Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2018, 07:11   #1501
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
My 1.5 TDi has clocked close to 29k in 2 years now and all of a sudden it stopped starting yesterday. The battery is fine, all electricals are working. The engine just doesn’t seem to be able to start.

NOTE: There are no warning lights or messages on the instrument cluster whatsoever, so I’m completely clueless at the moment.
Yesterday i had exactly similar symptoms in my 26 months old skoda rapid 1.5 Tdi. All the electricals were working fine. After googling, found out that it's mostly the battery which wasn't not able to provide enough power to start the engine.

Changed the battery, all fine now.
Old 13th August 2018, 08:34   #1502
BHPian

Fuel has been filled up from the same station for the last 3 top ups. Also the last service was the annual one which was done during April when the car had run 24k kms. The service was done with Volkswagen. Anyhow, the folks from a trusted FNG will be coming over today (they regularly work with the German marques). Volkswagen have fleeced me way too much that I’ve lost complete trust in them. Will share an update here once they get back to me with the diagnosis.

@smnrock - Just saw your reply. Gives me a ray of hope. Fingers crossed that it should either be the battery or the fuel filter as these are relatively inexpensive compared to any other major repair.

Last edited by kaush666 : 13th August 2018 at 08:35. Reason: Adding a reply
Old 13th August 2018, 09:05   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
The service was done with Volkswagen. Anyhow, the folks from a trusted FNG will be coming over today (they regularly work with the German marques).

Volkswagen have fleeced me way too much that I've lost complete trust in them. Will share an update here once they get back to me with the diagnosis.
. Fingers crossed that it should either be the battery or the fuel filter as these are relatively inexpensive compared to any other major repair.

Oh yes, Skoda and Vw are well known for this; is why I do all my services and most of the part replacements etc in the DIY mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Yesterday i had exactly similar symptoms in my 26 months old skoda rapid 1.5 Tdi. All the electricals were working fine. After googling, found out that it's mostly the battery which wasn't not able to provide enough power to start the engine.

Changed the battery, all fine now.

Similar to what happened with my car - changed the battery and all good!

@kaush666 - all the best! I'm sure it's just a simple fix!

Regards,
Aayush
Old 13th August 2018, 16:44   #1504
BHPian

Had the FNG come over and inspect the vehicle. As of now the problem seems to be the fuel pump. The supply in the fuel lines seems to be cut off / blocked. The garage has arranged for the vehicle to be towed on the flatbed as there is little to no room to work with at my apartment. Will update here as and when things progress.
kaush666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 22:31   #1505
BHPian

After what seems to be five very long days, the Polo is finally back to life. The fuel pump replacement was not necessary at all. The FNG drained all the existing diesel, flushed the tank and tried starting the vehicle after filling another 10 litres of diesel and voila - the Polo cranked to life. The culprit seems to be water in diesel / poor quality diesel. Funny, since I’ve always been filling up at the same gas station. Fuel pump was also removed and inspected and according to one of the ex-VW service advisors at the garage, it seemed to be in good shape.

All said and done, the problem of the disappearing engine oil is yet to be addressed. Had a 20km TD today and there seems to be no difference in acceleration or any other signs of problems during normal driving. I’m comntemplating taking the vehicle to Ignite (one of the top rated garages on Team-BHP) to check what the problem could be.

OT: This is the first time in the last 10 years of modern car ownership (we had a humble Alto before that followed by a Punto, Global Fiesta & a Compass) that my car has not started due to a non-battery issue.
kaush666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 10:23   #1506

Can anyone suggest a solution for the rear wiper blade to cover the complete area without bending? Since the pressure point is on the middle, the rear wiper blade tends to bend upwards and won't touch the glass towards the outside edge. I tried bending the blade the other way, but it comes back to its earlier position after a few hours. I changed the blade too, still the same problem.
Old 29th August 2018, 12:13   #1507
BHPian

Hi,

A quick question regarding the idling of a 2015 Polo MPi. I dropped the car in yesterday for the 3rd annual servicing (45k?) with the following issues :

1. Idle RPM is higher than usual at 1100
2. ABS light lit up.

The SA claims that the high idle RPM is due to the the faulty ABS sensors (both rear sensors are kaput) and is of the opinion that there is nothing they can do to rectify the issue without changing the faulty sensors which cost approx 4500 a piece.

The current ODO is at 21K and the vehicle is a March 2015 Highline variant.

Can a faulty ABS sensor increase the idle RPM? As far as i can remeber the idling issue was present 2 months before the ABS issue cropped up. I had replaced the front left ABS sensor lat year in September after which the front right one conked off within 50kms of driving which was also then replaced with a new one.

SA claims that VCDS scan does not show any other error apart from the ABS error.

I intend to source the sensors myself and get it done at a competent FNG. Has anyone faced a similar issue?

Regards,
Anoop
Old 30th August 2018, 14:51   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.u View Post
Hi,
A quick question regarding the idling of a 2015 Polo MPi. I dropped the car in yesterday for the 3rd annual servicing ....
Regards,
Anoop

So, got the vehicle back yesterday with the idling issue magically resolved, or atleast that is what the SA claims.

Also got the part numbers for the rear ABS sensors, posting it here incase anyone needs it :

1. Rear Left: WHT003863
2. Rear Right: WHT003862

On a related note, servicing at VASS seems to be getting dearer costlier.

I ended up paying Rs. 9318 for the 3rd year servicing, that too after opting out of the unnecessary items like a/c disinfection, windshield fluid etc.

Regards,
Anoop
Old 20th September 2018, 11:28   #1509

Hi Guys,

My Polo 1.2 Petrol Trendline is now 6 years new (as its run only 41000 km till now) and is asking for the annual service (the irritating INSP blinker whenever you turn the car on).

I don't want to go to the VW Workshops now.

1. Can someone please help me with a multi-service workshop who is trustworthy and around Mulund/Bhandup/Kanjurmarg/Powai/Vikhroli/Ghatkopar area??

2. The lock on the boot has also broken and not functioning - I have had to tie up the boot with a thread so it doesn't open. Can someone advise on a trustworthy door lock service workshop/mechanic in these areas?

ANy help would really be appreciated.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 25th September 2018, 14:42   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone given their vehicle to PPS motors in Nagawara?

Since it is closer to my residence, thought of trying out instead of VW Whitefield if it has good reviews.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/....6255888?hl=en
Old 6th October 2018, 00:10   #1511
BHPian

I had a terrible experience during last months' service of my Polo TDI.

I gave it for the routine annual service at EVM Passenger Cars, Trivandrum on 30th August for 6th annual service. The car did not have any issues and it was just supposed to be a routine annual service. All services of the car had been done to date at EVM Trivandrum dealership.The car is driven absolutely very well without any underbody or external damage.

The service advisor (SA1) attended my car at 9:15 and took notes for the regular service. I left the service centre by 9:40. At around 10:30 SA1 calls me and says that the oil sump drain thread is loose and the newly added oil is leaking. He said that the thread of the oil sump drain may not be fitting with the new drain plug. I was very surprised since the vehicle is in top condition and there is no oil leak ever observed.

I asked specifically how the oil sump drain plug can leak. He first said it is a 2012 “old” model and the new plug may not be fitting properly. I asked him to check with the older oil plug and he said that too was leaking. I told him that I cannot understand how a perfectly sealed oil sump drain plug suddenly became loose.

He then stated that this is a wear and tear issue. I firmly stated that this is not a wear and tear or running repair issue. The drain bolt would have been opened 6 times by EVM Trivandrum dealership mechanics in the last 6 years. How can screwing/unscrewing the oil drain bolt 6 times cause a thread damage in the oil sump ?

He did not give a clear answer on how this damage to thread is possible. He then tried to tell me that its an aluminium engine block and this happens! I can't believe he is telling such a absurd justification. Aluminium engine blocks are used in all cars and the only way a damage is possible is by human negligence. I am sure Volkswagen does not build shoddy engine blocks.

I told him that it is very evident that such damage is possible only by a cross thread or higher torque applied while tightening the bolt. This is clearly due to a novice mechanic causing damage by incorrect tool usage.

I asked him for the solution. He told that only option to fix is to replace the oil sump. That is a cost of nearly 18,000/- I said I will not be bearing any cost to fix something broken by the dealer. I asked him to check if this can be replaced by goodwill or any other means. He said he will get back to me.

SA1 called me later in the evening asking if they can fix it by taking it to a lathe!! I said Absolutely not. I am not going to allow any kind of shoddy temporary work on my car and that too outside the workshop on an engine part. He said he will get back to me.

I got a call the next day morning from another SA - SA2. He started telling me that I had given my car for service the day before and there is a problem with the oil sump and that has to be replaced. He went on to state that the car has had body work repair done due to multiple accident damages and there were underbody damages due to accidents. He stated that the leak was possibly due to the accident damages !

I had the shock of my life since my car has never ever had an accident (touch wood). There are only very minor paint scratches (not even visible) and the car has always been driven really very well. I asked him to double confirm the vehicle registration number. He replied that he checked and it was correct. I said I am absolutely sure there is never a body work done. He said he will get back to me in 5 minutes.

I along with a friend went directly to EVM Trivandrum service centre and I demanded that the car be raised on the fork lift to see what the damage is.There was absolutely no damage in any part of the under body. Attached is the picture of the oil leak at the bolt. You can see there is not even a scratch around.

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20180831_120804111.jpg

SA2 said that he made a mistake and mixed up the papers from another car !! He was joined by the Service Manager - SM who also said that it was their mistake. He confirmed that my car never had any accidental damage and they mixed up. I spent 2hrs of my working time due to oversight by two senior staff of EVM?

I am absolutely horrified that EVM Trivandrum tried to pass it on to me as an accidental repair. It is a clear foul play. If it was some other customer, they would have believed this absurd story.

SM told me that they will fix it. He said the normal process is for taking it to a lathe and drilling the thread again. I said I am not sure how long that will last. He assured that such a process will be leak free and he would guarantee that. I said I do not believe that taking it to the lathe and fixing is a standard approved process by Volkswagen. He said it is. I told him and SA2 that I can accept any fix as long as it has the approval of Volkswagen.

There was no calls from the dealer for a couple of days. In the meantime I checked with my friends at other dealerships and they confirmed that this damage is possible mostly by cross threading. They assured me that fixing the thread is quite normal.

After couple of days SA1 calls me again and said that they will fix it by correcting the thread. This essentially meant that they will remove the oil sump, take it to a lathe, correct the thread and remount by applying the sealant. The CRM sent me an email beating around the bush stating they ordered parts and will fix as per VW norms and they will take care of any related issues. I replied stating my understanding of their fix and that they would be responsible for future issues around the oil drain plug.

Finally got my car back after a week and feeling quite jittery ever since with the thought my car in a pool of oil .

I did not get the service invoice until a couple of weeks of follow up. They had to find a way to work around the bill amount pertaining to the fix (sealant, lathe and labor). I also had to persist to get a remark added to the job card about this thread correction.

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-untitled.jpg
kutts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 09:41   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
I had a terrible experience during last months' service of my Polo TDI.

I In the meantime I checked with my friends at other dealerships and they confirmed that this damage is possible mostly by cross threading. They assured me that fixing the thread is quite normal.
The damage, as you said, is caused by cross-fitting of the drain bolt by a novice technician. I have myself made this kind of damage 5 years back on my motorcycle while doing a DIY job. I took it to the lathe shop and the guy made a sleeve that would fit a new bolt on the damaged cavity. This is pretty normal incident and workshops never even inform customers.
You are lucky that your dealer informed you about this but they had the audacity to charge you for the sealant and stuff used to fix that problem!! Not at all acceptable. Hope you have not paid a penny for the damage done by them?
Old 6th October 2018, 13:11   #1513
BHPian

Nope. I did not pay anything for this work. They had to include it in the bill for some reasons, but they gave me a separate invoice that had these marked at zero rate.
Old 6th October 2018, 13:17   #1514
Distinguished - BHPian

A novice who is so novice as to cross-thread or overtighten a bolt in an expensive component should not be working on customers' cars at a dealer service station. Are we paying high prices for idiots to touch our cars?

(Sadly, the answer is probably yes)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 21:43   #1515
BHPian

Anyone is aware of the escalation matrix Volkswagen Service concerns? (If something like that exists).

I had sent the following email to ASC and customer care.

Quote:

Dear Sir,

At the outset, I would like to inform you that I am an unfortunate owner of the VW Polo (2016) model presently residing in Mumbai. I feel this way not because of the car, but due to pathetic service received from your authorized service viz. Autobahn (Kurla) which sadly comes as a default choice for me due to its proximity from BKC.

The reason for this rant is not from a one-off incident, but a cumulative effect of experience from -3- visits I had in this workshop. I know I will receive one so-called ‘service quality check’ call three months from now, but I need to write this to truly express my dissatisfaction on how things are carried out at this place and how VW has no control to ensure uniform service quality across their ASCs.

Coming to the latest incident, I had booked an appointment for scheduled -6- months checkup on 14th*November 2018 at 11:30 AM. On the said day, a personnel from VW Kurla picked up my car from office at the scheduled time. This is the only thing which was done professionally from their part. Usually, they give a call within 1-2 hours after getting the vehicle. As I didn’t get any response from them even after 4 PM, I tried to call him. The operator who picked had no idea whether they have received my vehicle or not. Further, she asked me to wait for some time stating*there were some ‘issues’ with manpower.As I had to arrange a commute from the office and it is difficult to get any cab during peak hours from BKC, I left the office before getting any satisfactory reply. Around 5 PM, I received a message from VW stating that they have received the vehicle and it had been assigned to SA Mr Mithun Gowda. Shortly after, I got a call from him expressing his inability to deliver vehicle on the same day. I explained to him about a problem I face with the vehicle during cold starts. He assured that it will be checked and sorted out this time.

Fast forward to next day, I tried calling Mr Mithun on his mobile from the morning. He picked up once and said it is under work and he would revert with an update. Soon after he had completely stopped responding to my calls. As I was tired of this unprofessional behaviour from him, I called on the office number to connect him. Every time the operator lady who picked the call asked me to wait and responded with a statement ‘he will call back’ which he never did. After wasting a couple of hours on this pursuit, I threaten to escalate the issue with higher authorities after which I immediately got his on another end. Mr Mithun responded that the things had been ‘resolved’ and I can collect my vehicle by 5:30-6:00 PM. He also informed me of one more ‘issue’. The car cannot be washed because of that ‘issue’, but he will get it cleaned normally. Considering the mental torture involved in arguing with him, I asked him to go ahead with that. Once I reached the service centre he informed me that the battery is weak and it needs to be replaced. He also suggested to procure it from outside for longer warranty. I wonder what he meant by ‘resolved’ in his previous call.Then came another ‘issue’, the bill cannot be generated.As a person who meticulously maintains service records, I had observed that I had not received any bill for my last visit stating the same reason. I paid Rs.1200 and received a handwritten receipt for payment. Once I got my vehicle, I noticed that cleaning was done for namesake. Nevertheless, I was happy that I have got my car back without further delay.But the real shocker happened today morning when I started my car. It showed ‘INSP’ warning with 0 days for next service. As the vehicle was already in on state when I received yesterday, I did not notice this. Resetting the service reminder is one basic thing SA does with every service. This made me wonder whether they have actually done any checkup or simply sent back my car after a lousy cleaning. Considering the unprofessional behaviour from the entire team later is a real possibility.Last time when I gave my car for part replacement in September 2017, they kept me in dark for a month without responding to my calls. I had to visit the service centre personally to get an update.

Looking back on my last experience I wonder why VW made it an authorized service centre for its well-built vehicles. The downfall of this company is not going to happen because of lack of investment or new models, but the deep impression left on the existing customers by ASCs like Autobahn, Kurla. The service provided by these centers are pathetic to say the least and full potential of your cars are ruined by them. Being someone who is completely in love with your cars, I really hope things will be sorted before it is too late.

I have escalated this matter to Autobahn service centre and the service desk assured me to send an personnel today to reset the service reminder. This might stop the irritating alert at vehicle start, but my doubt that they have done any actual check up still holds.

Note: Wow. As expected they didn't keep their word this time as well. Maybe they are expecting me to follow up continuously until they turn up. As they say, some habits die hard. So I'm forced to send this mail.

Yours faithfully,

Last edited by WhiteFang : 16th November 2018 at 21:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks