Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2014, 09:08   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
If it is not a chain and indeed the belt, then this sort of mileage is nothing short of a phenomenon! A belt that is lasting 2L km! That too, for all 1.2, 1.6, 2.0 tdi engines!

EDIT: just read in the forums that this is due to improved Continental "Conti High Flex Belt". Technologies advance to this levels and still one European engine maker is suggesting 60k replacement intervals for their timing chains. Sigh.

Last edited by ramzsys : 24th October 2014 at 09:14.
Old 24th October 2014, 17:47   #617
BHPian

I have a Polo Petrol (Highline) bought in 2012. During my first service in Oct 2013, I was advised to change the fuel filter. The car had just run 3k kms then and I fought hard to avoid changing the fuel filter as it was not mentioned in the service manual. They gave me some argument about the 'Indian conditions' but I was not convinced. Finally, the manager there had a face palm moment when they realized that this is a Petrol vehicle and they only suggest changing the fuel filter for Diesel cars.

Now my car has run approx 10k kms and I will be giving it for the 2nd service on Monday. With my previous experience, I want to be really careful. The SA told me that this time they will replace the spark plugs (3 of them) in the 2nd service (approx Rs 1,000). Is this really required for my usage? I haven't checked the service manual yet, but wanted to check with the experts here.

Also, is it advisable to take the extended warranty?

Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 24th October 2014, 19:27   #618

Hi.
In my opinion, even though the car hasnt covered a lot of distance during the past two years,its advisable to change the spark plugs during the second service. The spark plug performace might be reduced now owing to less usage and 2 years of life span. Those plugs wont cost you that much and there will be improvement in terms of FE, and emission upon replacing the plugs.
Also regarding the extended warranty,just like our fellow bhpians mentioned on the thread, you never know when will one of the exensive parts fail.Let it be an ac compressor or the ECU, it can create a hole in your pocket. So its advisable to take the extended warranty. I reckon the extended warranty (2+2) for the petrol polo during its second year would cost around 10 k (pic attached). But frankly i think that's money well spent. I am planning to take extended warranty for my Vento which is completing one year by this december.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-1414158977132.jpg  

alexxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 23:44   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
The SA told me that this time they will replace the spark plugs (3 of them) in the 2nd service (approx Rs 1,000). Is this really required for my usage?
Have a look at the owners manual which has everything mentioned in details. Check up interval period of spark plug replacement and get it done accordingly.

Quote:
Also, is it advisable to take the extended warranty?
A big yes. With German cars its better to have extended warranty anytime. Do get it.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 08:42   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A friend's Polo 1.2 TDI has crossed 1L km and he has shared some info.
Attachment 1301641

Attachment 1301642

Impressive I'd say. Good luck to him and the car.
Great! exactly the kind of confirmation I was looking for.

So the brakes pads are still going strong after 1 lakhs kms! Thats impressive. Could you get brand of spares that your friend used for the parts - oil filter, diesel filter and air filter?

That page from the service booklet, i can't seem to find it on the booklet that came with my Polo GT. I was hunting around for something like that.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 25th October 2014, 08:51   #621
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
If it is not a chain and indeed the belt, then this sort of mileage is nothing short of a phenomenon! A belt that is lasting 2L km! That too, for all 1.2, 1.6, 2.0 tdi engines!
The issue is, the service centers here would recommend an early replacement for a few parts citing Indian conditions which would override the advice as indicated in the service booklet. Either way, this guy left me shocked for a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Could you get brand of spares that your friend used for the parts - oil filter, diesel filter and air filter?
VW OEM parts Shibu. I reconfirmed it from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
That page from the service booklet, i can't seem to find it on the booklet that came with my Polo GT. I was hunting around for something like that.
Exactly. I never found something like this with my car either. I shall ask him to send me a few snaps of the booklet he has received.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 09:01   #622
BHPian

Quote:
A friend's Polo 1.2 TDI has crossed 1L km and he has shared some info.

Attachment 1301641

Attachment 1301642

Impressive I'd say. Good luck to him and the car.
What did he do about the service reminders that Polo gives in the form of a beep everytime you turn on the car once the Number of kms or days are over for the next service, although it's not a big issue but still is there a way to reset it as is done by VW after every service?
Old 27th October 2014, 09:41   #623
Team-BHP Support

Here are the images from the service booklet forwarded by my friend. Many thanks to him!

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_2145.jpg

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_2147.jpg

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_2149.jpg

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_2151.jpg

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_2153.jpg

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_2155.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
What did he do about the service reminders that Polo gives in the form of a beep everytime you turn on the car once the Number of kms or days are over for the next service, although it's not a big issue but still is there a way to reset it as is done by VW after every service?
He sent me this extract and suggested that the steps be followed to reset the service reminders:

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-reset-service-interval.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th October 2014 at 09:44.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 14:48   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Have a look at the owners manual which has everything mentioned in details. Check up interval period of spark plug replacement and get it done accordingly.
I looked at every page available in the Owner's manual and the Service book and somehow I cannot get a page that says what is covered in each servicing. I can swear I saw that page last year when I confronted them for the fuel filter, but can't get to it now. Does anybody here have a scanned copy of the service schedule (for a Petrol 1.2)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have not checked the service booklet. Does it mention spark plugs?
Thad - Did you find this in the service booklet?
Old 27th October 2014, 20:07   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

There should be a separate booklet, I think, for services. It should be stamped too, at each one.

Last service, I forgot to check

Old 27th October 2014, 20:38   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are the images from the service booklet forwarded by my friend. Many thanks to him!

He sent me this extract and suggested that the steps be followed to reset the service reminders:
Thanks a lot to both of you for getting this info. This is some seriously helpful stuff.

I checked out the IOC site - https://www.iocl.com/Products/DieselSpecifications.pdf . It mentions BSIII levels at 350 mg/kg which according to an online convertor is 350 ppm - way lower than the 2000ppm limit that VW advices for the 15k diesel fuel replacement.

Just checked out the ppm spec - it is 350ppm for IOC diesel. Guess the site that Google threw up - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...nfusion-2.html

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 11:34   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There should be a separate booklet, I think, for services. It should be stamped too, at each one.
Yes. I do have that booklet that has the record of the servicing. But it doesn't have the list of items that should be covered under each servicing.

I dropped the car at VW Hyderabad workshop for 2nd year servicing. Since the car has only run 10k kms, the SA agreed to skip changing the spark plugs. I also skipped the overpriced car wash and WA. The approximate bill might come to Rs 7k (engine oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter).

I just crossed the 2 year anniversary of my car, so couldn't opt for the extended warranty. And with my running really really low, I hope and pray that I don't need it either (fingers crossed).

Also, at the workshop I came across this brochure for maintenance of Polo (P).
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-polo_maintenance.jpg  

shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 13:26   #628
BHPian

Quote:
And with my running really really low, I hope and pray that I don't need it either (fingers crossed).
While I sincerely hope that you never have to pay a price for being unable to buy extended warranty, you must understand that most failures don't have anything to do with the running. In fact, most of the parts (that timing belt mentioned earlier being a shining example) are rated for lakhs of kms, but it doesn't mean each one will actually last that long. Parts fail prematurely all the time! And if that failed part happens to be installed in your car, and is an expensive one (e.g. the ECU), that is when you curse yourself for skimping on buying the extended warranty.

Conclusion: The rated life of components is just a statistical number. In today's complex automotive systems, most failures are random.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 11:40   #629
BHPian

Quote:
The approximate bill might come to Rs 7k (engine oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter).
I got the car back today. Total damage was around Rs 6k. They were able to clean the pollen filter, so didn't have to replace it yet. I'll probably do that before the next summer.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-polo_2ndservicing2.jpg  

Old 30th October 2014, 14:22   #630
BHPian

Hi,

I just got the 15K servicing of my Polo TDI done last month. This was at VW Noida.

I notice that your dealership has charged you 850 odd per litre for the engine oil. I was charged 985/- per litre for the same oil . Wonder why the difference , especially since the oil is priced for dealerships .

And yes , the engine oil for Petrol and TDI versions in Polo and Vento is the same. Castrol 5W 40 Magnatec.

Any ideas people ?

regards

Quote:
I got the car back today. Total damage was around Rs 6k. They were able to clean the pollen filter, so didn't have to replace it yet. I'll probably do that before the next summer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks