Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2018, 15:06   #1441
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

It definitely was not a balancing issue. I do proper alignment and balancing outside VW service centre. The issue went away after the skimming so never was due to any other issue.
kutts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 15:10   #1442
BHPian

Folks, I have a 2016 facelift Polo 1.5 TDi Highline (the one with auto dimming mirrors) which has done close to 23k kms as of now. The vehicle is due for it's yearly service in a couple of weeks. I have a few issues with the car,

1) The vehicle squeaks like at the door edges whenever there is vertical movement i.e. crossing a speed-breaker at an angle or when I'm wading through potholes. This was bearable at first but in the last couple of months this has become unbearable to an extent where I think even a Maruti car feels more solidly put together.

2) There is a creaking sound at parking speeds which appears to come from the front wheel-well area, when the steering wheel is rotated in any of the directions. My apartment has a very tight parking area that I reverse into and this sound appears every time I park my car.

Have any of you guys experienced the same issues? Also, any pointers on what the root cause of these issues could be will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by kaush666 : 27th March 2018 at 15:11. Reason: Adding a missed point
Old 27th March 2018, 15:27   #1443
Senior - BHPian

Door hinge lubrication and adjustment should solve the first issue. The rubber beadings along the door frame could also be dirty and dry so get them washed properly.

For the second issue it could either be the front strut bearing at the top of the struts or the front anti roll bar bushes. Last but not least it could also be the steering ball joints and tie rod ends. Only a physical inspection will clear up the source of the creaking.

Do you drive predominantly on rough roads, the reason I am asking is since both your issues seem to relate to that.

Also what air pressure do you keep, don't keep the tyres overinflated as that would cause an overall rough ride and it is bad for door hinges and suspension.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 16:23   #1444
BANNED

Every time I go past a speed breaker, there is a squeaking sound that comes from front. The issues is that this sound comes only when I am alone or just two people in the car. Worst part is that twice I complained regarding the same but couldn't get it recreated even once in front of the service guys.
Old 28th March 2018, 12:21   #1445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Every time I go past a speed breaker, there is a squeaking sound that comes from front. The issues is that this sound comes only when I am alone or just two people in the car. Worst part is that twice I complained regarding the same but couldn't get it recreated even once in front of the service guys.
Could be the front bumper. Try pushing it at different places and see if you can reproduce it.

Fixing procedure detailed here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post3924710
Old 28th March 2018, 12:29   #1446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Door hinge lubrication and adjustment should solve the first issue. The rubber beadings along the door frame could also be dirty and dry so get them washed properly.

For the second issue it could either be the front strut bearing at the top of the struts or the front anti roll bar bushes. Last but not least it could also be the steering ball joints and tie rod ends. Only a physical inspection will clear up the source of the creaking.

Do you drive predominantly on rough roads, the reason I am asking is since both your issues seem to relate to that.

Also what air pressure do you keep, don't keep the tyres overinflated as that would cause an overall rough ride and it is bad for door hinges and suspension.
Thanks for the revert Traveler. Coming back to the issue, I checked the rubber beadings alongside the doors last week and they seem to be fine. I will get the door hinge adjustment and lubrication done during this service.

Regarding the second issue, I suspect the steering joint and tie rod ends as well as the sound crops up only when the steering is turned to 3/4th or full lock. Anyway, I will get the A.S.S to check the issue and share an update here.
Old 28th March 2018, 14:37   #1447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
Folks, I have a 2016 facelift Polo 1.5 TDi Highline (the one with auto dimming mirrors) which has done close to 23k kms as of now. The vehicle is due for it's yearly service in a couple of weeks. I have a few issues with the car,

1) The vehicle squeaks like at the door edges whenever there is vertical movement i.e. crossing a speed-breaker at an angle or when I'm wading through potholes. This was bearable at first but in the last couple of months this has become unbearable to an extent where I think even a Maruti car feels more solidly put together.

2) There is a creaking sound at parking speeds which appears to come from the front wheel-well area, when the steering wheel is rotated in any of the directions. My apartment has a very tight parking area that I reverse into and this sound appears every time I park my car.

Have any of you guys experienced the same issues? Also, any pointers on what the root cause of these issues could be will be greatly appreciated.
For First issue- Yes these occurs because the rubber at the door rubs against the metal surface. I remember a Bhpian in on of the threads had solved this by inserting https://www.ebay.in/itm/5-mtrs-Food-...item3f84507958
You can use such pipe to fill it inside the rubber beadings of the doors. Along with that try to wax the metal parts which come in contact with the rubber. I did this on my car and the sound vanished.

For Second issue-This is due to the suspensions strut mounts. You can lubricate them yourself. Else get it changed free of cost if your car is under warranty. I also had the same problem and the service centre guy only sprayed some lube from the bottom and the creaking noise was gone. Get hold of a chain lubrication from Amazon and try to spray it on the suspension joints.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 21:03   #1448
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Could be the front bumper. Try pushing it at different places and see if you can reproduce it.

Fixing procedure detailed here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post3924710
Thanks for your reply McLaren Rulez, check the following video at 00:04 and you will discover the noise I am talking about:

Old 5th April 2018, 13:53   #1449

Quote:
Even I have the same issue. I found out that one of my engine compartment plastic guards has already fallen off and the other one is loose & it brushes the speed breakers...
Old 6th April 2018, 15:55   #1450
BHPian

Got my vehicle serviced this week at VW Madras (KUN). The creaking issue has been resolved by applying some lubricant to the beadings it seems. With respect to the noise during turning, it seems like the front strut is the issue. They have lubricated it but to no avail. The noise still persists. I will be giving the vehicle back to them next week to get the struts replaced under warranty.

Was charged Rs.14238 for the general service. Another pain point on the Polos / Ventos seem to be these flimsy AC vents. These creaks and vent problems are the only chinks in the armour of a well put together vehicle and VW should take corrective measures to rectify them.
Old 6th April 2018, 17:48   #1451
Senior - BHPian

Thats quite steep. Could you post the invoice. Were any parts changed.
Old 6th April 2018, 21:09   #1452

My 3 months old polo TDI suddenly has started making rattling noise. Major culprit seems to be passenger side AC vents. It happens when the vent is turned to extreme positions. Rattling is directly proportional to engine RPM.
Old 6th April 2018, 22:19   #1453
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek0418 View Post
Even I have the same issue. I found out that one of my engine compartment plastic guards has already fallen off and the other one is loose & it brushes the speed breakers...
There is no plastic guard on the left hand side in the Polo petrol, there is one only on the right hand side and when it goes loose, you can simply adjust it with your hand and it will stay in place for long - that's my personal experience. This isn't the part making noise in my case, I am sure it's some suspension component as the noise comes only in the depression phase of the springs.

Day after tomorrow I am taking my Polo petrol for 45k kms service with 39k on odo (I follow 12.5-13k kms service interval). I am expecting a total service bill of around 12000-12500 bucks since I am getting all my AC vents replaced.

The least bill I ever had was 6200 bucks and the maximum I have had was 7800 bucks once, hence adding 3k for AC vents and the additional taxes etc, my expectation is a cool 12000 bucks bill and that is quite HIGH for a hatchback that costs 7 lac and has done only around 40k on odo, maintaining a VW is indeed an expensive task in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingraghu View Post
My 3 months old polo TDI suddenly has started making rattling noise. Major culprit seems to be passenger side AC vents. It happens when the vent is turned to extreme positions. Rattling is directly proportional to engine RPM.
Raghu, look for the covering plate on the dash side when you open the door. When I had my TDi, I had a similar kind of rattling issue and it came out to be the plate that is put on the side of the dash.

Last edited by VKumar : 6th April 2018 at 22:21.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 09:14   #1454

Quote:
There is no plastic guard on the left hand side in the Polo petrol, there is one only on the right hand side and when it goes loose, you can simply adjust it with your hand and it will stay in place for long - that's my personal experience. This isn't the part making noise in my case, I am sure it's some suspension component as the noise comes only in the depression phase of the springs.
Thank you for your suggestion. I just checked the panel you have mentioned. It does feel flimsy and ill fitted. I will be curious to know how did get it fixed.

Last edited by ampere : 7th April 2018 at 10:06. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 7th April 2018, 23:57   #1455

I have noted one more peculiar behaviour in my Polo 1.5 TDI. When idling, I see that the front bumper vibrates, which makes it look like it is not secured properly. I have not seen such thing in any car before. Is this common in Diesel polo?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks