Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2014, 19:12   #601
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Could it be a dying battery?
Thankyou for the prompt response.
I had a similar doubt in mind, but the car does not show any struggle while starting up i.e. the sound of the car while starting up is exactly same as how she was starting up before the checklight turned on, its just that the engine comes to life only after 4-5 unsuccessful cranks.

I would be happy if I come to know that this problem is due to a dying battery, because anything else can be very scary with a VW which is out of warranty.
Old 13th October 2014, 13:26   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
Thankyou for the prompt response.
I had a similar doubt in mind, but the car does not show any struggle while starting up i.e. the sound of the car while starting up is exactly same as how she was starting up before the checklight turned on, its just that the engine comes to life only after 4-5 unsuccessful cranks.

I would be happy if I come to know that this problem is due to a dying battery, because anything else can be very scary with a VW which is out of warranty.
Seems to be a problem with the starter motor, especially if you get a clicking sound when you crank the engine and the engine does not respond at all. try getting it checked at a non VW workshop.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 13:47   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
Seems to be a problem with the starter motor, especially if you get a clicking sound when you crank the engine and the engine does not respond at all. try getting it checked at a non VW workshop.
I am also planning to get it checked outside and then at VW as well so that I get two opinions.

BTW another strange thing that I noticed today - I tried to start the engine, it started and stayed on for a second and died, and then all of a sudden the rpm needle rises to ~1500-1700 rpm, and then comes down within a second.
P.S. I did not give any accelerator inputs at the time of starting and also the rpm needle rises after the engine is completely dead i.e. the handbrake and battery icons reappear on the console.

What could be the reason behind the rpm needle rising soon after the engine going off?
Old 13th October 2014, 16:09   #604
BHPian

Quote:
I am also planning to get it checked outside and then at VW as well so that I get two opinions.

BTW another strange thing that I noticed today - I tried to start the engine, it started and stayed on for a second and died, and then all of a sudden the rpm needle rises to ~1500-1700 rpm, and then comes down within a second.
P.S. I did not give any accelerator inputs at the time of starting and also the rpm needle rises after the engine is completely dead i.e. the handbrake and battery icons reappear on the console.

What could be the reason behind the rpm needle rising soon after the engine going off?
if the engine starts and then dies, then the problem may not be with the starter motor. more likely a problem with the fuel system, ie the fuel pump, filter or fuel lines.

I would suggest getting your car checked at VW. get it hooked to the diagnostics and they should be able to arrive at the problem. the problem may very well be with something completely unrelated. So better get it checked with the OBD.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 16:58   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
if the engine starts and then dies, then the problem may not be with the starter motor. more likely a problem with the fuel system, ie the fuel pump, filter or fuel lines.

I would suggest getting your car checked at VW. get it hooked to the diagnostics and they should be able to arrive at the problem. the problem may very well be with something completely unrelated. So better get it checked with the OBD.
I will get her checked ASAP and get back on the forum with the diagnosis made by the VW guys.
Old 14th October 2014, 10:25   #606
BHPian

Does anyone know Service Station for VW Polo TDI, but not VW showroom. I don't have any faith in them. Bosch or any good local will work near Shalimar Bagh.
Old 16th October 2014, 15:55   #607
BHPian

Quote:
I will get her checked ASAP and get back on the forum with the diagnosis made by the VW guys.
I got my Polo checked today, they performed a scan on it which showed the errors as can be seen in the picture I have attached at the end of this post.
The errors were reset and then the car was taken for a road test after which the scan was repeated and the errors still persisted (although the check light did not re-appear).
SA asked me to leave the car so that they can perform a detailed checkup and find the root cause.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20141016_143131.jpg  

Last edited by Mr.mitsuvolk : 16th October 2014 at 16:14.
Old 16th October 2014, 17:21   #608
BHPian

Quote:
I got my Polo checked today, they performed a scan on it which showed the errors as can be seen in the picture I have attached at the end of this post.
The errors were reset and then the car was taken for a road test after which the scan was repeated and the errors still persisted (although the check light did not re-appear).
SA asked me to leave the car so that they can perform a detailed checkup and find the root cause.
Hope that you get your car back soon Do ask your workshop guys to give you a detailed report of the problem.
Old 18th October 2014, 12:41   #609
BHPian

Got my Polo back last evening. There was apparently no problem with any part of the car, it was only some wiring which was damaged (maybe damaged by rats?) as a result of which the sensors were not functioning properly.
VW guys have repaired it and the car is back to normal now.

Total damage : Rs.1514

Thank you everyone for the support
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 16:14   #610

Hi proud polo owners.
My polo got crushed by a tree on the 1st of October and the car after police clearance was towed to the vw workshop in sewri. All the documents were submitted on the 2nd itself the insurance evaluators from bharati axa came on the 6th. Now its been 17 days since the accident and there is an estimate that has been created and sent to the bharati axa people. But there is no approval from them so that work on my car can start. I need the help of you guys to tell me the steps I should take so as to help me get the claim work started. Desperate without a car for 17 days and the repairs haven't even started.
Old 18th October 2014, 18:18   #611
BHPian

There is alot of delay from Bharti axa's part which is evident from the fact that they surveyed your car after 3-4 days of submitting the required documents.
I would suggest you to personally visit their office and tell them about the inconvenience you are facing.
Usually the entire procedure from survey to approval of claim takes not more than 4-5 working days (This is from my experience of a couple of private as well as government automobile insurance providers).
Old 22nd October 2014, 14:43   #612
BHPian

I want am planning to purchase third year extended warranty for my 1.5 years old Polo Petrol. Does any one have a list of parts covered under extended warranty? Are they same as the standard first two years warranty? Or are there any exclusions?
Old 22nd October 2014, 16:31   #613
Team-BHP Support

A friend's Polo 1.2 TDI has crossed 1L km and he has shared some info.

Quote:
1. I got the gear shift replaced under warranty at 32000 km. It would get stuck in reverse gear. Turns out, one of the cables in it was damaged. VW promptly covered that in warranty without much fuss.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=tyKsEEr2yeU

2. Apart from that no other major repairs.

3. I do the oil changes on my own so never visited the dealer after I bought my car. Saves a lot of time and money. VW after sales is not that great here in Bangalore. And very costly. Every 13,000 km to 15,000 km, I do an oil change and all filters change.

4. I have been using Shell helix 5W40 since the first oil change. Car came with Castrol Magnatec filled from factory. After first service changed to Shell Helix. Runs quite smoothly with helix. So every 15,000 km I change the oil, oil filter, engine air filter and ac filter. Every 30,000 km, I change the diesel filter also in addition to the other things that I do every 15,000 kms.

5. I did have to change the tires once. The Apollos that came from factory lasted about 65,000 kms. It was quite a stretch till 65,000 km! They had become quite hard and noisy by then. They had lost some grip as well. Replaced them with Michelin Primacy 3ST.

6. My car still has factory brake pads and factory clutch.

7. I source all the OEM parts from a spare part dealer in j.c road in Bangalore. Synthetic oil is quite a lot cheaper than the MRP in j.c road.

8. About the engine timing belt, the service booklet says that the 1.2 TDI needs timing belt replacement at 2,10,000 kms. So have not changed that yet. Pic attached for reference.

9. VW can refuse to give warranty on a car that has been serviced outside VW dealers but, that is a chance that I took. Also I must add that the dealer who sold us the car had shut shop. He closed almost two years ago. So all the cars sold by that dealer had to visit a different dealer for service. That is what happened when I had gone for the gear shifter replacement. I think they did not shift service records from the old dealership to other service stations so when I asked for warranty they did not ask me even once about service history.
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_2090-2.jpg

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_2105.jpg

Impressive I'd say. Good luck to him and the car.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 01:26   #614

Quite impressive. That is one very neat long term service report.
All the wishes to him for the lakhs of kilometers yet to be covered in the car.
The fact that the car still runs on factory brake pads and clutch and also the fact that the appollos lasted 65 k kms says a lot about the driving style and the care he is putting into maintaining the car. Hatsoff to him
But i must say, even though he did all the oil/filter changes at the prescribed intervals, he took a lot of risk by servicing the polo outside. Lucky that the showroom guys didn't ask him the service details while fixing the gear lever issue. But i'd strongly suggest servicing VW cars at an authorized service centre atleast during the warranty period. You never know what can go wrong and the service center guys will be looking for anything and everything that can void our warranty.
Old 23rd October 2014, 23:25   #615
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoju View Post
All the documents were submitted on the 2nd itself the insurance evaluators from bharati axa came on the 6th. Now its been 17 days since the accident and there is an estimate that has been created and sent to the bharati axa people. But there is no approval from them so that work on my car can start.
Sorry to hear about this. Bharti-Axa has just contacted us, and they want to step in to resolve your complaint.

Would you kindly send across your contact details (email address in my signature)? Thanks.

Be sure to keep the community updated!

Their message:

Quote:
Dear Customer, Apologies for the inconvenience caused. Please provide your contact number, policy number & City , the concerned team will get in touch with you shortly.

Thanks & Regards

Team Bharti AXA general Insurance

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2014 at 23:27.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks