Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:46   #511
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Took the vehicle Thursday (21-Ju-12).

Today the odo reads 1011kms and the Car stands tall in Yercaud without any issues. Tried to get her within 3000RPM during the trip (Cruise speed of 140-150kms) and occassional bursts of 190s. No issues like pulling to left or squeaks or what so ever it is.

Absolutely brilliant car. One word. Today will be travelling towards Madurai and Thekkady to add another 1500 kms..

I am fine with the brakes. It has a long play but am ok with it. There is some grinding noise at slow speeds, but high speed braking/panic braking is fine (no grinding noise at high speeds).

Ghats in this vehicle is good. I am saying this in relative terms to My Linea T-Jet.

All in all, One brilliant vehicle from Mahindra.
Glad to see that Sathya,
Confidence inspiring for everyone!

Please share the route you are taking, experience along and pictures whenever you get time!
Drive safe.
Old 24th June 2012, 00:58   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey
3. Windscreen is single layered glass. Small pebble-touch can cause it to crack/ break. I have already replaced mine. I really thank Mahindra service center to do under warranty; however, it has scared me as it can happen again
Aren't the front windshield mandated by law to be a laminated safety glass? Can you please elaborate why you think it is single layered, and the circumstances / force at which the 'pebble-touch' happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh
I had this issue . Though it is normal behaviour for a windshield to form a bubble whenever it gets impacted by tiny pebbles, the size of the bubble in my windshield is of course a cause of concern. I did not replace the windshield as such.
Is that a real bubble (like those formed in badly installed sun film) that you have in your windshield? I don't understand how a pebble impact could cause the glass to trap air between its layers! Did you mean glass got a crack in outer layer and air pocket formed underneath?
Old 24th June 2012, 18:08   #513
BHPian

Have added another 500 kms to the ODO today. Now the ODO stands at 1500kms. Today I am in Thekkady.. saw some really worst roads and ghats which are equally worst in terms of roads. The beast took it with ease and am loving it every minute. Hope this continues.

The best part of this car is road presence and ability to cruise at 120-140 all day long. No stress or strain to the engine and the ability of the car to handle those speeds with ease. BEST HIGHWAY CRUISER among the SUV's/other cars at this price range. Mileage was 14.8km/lt.

Faced a minor problem of Front Driver side door not closing without applying firm force. Otherwise no major issues.

Anyone faced this problem.. and whats the solution to this door issue? I guess re-alignment of door must correct this issue. Will wait until the first service to get this corrected since its not a major one. Teaser pics of my car -
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-1.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-2.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-5.jpg  

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 24th June 2012 at 18:20.
Sathya_sc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 00:14   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc
Have added another 500 kms to the ODO today. Now the ODO stands at 1500kms.
Congratulations and best wishes for your maiden voyage in XUV!

Quote:
Faced a minor problem of Front Driver side door not closing without applying firm force. Otherwise no major issues.

Anyone faced this problem.. and whats the solution to this door issue?
Is that happening always or only when you close that door as the last one? I'm living with similar problem in my Scorpio - albeit with the rear door - and I discovered that the car acts as an air tight chamber if I closed that as last, requiring firm force to get it shut properly.

After checking the hinges, rubber beading, door seals, etc., and assured that all is well, but with no remedy, here's the simple trick I resort to:
1. Open any other door and leave it ajar
2. Close the problematic door without any extra force (ahem, extra for Scorpio standards; others, please read that as super-extra).
3. Close the other door as normal (for some strange reason, the air tight phenomenon doesn't happen with other doors).

Why don't you try this trick and see if it works for you?

Cheers!

Last edited by GunMo : 25th June 2012 at 00:16.
Old 25th June 2012, 11:32   #515
BHPian

Quote:
The best part of this car is road presence and ability to cruise at 120-140 all day long. No stress or strain to the engine and the ability of the car to handle those speeds with ease. BEST HIGHWAY CRUISER among the SUV's/other cars at this price range. Mileage was 14.8km/lt.
Agreed. That's the best part of the car which I simply love, though for my speed levels - which is almost at 100 all the time, I get a mileage of around 18.5 to 19.

Quote:
I have never faced any issue with the doors/locks etc.
Old 25th June 2012, 11:50   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
Agreed. That's the best part of the car which I simply love, though for my speed levels - which is almost at 100 all the time, I get a mileage of around 18.5 to 19.

I have never faced any issue with the doors/locks etc.
Great! Looks like you guys have done some good amount of highway touring.
Are you guys driving in the nights too! Have you felt the low beams to be ineffective at higher speed? Do you drive with high beams ON beyond 70-80kmph due to this?
Old 25th June 2012, 12:06   #517
BHPian

The door issue sorted by itself. Am able to close the front driver side door as I close other doors now. No issues. Mileage has been around 15 all the time.

Mileage you are getting is simply terrific for 2.2l diesel. Think, you must drive in an efficient and sedate manner..

Have added another 100kms without any issues today The brakes have set in well. Today I didn't get any grinding noise even in slow speed braking. Feel all the more confident with the machine. and the car drives and picks up faster than before.. notable difference, must be due to the engine setting in.

Awesome machine and am loving it! Compiling a review as well.
Old 25th June 2012, 12:22   #518
BHPian

Quote:

Teaser pics of my car -
COngrats Sathya on the beast. Your words are also an assurance for someone like me who has booked and waiting. I thought you had mentioned earlier somewhere that you had got the Red one.. Anyways I like this dark grey better.

Enjoy the ride..

FundaG
Old 26th June 2012, 14:01   #519

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_on_torque View Post
I am talking to Sireesh auto only, but my RM is Roopesh, Marathalli Service Station. Idea of approaching as a group is good. I am in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
Tall claim that nobody else from Bangalore has reported this same issue. Pavan15 and myself have reported it numerous times at SKS with our respective RMs.
Update: I reported the outside smell issue to my RM. He said he did a test using a "spray" and confirmed the issue. But has not given any more information / fix. He just said he has sent the report to Mahindra and asked for directions on what to do. I will do a follow up. But at least, they are acknowledging it!

[quote=princey;2805703]Just happened to read about some new niggles.
2.Wipers are bad quality and if it rains and you use them, they cause ...quote]

I did not get any problems with wipers. In fact, I found the wipers much less noisy than many cars. But I did notice that just as the driver side wiper is reaching its parking position, the other wiper does throw a little splash on the area that it had wiped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
2 cases of clutch failures reported in the same day
Not good. With my............and not design flaws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
I have seen a vehicle in Sireesh Workshop with the whole transmission ........
-HCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Yes I confirm that here at Sri Durga they are replacing 5 to 6 clutch assemblies each day. ......
Oh my god! Now I am worried. I never know of a clutch issue. But now I do remember seeing a vehicle (W8) in one corner of the Marathalli service station of Sireesh auto, with the clutch housing opened up! I hope I do not have to face this issue. I spoke to showroom guys to tell me if my vehicle is a suspect vehicle. He has asked me to send him the VIN to check it up! My vehicle has now done 6700 km, luckily haven't seen this problem. I have been to Wayanad also. The experience was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhileshgrover View Post
What is the city average that folks are getting in Bangalore? I ....in the group.
I drive daily to my office, the route is relatively uncongested. I am consistentely getting 11.5 to 12 km pl. Even during my trip to Wayanad (highway driving), I got close to 14 kmpl. I feel that for this size of vehicle and engine, this is pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I have reported about this ......

I have smooth clutch and gear shift, except that the gear shift is bity notchy for the first gear only when you try to down shift from 2nd while car is in speed (I gues this could be normal), it works perfectly fine whne I move from stand still.
....here!).
Clutch and Brake Pedal Free Play
I too have the exact same experience when trying to down shift from 2 to 1 with the vehicle still moving. The 1st gear is a bit difficult to engage. It works fine when starting from stand still. But of late the shift quality has deteriorated a bit.

Apart from this, I feel that sometimes, the acceleration in 2 gear is quite jerky around 1600 to 1800 rpm. This happens only occasionally, and even though I reported it in first service, nothing was done as it could not be reproduced. Even I took the RM and the mechanic on a test drive, but the issue did not happen then.

Also, the brakes noise issue was still there and even though I reported it for first service, they did not do anything saying they don't have a permanent fix to it. After that, I persisted to give at least a temporary solution and then they took the vehicle again and replaced some part (don't know what part they replaced exactly), but since then, so far the problem has not recurred - this was about 10 days ago. Let's see if the problem again comes back later.

But all said and done, I would say overall I am still happy with the vehicle, just as long as I do not face a catastrophic issue like clutch failure and the brakes issue gets fixed. Agreed that there are quite a few issues. But I was prepared for some issues knowing that Mahindra is still not a accomplished / world leading manufacturer, and also knowing that a vehicle being supplied at such price is likely to have some problems. Besides, even the best car manufacturers face problems. Chevy cruze costs more than this vehicle, and recently GM recalled 4 lakh vehicles in USA because some vehicles caught fire! See here:

Chevy Cruze Recall: General Motors Announces Recall Affecting More Than 475,000 Cars

This from a world class supplier making cars for more than a century!

Many years ago, my friend's plymouth had caught fire spontaneously (in Canada).

The issues like outside smell in the car in re-circulation mode have been noticed in so many cars of world renowned manufacturers as well!

So guys, no one is perfect, and we know that Mahindra has a long way to go. But hey! It is our own country's OEM, and given the fact that they have shifted only in recent past from assembling to designing cars, I think XUV is a commendable effort. I am sure if we support our Indian car manufacturers, they will become as good as any before too long!
hi_on_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 20:01   #520
BHPian

Quote:

Anyone faced this problem.. and whats the solution to this door issue?
Good to hear the positive feedback

I too took the delivery on 21st (may manufactured)

the door issue was present in my car & 1 more being delivered (overheard owner grumbling with the sales guy )

it's a minor fix (went to workshop yesterday)
Old 26th June 2012, 21:49   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Here is my first contribution to this thread:

Today morning the clutch pedal dropped to the floor when I was changing gears. Since this happened in the basement, I called for help to move the car from the main driveway. One of the chauffeurs who was standing nearby came to my help and after he pressed the breaks and clutch pedal couple of times the clutch was back in the normal position and I was able to take the car out of the basement. Would be taking the car to Sireesh to diagnose this issue. I did not see any fluid on the floor and the break fluid reservoir is a little below the maximum mark.

-- Wind
According to the RM it was a case of lack of lubrication in some of the rubber parts in the clutch assembly. The problem has not re-appeared after the clutch lubrication and the clutch pedals is a lot smoother now.

-- Wind
Wind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 15:20   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Great! Looks like you guys have done some good amount of highway touring.
Are you guys driving in the nights too! Have you felt the low beams to be ineffective at higher speed? Do you drive with high beams ON beyond 70-80kmph due to this?
Of my 8000KMs, around 5000 were on highways. I have done about 500-600 in nights. I generally alternate between low/high beams during highway due to the improper lighting of the roads. But haven't come across a situation where I had to switch to high beam to overcome the "ineffective low beam". Personally, I am fine with the headlights as-is.

That said, I adjusted the headlight height multiple times until I found the sweet spot. As you know it should match the driving conditions, your seat adjustments etc..

Last edited by sheelapratosh : 27th June 2012 at 15:21.
sheelapratosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 15:23   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
Of my 8000KMs, around 5000 were on highways. I have done about 500-600 in nights. I generally alternate between low/high beams during highway due to the improper lighting of the roads. But haven't come across a situation where I had to switch to high beam to overcome the "ineffective low beam". Personally, I am fine with the headlights as-is.

That said, I adjusted the headlight height multiple times until I found the sweet spot. As you know it should match the driving conditions, your seat adjustments etc..
Thanks, that helps.
I may need to get that done next time I visit workshop, I'm hoping they will do it and that will surely help me get a longer throw.
Old 27th June 2012, 16:21   #524
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
According to the RM it was a case of lack of lubrication in some of the rubber parts in the clutch assembly. The problem has not re-appeared after the clutch lubrication and the clutch pedals is a lot smoother now.

-- Wind
A Dual Mass Clutch assembly has NO RUBBER / Polyeurathene parts for lubrication.
Old 27th June 2012, 23:02   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavdalal View Post

the door issue was present in my car & 1 more being delivered (overheard owner grumbling with the sales guy )

it's a minor fix (went to workshop yesterday)
Vaibhav.. The issue did not recur in my car. The door closes properly. Anyhow, just curious to know what was done to get it right. What is the minor fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_on_torque View Post
Oh my god! Now I am worried. I never know of a clutch issue. But now I do remember seeing a vehicle (W8) in one corner of the Marathalli service station of Sireesh auto, with the clutch housing opened up! I hope I do not have to face this issue. I spoke to showroom guys to tell me if my vehicle is a suspect vehicle. He has asked me to send him the VIN to check it up! My vehicle has now done 6700 km, luckily haven't seen this problem. I have been to Wayanad also. The experience was good.
Can you keep us posted on what did your Service Manager tell you on the clutch thing based on the VIN you shared? And by the whats your car's month of manufacture?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks