Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2019, 08:37   #1576
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Hi Guys,
My Polo right side orvm cap got hit to a pillar during a tight parking. As a result the plastic cover has come out of the casing, the internals are working fine. Can anyone let me know where I can fix this? VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20191029_081745.jpg
Old 29th October 2019, 16:01   #1577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
My Polo right side orvm cap got hit to a pillar during a tight parking. ...
Oh dear. As repairs are seldom actually impossible, I hesitate to suggest that the only route is replacement. But it would take some skilled glueing, filling, and original-VW-painting to make that shell look new again.

Step 1: get the replacement estimate from your dealer. See how big a shock that is before considering step 2.

I'm thinking that you want your car to look pristine, and I think replacement is the price you will have to pay.
Old 29th October 2019, 17:38   #1578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
My Polo right side orvm cap got hit to a pillar during a tight parking. As a result the plastic cover has come out of the casing, the internals are working fine. Can anyone let me know where I can fix this?
If You approach the dealerships they would change the whole assembly and the part will not normally be available off the shelf.
Check with them if they have the casing that could be salvaged from another damaged assembly ( need great rapport for that to happen though)
Old 29th October 2019, 18:49   #1579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
My Polo right side orvm cap got hit to a pillar during a tight parking. As a result the plastic cover has come out of the casing, the internals are working fine. Can anyone let me know where I can fix this?
The part is quite expensive - see here (My Lieblingswagen - 2015 VW Polo MPi Comfortline) - and unfortunately, the casing is not a child part. This may have changed in the last couple of years but I doubt it.
Old 30th October 2019, 08:17   #1580
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
My Polo right side orvm cap got hit to a pillar during a tight parking. As a result the plastic cover has come out of the casing, the internals are working fine.
Driver side OVRM Black colour cover cost may around 1000 rupees though passenger side is available for 300 rupees as it comes under accessories list. Red colour may be little expensive. You can replace it with Black colour on both side.
msiva75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 23:18   #1581

Hello all, I have a peculiar problem with my 2015 polo 1.5 TDI, which has done about 47000 kms. The clutch has become extremely hard and makes a squeaking sound when ever it's pressed.

When I checked with the service centre, without checking the clutch they blindly said that the entire clutch assembly including flywheel needs to be changed.

I haven't experienced any clutch burn smell nor is there any difference in the way the car drives, there's no drop in performance as well.

What could be the issue here?
Old 1st November 2019, 00:08   #1582
Senior - BHPian

A squeaking sound on pressing the clutch points to a worn out release bearing. The clutch hardness could be due to worn out pressure plate or even contaminated clutch hydraulic fluid.

Try getting the clutch fluid flushes and replaced and if it does not help then you will need a new clutch set. VW usually changed the entire set including the flywheel.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 17:10   #1583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
A squeaking sound on pressing the clutch points to a worn out release bearing. The clutch hardness could be due to worn out pressure plate or even contaminated clutch hydraulic fluid.

Try getting the clutch fluid flushes and replaced and if it does not help then you will need a new clutch set. VW usually changed the entire set including the flywheel.
Thank you for the information, will try following what you mentioned, I hope that solves the issue. If not I’ll have no other option apart from replacing the clutch assembly.

In a friend’s polo they only replaced the clutch plate, they skimmed the flywheel and retained it.
Old 3rd November 2019, 12:23   #1584
BHPian

I'm trying to find out if someone has faced this problem, and how they managed to rectify it properly. Am listing down the symptoms below. I appreciate opinions, but I would appreciate it immensely if someone who actually faced this and resolved it would reply.

1. ABS sensor fails, turning ABS/ESP warning lights on
2. ABS triggers even under light braking, but very rarely. Wheels are nowhere near lockup when it triggers.
3. Instrument cluster shows random information (like wrong gear, wrong speed) or resets itself at random.

I'm trying to understand this because this happened to a friend's four cylinder diesel and now it has happened with my automatic as well. Is this a common/known problem?
Old 3rd November 2019, 12:44   #1585
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post
I'm trying to find out if someone has faced this problem, and how they managed to rectify it properly. Am listing down the symptoms below. I appreciate opinions, but I would appreciate it immensely if someone who actually faced this and resolved it would reply.

1. ABS sensor fails, turning ABS/ESP warning lights on

2. ABS triggers even under light braking, but very rarely. Wheels are nowhere near lockup when it triggers.

3. Instrument cluster shows random information (like wrong gear, wrong speed) or resets itself at random.

I'm trying to understand this because this happened to a friend's four cylinder diesel and now it has happened with my automatic as well. Is this a common/known problem?

The ABS could have its own problem. But When instrument clusters go wonky and other peculiar random indications start showing up the first suspect is always the battery and the power supply.

When voltage starts dropping you will see all sort of random faults happening on most modern cars. The supply voltage can drop due to the battery being poor. So have the battery tested. Or to a higher resistance in the supply voltage circuit. So check terminals for corrosion, earth points and fuses.

Good luck

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 3rd November 2019 at 12:53.
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 12:48   #1586
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this is usual. There are more serious issues like the car entering limp mode. All these are due to the faulty wheel speed sensor, it detects the speed wrong and sends the car crazy. What I have noticed it is that, this 'crazy' mode is when the ABS light goes off in the cluster after a while. If it remained on, there was no issue, as the sensor wasn't working at all.

Immediate solution: Switch off the car completely. Wait. Switch it back on. Will resolve almost 80% of times.

Final solution: Replace the ABS sensor, Rs.4500 at the service center and Rs.1500 to Rs.3000 at FNGs. Do not try to clean the sensor and all, it will eventually fail.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 14:04   #1587
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
My Polo right side orvm cap got hit to a pillar during a tight parking. As a result the plastic cover has come out of the casing, the internals are working fine. Can anyone let me know where I can fix this? Attachment 1927875
Buy just the Black cover and get it re-painted to Red. This i believe is the most cheapest solution.
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 20:30   #1588
BHPian

Thanks all for the replies.
The service centre got the black ones and repainted it to red. Charged me 1200rs.
However the mechanic at Apple auto Vw were inept to fit it properly. After lot of trying the cover was able to lock on. I still have my doubts though.
redcruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 14:00   #1589
BHPian

Thanks so much for your replies. Short version: one front ABS sensor replaced @ Rs 2600, problem solved. Individual replies below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The ABS could have its own problem. But When instrument clusters go wonky and other peculiar random indications start showing up the first suspect is always the battery and the power supply.

When voltage starts dropping you will see all sort of random faults happening on most modern cars. The supply voltage can drop due to the battery being poor. So have the battery tested. Or to a higher resistance in the supply voltage circuit. So check terminals for corrosion, earth points and fuses.

Good luck

Jeroen
Checked the water levels in my battery, they're full. The other car gets used for a 5.5 km run, two ways, at least twice a week. I hope this problem doesn't recur now - mechanic says it went all wonky because it was a front sensor, which contributes to the traction control and ESP as well. But it doesn't satisfactorily explain the meter cluster's strange behaviour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Yes, this is usual. There are more serious issues like the car entering limp mode. All these are due to the faulty wheel speed sensor, it detects the speed wrong and sends the car crazy. What I have noticed it is that, this 'crazy' mode is when the ABS light goes off in the cluster after a while. If it remained on, there was no issue, as the sensor wasn't working at all.

Immediate solution: Switch off the car completely. Wait. Switch it back on. Will resolve almost 80% of times.

Final solution: Replace the ABS sensor, Rs.4500 at the service center and Rs.1500 to Rs.3000 at FNGs. Do not try to clean the sensor and all, it will eventually fail.
Had done the switching off/on - it worked once, only for the lights to turn on again a few km after driving off. The lights came on around 25km into a drive, actually - while I was driving. The car wasn't stopped.
Old 5th November 2019, 14:30   #1590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Checked the water levels in my battery, they're full. T But it doesn't satisfactorily explain the meter cluster's strange behaviour.
That is good, but it doesn’t say much about the state of battery. For that you need to have at least a multimeter and take readings of the battery with the engine off, idling and starting. Better yet, a proper battery tester which will tell you immediately whether the battery is at it’s last legs.

But let’s hope it was somehow related to the other problem. If the sensor was bad, maybe it was short circuiting and it might have caused all sort of other issues.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks