Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2020, 21:04   #1636
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

My brother's Polo 1.2 GT TSI had its 30K (second) service done (it has run only 15K, but has completed two years) two days back and the total bill was 19K!

It looks like they charge based on the vehicle category. It is also contrary to the claim advertised by Volkswagen that their service costs have been slashed significantly. This also underpins the fact that Volkswagen/Polo GT TSI is not a car that is easy on the pocket.

BTW, he was also saying the dealership has not yet sent the details for the 5th year extended warranty (recently advertised by them for all their existing cars), which he asked during the service interaction.

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-84f247a62b3d405083a540a89e08f313.jpg

However, on my Verna 1.5 VGT for its 120K service, I managed to keep it within 15K, having all essentials done and omitting other extras like 'fuel additive', 'injector cleaner' etc.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GT TSI 30K service cost breakup.pdf (2.75 MB, 1042 views)
Old 6th June 2020, 22:16   #1637
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheermk View Post
My brother's Polo 1.2 GT TSI had its 30K (second) service done (it has run only 15K, but has completed two years) two days back and the total bill was 19K!
Once bitten twice shy. Next year, he should make sure that everything is specified and approved: no ac disinfectant, no germclean, wiper blades only if specified, and so on. Take the bill and point out the things not wanted this time.

A few items might get struck off at payment time if he complains that he never wanted and never asked for them, but better to be sure at the start.

Two years ago, I had a pre-approved price. Guess what... plus taxes, sir! Last year I remembered to make sure it included the taxes.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 22:30   #1638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Once bitten twice shy. Next year, he should make sure that everything is specified and approved: no ac disinfectant, no germclean, wiper blades only if specified, and so on. Take the bill and point out the things not wanted this time.
True. Mostly he will do it himself next time, since he was not too happy with the bill this time. But this time, he also did not want to take a risk, due to the current Covid situation, and approved for the disinfectant/germclean services, when the Service Advisor asked. But still, I am beginning to think, those 'extra' services are what these people actually make money on!
zaheermk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 22:57   #1639
Distinguished - BHPian

4200 can be knocked out straightaway disinfectant, germkleen, 140 rupees for nitrogen filling and so on, my SA knows me so well now that he does not even ask me for all this, he did not even ask me changing brake pads this time as he knew I will go after market, just told me that they might need attention.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 23:28   #1640
Distinguished - BHPian

Years ago, they used to sell these treatments as extras... and then they started to sneak them in as part of the "standard" service. It isn't right that they do that, but if we aware, I think most service advisers won't mind us striking it off the list. If they don't mind striking that stuff off, which is usually a waste anyway, then I don't mind them getting extras that I want. I don't mind giving them body work to do, and they do it well. If I save up a dent until service time, I can easily get a bill over 20k, including tinkering and painting. But that's fine because it was my choice.

This is going to be an expensive Polo year for me, because I intend to have new tyres: I guess the current ones must be six years old now. I will buy locally, though.
Old 8th June 2020, 09:33   #1641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
4200 can be knocked out straightaway disinfectant, germkleen, 140 rupees for nitrogen filling and so on...
Right. But as I mentioned above, it is due to the current situation, that he did not want to take a risk. And the way the SA puts it, "Sir, it is a new arrival, a very good disinfectant. Since you have a kid, why take a risk, Sir?" and you are like eager to opt for it. But again, that Nitrogen filling, which all fuel stations offer for free these days, they had the guts to charge ₹140! My brother said he didn't say anything, since he didn't want to create a scene there. But if it was me, I would have asked about it and politely warned him not to charge that again.

Quote:
Years ago, they used to sell these treatments as extras... and then they started to sneak them in as part of the "standard" service. It isn't right that they do that, but if we aware, I think most service advisers won't mind us striking it off the list...
Yes, I remember, long back, they used to ask and try to 'sell' these extras..., but these days, they have started simply adding them saying that these are 'required' for major services, and only if we object, they cancel them, that too, with a pathetic look in their eyes... some trick they use to extract money! Along with rising costs, maintaining a car is becoming increasingly difficult on the pocket these days, especially if you are getting it serviced at manufacturer authorised service stations.

Quote:
...I don't mind giving them body work to do, and they do it well. If I save up a dent until service time, I can easily get a bill over 20k, including tinkering and painting. But that's fine because it was my choice.
About body work getting done at these MASS, I am not sure, I give it at a FNG/third party. I have had the opportunity to work/train for a month at a MASS (not mentioning the brand/dealer here, to keep up their privacy) which was part of a six months certificate course in Automobile Service Engineering, that I had done after my engineering graduation. During that period, I got to see and experience how these so called MASS works. For major body works, they themselves gave cars to third party workshops outside. So, I thought, why should I pay these MASS a margin and get it done, why couldn’t I give it directly to the third party?!

I am not elaborating, but many incidents of foul play happened there where I did my one month training (well, not anything that can break your car down immediately, but….) . I am not claiming that all MASSs work similarly, but ever since, I am not comfortable sitting in the customer lounge when I give my car for service and venture out into workshop area near my car, now and then. I could clearly see that my SA was not too happy about this and had requested me many times to wait at the lounge, to which once, I gently called him aside and told him in private “if you are not letting me inside the workshop near my car, then I am not bringing my car here next time”. After that he has not told me anything. I also make it a point not to make the technician working on my car uncomfortable and not to be a hindrance for his work.
zaheermk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 11:08   #1642

Last week while I was cleaning the wheels of my 2019 19k kms driven polo Gt tdi, I noticed the condition of the brake pads and remembered the service advisor telling me that they were good for another 2k kms at the time of 1st service with the odo reading 13.5k kms. I immediately went to nearest automobile store and bought a pair of oem brake pads for 1.5k with same part number and got them installed at a friend's garage. It was a 5 minutes job for him. I avoided asc as didn't have a day or half to spare for a brake pad change.

I also noticed that the pads on the right wheel had a bit more life left on them, what might be the reason for this uneven wear of the pads? Is this common? Or is this due to my driving style? Please throw some light on this.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20200606_111816.jpg  

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th June 2020 at 11:10. Reason: Edited for spacing and punctuation.
Old 16th June 2020, 15:27   #1643
Senior - BHPian

Did anybody have to replace the ignition key cylinder set? Does it have to come from Germany?

Many times, the key gets stuck at the last 'START' engine stage and won't turn again, failing to ignite the engine. After a few more tries, it may sometime start the engine. It's like similar to steering lock but it's not the steering lock itself as the key always moves to the 'ACC' position.

VW service says the part is imported and due to lockdown it can get indefinitely delayed! It's a 2014 Polo petrol.
Old 16th June 2020, 18:24   #1644
BHPian

Does anybody know how to apply for the extended warranty offered by VW?

I have a Vento TSi, bought in August 2016, and would like to apply for it before 4 years get over. Also, could someone tell me about the extent of coverage of parts under warranty? I'm wondering if, say, suspension parts get covered.
Old 18th June 2020, 21:48   #1645
BHPian

Got the Polo's 4 year servicing done today. Final bill came to ~INR 13500 including 1200 for wheel alignment and balancing. Satisfied with the service overall, but the covid scare kept me on the edge. The dealership seems to want to do everything right, but there's always a few "non-compliant" folks here and there. It's tough to expect them to keep their masks on for 9 straight hours, but the times are rather demanding.

Saw 3 employees spit, and many were walking with their masks removed. The guys with beards were especially troubled by their masks and were frequently removing it and fidgeting with their beards. I made these points known and was assured that they'll look into it. All one can do is keep your own mask on, stay away from people and don't touch your face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
Does anybody know how to apply for the extended warranty offered by VW? ...
... if, say, suspension parts get covered.
I picked up the 1 year extended warranty for my car at ~INR 8400. The dealership is running a discount it seems and the non-discounted price is 4k higher. You can contact your preferred VW Service center and enquire about the extended warranty. They'll probably need a physical inspection and they'll go through your service history as well. The application for warranty extension then goes to VW directly who approve based on the cars condition.

The warranty does not cover suspension parts as they get counted as a wear and tear item. Engine, ECM, transmission, brake fluid line, steering and electricals are covered. I think most of the non-wear and tear parts get covered.
MegaWhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 13:16   #1646
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Last week I serviced my Polo Diesel (2016) for its 3rd annual service or 45k. it had covered just 35.5k kms and had an issue with it engine coolant. The color of the coolant had changed and it was in a brownish shade. I noticed it before the lockdown as one time the radiator warning came up and after inspection the coolant level had gone down below minimum. Waited for half an hour and filled with distilled water. Took it for inspection to a nearby garage and they told it is because of the rust or other particles and should be changed. Then came the lockdown and the work got delayed.

Finally, got it serviced last week. Now, the bill came at Rs 15k. The breakup was
Rs 3400 for the coolant change and coolant tank (they told it had a leakage)
Rs 11500 for the service.
Now, this surely is a steep premium over the other brands. The only thing I hate about VW is their premium price for their parts and service. Why do they charge this much? Don't they want a middle class customer to afford their cars. If it would have been a Maruti or a Hyundai the cost would be less than 10k. I believe and that is the reason they outsell this German by a HUGE margin.

One question I have is they charged nearly 1k for AC disinfectant. Can someone please explain this and is it really necessary?
I am thinking of finding a good FNG for the service but don't have a good one around my locality and the local garage don't want to service a VW.
Does anyone from Kannur or Calicut, Kerala know a good Garage in the area please let me know.

Regards,
AB
Old 25th June 2020, 14:50   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ABTorquey View Post

One question I have is they charged nearly 1k for AC disinfectant. Can someone please explain this and is it really necessary?
I am thinking of finding a good FNG for the service but don't have a good one around my locality and the local garage don't want to service a VW.
The best way is the tell the SA beforehand not to include anything on the service tasks without your permission. Workshops have a tendency to charge you for such tidbits like Disinfectant and washer fluid topups to increase their revenue. So , point blank, ask the service advisor to not carry out anyrhing without calling you first. You then pay only for what you want.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 15:16   #1648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
So , point blank, ask the service advisor to not carry out anyrhing without calling you first. You then pay only for what you want.
They will say it is part of the standard service, so you have to go further than this. You have to learn by experience (or, cheaper, the experiences of others here ) and positively exclude items such as AC "disinfect." Now that the service items are no longer published, they can define standard!

Washer top-up probably is on the standard list. I don't mind: the additive they use is good, and they give me the rest of the bottle.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 13:35   #1649
BHPian

Hello everyone

I have bought Polo GT TDI on 14/02/2020 and completed my first free service in march according to schedule (1000kms/1 month).

Everything was normal till i got phone calls from Volkswagen service that, the car is due for 15,000kms/12months service, failing which, warranty claims in future will be denied. I have explained to them that, the car had been purchased only 4 months back and it had clocked only 6500 kms till date. But Service personnel told that the car buying date entered online was March 30,2019 and not Feb14,2020 (date i have purchased).

Suspecting foul play, immediately i have called the service advisor working for a different dealer of Volkswagen, from where i have done the first service, and enquired about the previous service records. He checked and told that, there was no other service done, apart from the first free service(which was done by me).

Hidden fact was that, the dealer had cheated on me by selling an one year old vehicle without any discounts. Adding to that, one year of free warranty had expired even before i laid my hands on the car.

Now i am waiting for a response to my email that had been sent to volkswagen Customer care and customer relationship manager of the dealer.

Planning to ask for a
1)free oil change as the car had completed one year ,according to manufactured date, and
2)one year of extended warranty.

PS: Car was purchased from a well known dealer in chennai and serviced from a different dealer in tirunelveli.
This car had suffered an injector problem within 10 days of delivery was altogether a different story.
Torque250 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 13:48   #1650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque250 View Post
Hidden fact was that, the dealer had cheated on me by selling an one year old vehicle without any discounts. Adding to that, one year of free warranty had expired even before i laid my hands on the car.
The dealer sold you a year old car is another issue and you need to see how you fight, but coming onto the point of warranty issue, car warranty is applicable from the date when the sell bill is signed. Doesn't matter if the car is manufactured 1 month ago or 1 year.

If VW records showing the warranty date starting from the last year date then it means the car was already billed. Probably was used as demo or test drive vehicle by the dealer itself.

Its always a good practice to varify the VIN and perform a self PDI before making any vehicle purchase. Guides are already available on the forum.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 29th June 2020 at 13:49.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks