Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 09:41   #436
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

I had the 1st service (15,000km/1yr) of my Polo TDI done yesterday.

I wanted to keep the costs down from the "normal" bill of 13,000/-. Therefore I did the wheel alignment and balancing outside (for 550/- instead of VW rate of 1200/-), did not ask for interior cleaning (have a can of 3M interior cleaning foam for 400/- instead).

At the end of the day VW still managed to get me a bill of 12,900/- by popping in an A/C disinfectant for 1000/- (I did not ask this to be done) and a lock cylinder lubrication for 1000/- (this was done during my intermediary checkup at 10,000km and there was no need for it to be repeated in this service).

So fellow BHP-ians, remember - specifically say "Replace the pollen filter/ AC filter, but do not do A/C disintectant". And if you are the kind of car lover who takes your VW for intermediary service every 5000/- km, then keep a tab on the lubrication of lock cylinder. You need to do it only once every year.

The washing was also not upto mark. There were tar spots on the body which I hoped would be removed during the service. But unfortunately VW said they would not be able to do it since they are prevented from using diesel or any other solvents on the paint. The only option as per VW is to go for a full body polishing.

Last edited by kutts : 28th August 2013 at 09:44. Reason: More information on tar spots
kutts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 11:34   #437
BHPian

My Aug-2011 Polo 1.6 is due for it's second service. The last year bill was 7,765/- which I think is fair, considering they used synthetic oil (and gave me the can with remaining approximately 1 litre in it). Also, the rear left power window had stopped functioning which I never realized as no one sits in the rear in my car. This was replaced free of cost under warranty and more importantly, proactively. VW Pune West dealership is one of the best dealers I have ever came across. They were good while selling Tata and Fiat cars few years ago and now they are even better with VW.

Shall update this thread with second service bill details next week. BTW, love the gap of one year between consecutive services
Old 30th August 2013, 18:05   #438
BHPian

Hi all,

Need your help on an oil leak in one of the pipes in the engine bay. I have a Polo TDI and since I did the first service in Apr I have been seeing a small leak in the pipe that seems to carry oil to the turbo(Not sure). It's not bad, since in the last three months since service, I did not see any drops in my parking space. However over time the accumulation over the pipe seems to be quite a bit.

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-dscn1227.jpg
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-dscn1228.jpg
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-dscn1237.jpg
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-dscn1238.jpg

Has anyone with a Polo/Vento seen this on their cars? I have been to the workshop twice and they tell me this is normal, and I should get the engine bay washed. I smell something fishy. If I do that, I believe they are going to blame it on the pressure wash and ask me to shell money for the replacement.

Last edited by Ph03nix : 30th August 2013 at 18:18.
Old 16th September 2013, 15:13   #439
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I shall shortly be taking the delivery of the new GT TDI.

A few weeks back, I came to know that VW wasn’t offering any free services! Honestly, this has come across as a bit of a shocker to me especially considering our family has owned Maruti cars before which had always come with the first three complimentary service. Of course, we had to pay for any part replacements, additives etc.

Judging from this thread and several others on Team BHP and elsewhere, there appears to be concerns about VW overcharging for their periodic services, some of which are unwarranted (eg. replacing the pollen filter/wiper blades/wiper fluid which may not be really required at that stage). Looks like I may have to be prepared well in advance before I hand over the car at the service centre rather than receiving an invoice with a hefty sum to be paid!

This may look like I am jumping the gun (knowing I do not have the car right now!) but can anyone who owns a TDI let me know when the recommended first service has to be done? Is this to be done at 1000 km/1 month OR 10000 km/1 year? If it is the former, what sort of bill should I be expecting? Any other recommendations you would advise?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 16th September 2013, 18:29   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, I shall shortly be taking the delivery of the new GT TDI.

A few weeks back, I came to know that VW wasn’t offering any free services! Honestly, this has come across as a bit of a shocker to me especially considering our family has owned Maruti cars before which had always come with the first three complimentary service. Of course, we had to pay for any part replacements, additives etc.

Judging from this thread and several others on Team BHP and elsewhere, there appears to be concerns about VW overcharging for their periodic services, some of which are unwarranted (eg. replacing the pollen filter/wiper blades/wiper fluid which may not be really required at that stage). Looks like I may have to be prepared well in advance before I hand over the car at the service centre rather than receiving an invoice with a hefty sum to be paid!

This may look like I am jumping the gun (knowing I do not have the car right now!) but can anyone who owns a TDI let me know when the recommended first service has to be done? Is this to be done at 1000 km/1 month OR 10000 km/1 year? If it is the former, what sort of bill should I be expecting? Any other recommendations you would advise?

Many thanks in advance!
Let me answer in this way. Maruti offers 3 service free of cost (except parts). The intervals for each free service for a swift is: 1 month, 3 months and 6 months (Couldnt recollect the kms). Whereas polo mentions its first service at 1 yr or 15000 kms which ever is earlier.

So in effect what maruti offers is not actually missed by polo (apart from the marketing and feel good factor). We own both a polo and a swift and thus have experienced both. Hope this answers your concern.
rahulk2510 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 21:31   #441
BHPian

For maruti if I remember correctly eg my Swift, the first service was 1K kms/1 month whichever was earlier, the 2nd service was 5K kms/6 months and the third service was 10K kms. Subsequent to that every service interval is 10k Kms.

Last edited by invincible7 : 16th September 2013 at 21:33.
invincible7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 12:44   #442
Senior - BHPian

You are pretty much on the money ,the same slabs were applicable for the Wagon R as well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
For maruti if I remember correctly eg my Swift, the first service was 1K kms/1 month whichever was earlier, the 2nd service was 5K kms/6 months and the third service was 10K kms. Subsequent to that every service interval is 10k Kms.
Old 30th September 2013, 23:05   #443
Senior - BHPian

The engine head of my VW polo has been replaced again in 42k kms and three and a half years. updated it on my thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3252813
Old 7th October 2013, 16:23   #444
BHPian

VW Polo 1.2 TDi- Turbo issue

Hello guys,

I've clocked 47500km on my 2010 VW Polo 1.2 TDi.

Until now, I've never faced any major issue with the car except for minor niggles.

On Saturday the 5th, my friends and I were heading toward Shimoga to attend a wedding. At around 05:30, I noticed a hissing sound when I the engine crossed 2000 RPM. This was something I had never heard of before.

Luckily I had my OBDII adaptor and checked with my phone.

I got the following error code:

'Error Code Information-Bosch fun2drive app

Vehicle
Brand: VW (VOLKSWAGEN)
Model: Polo [2010-]
SubModel: Polo 1.2D

P0299
Deviation boost control

Pending DTC.'

I tried searching the internet for solutions but couldn't find any relevant solutions. I found a mechanic in Shimoga who found a leak in the inlet port of the turbocharger. He informed that just tightening the ports should reduce the problem.

He did tighten the ports but I noticed that the jerking appeared when I tried to cross 2000 RPM. The power output also had dropped.

I'd like some inputs from Polo 1.2TDI experts. Would highly appreciate it!

Thanks to my work schedule, I will be taking her on Saturday for a check up!

I'm trying to transfer the photo of the engine bay, but thanks to the amazing 2G network (pun intended), I'm still waiting for the file to get transferred!

Note: I couldn't find relevant posts so please feel free to move it to the right post if there is one.
Old 7th October 2013, 20:40   #445
BHPian

Re: VW Polo 1.2 TDi- Turbo issue

Ok so I've managed to upload the photo.

At the center of the image, the oil/sludge/liquid stains are clearly visible.

Hope I can find some solution to this soon!
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-20131005_131451.jpg  

Old 18th October 2013, 09:10   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Got my Polo 1.6 2nd service done at 17k kms. The billing was at INR 10,760. Done only the normal service( excluded wheel alignment, etc)

Details in the ownership thread!

Cheers!
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:02   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

Did my diesel Polo's first service yesterday at 13 months and 13000 km at Palace Cross Rajajinagar workshop. Bill came to Rs. 10,500 which I found reasonable.

Used their pickup and drop facility which saved me a lot of headache. Fly in the ointment is that their credit card machine refused to work and had to pay cash. Not a major issue, just the problem of driving to the ATM for the moolah.

Overall happy with their service.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 17:10   #448
BHPian

Done with the First year servicing of my Shadowfax (Polo Petrol) on Monday at 6800 kms (I know! too less, but ease of travel by company bus beats the stress of driving on JVLR). My review for the same: - Service Centre: Tornado motors, Andheri (E): I had taken the first appointment of the day i.e. at 8 am so as to save on office timings. I reached the center at 7.55 am but to my disappointment no one was available (even the receptionist) at the center till 8.25 am. I actually had to wait along with the Janitors and even ask them to switch on the AC. If the normal reporting time for the employees is later then why would they give appointments so early. Anyways, SA alloted to me was Mr. Kiran Rane, approach was a bit hasty but when asked queries was courteous enough to give convincing replies. Overall had a satisfactory experience at the service center. - Servicing done: General service, Castrol Magnatec 5W40 synthetic oil change (3 ltrs, had asked prior to giving the car on how many ltrs would be required and thanks to Team Bhp, I was aware of other's experiences before hand and would have pointed out to them, if they would charge me more than that), Oil filter, air filter and fuel filter change. I had complaints of left pull even after getting Wheel alignment done a month earlier, hence had to get it checked again here for any other problem if there were any to which the SA mentioned that they will have to do wheel alignment if there are no visible problems to get the issue solved. No issues of car getting dirtier on the interiors or complimentary scratch marks. - Total cost: Rs. 7296; could have saved another Rs. 614 if wheel alignment was not done (450 wheel alignment and 164 for wheel change). I had specifically asked them to not do any unnecessary things like car wash, wiper fluid top up, AC disinfectant, etc. - Car Response: Drove around 40 kms back home in b2b traffic as well as Palm beach road speeds and the car is a delight i must say. Engine noise is minimal and gear change is more utterly butterly delicious. Overall, satisfied with the service after been apprehensive for the same. Cheers!

Last edited by rahulk2510 : 30th October 2013 at 17:29.
rahulk2510 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 10:02   #449
BHPian

Re: VW Polo 1.2 TDi- Turbo issue

Hello guys,

So I managed to give my car for a check up and the SA informed me that the inter-cooler hose pipe was damaged. I asked him to replace the hose. After replacing the hose the engine is performing really well. It almost feels like a brand new engine because the power delivery is working as it should be. The mileage has improved. Pickup has improved. I had observed whitish smoke earlier, but that has disappeared too.

I've attached the photo of the damaged hose pipe. On the outer surface there is a small crack. But if one looks closely on the inside, the crack is much larger. I asked the SA for possible causes of this damage but didn't a convincing answer.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-20131102_093230.jpg  

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-20131102_095151.jpg  

vishwasvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 18:40   #450
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road Side Assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
All,

My Polo 1.6 will complete 2 years in August. A few days back I received a call from the dealer to renew the Road Side Assistance package as the default one that comes with the car expires after 2 years. The cost is Rs 3333 for 2 years or Rs 2111 for 1 year.
What do you guys suggest?

I have tried to attach the document below. Had attached images like before, but not sure if attach thing works for other documents as well.
Attachment 950943
My 1.6 is coming up to complete 2 years and its time to renew insurance, I was wondering whether to renew RSA as well, the tow service proved useful to me last year.

Also insurance I tried some online quotes , continuing with Bajaj Allianz would cost 23k and Tata AIG 16kish I lost out on ncb due to a claim last year but prices seem a lot higher than expected

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks