Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2020, 18:01   #1651
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Hey guys, so i recently purchased a pre-owned Dec 2015 polo 1.2 mpi highline.

The original 4 year warranty elapsed in Dec 2019 and the previous owner has opted for an add-on warranty for one year from Dec 2019 to Dec 2020. At the time of purchasing the warranty, Volkswagen had conveyed that the owner shall be eligible to purchase add on warranty for a total of 7 years by renewing it each year.

As a preventive measure, I visited the Volkswagen workshop (Volkswagen Downtown Sewri) with a prior appointment to extend my warranty. Upon meeting the service advisor, he informed that the add on warranty can ONLY be purchased ONCE, which was a complete surprise.

He further went on to explain that after the end of the 4 year warranty, an owner can opt for plus 3 years together or plus 1 year. To this i relented saying that the plus 3 year option was never provided and it was promised that add on warranty for one year would be provided for the next three years.

Now I'm stuck in a limbo with Volkswagen going back on their word. However, unfortunately, I do not have their promise of three years on record, hence its my word against theirs.

Has anyone renewed their warranty beyond 5 years for a 2015 make car? Please help.

As I understand, the warranty certificate is provided by Volkswagen India itself and hence the dealer from whom it is taken would not matter.

Please help!

Just FYI, here are a few pictures of the car. Have bought the whole kit to correct the paint and detail it, hence better pictures coming soon.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20200705_204407.jpg  

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20200705_204533.jpg  

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20200706_101634.jpg  

seedyk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 21:01   #1652
BANNED

Gentlemen, my 1.5 TDi has done around 1.2 lac kms. Today we noticed a strange thing at service station.

Even after stopping the car, the coolant tank had got itself overflowing as soon as we touched the cap. The service guy said the term as “reverse flow” of coolant, and it’s abnormal, he suggested that this can be the sign of:
1) Pump failure
2) Head damage
3) Maybe nothing

Guys, please suggest how to proceed ahead with this case. The car is still under extended warranty with complete service history being clean and timely.
Old 16th July 2020, 20:42   #1653
BANNED

Finally the car is back after the service and some insurance work too. This time they have charged me some big bucks. But I am still fine with the same.

Clutch was replaced, entire front suspension replaced, brake pads replaced, wipers replaced, AMC taken (That makes my next service also free), dry cleaning done, complete service done, and a small insurance claim. So far, the bill stood as follows - and I find it reasonable for all the work they have done, these VW Gurugram service center guys actually know their stuff, and they know where to make the customer save and where to make them spend:
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-vw-bills.jpeg

Last edited by VKumar : 16th July 2020 at 20:44.
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 15:11   #1654
BHPian

Hello There,
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Clutch was replaced, entire front suspension replaced, brake pads replaced, wipers replaced,

Can you please break down the cost of the clutch and suspension replacement?
Just to be aware of the cost of the components.
Old 29th July 2020, 09:46   #1655
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have been observing a lot of black soot on the front alloy wheels with front disk brakes. My guess is that it is due to brake dust.

Is this thing common? Or is there a problem which I need to address??
Old 29th July 2020, 11:09   #1656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Hi Guys,

I have been observing a lot of black soot on the front alloy wheels with front disk brakes. My guess is that it is due to brake dust.

Very common esp. in Polo. Have to pressure wash every month. And then brakes will start to squeak
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 11:14   #1657
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

This is common. With time, you'll also notice shuddering, which is common too. The culprit are locally sourced brake discs that are extensively discussed in the Official review thread.
GrandTourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 11:17   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Very common esp. in Polo. Have to pressure wash every month. And then brakes will start to squeak
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
This is common. With time, you'll also notice shuddering, which is common too.
Thanks guys, I was worried about a major service cost.

@ GrandTourer, I think the shuddering is due to ABS sensor. I dont experience this at all. Suggest get your ABS sensor checked, I experienced this just a couple of days before ABS sensor failed.
Old 29th July 2020, 12:33   #1659
BHPian

Quote:
@ GrandTourer, I think the shuddering is due to ABS sensor. I dont experience this at all. Suggest get your ABS sensor checked, I experienced this just a couple of days before ABS sensor failed.
Yes, I got that tested when the shuddering occurred. However, the disc was warped which used to cause shuddering when braking from 60-70+ kmph. Got the disc skimmed once which solved it for a long time. Now it's starting to rear it's ugly head again. Cannot skim the disc repeatedly as that will risk performance. Will look for a disc change in third year service.

A lot of post 2015 Polos face this issue because VW started sourcing discs and pads from TVS. Earlier models had German made discs I believe.

Make sure when you power wash the wheels, the brake dust doesn't settle back on the disc. That's a major cause from warping. It's a vicious circle
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 11:48   #1660
BHPian

Hi Guys,
This is a noob question... I have a 2018 GT TSI and I'm really confused about the headlight configuration whether it's an H4 or H7. The manual is not very clear since it covers all variants of Polo, Vento & Ameo.
I read that H7 is a single filament and H4 is twin filament, so since mine is a double barrel, it should be H7 (one each for high and low beams), right?

Also, should I go for Osram Night Breaker Laser or Philips Extreme Vision? Or any other, if you guys have used it personally?

Thanks.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 11:55   #1661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
I read that H7 is a single filament and H4 is twin filament, so since mine is a double barrel, it should be H7 (one each for high and low beams), right?

Thanks.
I was also in a similar situation for my Linea. The stock high beam bulb on the dual barrel head lamp fused. I was also not sure of the variant to buy. So, got it replaced at ASS. The stock one was a Osram, Made in Germany now replaced by a Ricambi Originali, Made in Hungary.

Easy and sure way out would be to pull out the existing one to see if it is H4 or H7.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 15:12   #1662
Distinguished - BHPian

There should be a box with two spares supplied with the car. Easier to see these than to remove working headlight.

Remember not to touch them or any halogen lamp with skin.
Old 18th August 2020, 19:32   #1663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There should be a box with two spares supplied with the car. Easier to see these than to remove working headlight.
Except my Tata, neither the Ford, Chevrolet or Fiat came with spare bulbs :(
Not sure about other manufacturers if they give. I think Maruti gives though.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 15:55   #1664
BHPian

Today went to the showroom for ABS replacement. I had went to the showroom for the diagnosis of the sensor on August 6 and was told 2 weeks delay as the parts were not available. Now after 1 month and 1 week the part finally reached and the car was dropped. Also this is my 3rd replacement of the ABS sensor over the past 3 and half years. All done via warranty. Now the warranty expires this december and what can be done after that?
What is the actual cost of the sensor if changed from outside the showroom?

Also, seriously this ABS sensor issue is very much often in VW cars. There were a dozen of ABS cases pending at the showroom. Even with high frequency of failures they fail to provide the parts on time. Delaying more than 5 weeks. Last time also there was a delay of 1 month. Why don't they recall and solve the issue? Is there any legal possibility to end this?
Please provide your inputs on the issue.
Old 15th September 2020, 20:20   #1665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ABTorquey View Post
What is the actual cost of the sensor if changed from outside the showroom?
Rs.4,396 for my 2014 GTI TD at the dealer. Plus the labour. Not a huge amount of money, although it is tiny part.

You are unlucky. I have only had the one failure over two cars and around eight years.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks