Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 12:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Engine "drags" intermittently

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek_ch View Post
I have a Swift VXi 2006. I may be experiencing the same symptoms described by you. With or without the AC switched on, the engine has a jerk, before surging forward. Plus while accelerating at a constant speed there is a sudden power drop before regaining composure. The spark plugs have been changed(regular ones) 50kms back. Looking for Ideas as to what could be wrong!
Change the Petrol pump during the next fill and clean your injectors (use System G (for petrol)). Its usually due to bad fuel or injectors and in both cases System G will help.

Last edited by dadu : 14th June 2012 at 12:31.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 12:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Change the Petrol pump during the next fill and clean your injectors (use System G (for petrol)). Its usually due to bad fuel or injectors and in both cases System G will help.
Dadu, here is what has been done on the car since i have started experiencing this sluggishness.

1. Clutch assembly replaced
2. throttle body cleaned.
3. injectors cleaned
4. engine oil changed
5. brake pads replaced.
6. i use STP fuel injector cleaner/STP complete fuel system cleaner on all the tank fulls.

So i need suggestions beyond this.

I think I need a new direction of thought.
Old 14th June 2012, 13:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dadu, here is what has been done on the car since i have started experiencing this sluggishness.

1. Clutch assembly replaced
2. throttle body cleaned.
3. injectors cleaned
4. engine oil changed
5. brake pads replaced.
6. i use STP fuel injector cleaner/STP complete fuel system cleaner on all the tank fulls.

So i need suggestions beyond this.

I think I need a new direction of thought.
I still believe its a sticky injector, get the injector tested under the pressure flow test bench. It looks like this:

Name:  img81.gif
Views: 1376
Size:  16.1 KB

I dont know how they serviced the injectors, ultrasonic injector cleaners are the best compared with other liquid/ additive cleaners.

Also as a precaution, reset/ get your ECU firmware upgraded to newer version(if any).

A good Bosch service center should have this test bench with mechanics who know how to fully test & service an injector or replace if bad.

Last edited by dadu : 14th June 2012 at 13:54.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 22:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I still believe its a sticky injector, get the injector tested under the pressure flow test bench. It looks like this:

Attachment 941132

I dont know how they serviced the injectors, ultrasonic injector cleaners are the best compared with other liquid/ additive cleaners.

Also as a precaution, reset/ get your ECU firmware upgraded to newer version(if any).

A good Bosch service center should have this test bench with mechanics who know how to fully test & service an injector or replace if bad.
Wow Dadu, that picture is really something. ☻ I bet, not any of the MASSs would have a setup like this. Will try and find a good Bosch service center although reviews from fellow forum members are a bit on the negative side. Just as an oversight, If it is not the injectors, could it be a fried ignition coil or a malfunctioning cam/timing belt?
Old 26th June 2012, 06:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 941132

Quote:
Wow Dadu, that picture is really something. ☻ I bet, not any of the MASSs would have a setup like this. Will try and find a good Bosch service center although reviews from fellow forum members are a bit on the negative side. Just as an oversight, If it is not the injectors, could it be a fried ignition coil or a malfunctioning cam/timing belt?
Hey Dadu! I got the belts and the ignition coil checked. The ignition coil came up fine and was supplying a healthy voltage. The timing belt was worn out and the tensioner bearing/pulley too. Got both of those replaced. The has been an improvement in the cars pickup. I have also changed the fuel this time around from HP regular to Shell regular. Car feels smoother. Don't know if this is my mind playing games. The car is going to touch 40k. Ya just 40k.
Surakshaa certified the injectors to be hale and hearty. I will get that checked at Bosch as recommended. Also, my logic a intermittently bad fuel pump/clogged fuel line affect the acceleration of the car. Any thoughts?
Also where can I source System G in Bangy?
ECU has been reset. No new firmware available for a 2006 Swift

Last edited by prateek_ch : 26th June 2012 at 06:42. Reason: Info Added
Old 27th June 2012, 16:53   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

You can source system g from most of the bharath petroleum bunks . Other wise just want into any ford service centre . They Will have it
Old 29th July 2012, 14:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 941132

Dadu got the injectors cleaned at Bosch, near Kundanhalli. This has helped the acceleration however, the random power drops issue is still there. Where do you think I should look next?
Old 29th August 2013, 16:29   #23

Resistance while driving - Dzire Vdi

I have a 2009 Dzire vdi which has done almost 70k. While most of the times the drive is smooth, at times I feel that something is stopping my car from cruising in its usual way. Interestingly, the gear-rpm-speed combination is same in both the scenarios, so, per se I do not have to over rev the engine. Nonetheless, I need to apply more pressure on the accelerator pedal. Even my steering also feels a tad heavier than it is, when I face such a problem. In short, there is noticeable resistance while driving. The problem generally vanishes on its own only on the next restart.

I haven’t been able to notice any pattern when this problem crops up. In fact, I have ruled out most of the factors that I could think of – different roads, climate, traffic conditions, fuel quality, tyre pressure (nitrogen), clogged air filter, floor mat placement and even different boots! I had the tyres changed at 45k, EGR done around the same time and clutch assembly changed at 62k. Though my car has become peppier after the clutch replacement, the problem still persists. I have consulted MASS but as usual, they aren’t as observant as they should be to notice the problem. They have also given a clear chit to the turbocharger as well.

Based on the recommendation of fellow BHPians, I paid a visit to Imtiaz in GK II, New Delhi. He seems to be quite knowledgeable (at-least to a layman like me) and said that the intake manifold is choked. He will charge 1,500 for cleaning the intake manifold which apparently is a full day's job. I don’t know if I should take the chance because up till now, I haven’t gone outside MASS, except for a body repair job.

Has anyone faced a similar issue? Desperately need advice here.
anuj_mathur2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 17:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: Resistance while driving - Dzire Vdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj_mathur2000 View Post
... there is noticeable resistance while driving. The problem generally vanishes on its own only on the next restart. ... said that the intake manifold is choked. ...
Eh? Intake manifold choked??? What with? Does he realize that whatever goes into intake manifold has to pass through air filter?

If you say the behaviour persists till you restart the car, there can be only 2 possibilities:
- An error condition that prevents normal operation, or causes the engine controller to choose a lesser safer operating point. The first course of action should be checking with a Diagnostic equipment. You can ask Maruti service guys to check for recorded errors once again
- If no error is recorded, it could be a sensor relevant for injection control is showing erratic readings but this sensor is not a part of Diag monitoring. Engine control uses a substitute 'safe value' in these conditions
Old 29th August 2013, 18:16   #25
BHPian

You have checked for the choked air filter, so I'm assuming that your problem has symptoms of a chocked air filter. If this is the case, then it may be Air Mass Sensor that needs to be cleaned. This will be on the outlet side of the air filter box or the hose. It is usually the culprit which most ASCs will neglect. Moreover this does not raise an error condition. Since the car has done 70k km, there are high chances that this needs to be cleaned. Because of the dust accumulated on the sensor, it reports lower amount of air intake than what is actually being taken in, so the ECU calculates the other things based on this. I had poor acceleration in my vehicle and tried diagnosing it for more than year and finally found it to be this sensor.

The sensor is expensive as well as sensitive, better get this done by the ASC.

Last edited by asdfvinay : 29th August 2013 at 18:20.
asdfvinay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 22:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Drive straight to MSM in Okhla Phase II. The earlier GM Mr. Chawla is back in the seat and for the time being this work shop is back on top. 1500/- for the job at hand sounds bit much. Let MSM give you their diagnosis and expected expense and then take a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj_mathur2000 View Post
Based on the recommendation of fellow BHPians, I paid a visit to Imtiaz in GK II, New Delhi. He seems to be quite knowledgeable (at-least to a layman like me) and said that the intake manifold is choked. He will charge 1,500 for cleaning the intake manifold which apparently is a full day's job. I don’t know if I should take the chance because up till now, I haven’t gone outside MASS, except for a body repair job.

Has anyone faced a similar issue? Desperately need advice here.
Old 29th August 2013, 23:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

I think I have been facing this problem on my swift since last week. I will visit the MASS this weekend.
Old 30th August 2013, 09:30   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Drive straight to MSM in Okhla Phase II. The earlier GM Mr. Chawla is back in the seat and for the time being this work shop is back on top. 1500/- for the job at hand sounds bit much. Let MSM give you their diagnosis and expected expense and then take a call.
Good to know Mr Chawla is back. I do hope I'm able to convince him, provided that the problem resurfaces at the when I visit MSM. Unfortunately, the problem rarely comes up when the service engineer takes a test drive. Nonetheless, I'll pursuade them to have a relook at the sensors.
Old 30th August 2013, 16:07   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Engine "drags" intermittently

Anuj,

Does this happen only with the air-con running? If so, refer to these two posts from the 1st page of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penlax View Post
If this happens when the A/C is on..ask them to check the clutch assembly of the airconditioner and the bearing of the A/C.

If these're faulty..they will cause drag on the engine when the compressor comes on and will cause these precise symptoms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Superb diagnosis! I had faced the same problem in my car (IIRC, it was the Esteem, but not sure), and it boiled down to a packed air-con compressor. Apparently, it disrupted free movement and was creating a heck of a lot of resistance.
Old 31st August 2013, 13:41   #30

Re: Engine "drags" intermittently

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Does this happen only with the air-con running? If so, refer to these two posts from the 1st page of this thread.

This happens regardless of the air con. Actually I observed another thing when I feel the resistance . If I rev the engine while the car is on a stand still, there is some feeble jerking could be felt if a constant rpm of 2k or more is maintained, as if the car is jabbing back at me. The car doesn't behave like this in happier days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
You have checked for the choked air filter, so I'm assuming that your problem has symptoms of a chocked air filter. If this is the case, then it may be Air Mass Sensor that needs to be cleaned. This will be on the outlet side of the air filter box or the hose. It is usually the culprit which most ASCs will neglect. Moreover this does not raise an error condition. Since the car has done 70k km, there are high chances that this needs to be cleaned. Because of the dust accumulated on the sensor, it reports lower amount of air intake than what is actually being taken in, so the ECU calculates the other things based on this. I had poor acceleration in my vehicle and tried diagnosing it for more than year and finally found it to be this sensor.
Thanks Vinay. Would a clogged air mass sensor be responsible for the stiffness in the steering wheel as well?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks