Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2007, 13:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Ask Viper he is mainly in aftermarket installations,imports he might help you out
Old 18th March 2007, 13:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, Lets check with Viper on this.
Also, let me know the website and details. I have my colleague visiting US frequently. I can ask them to get one for us.
I need to know the size of the packet before I ask him to get one or more than one.
Old 18th March 2007, 14:34   #33
BHPian

The website link for Rostra Electronic Cruise Control kit via Brandon Distributor is Brandon Distributing, Inc. - Accessories for your Car, Truck, SUV & RV and the link for the control switch from the same site is Brandon Distributing, Inc. - Automobile Accessories - Universal Cruise Control Switches.

The parts I jotted down to get was Part #250-1223 in the first link and Part #250-3743 in the second link. And yeah a check up with Viper on this would be good.

P.S. I'm sure its not a big package, and I hope its not.

-Absar

Last edited by Absar : 18th March 2007 at 14:35.
Old 3rd May 2007, 14:30   #34
BHPian

I believe Skoda Octavia RS is the only car that comes with a Cruise Control, ofcourse except for Mercs,Beemers and Audis. Now that we are having more access controlled freeways coming up in India, I think it is a good idea for car makers to provide the CC option atleast in their higher trim levels.
Old 24th February 2012, 20:25   #35
BHPian

I bought my Honda city last year at diwali, and now Honda have come up with cruise control in the 2012 city. How do I go about getting that system for my car?
Old 22nd March 2017, 22:15   #36

Re: Aftermarket Cruise Control

My research on the internet led me to the term "add-on" cruise control installation. While the service Centre guys @honda told me it'd cost around a lakh INR, the aftermarket stuff available for Honda city 2013 comprises of very simple parts that are mostly DIY. Am not sure if it's worth the risk as the steering and the airbag inflator are involved too. I also found out that Honda has these vehicles pre-wired as the higher versions had the feature and the lower one did not.
Old 23rd March 2017, 00:35   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Aftermarket Cruise Control

Not sure what is available in India, but there is quite a selection of add-on cruise controls available via the various after market channels. I put a very simple one in my Mercedes, works perfectly fine.

Not so sure if they have to interact with the ECU or BCM. Plenty of stuff around on the internet. Nice DIY job if you decide to pursue.

As you said, on many cars a lot of it might be pre-installed and it might be as simple as installing a new stalk or similar

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 23rd March 2017 at 00:36.
Old 6th April 2017, 11:46   #38
BHPian

@Jeroen could you please share the details of the kit you bought and from where?
Old 6th April 2017, 23:55   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronello View Post
@Jeroen could you please share the details of the kit you bought and from where?
I bought it when I was still in the Netherlands (10 years ago) from a company called Conrad. Mine is a Waeco Cruise Control Magic Speed MS50.

They used to make a whole range of different after market cruise controls. The MS50 was the cheapest and the most simple one.

I installed it in my 1982 W123 Mercedes.

These units are sold as “universal”. Which is a euforism for it won’t fit anything at all without some work. It took me quite a bit of time and effort to get it all installed and working.

This is the little control unit. I mounted it on some of the switch location. Operation is very simple. on/off, you set the speed, pushing multiple times increases the speed. Braking or clutching disengages the autocruise and you can re-engage the cruisecontrol with the res-button, this button also decreases the set speed.

Aftermarket Cruise Control-p4062846.jpg

Overall, the system works very well, although it’s a bit slow. It’s simply not instant as a modern cruise control is. I like that, it sort of keeping in character with the car.

There is a small electronic unit (size of package of cigarettes), I mounted it under the steering column. there are also two reed relais, that you need to install with it’s respective magnets on the brake and cloth pedal.

The speed pickup is done with a magnet on the prop shaft and a sensor or alternatively if your car has the ability to generate some sort of pulse based on speed that would work as well. My W123 has a pulse unit mounted on the back of the speedometer. I started by using the magnet/propshaft, which worked ok. But the pulses from the speedometer make for a more stable operation.

Lastly there is a pneumatic actuator. It operates on the engine vacuum and it moves a Bowden cable that you can attach to your throttle cable.

Aftermarket Cruise Control-p4062847.jpg

I installed the actuator using existing holes in the frame of my W123. It’s important to me to keep my car as original as possible. Obviously, this unit isn’t original, but I can take it off and nothing will show it was ever there.

On my W123 there is no throttle cable. There is a linkage system. So I had to make some sort of little frame that would support the Bowden cable and allow it to “pull” the throttle linkage.

Aftermarket Cruise Control-p4062849.jpg

Aftermarket Cruise Control-p4062851.jpg

Have a look here:

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/c...=category&rb=1

Apparently, Waeco has been taken over / rebranded as Dometic:

http://www.waeco.com

Bad news, they seem to have just about dropped all the cruise controls. Only one left.

Not sure what is available in India. Again, mine is a very simple, very appropiate for an old, classic, carburator car. There are also electronic versions that will integrate with your cars existing electronics. So depending on what car and wishes you have you will have to do a bit of research.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 15:14   #40
BHPian

I do Noida-Lucknow route atleast twice a year. Now with the opening of the Agra-Lucknow expressway, the drive consists of purely expressway stretches.

I sorely miss not having Cruise Control on my Swift VDi.

Can someone suggest an aftermarket kit that can provide Cruise Control in this car. Anyone here who has done this here in India?
Old 6th June 2017, 15:35   #41
BHPian

Bumping this thread again!

Hard to believe but it appears not many here on the forum think of cruise-control as an essential feature, and therefore there appears to be little interest in the aftermarket kits.
ashukla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 18:17   #42
BHPian

Even I am interested. Many car models available in the mass market segment. However not many available in aftermarket
Old 26th September 2017, 18:46   #43

Found amazon india is selljng aftermarket cruise control. With all of the cars now being driven by ECM. Would it be really that hard to get an AF cruise control
Old 26th September 2017, 18:47   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankamble View Post
Found amazon india is selljng aftermarket cruise control. With all of the cars now being driven by ECM. Would it be really that hard to get an AF cruise control
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...e-control.html
Old 27th September 2017, 07:04   #45
BHPian

Hi Folks,
I had cruise control fitted on my Fiat Linea Petrol version.
cost 3.5k the stalk and cable, connected to ECU.
Worked flawlessly, only scare was when connecting to ECU as there was a possibility of ruining it up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks