Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:40   #1
BHPian

Need help with some issues on my Figo TDCi

Hi All,

Posting here not with a hope to get solutions to everything, but to vent out the issues I have been facing with my Figo Titanium TDCi with 16.5K on odo.

Issue 1: -
Rattling noise from almost every side of the car. The dashboard, the doors, and the rear. Everything vibrates even on plain streches of road.

Issue 2:
On 29th August, while returning back from office at around 7:30 PM it was raining here and there was a lot of traffic. My car gives out smoke from the engine bay. Had to stop for almost an hour before I could reach back home.
Lack of temperature gauge is to be blamed!

Issue 3:
Bluetooth has its own will and wish, sometimes connects sometimes not!!

Issue 4:
There is sufficient amount of body roll noticed on turns and on uneven surfaces at low speed. Air is checked and kept at recommended levels depending on the load in car.

Issue 5:
Mud flap!!! Already broke one!! Why is made out of such hard plastic??

Issue 6:
Whatever I do, however nicely I clean, the windscreen always has some amount of oil substance which hinders my view in rains. Every day in the I have to clean it with shampoo/glass cleaner and by the time I return back from office the windscreen is back to how it was!

Issue 7:
The clutch is so hard that i feel like pushing a huge heavy rock. One of my relatives has the same model and it has a super light clutch (in terms of a diesel car)

Issue 8:
Apply brakes and a whistling noise come out! Got the brake pads checked, both of them are fine.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 13:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Multiple isues with Figo TDCi

Some suggestions from my side -

Rattling is fairly common due to the nature of roads we drive on, and even the expensive one's start rattling at some point in time or the other. If this gets very annoying to you, then you can try some damping on the doors to minimise them. Do remember, that whatever/however you try you cannot completely eliminate this altogether, best solution would be to crank up the volume of the music system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Hi All,

Rattling noise from almost every side of the car. The dashboard, the doors, and the rear. Everything vibrates even on plain streches of road.
This isnt an issue at all, this is very common due to the difference in temperature and is applicable to all cars. This has nothing to do with the engine temperature and by the way if in case the engine overheats, you will get an indication in the instrumentation panel.

Quote:
Issue 2:
On 29th August, while returning back from office at around 7:30 PM it was raining here and there was a lot of traffic. My car gives out smoke from the engine bay. Had to stop for almost an hour before I could reach back home.
Looks like some issue with the bluetooth module. Other figo owners can comment.

Quote:
Issue 3:
I'm surprised you say so, Can you elaborate this in detail? Figo is the benchmark in the segement with its ride and handling and it is a well established fact. No one ever has complained about this so far.

Quote:
Issue 4:
There is sufficient amount of body roll noticed on turns and on uneven surfaces at low speed. Air is checked and kept at recommended levels depending on the load in car.
Agreed, mud-flaps in figo are simply suicidal. Try if you can get the flexible one's in after market. Figo owner's can suggest you the best solution to this.

Quote:
Issue 5:
Again nothing to do with your car, this problem is there with every other car. This is caused due to oil deposits on the windshield (can be cleaned with a news paper/tissue paper) or sometimes even due to the windshield washer fluid these service centers fill up. There are seperate threads discussing this issue in the forum, please check.

Quote:
Issue 6:
Whatever I do, however nicely I clean, the windscreen always has some amount of oil substance which hinders my view in rains. Every day in the I have to clean it with shampoo/glass cleaner and by the time I return back from office the windscreen is back to how it was!
Please get this checked and if required have the service station to bleed your clutch - all should be well.

Quote:
Issue 7:
The clutch is so hard that i feel like pushing a huge heavy rock. One of my relatives has the same model and it has a super light clutch (in terms of a diesel car)
From the description it looks to be a minor issue. As long as the brake pads are fine and the braking is effective, nothing to worry about. May be caused due to the friction between the surface and is noticed on many cars.

Quote:
Issue 8:
Apply brakes and a whistling noise come out! Got the brake pads checked, both of them are fine.
I personally feel all these can be effective addressed and most of them are common to all the cars. IMO all these are very minor in nature and should not really be a cause of concern. I hope this helps.
Old 3rd September 2011, 13:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Issue 8:
Get some copper grease on the pads - could reduce the squeaks you seem to be getting.
Old 3rd September 2011, 13:47   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Rattling is fairly common due to the nature of roads we drive on, and even the expensive one's start rattling at some point in time or the other. If this gets very annoying to you, then you can try some damping on the doors to minimise them. Do remember, that whatever/however you try you cannot completely eliminate this altogether, best solution would be to crank up the volume of the music system!
IMHO Ford / Chevy cars are not known for this sort of problems.

Cranking up the volume in the music system is only meant for Maruti Cars
Old 3rd September 2011, 13:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

Talk about owning a problematic car! I'm really sorry, dude!

My advice: Get a thorough diagnosis done. And if you aren't satisfied with your regular dealer/service center, I suggest you try a different branch.

The rattling is sad. Must be due to lack of lubrication or unfastened bolts. You might want to get that checked. Cover this when you get your car diagnosed.

The engine issues could be attributed to low grade fuel. Try a different petrol bunk.

The heavy clutch is a surprise! Get the entire clutch checked. Is there any sort of play in the clutch?

Your windscreen washer might have something more than water in its pump. Drain the pump and clean it. Make sure that the wipers are clean and don't have any foreign substance sticking onto it.
Old 3rd September 2011, 14:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have driven a Figo TDci and frankly to my knowledge never experienced any of the issues which are mentioned above. Although I had not tried the bluetooth feature, cant comment on it. My colleagues Figo has completed 20K on the odo and till date he hasn't had the rattling, hard clutch or any handling issues.

Suggest you take the Ford service centre and get them to rectify to your satisfaction. If the problems still persists report to Ford.
Old 3rd September 2011, 14:16   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

1st off, all the problems mentioned here require little diagnosis and can easily sorted out with some talk with the A.S.S.

Quote:
Was your car in some major accident?. If not:

I've been hearing some rattling issues in the Figo, but not to the extent of swift or i20. Out of the 6 Figo's I know, most of 'em are better than the Swift and the i20. So, please get it sorted at the A.S.S. Find out the cause of rattle, and re-fit the part using correct spec tools.

Quote:
Even if there isn't a temperature gauge, I guess there is a high temperature indicator in the Figo?. In any case, I do not think a Figo car with 16k on the odo will overheat. The smoke would have probably been water vapour, from hot exhaust and brake discs.

Quote:
Yes, I've heard compatibility problems. Which phone do you use?. Please use the Figo thread to find out more.

Quote:
Figo, is by far, the best handling hatch in its segment. Unless there is some serious suspension problems, this is NOT possible. Please go the the A.S.S and get it sorted, assuming the car is still in warranty.
Quote:
Known issue. Get aftermarket ones.

Quote:
Cmon man!!.. You seriously cant blame Figo for this!!..

Quote:
Can be sorted with warranty at the A.S.S

Quote:
Reasons could be worn our brake pads (which you have ruled out) and dust in pads. Or, worst case, worn brake discs.
Old 3rd September 2011, 14:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Please check that there are no loose objects in the glovebox and the door pockets, the parcel tray is fixed properly and the rear seat backrest is properly locked.

I do get occasional squeaks from the boot but no rattling.
Old 3rd September 2011, 15:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Issue 2:
Are you sure it was not water vapor and smoke. When it rains sometime the rain water does touch the hot parts of the engine and vaporization occurs. Was there any other indication that proves it was smoke and not vapor.

Quote:
Issue 6:
Oil, substance. How can oil come on windscreen? Do you mean it becomes hazy after the wiper cleans it. If that's the case try mixing a windshield cleaner in the wiper fluid and whenever you switch on wipers spray some of that liquid and it should give you a shiny clean glass.

Quote:
Issue 8:
Is it only when you start the car from stationary for the first few times when the brake is applied or is it all the time. The first time sound may be due to deposits on the disc which gets rubbed off in the first few applications of brake.
Old 3rd September 2011, 15:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Other than the clutch and the brake issues, the rest can happen with any car. The thread title is misleading. I see that you are not happy with the buy.
Old 3rd September 2011, 15:50   #11
BHPian

You need to take out some time and go through the Official Figo review thread. Most of your problems have solutions/explanations there.
The handling and hard clutch issues are new and you will have to visit the A.S.S to check it out.

Misleading title, Fiat obsessed is not happy with Ford eh!

Last edited by Deep Blue : 3rd September 2011 at 15:53.
Old 3rd September 2011, 15:54   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Posting here not with a hope to get solutions to everything, but to vent out the issues I have been facing with my Figo Titanium TDCi with 16.5K on odo.

Even I am facing the issue with My Figo (Aug 2010). I have done 31K kms. It is only now that I hear rattles and roads in my state are better not spoken about. Anyways the dashboard rattles, Roof moulding rattle and the interior trim rattling can be solved. So no sweat brother. I know it is no consolation to know that most of the car do rattle even Mercs do. It has more to do with the roads than the car itself. Also check the number plates because these things rattle even on plain roads also and the sound is just unbearable.
Rear bumper has two plastic screws supporting the bumper from under. YOu need to feel the underside of the bumper from mud flap to mud flap and if there is no screw even that is a case for rattle.

Quote:
Issue 2:
Lack of a temp guage is definitely felt but in this case I would like to narrate something that happened to me the last month. I was returning from TamilNadu and unlike kerala there was no rains there, as soon as I entered kerala I was greeted by the rains. Before I knew, there was smoke from the bonnet. I stopped the car and checked but found that it was the kind of white fumes that come when cold water is sprinkled on hot objects. As soon as I got to know this. I turned the test mode on and found the temp was normal and I continued on. The smoke continued for another 20mins and then stopped. If it is the same then you need not bother. And I advice that you use test mode for temp check. Thats if you cannot do without a temp guage.

Quote:
Issue 3:
take it to the Ford Service. They might either repair or replace under warranty.

Quote:
Issue 4:
Body Roll ? really ? I mean I would associate body roll with Ritz or swift but never with Figo. I am not sure about your definition of body roll.

Quote:
Issue 5:
Stupid design and build . I do know what ford guys were doing while testing the figo.

Quote:
Issue 6:
YOu cannot say thats a figo problem unless there is some deposit in the windshield washer tank or some issue with the motor or the lines. Try emptying the washer tank and refilling it.

Quote:
Issue 7:
Is the clutch hard ? I would have said Try Fiat. Anyways please get it checked. Are you of the habit of revving the car in half clutch. This could cause hard clutch. My experience is that my bro once while trying to take a U turn (he was learning to drive then) was revving the engine but the clutch was half pressed and by the time he got the U turn done there was that burnt smell. A few kms later the clutch became hard. Did this happen to you ?

Quote:
Issue 8:
I had this rubbing noise from the front brakes and got the calliper replaced. Again something that can be fixed at the Ford Service. No trouble there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
My advice: Get a thorough diagnosis done. And if you aren't satisfied with your regular dealer/service center, I suggest you try a different branch.

The rattling is sad. Must be due to lack of lubrication or unfastened bolts. You might want to get that checked. Cover this when you get your car diagnosed.
Adding to that
The rattling is due to
1. Roads as I have mentioned
2. The interior trim have metal clips on them and they are pressed on to the metal body into holes. Now they rub/vibrate against each other and create the rattle. Solution is to use padding inside the trim and also to use double sided tape to avoid metal to metal to contact.
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:36   #13
BHPian

Touch wood my figo does not have any. I do not have bluetooth option so dont know about it
Old 3rd September 2011, 22:14   #14
BHPian

Thanks a lot everyone for your replies!

I am much surprised that its just me who is facing all the issues (Lets leave aside the windscreen thing aside for now. I already have windscreen washer fluid in and it does not help much)

My car never met with any accidents.
I did have a Fiat Palio (though Petrol) before I bought Figo.

Well, to elaborate more on Body Roll, I think most of us might have travelled in Scorpio some time or the other. Have you felt the boat like feeling when brakes are applied? OR felt that the vehicle is leaning towards one side while turning? That is the same feeling I get. When I checked with the service advisor, he anticipated it to the independent suspension. Though not hundred percent wrong, but atleast not what I feel while driving.

Yes, and I forgot to add to the list earlier: -

Issue 9:-
When exactly do we expect the ABS to kick in? I was driving at a constant speed of around 80 KMPH, road was fairly open with no one visible behind me, I spot a pot hole which I was sure gonna hit. I apply brakes and keep my foot strong on the break pedal, the car skids!! Since this is the first time I am using a car with ABS, not sure if it should have come into the picture at that time.

Once I thought of writing to Ford about all these issues, even drafted the mail. Somehow I didn't feel like sending it out. The drafted mail still sits on my drive. Will get the third servicing done and if issues are not sorted out, will surely shoot that mail out. (Not expecting all of them to go away, but atleast the clutch, brake noise and the rattling)
Old 4th September 2011, 09:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Except the mudflap thing and rattles none of the other 7 things you have mentioned are normal behaviour of the Figo. You need to visit a competent A.S.S.

The smoke thing could be just water touching hot parts during rain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks