Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2007, 12:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

seems an interesting topic..but I fail to understand one point..

If we preset Cruise control on a stick shift at 100Kmph..things are fine..we need to brake to say 40 or even 30 or 20 kmph because of a stray dog / cattle..then what will happen..Mostly the car will stall as it will not pull from such low speeds..

Or do we manually downshift / upshift to until it accelarates to 100 Kmph.. slightly confusing..this part..any help to get clarity??
Old 8th March 2007, 12:48   #17
BHPian

Am Afraid that is why this feature will not work in India, except strictly on expressway ( no ups and down - signals -dog- cattle- human)
Old 8th March 2007, 14:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I am definetely interested.. However, the Indian "aftermarket" scene refuses to move beyond the usual stuff. Its always the showy stuff like alloy wheels, spoiler that are imported, because the demand is for only these items.
Hey spadival. Yes, what you're saying is very true that the aftermarket scene refuses to get new stuff fearing that they will not get any sales and so hangs on to the stuff that's popular here. Sadly, I guess to get an aftermarket electronic cruise control kit would be to import it via somebody from U.S. :sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
seems an interesting topic..but I fail to understand one point..

If we preset Cruise control on a stick shift at 100Kmph..things are fine..we need to brake to say 40 or even 30 or 20 kmph because of a stray dog / cattle..then what will happen..Mostly the car will stall as it will not pull from such low speeds..

Or do we manually downshift / upshift to until it accelarates to 100 Kmph.. slightly confusing..this part..any help to get clarity??
Hi headers! Lets get things clear.. Lets take this example

I'm on a straight empty road, while doing 100 km/h, I press "Set" to keep this in memory. Then I hit resume to let the cruise control take over the accel. It cruises steadily. Then i suddenly come upon a stray dog/cattle. Time to slow down rapidly. So I apply the brakes fully as in a normal way of driving without cruise control (tapping the clutch or the brake or the accel will terminate the control of the accel by the cruise control until the resume button is pressed.). Then I do the normal downshifting and upshifting. When on the top gear, I press resume and the car accelerates by itself until the preset speed is reached. (if the resume button is pressed on a lower gear, the car will attempt to reach that speed in that specific gear).

Hope this clears your doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
Am Afraid that is why this feature will not work in India, except strictly on expressway ( no ups and down - signals -dog- cattle- human)
Hi chanapli. Well those are there. But in some stretches, it would be useful. Because, I feel on the entire 190 km from home to my dad's factory, 50-100 km is manageable to have cruise control.

-Absar

Last edited by Absar : 8th March 2007 at 14:53.
Old 8th March 2007, 15:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
I'm on a straight empty road, while doing 100 km/h, I press "Set" to keep this in memory. Then I hit resume to let the cruise control take over the accel. It cruises steadily. Then i suddenly come upon a stray dog/cattle. Time to slow down rapidly. So I apply the brakes
-Absar
Wait, What if you mis-judged the pedal! I mean intead of Brake pressed the gas!. Possible error is it not?.
Old 8th March 2007, 15:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
Wait, What if you mis-judged the pedal! I mean intead of Brake pressed the gas!. Possible error is it not?.
Yes that can happen, but I feel it depends whether you know where your pedals are, and in the position your legs are resting at. If they would be resting, their position would be in the same place as in where I'd keep for normal driving, but on the floor or the side wall. Even with cruise control, the driver has to be alert.

-Absar
Old 8th March 2007, 15:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi headers! Lets get things clear.. Lets take this example

I'm on a straight empty road, while doing 100 km/h, I press "Set" to keep this in memory. Then I hit resume to let the cruise control take over the accel. It cruises steadily. Then i suddenly come upon a stray dog/cattle. Time to slow down rapidly. So I apply the brakes fully as in a normal way of driving without cruise control (tapping the clutch or the brake or the accel will terminate the control of the accel by the cruise control until the resume button is pressed.). Then I do the normal downshifting and upshifting. When on the top gear, I press resume and the car accelerates by itself until the preset speed is reached. (if the resume button is pressed on a lower gear, the car will attempt to reach that speed in that specific gear).

Hope this clears your doubt.

-Absar[/quote]

Yeah..that was superb and clear..maybe i should get one too for my vehicle.. need your help !!

Now another question..though a little silly..what will happen if i press resume button to my CC and do NOT SHIFT GEARS..and say am in 2nd..and max speed in 2nd is say 80..will the car just accelarate to 80 and stay there or try to over rev and screw the engine..just a curious doubt
Old 8th March 2007, 17:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
..what will happen if i press resume button to my CC and do NOT SHIFT GEARS..and say am in 2nd..and max speed in 2nd is say 80..will the car just accelarate to 80 and stay there or try to over rev and screw the engine..just a curious doubt
I'm also trying to get one kit for my vehicle.

Well.. Most of the present cruise control kits require a connection to the tach. But some of the kits do not require the connection to make it work. But it is recommended in some cases. Here's why.. Like the brake pedal, the tach also provides as a safety feature. If the engine's RPM reaches a certain rate like above 5,000, the cruise control will disengage preventing any possible harm to the engine.
Old 8th March 2007, 18:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

on the design i have finalized any input be it brake or accelerator will disable the cruize control. engage switch can be in gear shift or steering.
any speed you want to cruize press engage button, car will hold on to that speed( accelerator cable setting) pressing brake or accelerator will trip he system. complete system failure will not affect normal operation
only stuck up now is a stepper motor actuator. any one here knows about its availability in general electronics market?
Old 8th March 2007, 21:39   #24
BHPian

Hey gigy. Nice that you're experimenting on your own. I'm so sorry I don't know about stepper motor actuator. I came upon the autoclutch website and on clicking about us link, it is mentioned that "Final trials of Cruise Control being conducted.." Its been there for a long time. Any clue if its available in the market / release date of this cruise control kit?
Old 9th March 2007, 12:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Looking at an old thread..It seems Autopsyche has done it on his car ..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...html#post64517
Old 9th March 2007, 13:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...html#post64475

LOL.. I just had a deja vu moment when I read this
Old 9th March 2007, 15:29   #27
BHPian

Hi spadival. Ya I saw that thread. Yeah he did install it. But he was based in US that time while he installed it, so he could source the universal cruise control kit easily. That is the problem I'm facing. How to source it...?

Well I'm one of the 1% of the car owning population who wants to invest for an aftermarket cruise control kit.
Old 18th March 2007, 08:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys!
I'm in for CC.
Can this be fitted in my Palio D? I have got two dummy buttons doing nothing on my dash - I'll make use of them, or I'd simply love ot have that on steering wheel.

I can also help find the source,, we can get a couple of numbers to start with and if that works,, we'll get more to help all our friends here who are interested.
Is there anyone in Bangalore who is interested!! I can work with him on this.
I'll post moreinformation as soon as I get.
Old 18th March 2007, 08:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Here's another place I could find CCS100. I have been buying things from Amazon so that was the first thing I had a look at.

Read owner's comment on this. It looks like its a good product.
However, I have been reading about the electronic CC also here.
Can anyone tell me which one is better? and which one is good for my Palio Diesel!!!
Thank you.
Old 18th March 2007, 12:52   #30
BHPian

Hi ketan! Yeah it can be fitted on to the Palio D.. It's better to go for the electronic cruise control. Its easier, and is less of an hassle. Because the electronic cruise control kit doesn't need vaccum actuators.

I've been searching on the net, and the only best place to get this Rostra Universal Electronic Cruise Control kit is at Brandon Distributors, Minnesota, USA. And they don't ship to India. So I'm still thinking how to get it. I don't know any people in USA who would help in getting it and bringing/sending to India.

I want to try to get this cruise control without paying the duty/customs. Already the cruise control kit + control switch comes to 200$. If we'd have to pay the duty/customs and international shipping, it could be nearly double of it!!

So waiting for a better way to get it.

-Absar

Last edited by Absar : 18th March 2007 at 12:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks