Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 09:22   #556

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Can you share the breakup. I just completed 20K service of diesel swift which cost me 9660. Friend's diesel Vento which completed 20K service as well was 9K. So hopefully petrol cars service cost should be less. Are you using synthetic oil?
Hi,
Will just mention the main elements.
1.Lock Carrier: Labour plus spare part : Rs 3850
2. AC Vents: Rs 2229(two)
3. Engine Oil 1 LTR: Rs 2909.99
4. Spark Plug: Rs 900
5. Dust and Pollen Filter: Rs 664

Guess if not for the lock carrier and AC vents, it would have been about 11k.
Old 19th August 2014, 14:30   #557

Thanks for your reply Gannu,
Yes strangely as I drove around a bend there was a steel pot from a roadside temple lying on the road, had to go over it as a KSRTC bus came around the turn at the exact time. But all i heard was a slight metal on metal clang, I guess that was the blow.
Well the car is going in tomorrow for replacement, had to drive 400kms back home like I was driving the bus on Speed albeit the killer being potholes, waiting for a fatal check engine light.
Aravind R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 19:00   #558
Team-BHP Support

Do we really need to replace the AC dust and pollen filter at the 15k service? Why not just clean the stock filter using vacuuming/blowing and reuse it? I am sure it would still work albeit not as efficiently as a new filter. Replacing the filter at this stage looks a bit pointless to me. Can we request the service center not to do the replacement? Would save at least Rs. 750 (the filter costs Rs. 664 + labor charges) which would bring down the bill less than the 9k mark.

Just asking!
Old 20th August 2014, 23:58   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Just asking!
Shame on you Gannu. You spend thousands on your DIYs, yet you want to deny the workshop a few hundred bucks...
Old 21st August 2014, 06:58   #560
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Shame on you Gannu. You spend thousands on your DIYs, yet you want to deny the workshop a few hundred bucks...

I wanted to keep the service charges minimal. Thus, asking.
Old 21st August 2014, 09:16   #561
BHPian

Quote:

I wanted to keep the service charges minimal. Thus, asking.
Just to argue with your friends having Marutis, Toyotas etc that- "No, VW maintenance is not more expensive compared to your cars, look at my service bills"

Anyways, you can reuse the AC filter but IMO its better to replace after such a long usage Because bacterias and very fine dirt particles accumulate and settle in the filter which won't be cleaned out fully and using such filter won't be good for health. There are reusable aftermarket filters also available but the OEM is better since you can throw it after using a while. Its paper made so not harmful for environment also when you dump it.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 21st August 2014 at 09:26.
Old 24th August 2014, 16:17   #562
BHPian

Last week my wifey took too wide a turn and hit another car. These are pictures of the bumper damage. I think at least 2-3 others have had a similar experience described in this thread.

If the second image is zoomed in, one can see clearly a round piece of plastic which got knocked in. This is the same case in other cars too. Wonder what is this piece for. Space for front parking sensors ?.

The insurance renewal / first service comes in another couple months. Now do I wait for this or get the bumper repaired in a couple weeks ?. Im thinking in terms of trying not to lose NCB on the insurance renewal.

We have many engagements in the next two weeks which means the car is in demand.

Was thinking of getting a sticker and pasting it on the bumper until it is repaired later.

Can owners in Chennai suggest where to go for this - Abra in Ambattur or Sundaram in Mount Road. Had a good experience with Sundaram (VW Mount Road) for the 6 months free service.

Thanks,

Mahesh
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-20140817_1254302.jpg  

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-20140817_125437.jpg  

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-20140817_125430.jpg  

Old 24th August 2014, 16:45   #563
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post

If the second image is zoomed in, one can see clearly a round piece of plastic which got knocked in. This is the same case in other cars too. Wonder what is this piece for. Space for front parking sensors ?.
Isn't that hole to plug-in the towing hook?

Replacing the bumper + getting it painted to match your car colour should set you back by 7-8K. Bear this amount from your pocket or claim insurance.

IMO, I don't find it wise to claim insurance so better is either leave it life this or but a new bumper and paint it.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 18:24   #564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Isn't that hole to plug-in the towing hook?
Yes, it is cover to access the tow hook.

Here is my Polo's 3rd Service charges. This includes 2 air vents replaced ( Lh side and center set) , Brake pads and connecting link replacement.
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-6.jpg
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-7-copy.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th August 2014 at 18:31.
Old 24th August 2014, 20:05   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do we really need to replace the AC dust and pollen filter at the 15k service? Why not just clean the stock filter using vacuuming/blowing and reuse it? I am sure it would still work albeit not as efficiently as a new filter. p
Well a service schedule from a US VW dealer that I posted a few posts back suggesting doing this at 40K.

The only reason I can see this being done at 15K is because of the dustier environment we have. But does a dustier filter place more load on the AC perhaps causing failure. In any case I don't see this being a necessity before 30K.

I think the fuel filter change interval is a similar case. Is this again VW trying to account for the engine operating in different conditions from those in US and Europe? These two change intervals being moved to the 30K sevice mark will mean a close to 20% reduction in the service bill.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 25th August 2014, 11:10   #566
BHPian

What about VW cars that have not been used much, like only 7K in the first year. Do we follow the yearly schedule or do we wait a bit a few months before taking it for the 15K or one year service ?
Old 25th August 2014, 11:24   #567
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now do I wait for this or get the bumper repaired in a couple weeks ?. Im thinking in terms of trying not to lose NCB on the insurance renewal.
The tow cover/cap may require replacement. A Google search reveals the part number as 6R0807241A.

If there’s an emergency right now, the simplest thing to do is to have a sticker stuck there. I think the forum’s LTD sticker would be a perfect fit there and will cover the hole.

Once you have some time, take the car to an FNG that does paint touch ups and dent removals. These folks will fix the crack using some putty, have it sanded and then painted. The tow cover will still require a replacement. Try to get it sourced from eBay or elsewhere. VW’s service center will charge a good price for getting it fixed; FNGs will be cheaper and quicker. Don’t claim your insurance for this petty job. You’ll lose your NCB.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 11:31   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about VW cars that have not been used much, like only 7K in the first year. Do we follow the yearly schedule or do we wait a bit a few months before taking it for the 15K or one year service ?
Oil degrades with time and/or usage. So do the service as prescribed by VW, or you may have to forgo your warranty.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 11:38   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Was thinking of getting a sticker and pasting it on the bumper until it is repaired later.
Quote:
If there’s an emergency right now, the simplest thing to do is to have a sticker stuck there. I think the forum’s LTD sticker would be a perfect fit there and will cover the hole.
Pasting a sticker on the damaged portion and later removing it will leave some marks on the spot. It will also leave some glue on the spot which will quickly attract dirt and overall the spot will start looking old. Sometimes Insurance surveyors object passing claims when the damage doesn't look 'recent' so pasting the sticker is not a good idea.
Old 25th August 2014, 11:44   #570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Sometimes Insurance surveyors object passing claims when the damage doesn't look 'recent' so pasting the sticker is not a good idea.
We aren’t suggesting going for an insurance claim here. Please read my post again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
It will also leave some glue on the spot which will quickly attract dirt and overall the spot will start looking old.
The glue left behind by the sticker can be easily removed using WD40 soaked cloth or a degreaser. The FNG would do it in a jiffy. Hardly a task for those guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks