Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2018, 16:07   #1411
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingraghu View Post
Hello Traveler

Thank you for the information. Will keep this thread updated with my upcoming planned mods and maintenance.

I do have another question regarding bulb specifications of Polo. They are nowhere to be seen in owner's manual. I have a plan to upgrade headlamps and fog lamps to LEDs soon. Can anyone throw some light on specifications or a link?
OE Halogen headlamps are 60/55W as specified by CMVR.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:50   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Fellow BHPians

I have just joined TeamBHP and have a query regarding my newly bought Volkswagen Polo 1.5 TDI Highline Plus. I have driven it just over 700 KM till now. The RPM generally stays in 800 Revs, but for past three days it climbs up to 900 in cold start and settles back to 800 after running few kilometers. Is it completely normal or do I have to consult the ASS on this?

A feedback from fellow 1.5 TDI owners would be helpful to me.

Thanks in advance!
It is perfectly fine. Make it a habit to begin your first trip in the morning only after idling for at least 90 seconds after you start the engine.

Welcome and Happy driving!!
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 13:03   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
It is perfectly fine. Make it a habit to begin your first trip in the morning only after idling for at least 90 seconds after you start the engine.
Most of the manufactures do not recommend idling a cold engine. Even i agree on that; as the engine works best when it is int he normal operating temperature.
The only thing you need to be careful is not to push it for the first 5 minutes or till it gets into the operating temperature zone.
Old 23rd February 2018, 21:37   #1414

Quote:

Welcome and Happy driving!!
Thank you for the information. Generally I move my car only after 2 minutes idling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Most of the manufactures do not recommend idling a cold engine. Even i agree on that; as the engine works best when it is int he normal operating temperature.
The only thing you need to be careful is not to push it for the first 5 minutes or till it gets into the operating temperature zone.
I always keep a check on rev counter until the coolant temperature reaches 90 degrees. Up shift at 1500 RPM. Though I seldom cross 2200 even in open roads.

Quote:
OE Halogen headlamps are 60/55W as specified by CMVR.
Any idea on the type of bulbs on high beam, low beam and fog lamps? I guess the high beams are H7.
Old 23rd February 2018, 22:59   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
A feedback from fellow 1.5 TDI owners would be helpful to me.
Here's what the VW owner's manual mentions.
BigBrad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 23:49   #1416
BANNED

I am an electrical engineer and have tested the machines and even diesel engines at full load at times. Two things which I have never followed in my life are:
1) Idling
2) Run in

I don't know or understand whatever logic is written on whatever wall in gold or silver, all I know is that we put full load on our DG sets once they start and we operate them at full load right from day 1.

The moment I took the delivery of my Polo TDi Highline (Sold at 74k kms) I pampered it till the fuel bunk only (1 km?), and since then it is driven with a very heavy foot (Especially on day 1), it didn't give me a single hiccup throughout the ownership - yes, not a single one!

Last edited by VKumar : 23rd February 2018 at 23:51.
Old 24th February 2018, 00:17   #1417
Distinguished - BHPian

My first experience of diesel engines was on yachts, and I was taught that they should not be warmed up and should be run under load.

However, the first thing my TDI has to do when leaving the house is to reverse up a slope. I find that it is sometimes lacking in power to do that if the engine is cold
Old 26th February 2018, 08:50   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Idling in the morning is not to reach any higher/operating temperature. It is to allow the coolant to circulate in the engine. No harm loading/ pushing diesel engine immediately as it hardly needs any higher temperature.
Old 26th February 2018, 09:59   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Idling in the morning is not to reach any higher/operating temperature. It is to allow the coolant to circulate in the engine. No harm loading/ pushing diesel engine immediately as it hardly needs any higher temperature.
If the engine is cold, the coolant/water will not circulate in the engine jacket as the Thermostat valve will be closed. You know it remains closed to bring the engine to operating temperature as fast as possible.
Old 26th February 2018, 12:35   #1420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, but that is not correct at all. You really should never idle a cold engine, be it petrol or diesel. It's not particularly good for the environment as it spews out a hell of lot more emissions than when at normal operating termperature. Also, as long as the engine is not up to its normal operating temperature the main problem is the temperature of the engine oil. Lubcrication will be suboptimal. The main area where this will show is on the cilinder liners and piston rings. They need the oil to be at the correct temperature otherwise the oil will not adhere and spread properly along the surface of the cilinderwall.

The coolant temperature is relevant as to a degree it also determines the temperature of the cilinder jackets and therefor the wall. As it circulates throughout the engine it does warm up the engine. Gunning an engine immediately and loading it up as you suggest is potential harmfull to any engine, to diesel engines even more so as they tend to have higher operating temperatures and pressures anyway. So with a cold engine there is even more stress on the engine.

Check you owner manual. I m pretty sure it will say you shouldnt idle your engine, just drive away and dont rev and or load up the engine until it has reached normal operating temperatures.

Modern diesel are extremely efficient and hardly warm up at all during idle so you actually have to drive them and put some load on them, just go easy on the throttle.

Quote:
If the engine is cold, the coolant/water will not circulate in the engine jacket as the Thermostat valve will be closed. You know it remains closed to bring the engine to operating temperature as fast as possible.
Your last sentence is correct, but the first one isn't I'm afraid

The coolant always circulates through the engine jacket, cilinder head etc. Whether the thermostat is closed or open.

When the Thermostat opens it allows the coolant also to circulate through the radiotor. And yes, a closed thermostat enables an engine to reach it's operating temperature quickly. If the coolant were to circulate throught the radiotor it would take a lot longer, obviously. See my previous comments, you want the engine to warm up gradually and fairly quickly without over reving or loading up the engine too much.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 13:08   #1421
BHPian

My Polo petrol has hardly been used in the last year. Barely covered 1200 kms. because I've been unwell. It is in the 4th year and has covered about 8500kms only .

The scheduled service is approaching. What is the minimum service required ?.

Thanks.
Old 6th March 2018, 15:38   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
My Polo petrol has hardly been used in the last year. Barely covered 1200 kms. because I've been unwell. It is in the 4th year and has covered about 8500kms only .

Thanks.
They will recommend Engine Oil and oil Filter change, AC cabin filter and Air filter change. You can skip the cabin and air filter as vehicle is not used extensively. Engine oil has a shelf life so change it.
And pl. do not fall for wheel alignment/balancing to be done
Old 7th March 2018, 13:16   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post

If it is the end of the fourth year, you do not have any more warranty and can consider an FNG depending on where you live and do the basics as suggested above.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 17:04   #1424
Distinguished - BHPian

My annual mileage is low. My place does not push everything. I asked for wheel alignment, and the guy said no, I don't need it!

He works have been a happier man if I had asked for some of the 3m stuff they retail! But there was no hard sell.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 18:45   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My annual mileage is low. My place does not push everything. I asked for wheel alignment, and the guy said no, I don't need it!

He works have been a happier man if I had asked for some of the 3m stuff they retail! But there was no hard sell.
Which place is this ?.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks