BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Just saw this thread and wanted to share it with you guys:

http://blog.sukh.us/#!/2013/10/plann...-in-india.html
Old 5th December 2013, 09:18   #452
BHPian

I faced a strange problem last Sunday.

I was driving from Mumbai to Pune. Around Belapur in navi Mumbai my car AC stopped working. In the sense, the fan was working but air coming out of outlets was not cooled. I shut off the AC for some time and opened the windows.

After Khalapur toll plaza, just to try, I again switched on the AC and to my surprise, it again began cooling the air.

I am puzzled as to what went wrong?

Can any expert throw light on this?
Old 5th December 2013, 12:41   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
the fan was working but air coming out of outlets was not cooled. I shut off the AC for some time and opened the windows.

After Khalapur toll plaza, just to try, I again switched on the AC and to my surprise, it again began cooling the air.

AC keeps shutting off in regular intervals when a set temperatures is reached, we don't notice it during routine city driving and its noticed when we spend more time in the car like when we are on long trips.

Apart from compressor shut off, air circulation mode (if set to in-cabin air circulation) also keeps turning off regularly to let the fresh oxigen in the cabin for safety reasons.
Old 5th December 2013, 13:03   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
AC keeps shutting off in regular intervals when a set temperatures is reached, we don't notice it during routine city driving and its noticed when we spend more time in the car like when we are on long trips.

Apart from compressor shut off, air circulation mode (if set to in-cabin air circulation) also keeps turning off regularly to let the fresh oxigen in the cabin for safety reasons.
I know compressor shuts off when set temperature is reached. Fan was working anyway both in re-circulation and fresh air mode.

This was a situation where temperature in cabin was much above set temperature and I realised the situation only when it became uncomfortably warm and stuffy. That's when I checked whether cool air was coming through vents.

For the first time is last 3.5 years I experienced this. Otherwise, I have driven my polo continuously for 8-9 hours on highways but never faced this situation.
Old 5th December 2013, 13:17   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You might to check coolant level and functioning of the radiator fan when air conditioning is in use. The air conditioning can shut off if engine temperature is rising over prescribed limits.

How many engine cooling fans does the Polo have? I guess it is one to support air conditioning and engine cooling. The fans operate at two speeds. One is slow speed and the other is high speed. Check functioning of both speeds. You can't for the higher speed as that will kick in only if engine temperature rises. Pop the hood, crank the engine, turn on air conditioning and check if the cooling fan is operational.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 13:30   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Probably ice formation on the condensor pipes due to prolonged use and intense cooling from highway engine speeds. Is a common problem in certain cars and have faced it in both my Chevys (Aveo/Cruze)

Once the ice has melted (i.e. sometime after you switched off the AC), the cooling starts again. However since you haven't faced this earlier, better get it checked by VW or an expert AC mechanic.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 14:02   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I faced a strange problem last Sunday.

I was driving from Mumbai to Pune. Around Belapur in navi Mumbai my car AC stopped working. In the sense, the fan was working but air coming out of outlets was not cooled. I shut off the AC for some time and opened the windows.

Since yours is a new car, I don't know how much of this would be valid for your case, but in my OHC 2001 model, the intermittent AC running was linked to electrical wiring problem. Not really problems in wires, but the sockets and plugs in the wiring harness had become loose, and thus the issue.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 11:02   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Probably ice formation on the condensor pipes due to prolonged use and intense cooling from highway engine speeds. Is a common problem in certain cars and have faced it in both my Chevys (Aveo/Cruze)

Once the ice has melted (i.e. sometime after you switched off the AC), the cooling starts again. However since you haven't faced this earlier, better get it checked by VW or an expert AC mechanic.
This is 100% correct. I used to find this strange when I had my first TDI. Then I got to understand that never run the airconditioning with the knob on full cooling unless its exceptionally hot temperature outside.
Old 16th December 2013, 01:29   #459
BHPian

My Polo 1.2 TDi HL bought in 2011 March (clocked 80000kms) now the suspension makes all kinds of noises on bad roads. It is no more soft or robust as Volkswagen claims it to be. Potholes are felt more in the cabin now and there is marked noise. The usual route of the car involves few bad stretches of road. Had the issue for quite some time and the service executive said I had to replace 4 bushes in the suspension which may(!!) have got worn. He estimated quite a high amount too. Should I replace the suspension altogether or does this bush thing make any sense to any of you?.
The car also has many rattling issues which EVM Volkswagen Trivandrum just can't get fixed, especially rattling sound from the rear left end(not sure where its from).
Yet another issue, the ABS warning light is on. Had the same problem couple of months back when they replaced a particular speed sensor which solved it. Now the same issue has cropped up again. Totally unsatisfied with the reliability of this German.
Old 17th December 2013, 16:17   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi@98 View Post
the service executive said I had to replace 4 bushes in the suspension which may(!!) have got worn. He estimated quite a high amount too. Should I replace the suspension altogether or does this bush thing make any sense to any of you?.
The car also has many rattling issues which EVM Volkswagen Trivandrum just can't get fixed, especially rattling sound from the rear left end(not sure where its from).
Was it the strut mount bushes that were being referred to ? They would cost a fraction compared to replacing the entire suspension. Would you mind disclosing the quote from EVM to replace the bushes ? My rough guess is that it should cost about 3K. About 2K for the bushes and 1K for labor.

Have you tried moving out everything from your boot - the spare wheel, tool kit and do a test drive to see if it persists. The rattling may be related to the weak strut bush.
Old 17th December 2013, 19:32   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Was it the strut mount bushes that were being referred to ? They would cost a fraction compared to replacing the entire suspension. Would you mind disclosing the quote from EVM to replace the bushes ? My rough guess is that it should cost about 3K. About 2K for the bushes and 1K for labor.

Have you tried moving out everything from your boot - the spare wheel, tool kit and do a test drive to see if it persists. The rattling may be related to the weak strut bush.
If my memory is right he quoted nearly 4500. Gave the polo for service today. Demanded the services of a senior advisor. Was quite satisfied with the experience. Made him drive the car in my company for making him understand wot the issues were. I think he has a better idea about the car compares to the previous service executives I've dealt with. Will see the results tomorrow.
Old 20th December 2013, 20:49   #462

Hello everyone,

Very interesting thread. I have a Polo HL Petrol 1.2 which has covered 7700km in around 6 months. I have two problems with the car as to which I am wondering if I can claim warranty of.
1. The integrated Bluetooth makes my voice sound distorted to the person on the other end as a result of which I have resorted to other means of hands free to talk to pple while driving. I know in car bluetooth are not perfect but it is pointless to have paid extra for it if I am not being able to use it. Anyone else facing the same problem? Would it be covered under warranty?
2. One of my headlights' reflector has become loose as in the reflector sways laterally however the headlamp levelling works fine. Did some research on the net and found out that its a design fault. Can anyone throw some light on this?

Thanks

Gaurav
Old 26th December 2013, 09:53   #463
BHPian

Just yesterday, the rotary temperature control knob on my 2011 1.2 Polo failed to move in the cooling zone. I usually keep it at 10 'o' clock position as it cools too much when kept in the blue zone. But last night i turned on the heater for a couple of minutes & now it wont move into the blue zone
Will send it to ASC today - let's see whether they do it on FoC basis or charge me!
What worries me is 'Kaput' quality in a German Car!
Old 27th December 2013, 16:35   #464

Hi everyone. I have a Polo TDI and completed 15k kms. I am hearing a rattling noise from my rear left side on the car whenever I go over uneven roads and seems to be coming from the suspension. However, the strange thing is that I usually notice it when the car is cold. It sound like some loose component is hitting against something. Once the car covers 15-20 kms the sound goes away or is so faint that I dont notice it. I have checked in my boot for any loose items and have even tried driving with everything removed from the boot including the spare wheel, still faced the sound. Any one has any idea from where this sound might be generated. I suspect it might be shocker bushes etc but then it does not happen once the car runs a few kms.. Looking forward to advice from polo owners.
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:41   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi@98 View Post
My Polo 1.2 TDi HL bought in 2011 March (clocked 80000kms) now the suspension makes all kinds of noises on bad roads. It is no more soft or robust as Volkswagen claims it to be. Potholes are felt more in the cabin now and there is marked noise. The usual route of the car involves few bad stretches of road. Had the issue for quite some time and the service executive said I had to replace 4 bushes in the suspension which may(!!) have got worn. He estimated quite a high amount too. Should I replace the suspension altogether or does this bush thing make any sense to any of you?.
Yet another issue, the ABS warning light is on. Had the same problem couple of months back when they replaced a particular speed sensor which solved it. Now the same issue has cropped up again. Totally unsatisfied with the reliability of this German.
Hi avi@98. Were you able to ascertain the cause of the "rattling sound from the rear left end"? i have a 2012 POLO TDI and I am facing the exact same issue of rattling from rear left end. When I take my car to the service center in Gurgaon, they just dont seem to be able to replicate it. But it is very frustrating to her this rattle again and again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks