Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 18:13   #106
BHPian

Re: Unnecessary OEM equipment in today's cars

Looking at all the replies, I feel that most of the features for luxury are the most unwanted, here are some examples:-
1.The Mitsubishi Lancer used to have this antenna which would come out when we switch on the radio. On hitting trees and some other objects the antenna used to get bent and would not collapse. The motor would make a whirring sound trying to pull back the antenna in.
2.The Electronically controlled ORVM's where in the mirrors would fold on pressing a button. Used to be good for initial days, once someone hits the mirror they go all kaput!
3.Some cars have the engine crank protection. In case of the engine getting off accidentaly we would have to turn the key all the way to step1 and then crank the engine. Very annoying in traffic. My 10 year old Honda Dio had the system that the Electric starter would not crank if the Engine is running.
4.The boot release in SWIFT Zxi. Numerous events when i would have to get down and show the security guards how to open it. Like the one on the figo. One press on the button and the boot opens.
5.Lack of a Spare tire/Space saver tires. I would prefer a full size tire because in India you may never know.
6.Too many buttons and messy interfaces. Have to read the manual and do some R&D before using them.
7.Parking sensors :- does make sense for some cars, but i have seen Accessories shops fixing sensors on cars like the EON and K10. IMHO a parking camera or reverse camera makes much more sense.

Last edited by rajanprash : 1st December 2011 at 18:22.
Old 1st December 2011, 23:49   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

I would like to have dual mode headlight with one for city driving and a powerful lighting for highway drive.

For me Useless equipments are,

1) Cruise Control -
2) Auto/Intelligent Wipers
3) Voice Assist
Old 1st December 2011, 23:59   #108
BHPian

Re: Unwanted accessories/equipments.

Can you explain more on the unusefullness of tyre tronics ? In gact I was hunting for a after market one, surprised to see it on your unwanteds list. Is it not effective in monotoring the type pressure?
Old 2nd December 2011, 00:11   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The only useless extra in my Punto Emotion was the music system, removing that would have reduced the cost of the car and given a wide choice of aftermarket options. Who wants a CD player that refuses to read CDs burned using Windows?
I am not sure if this is true, my OEM sounds real good with 2 pairs of Hertz compos and i didn't have any issues playing CDs written in Win7. IMHO the lossless audio CDs sound way better than even 320kbps media player file.

May be am I'm not an audiophile as you are
Old 2nd December 2011, 04:01   #110

I was driving back home in my car in slight drizzle when I felt that the headlights have busted. I pulled over and found the headlights intact. There was a fine spray of dirt from the road mixed with precipitation that was landing on my car (caused by cars ahead of me) that was rendering my headlamps blind. So I used a rag to clean the lamps and drove on. I had to stop and do this three times before I reached home.
A headlamp washer would've been handy!
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:51   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
I am not sure if this is true, my OEM sounds real good with 2 pairs of Hertz compos and i didn't have any issues playing CDs written in Win7. IMHO the lossless audio CDs sound way better than even 320kbps media player file.

May be am I'm not an audiophile as you are
I am not an audiophile at all, but having heard my music in a friend's car, the stock OEM is really bad. I burn CDs in Vista, after my Nero free version expired, I changed the HU to GTX -555, not because of the 3 pre-outs, but because of the USB/AUX/SD options that it offers. I get bored of my collections really fast and USB is a life saver, the lighting also matches the instrument cluster. I understand that you upgraded the speakers, I was talking about the OEM speakers(which I still have)

You have two pairs of Hertz components, front and rear? Mind sharing the cost.
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:10   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I am not an audiophile at all, but having heard my music in a friend's car, the stock OEM is really bad. I burn CDs in Vista, after my Nero free version expired, I changed the HU to GTX -555, not because of the 3 pre-outs, but because of the USB/AUX/SD options that it offers. I get bored of my collections really fast and USB is a life saver, the lighting also matches the instrument cluster. I understand that you upgraded the speakers, I was talking about the OEM speakers(which I still have)

You have two pairs of Hertz components, front and rear? Mind sharing the cost.
yes stock speakers are simply crap, they are piece of paper stuck on a tiny magnet. yes compos both front an rear, Front DSK165 6.5' cost around 4.6k and DSK130 5.5' in rear for 4.1k with a year warranty, they sound great with the OEM blau unit. I should have put another 165 in rear instead of 130, should have been little better.
RIC.BURNS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:30   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
4.The boot release in SWIFT Zxi. Numerous events when i would have to get down and show the security guards how to open it. Like the one on the figo. One press on the button and the boot opens.
You can set up one yourself. Check the DIY threads here on TBHP.
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:55   #114
Mtv
BHPian

What about spoilers on FWD cars? Very popular among Citys and Swifts these days.
Old 2nd December 2011, 14:05   #115
Senior - BHPian

60:40 split seat..useless feature??

This is the most frequently used feature in my car. Very useful!
Old 2nd December 2011, 19:45   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Another useless feature is a spare tire in regular cars. In an off roader, it is a must, but seriously, Other than a catashrophic blowout, most tubeless tires can be driven for 1-2 weeks with a nail in it.
By that logic then we would not even need the Jack, Handle, Wheel Spanner. Even more weight saved, eh? This stuff IS there in case of that C. blowout. And if the blowout did happen in some remote place, i guess the spare tire would not seem very useless then, would it?
Old 2nd December 2011, 22:45   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I would like to have dual mode headlight with one for city driving and a powerful lighting for highway drive.

For me Useless equipments are,

1) Cruise Control -
2) Auto/Intelligent Wipers
3) Voice Assist
IMHO cruise control makes highway cruising much easier and it is neccessary for one who is taking long trips often, reduces fatigue. I miss it when i have to push the pedal for hours with my long trips on the highways.

i don't understand the point of headlight wipers on cars, muddy off-road in a car?
Old 3rd December 2011, 08:57   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
IMHO cruise control makes highway cruising much easier and it is neccessary for one who is taking long trips often, reduces fatigue. I miss it when i have to push the pedal for hours with my long trips on the highways.
But there are hardly a handful of highways where one can actually use this feature.

Given the hide-n-seek game played by animals, humans, tractors on our highways, you'd spend more time engaging and disengaging the cruise control!

I'd rather get ACC instead of cruise control.
Old 3rd December 2011, 11:43   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

i don't understand the point of headlight wipers on cars, muddy off-road in a car?
The cruise control is fine for wide open highways, where there is no distraction (animals, carts and people suddenly making appearance!). It has its down side also. I read that on one highway in US (was it Texas?), the driver fell asleep and was detected only after nearly 100 miles. That is why modern highway design incorporates minor horizontal and vertical direction changes to ensure that the driver is always alert.

If you have driven at night on muddy roads, in mild rain, you will appreciate the utility of the head light wipers. Though your windscreen can be cleaned using wipers and water spray, the headlights just accumulate dust (and mud), so that in no time the headlights have dimmed and are ineffective. This is when windshield wipers and water spray is god sent. (you do not want to get out of the car on a lonely road at night, just to get better light)
Old 3rd December 2011, 11:57   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Many times I felt that companies are trying to "fool" people by providing unwanted equipments. Case to point... Tacho... Its just that I didnt feel abt writing about this till I came across the below article.
Metrics That Matter–What's Your Company Currency?

Does any one share my thoughts that
1/ companies are trying to provide unwanted feature?
2/ customers too are "sucked" into this? I have read quite a few thread where people crib (or write as -ve) that tachos are not provided.

This thread is not abt tachos, but also for other things for which you might have felt the same (eg: rear wiper - which I find to be very useful in mansoons, but perhaps others might have same feeling for it, as I have for the useless tachos.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
LOL buddy!!.. Being amidst a bunch of enthusiasts, and starting a thread pointing out the tacho is useless.. well.. what can I say??!!..

Please go through http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...v-counter.html to get an idea about how important the tacho is for an enthusiast!!..

Now, coming to the topic. Yes there are some features that might be not used by all, but still they are features, and I would welcome it.

Customers are fooled only when companies charge a premium over some features which cost much..much less. Say for example the vanity mirror. I remember that some years before, this was on the check list of features to differentiate between variants. Now, seriously how much would it cost?. 50 bucks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Actually both the Tachometer and the rear wiper are on my "must have" list. On my Alto K10, I find no unwanted accessories, but as others have commented here are accessories/equipment I do not want in a Scorpio
. Voice Assist
. Tyre Tronics
. Rain sensor, Intelligent Wipers
. Intelligent Light
. Micro Hybrid
. ICE - I prefer to install my own

On the other hand I would like the following, at least as options on all trims of SUV
. ABS
. Air Bags
. 4x4
. Tachometer
. All 4 Power windows
. Ammeter
. Temperature meter
. Rear Demister & Washer
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I feel "unwanted" accessories are provided, the same at a premium, mostly for the premium cars. You'll have features like rain sensing wipers, headlight washers, light sensing HLs; THAT is something I'd rather not have if it could bring down the cost.

You don't find even a 10 lakh (well, now 8 lakh) Honda City with such "unwanted" frills. This phenomenon starts for the premium ~15 lakhs cars.

I greatly appreciate the tacho and rear wipers of course. After driving the Corsa and City, I find the instrument cluster empty in my Zen. The tacho is like your connection with the engine.

You'll be surprised - the base variant of the Alto doesn't get a vanity mirror! Even "Maruti Suzuki" and "Alto" are through stickers and not chrome plates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice thread, here's the exact opposite discussion.

Personally, I don't care about:

- Parking sensors. Never used them even in the 7 series long-wheel-base version (the longest sedan I've driven). I park the old fashioned way

- 60:40 splitting rear seat : I know people who use this feature, but honestly, I've never - till date in 15+ years of driving - needed to split only part of the rear seat.

- Auto headlamp & wipers : Sorry, but I do know when I want to switch them on.

A tachometer is an extremely important tool to:

- Extract the best performance out of your engine
- Get the maximum fuel efficiency
- Especially useful in a turbo-charged car
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Scroll up, right to the top of the page. Can you see the Team-BHP Mast-Head? It says Team-BHP (redlining the Indian Automotive Scene) with a Tachometer. I'm afraid you're in the wrong forum, my friend!

The Tacho has several uses. It's not an 'accessory'. It's just that some manufacturers try and keep costs of some cars down by omitting them. However, some very important features are left out, like Airbags and ABS. I always fail to understand the Indian Market, because of this.

OEM parts cruise-control is a feature you can't use on a daily basis, or for that matter, on most roads in India. So why have it at all? But then again, there are CEOs who drive their Accords on expressways from Delhi to Gurgaon and Delhi to Noida, and would probably find this feature useful!

I guess one man's garbage, is another's gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Nice topic,
What i don't like :

Rain Sensing Wipers,
Armrest at Rear seat
ICE
Sun glass holder

As for Tacho, rightly as pointed by GTO, one can extract the best performance from your vehicle. Gods know what would i have done with my VRs without a tacho
Forget maximum performance guys. Enthusiast or not, tachometer is the most important tool as far as Run-in of a new car is concerned. How are we supposed to keep the car under the 2500-3000 rpm range without it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks