Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:48   #586
BANNED

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Not so easy, I checked with all major accessories shops and Bosch retailers and they are also short of the 24/16 for Polo. One guy offered me the 24 from Hella DynaEdge and 16 from Bosch ClearAdvantage. I did not want to mix the manufacturers so did not take it up.
Why not buy it online and get it delivered at your doorstep?

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/hell...s%20for%20Polo

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:14   #587
Senior - BHPian

I was looking for Bosch wiper blades in 24/16 size because a kid broken one.

The shop had Bosch 22" and 16" (separately). I bought it and it works absolutely fine. 1" or 2" less doesn't make much difference IMO.

I paid Rs.270/- for both.
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:15   #588
BHPian

VW Trivandrum called me now and have confirmed that they have received the wiper spares from Bangalore today morning. Have fixed an appointment to get it affixed later today. They waited on this for a month and after an escalation they were able to get it in less than 20 hours !
Old 25th September 2014, 22:08   #589
Senior - BHPian

Completed the free checkup of my GT TDi last weekend at VW Pathanamthitta, Kerala. Had a chat with the SM there.

Got the following pieces of information from him.

1. VW recommends the fuel filter change at 30K. Doing it every 30K will not void the warranty on your car according to him. However given the fuel conditions here, the dealership recommends 15K intervals

2. Oil filter, Air Filter, AC filter, Oil change prescribed at 15K. They carry out brake cleaning, body wash, wheel alignment and balancing. Alignment every %K

3. Alignment and balancing is not recommended outside as outside garages do not have VW alignment values.

4. He showed me a can of lubricant that VW prescribes for door locks, hinges etc every 1 year or 15K. 1 can for 1 car. Cost 1800 /-

5. Windshield washer fluid - 280/-. Two capfuls per 7 litres of water it seems.

6. Using wider spec tyres may void warranty of power steering if any complaints come up.

7. The service it self was pretty ok but being a free service you really cannot say much. One of my fuses conked out and they replaced it with the spare in my car itself. Labor cost - 80 rupees..

8. Wash was good - my car was heavy on tar specs which they removed.

9. You have the right to refuse any replacement which would result in a CNA (customer not approved) tag against the item. This may void your warranty later as the case may be.

Service maturity wise VW has a long way to go to catch up with the likes of Maruti and Hyundai but the first touch point has been good if would exclude an over anxious showroom person trying to dissuade me from taking a look at their service bays. To me the mechanics come first and then the equipment and sophistication of the service bay.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 25th September 2014 at 22:11.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 01:22   #590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Windshield washer fluid - 280/-. Two capfuls per 7 litres of water it seems.
Is that any particular brand? VW's own? Do you find it good?
Old 26th September 2014, 10:25   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Is that any particular brand? VW's own? Do you find it good?
It's VW's own. I did not buy it so no idea about performance. Trawled some sites for reviews and saw no adverse comments other than it was expensive. Planning to buy the windshield washer when I go for the 15K service.

I only paid 80 /- for the fuse replacement labour cost. Door lock lube too deferred for now.

The visit was also primarily to get a handle on the service attitude and what I can expect.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 13:55   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
3. Alignment and balancing is not recommended outside as outside garages do not have VW alignment values.

4. He showed me a can of lubricant that VW prescribes for door locks, hinges etc every 1 year or 15K. 1 can for 1 car. Cost 1800 /-

5. Windshield washer fluid - 280/-. Two capfuls per 7 litres of water it seems.

7. The service it self was pretty ok but being a free service you really cannot say much. One of my fuses conked out and they replaced it with the spare in my car itself. Labor cost - 80 rupees.
The alignment values are available with all most garages since most of them use imported equipment and the values for VW Polo 6R is by default supplied. I have seen them selecting the right car from the drop down options available while calibrating. So the SM was just bluffing his way through.

My SA agreed that the lock lubrication is not mandatory and needed only if the door hinges are hard or squeaky. It costs 1200/- to do so.

Windshield washer is VAG group product, smells nice and does the job effectively. Found it to be less soapy than Sonax.

Labor costs are comparative. The problem is that to even issue a spare part like wiper blades or fuses, they have to open a job card with vehicle number, which then means labor costs come in even if we could do the same ourselves.

Mods: Sorry for not using the multi quote - it is not getting enabled due to some reason.
Old 30th September 2014, 20:37   #593
DWC
BHPian

I've been driving around town happily in my new 1.5L polo tdi for about a month now. Mileage varies between 13 kmpl in bumper to bumper south mumbai traffic and have nursed her at 23 kmpl on the freeway as well. My average in-city mileage hovers around the 15-16 mark.

Today, out of the blue I was getting 9-11 kmpl all day. I think I must have driven around 50 kms with this mileage. Traffic was normal, nothing special. Can't seem to figure out why this happened. I noticed this immediately as I normally keep my mileage displayed on the MFD. Sobered up my driving style to see if that had any effect. Managed to inch it up to a little over 11.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the car was used after a gap of 2 days, though I doubt this could be the reason for the sudden drop in mileage.

Do I need to be worried? Should I go check it out at the service center? Or should I see how it plays out over a few days and then take a call?
Old 30th September 2014, 20:50   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Today, out of the blue I was getting 9-11 kmpl all day. I think I must have driven around 50 kms with this mileage. Traffic was normal, nothing special. Can't seem to figure out why this happened. I noticed this immediately as I normally keep my mileage displayed on the MFD. Sobered up my driving style to see if that had any effect. Managed to inch it up to a little over 11.
Did you refuel recently? Bad fuel maybe a reason for this. Did you also notice some change in the engine sound note? Bad fuel also translates into bad sounding engine.

But since you driven the car after couple of days and relying only on MFD for the FE, accuracy can't be guaranteed. It would be better if you can measure the FE on tank full basis.
Old 30th September 2014, 20:56   #595
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Did you refuel recently? Bad fuel maybe a reason for this. Did you also notice some change in the engine sound note? Bad fuel also translates into bad sounding engine.

But since you driven the car after couple of days and relying only on MFD for the FE, accuracy can't be guaranteed. It would be better if you can measure the FE on tank full basis.
Actually it was on the way to the fuel pump when I figured this out. So i'm pretty sure it wasn't the fuel. Now that you mention it, I tanked up with about 1/8th of the tank left, maybe some sediments from the tank got sucked into the engine? If this is the case, will the problem just go away or should I go check it out.

IMO, the mileage on the MFD is pretty spot on viz-a-viz the full tank basis.
Old 30th September 2014, 21:10   #596
BHPian

Quote:
I tanked up with about 1/8th of the tank left, maybe some sediments from the tank got sucked into the engine? If this is the case, will the problem just go away or should I go check it out.
Thats really not a level one should allow to reach very often considering the fuel quality we get in India, especially in case of diesel fuel. Always try to maintain fuel levels above half way mark, if not then atleast don't let the fuel levels go down below 1/4th mark.

Now since you have refueled the tank, observe the FE if turns back to normal.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 21:15   #597
BANNED

Quote:

Today, out of the blue I was getting 9-11 kmpl all day. I think I must have driven around 50 kms with this mileage. Traffic was normal, nothing special. Sobered up my driving style to see if that had any effect. Managed to inch it up to a little over 11.
Case 1: - Have you or anyone reset the MID? I feel it could be a case of reset.

Case 2: - If it is not fuel issue, then I guess you need to check all the four tyre pressures since the car was idle for two days.

Anurag.
Old 30th September 2014, 21:18   #598
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Thats really not a level one should allow to reach very often considering the fuel quality we get in India, especially in case of diesel fuel. Always try to maintain fuel levels above half way mark, if not then atleast don't let the fuel levels go down below 1/4th mark.

Now since you have refueled the tank, observe the FE if turns back to normal.
I make it a point to always tank up at the 1/4 mark. Somehow managed to slip up this once, won't let it happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Case 1: - Have you or anyone reset the MID? I feel it could be a case of reset.

Case 2: - If it is not fuel issue, then I guess you need to check all the four tyre pressures since the car was idle for two days.

Anurag.
Case 1 - Nope.
Case 2 - I filled air when i tanked up. So it's not the tyre pressure.

I think ill just play it out for a day or two and take it from there.
Old 12th October 2014, 18:23   #599
BHPian

I own a Petrol Polo bought in 2011 which has done 48k kms till date. Three days back the engine checklight turned on suddenly and now the car does not start easily i.e I need to crank atleast 4-5 times (it took 8 cranks once). The car either starts up for around 2 seconds and then goes off or does not start at all.
While I am trying to start the the car, sometimes the EPC light also starts flashing. The car once started is behaving normal and there is absolutely no change in the performance.

Has any other BHPian experienced this?
Kindly help.
Old 12th October 2014, 18:29   #600
Team-BHP Support

Could it be a dying battery?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed