:40   #1219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
According to the information in VW's service schedule book for my car (1.6 TDI Vento), the timing belt has to be changed at 90,000 kilometers or 5 years, whatever is earlier.

The serpentine belt had developed cracks all along at the fifth service (84,000 kilometers) of my car. I was glad it did not break.
Could you post an image of it here please. Based on an earlier version of the service manual, it was some 210k km for both the 1.2 and 1.6 TDI. If it is indeed at 90k km, I will get it replaced at the earliest. Better be safe than sorry!
Old 13th February 2017, 17:30   #1220
BHPian

Hi All,

I've recently got a call from Skoda ASS for my Fabia 1.2 tdi (2011); for a software update (after the emission scandal) as my car is part of the list for which the update is applicable.

Wanted to know if any of you VW Polo 1.2 tdi'ers have also gotten this done and has there been any significant difference since this?

Cheers,
Aayush.
Old 13th February 2017, 21:18   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Could you post an image of it here please. Based on an earlier version of the service manual, it was some 210k km for both the 1.2 and 1.6 TDI. If it is indeed at 90k km, I will get it replaced at the earliest. Better be safe than sorry!
I am including an image indicating the maintenence labour operations.

I went through the service schedule book, and I was mistaken as it does not have the change at 90,000 kms clearly indicated. However, I did find something about what they call severe running conditions. Fuel with high sulphur content, stop-and-go traffic, long idle times, etc. make up the severe running conditions.

This entails early replacement of a number of things, including the cam/timing belt.

Perhaps, this is the reason I see the service centers, I go to, always changing the timing, serpentine belts, and using what they call the engine repair kit, at the 90,000 km interval.

P.S. The condition of the serpentine belt in my car, at 84,000 kilometers/5 years, was similar to that of the belt shown in the image attached below, just not as severely cracked. (Image credit humblemechanic.com)
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-20121203145201.jpg  

Last edited by halfbytecode : 13th February 2017 at 21:30.
Old 14th February 2017, 09:53   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately the cross polo has EXACTLY the same specs as a regular polo, both have 165mm of clearance.
Ohh. I believe it was somewhere around 180mm. I then checked the specifications on VW India site and it is indeed same as regular Polo. Which makes the Cross Polo a no-point car as the differences are only visual.

However, on my recent visit at the VW showroom, i noticed the new Polo is a tad taller then the old Polo. There was this TATA-cars like gap between the wheel and the arches. But I am not able to find the GC of Polo when it was launched.
Old 14th February 2017, 09:56   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
Ohh. I believe it was somewhere around 180mm. I then checked the specifications on VW India site and it is indeed same as regular Polo. Which makes the Cross Polo a no-point car as the differences are only visual.

However, on my recent visit at the VW showroom, i noticed the new Polo is a tad taller then the old Polo. There was this TATA-cars like gap between the wheel and the arches. But I am not able to find the GC of Polo when it was launched.
My polo is a 2010 one, and has 165mm of clearance. However i suspect when it is loaded the clearance goes down to 100-120mm. As for the newer polo I believe it has same clearance, however older suspensions tend to sag a tiny bit so a brand new one might appear higher than used ones.
Old 14th February 2017, 10:25   #1224
BHPian

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
My polo is a 2010 one, and has 165mm of clearance. However i suspect when it is loaded the clearance goes down to 100-120mm. As for the newer polo I believe it has same clearance, however older suspensions tend to sag a tiny bit so a brand new one might appear higher than used ones.

Hi Ashwin,

Polo and Fabia diesels 2010 onwards were fitted with spacers in the front suspension to increase their ground clearance as part of an initiative by VW / Skoda india. Mine had these, and it raised the suspension by about 10-15mm. This was done in 2012 and I removed them about 2yrs back, didn't like the extra hap in the wheel wells at all. There was no difference in performance so overall it was fine and you could be assured of clearing speed breakers and the sorts easily.

You can check with the ASS and see if your car is eligible for this; or have them installed from an after market Center. You can get the pics from my thread here, dotlnt remember if I have the part no.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174480

Cheers,
Aayush

Last edited by aayushnair : 14th February 2017 at 10:27.
Old 15th February 2017, 12:22   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking of just adding spacers to get a body lift but I am not sure about it.

What are my options here,if any?
1. Switch to suspension from the 1.5 TDI (or even the Vento TDI). Is stiffer since it has to handle more weight, so won't bottom out/let the chassis sag as easily.
2. Don't know if the spacers exist - if they do, add those.
3. Taller tires. Instant lift, better ride quality

Haven't offered proper aftermarket options because the more you change your car, the worse it'll get in some areas. See if these suggestions work- if not, then let's think some more.

Last edited by isodope : 15th February 2017 at 12:25.
Old 15th February 2017, 13:49   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushnair View Post
Hi Ashwin,

Polo and Fabia diesels 2010 onwards were fitted with spacers in the front suspension to increase their ground clearance as part of an initiative by VW / Skoda india. Mine had these, and it raised the suspension by about 10-15mm.

Cheers,
Aayush
Thanks for the reply. Will definitely talk to the SVC. about these spacers. Its best if the SVC does this job themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post
1. Switch to suspension from the 1.5 TDI (or even the Vento TDI). Is stiffer since it has to handle more weight, so won't bottom out/let the chassis sag as easily.
2. Don't know if the spacers exist - if they do, add those.
3. Taller tires. Instant lift, better ride quality
Hey! Thats a great idea about using suspension from the 1.5. Spacers arent sold off the counter, will have to fabricate them. Ive got some experience in fabricating spacers so I think in a few tries I will get it.

And regarding the tyres. What tyres can I get? The closest tyre I can think of which will add to height is the 205/70r15 Geolandar AT-S. With taller suspension and the added wheel well clearance I think these tyres can fit the OE rims. I also personally think those tyres look badass but at the same time, they will probably effect on road manners by quite a lot I think. While I can compromise on speed and handling, since I usually just putter around under 80(max), I dont want this mod to affect the engine. I dream of doing ladakh on this car one day so all the mods need to be reliable.
Old 16th February 2017, 14:48   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
I re-checked the Owner's Manual yesterday and found the GC to be at 102mm under GVW.
And older suspensions would not sag so much that a new and old vehicle can be grossly differentiated! I am convinced that VW India has changed the GC when the new restyled vehicle was launched last year or prior to that.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20170215_204928.jpg  

Old 16th February 2017, 17:05   #1228

I have a VW Polo 1.2 (Highline) purchased in Jan 2016. Today, during my second service, i did complain of some rattling sound I hear while driving. After inspection, a told the the SVC advisor that the gear mount needs to be replaced (Rs. 1400 + labor). My car in under extended warranty. Shouldn't this be covered under extended warranty. My two year warranty ended this 2017 January end. Pls advise. Thank you.
Old 16th February 2017, 17:07   #1229

Is the gear mount for a polo 1.2 highline (2015 model) replaced under extended warranty of do i need to pay for it (1400 rs.). Please advise as during my second service, i was told that rattling sound (that i complained of) is mostly coming from the gear mount.
Old 16th February 2017, 17:18   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
I re-checked the Owner's Manual yesterday and found the GC to be at 102mm under GVW.
And older suspensions would not sag so much that a new and old vehicle can be grossly differentiated! I am convinced that VW India has changed the GC when the new restyled vehicle was launched last year or prior to that.
Interesting!

I will check up with the SVC tomorrow if the newer Polo's have a different suspension. I think they might have added spacers or changed the spring.

On another note, possibly borderline insane. I know Tiguan springs fit into the Polo, our beloved Yeti shares the same PQ35 platform as the Tiguan. Is it possible to use Yeti springs in the Polo?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks