Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2014, 22:46   #466
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramgoglani View Post
Hi avi@98. Were you able to ascertain the cause of the "rattling sound from the rear left end"? i have a 2012 POLO TDI and I am facing the exact same issue of rattling from rear left end. When I take my car to the service center in Gurgaon, they just dont seem to be able to replicate it. But it is very frustrating to her this rattle again and again.
Sorry I couldn't post after I got my polo serviced. Luckily all the issues were addressed. Getting the services of an experienced employee did the trick I guess.
In my case the rattling from the rear end was from the rear seat assembly, the part which bolts the seat to yhe chassis. Rattle was actually a squeaking sound and was absent wheb there weren't any rear passenger. He got the bolts all tightened up. Now the squeak is gone.
But in your case I guess something is wrong with the suspension. Get it checked asap!.
The service advisor also diagnosed worn out lower arms in the front suspension and replaced it. Now the sound from the front suspension is noticeably reduced.
ABS warning light was on because of a failed speed sensor in the rear left wheel which was replaced. The sensor which failed last time was that of rear right wheel .
Total bill amount 10872 for the above mentioned jobs.
Old 3rd January 2014, 16:54   #467

BHPians, I purchased a Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TDI in December 2012. Got the first service done after 15,000 KM at VW Deccan, Hyderabad. The following are the parts they replaced:

1. Oil Filter
2. Dust and Pollen Filter
3. Fuel Filter
4. Air Filter

My car is now due for 2nd service and I booked appointment on 8th January. I need advice on the following:

1. Will it be required to replace Fuel Filter again this time?
2. My vehicle's braking condition is good. How do I determine whether brake pads need to be replaced? I remember the service guy telling me last time that brake pads will be replaced during 2nd service.
3. Are there any other things which I need to ask the Service guy before I give my car for service?

Kindly advice!
Old 7th January 2014, 15:19   #468
BHPian

I have a service appointment for 1st service of my Polo C/L 1.2 Petrol for thursday 9th Jan with Volkswagen Motinagar Delhi.

I seek help from community regarding things to be taken care of with respect to first service (what all would be changed, what adjustments would be done, cost estimates etc, what all is to be avoided) .

Any feedback regarding this particular workshop would be highly appreciated.
Old 7th January 2014, 16:28   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvattipalli View Post
BHPians, I purchased a Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TDI in December 2012.
=======
3. Are there any other things which I need to ask the Service guy before I give my car for service?

Kindly advice!
I cant help you out on the 3rd question because I don't own a Polo, so im less wary about usual ownership niggles & problems. But I think I can help you on the first two questions.
Your answers :
1) Diesel engines require more frequent fuel filter changes than petrol, but in your case, I guess No. Usually a fuel filter shouldn't require such frequent changes.

2) So early? Im guessing your car has done around 25-30k kms by now. I guess Brake pads last for around 50k kms .Atleast mine's did. I don't know how frequently or how hard you use your brakes, but its still uncommon for brakes to go out so early.
If you hear a squealing noise when you brake, it usually indicates your brakes are at the end of their life.Usually cars have brake pad wear indicators, which is usually a thin strip of metal fitted on your brake pad's back plate. When you press the brakes with worn brake pad(reduced pad/brake lining thickness), this thin metal strip comes in contact with your rotating brake discs and makes a squealing noise.
Some cars have electronic Brake pad wear sensors.
sr_1445 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 01:11   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Will it be required to replace Fuel Filter again this time?
As in according to manual fuel filter should be replaced every 15,000 Kms or 7,500 Kms if sulfur content is higher. 15k sounds good for metro cities.

Quote:
2. My vehicle's braking condition is good. How do I determine whether brake pads need to be replaced? I remember the service guy telling me last time that brake pads will be replaced during 2nd service.
Click a snap of of your front disc brake, shall be able to advice whether you need to change it or not. Drums brake pads can only be checked by workshop.

Also most of bhpians had their cars brake changed at 20,000 kms. Do not get the disc changed, as it is recommended to be changed at 60,000 kms.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishraak View Post
I seek help from community regarding things to be taken care of with respect to first service (what all would be changed, what adjustments would be done, cost estimates etc, what all is to be avoided).
My experience suggest's following for servicing:

1. Get air filter, oil filter & pollen filter changed.
2. Fuel filter at every 15,000 kms.
3. Get alignment done from outside since VW charges a lot for it.
4. Do not get disc brake opened & cleaned, as they charge about Rs. 500+ and doesn't give any benefit.
5. Avoid car wash at their place. Rs. 500+, 3M does it for Rs 444 incl tax. Also I don't trust anyone with washing my car with pressure hose, be it 3M.
6. No wiper fluid top up. Rather get a 500 ml bottle for Rs 250 from them and last long.
7. Remove all items from cars and just leave car papers xerox i.e. RC, PUC and Insurance. Later you wouldn't want to blame VW for loss of a pen drive or shades.
8. Mention it to SA, anything you said not to be done, later if it is done, you won't pay for it. As you had already told them not to perform it.
9. Most important, engine oil capacity, eg. 1.6 TDi is 4.3 lt. They would charge you for 5 lt and they should return back 700 ml back in a bottle. Read through manual and see what is engine oil capacity of both 1.2 MPi & TDi. Since synthetic oil costs Rs. 970+ a lt.
10. If possible spend time at the workshop while your car is serviced. Always be pro-active.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 12:35   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
My experience suggest's following for servicing:

1. Get air filter, oil filter & pollen filter changed.
2. Fuel filter at every 15,000 kms.
3. Get alignment done from outside since VW charges a lot for it.
4. Do not get disc brake opened & cleaned, as they charge about Rs. 500+ and doesn't give any benefit.
5. Avoid car wash at their place. Rs. 500+, 3M does it for Rs 444 incl tax. Also I don't trust anyone with washing my car with pressure hose, be it 3M.
6. No wiper fluid top up. Rather get a 500 ml bottle for Rs 250 from them and last long.
7. Remove all items from cars and just leave car papers xerox i.e. RC, PUC and Insurance. Later you wouldn't want to blame VW for loss of a pen drive or shades.
8. Mention it to SA, anything you said not to be done, later if it is done, you won't pay for it. As you had already told them not to perform it.
9. Most important, engine oil capacity, eg. 1.6 TDi is 4.3 lt. They would charge you for 5 lt and they should return back 700 ml back in a bottle. Read through manual and see what is engine oil capacity of both 1.2 MPi & TDi. Since synthetic oil costs Rs. 970+ a lt.
10. If possible spend time at the workshop while your car is serviced. Always be pro-active.

Hi Bro,

Thanks a lot for these suggestions. I have just given my Polo TDI comfort line for service and got a shocker that the estimate was Rs 10800. Went into every detail possible. As per your suggestion have asked them not to do wheel alignment. One good thing is that for the cleaning they are charging only Rs 393. So am going ahead with it. I asked them about the engine oil and he said that they would return 500 Ml of the oil to. I find it very strange that an Oli company cannot design their Engine Oil as per Volkswagen engine capacity. ( They are charging 3760 + 970 for Engine Oil alone )

Having a strange experience with Polo Service in Pune. Shall share a detailed thread.
Old 15th January 2014, 13:18   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSOPS View Post

Hi Bro,

Thanks a lot for these suggestions. I have just given my Polo TDI comfort line for service and got a shocker that the estimate was Rs 10800. Went into every detail possible. As per your suggestion have asked them not to do wheel alignment. One good thing is that for the cleaning they are charging only Rs 393. So am going ahead with it. I asked them about the engine oil and he said that they would return 500 Ml of the oil to. I find it very strange that an Oli company cannot design their Engine Oil as per Volkswagen engine capacity. ( They are charging 3760 + 970 for Engine Oil alone )

Having a strange experience with Polo Service in Pune. Shall share a detailed thread.
Servicing a polo is a costly affair. Every service costs between 10 to 11g. Also the oil they are using is the Castrol Magnetic GTX. Doesnt cost much in the market but it is a high end affair as far as nornal servicing is concerned. There are two oil filters. One is in the engine bay called the mobiloil filter and the other near the tank called diesel filter. Have they changed both or just the mobiloil filter. What is the odo reading of you polo?

Last edited by rajamuneeb : 15th January 2014 at 13:24.
Old 19th January 2014, 18:31   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Servicing a polo is a costly affair. Every service costs between 10 to 11g. Also the oil they are using is the Castrol Magnetic GTX. Doesnt cost much in the market but it is a high end affair as far as nornal servicing is concerned. There are two oil filters. One is in the engine bay called the mobiloil filter and the other near the tank called diesel filter. Have they changed both or just the mobiloil filter. What is the odo reading of you polo?
Hi,

Had got the vehicle serviced.

as per the suggestion of el_lobo_6061had asked the dealership not to do wheel alignment. Also had asked them why they would need 5 liters when the capacity is 4.3liters- For which they had said that the extra engine oil would be returned.

Below is the cost and final bill I had got.

My Vehicle had finished 17000 Kms in 1 year ( I had done couple of trips to Shimoga / Puttaparthi and Hyderabad in the 1 year ). Feel if it is for users who do not use vehicle much and reach 15000 Kms after 2 Years the cost of Rs 9600 might not seem much.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-dsc_1482-copy.jpg  

Old 19th January 2014, 19:24   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSOPS View Post
Hi,

Had got the vehicle serviced.

as per the suggestion of el_lobo_6061had asked the dealership not to do wheel alignment. Also had asked them why they would need 5 liters when the capacity is 4.3liters- For which they had said that the extra engine oil would be returned.

Below is the cost and final bill I had got.

My Vehicle had finished 17000 Kms in 1 year ( I had done couple of trips to Shimoga / Puttaparthi and Hyderabad in the 1 year ). Feel if it is for users who do not use vehicle much and reach 15000 Kms after 2 Years the cost of Rs 9600 might not seem much.

At the very top I can see the bill mention -> Pick up and drop @ 200
But in the bill it says 440?
Old 19th January 2014, 22:21   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Highline 1.6 going for second annual service the day after tomorrow.

Taking it to the Chennai Whites Rd place, this time, instead of getting it picked up and delivered by Abra, their service place being very far from me.
Old 20th January 2014, 06:11   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
At the very top I can see the bill mention -> Pick up and drop @ 200
But in the bill it says 440?

Yaa I had originally taken only asked for a pickup from office but later had even asked them to drop it back as i could not get time. So the cost of 400. Infact this was the rate for BU Bhandari Motors in Pune.

I actuall y had bought my vehicle from Vidyut motors they were charging Rs 500 for the pickup and Drop facility. So dint go with them.
Old 24th January 2014, 12:20   #477
Senior - BHPian

I gave my Polo Petrol for 3rd service at 37k (under AMC, free of cost).

There was no additional work to be done.

The SA lifted the car and told me that some problem with the shock absorber. He will change the "Shock Absorber STOPPERS" (Rs.1600/- for pair) and then check if shock absorber(s) needs to be changed or not. Shock Absorbers are of two types depending on what do I have in my car. Either it is Rs.1800 or Rs.2400 each.

He gave an estimate of Rs.8000/- maximum if "Stoppers" and "Shock Absorbers" both need to be changed.

I have asked him NOT to do it till I get some more info from my friends on this forum.

The car is in extended warranty (2+2) but none of the parts mentioned is covered under it.

I am not facing any problem in driving.

What is your suggesting guys?
Old 24th January 2014, 13:42   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Highline 1.6 going for second annual service the day after tomorrow.

Taking it to the Chennai Whites Rd place, this time, instead of getting it picked up and delivered by Abra, their service place being very far from me.
Highline 1.6, Sundaram Motors, Chennai, 2nd annual service:

They kept the car for two days. Cost was just over 11,000. The Service Adviser suggested leaving out balancing/alignment due to my very low mileage. Still, nearly 3.5K is for various cleaning options that I did not really think about.

The cured the "sqeak" noise, which seemed to have come from a door rubber. Some small electrical part was replaced under warranty, but I have not understood what!

The cleaning was thorough on the inside, 8.5 on the outside, as chrome was not restored (not an easy thing to do!) to new condition.

The car is smoother and quieter, as is normally the case after a service, but I am not happy with the engine tuning, as the slow-speed pick-up seems to be a bit worse than before.

I will call up about this, and probably take the car back again --- also I forgot to tell about the fault with the horn which has lost its tone, until I got into the car at the end of the day. The SA said, just bring it in again and we will see.

The car was not finished until late in the day. Seats were damp from the cleaning. The staff were polite and friendly.
Old 24th January 2014, 19:20   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

I am taking the car back next Wednesday afternoon, because I am disatisfied with the engine performance, and because having realised that I paid Rs.1,500 for "external beautification" I expect the chrome to be polished. I polished an inch of the admittedly filthy front grill just to prove that the marks do come off. I could do the rest, but its hard work, and I paid already.

Yes, I'm stupid having got all that paid stuff that was unnecessary --- but one lives and learns!

The upholstery is clean now, so I can spray it with the Scotch Guard that I bought in Singapore back in November. Yes, I know to allow lots of ventilation and not to breathe it.
Old 24th January 2014, 22:55   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I gave my Polo Petrol for 3rd service at 37k (under AMC, free of cost).

The SA lifted the car and told me that some problem with the shock absorber. He will change the "Shock Absorber STOPPERS" (Rs.1600/- for pair)
Can anybody please explain what a 'Stopper' is ? Im hearing it for the first time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks