Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2006, 00:47   #1
BHPian

Aftermarket Cruise Control

I drive up & down the Mumbai - Pune expressway quite often and when I'm not tempted into "dogfights" by the sound of a sport muffer going past or the friendly "catch-me-if-you-can" honking, I do quite sedate speeds of 80-120.

These are the times I really miss having a cruise control setup. The chore of keeping pressure on the accelerator when all I want is for the car to keep a constant speed is a real pain in the ... ahem ... foot !

Since I have not heard of any of the cars sold here in India coming equiped with 'em (maybe the 3 pointers do, but then those kits would probably cost more than my humble E2 Esteem !); I set off to build my own... but, while researching the "how-to" I came across quite a few aftermarket kits sold in the US which seem quite simple to install and (theoretically) look technically sound. Best of all you can get some of these for as little as $50 on ebay.com !(not the indian site, the US one).

There are a lot of no-name kits out there but I like the "Audiovox CCS 100" so far:

Have a look at this installation on a Mazda Miata:

http://www.miata.net/garage/MiataCCS100.htm

I'm wondering whether anybody is importing and / or installing these in Mumbai / Pune ? If so, what brand, what price and where do I get 'em...

I could handle the installation myself but if there is a pro out there with more experience, I dont mind paying for the installation as well.

- T u r b o C -
turbo_c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2006, 20:32   #2
BHPian

Found electric actuator versions that don't need a vacuum tap ! Even easier to install !

Check out:

http://www.rostra.com/cc-250-1223.asp

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...ductId=&brand=

Does anybody sell / install these in Mumbai / Pune ?

- T u r b o C -

Last edited by turbo_c : 13th March 2006 at 20:37.
Old 19th March 2006, 00:31   #3
BHPian

Oh, c'mon people ! Dont tell me that NOBODY on team-bhp has thought about installing one of these so far !

If nobody is importing them, I guess I'm just going to have to buy one of these on ebay.com or get a friend to pick one up off the shelf in the US.

- T u r b o C -
Old 19th March 2006, 01:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just imagine a small "technical" glitch and only God knows where and at what speed the car is headed .
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2007, 19:55   #5
BHPian

Hmm nitrous. I hope there won't be a technical glitch. But I also find the need for a cruise control kit. Where can I get it in India? Are the electric actuator versions compatible with the Indian cars?

Turbo_C, a long while has passed since you posted this. Have you installed a cruise control on your car yet? I looked into the links you posted. I liked the Rostra Electric Cruise Control Universal Kit. Very detailed instructions given too. Looks very interesting to fit on as in DIY.

Let me know if you got one of those.. Because I want to know from where/how did you get it.

Thank you

-Absar

Last edited by aah78 : 7th March 2007 at 04:28. Reason: posts merged
Absar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2007, 02:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Just imagine a small "technical" glitch and only God knows where and at what speed the car is headed .
you touch any control and cruise control switches itself off. if it doesn't because of a tech glitch, braking will still work.

only problem is what if car refuses to move because of such a glitch.....i guess when working with aftermarket, DIY kind of setup, it's best to have a bypass arrangement.

BTW nitrous, your comment is targetted towards cruise control in general rather than aftremarket kits specifically.
Old 7th March 2007, 09:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

i am thinking about it but not yet finalized the design. need a stepper motor design to make it preferably one with a clutch assy. if such motor is available i market which works in 10-15v dc range then i can setup one. maybe we can use the stepper motor assy of lpg unit. as of now i am quite busy designing fire extingusher system for car, yesterday again saw a honda city on fire i powai. the sixth vehicle i am seeing burning.
Old 7th March 2007, 09:56   #8
BHPian

Not sure how it works on stick shift.. I have noticed the car changing gear automatically on automatic transmission on uphill.
Old 7th March 2007, 10:29   #9
BHPian

Hi chanapli. Cruise control on stick shift is the same as in a/t but doesnt up/downshift automatically. It runs in the gear the car is running in.

example:
On a/t vehicles, mostly the cruise control depends on the rpm too. So if it goes below 2,000 rpm while bein preset for 100 km/h and going uphill, it downshifts.

On a stick shift, a car with a preset of 100 km/h, the cruise control tries to maintain or accelerate to that speed in the same gear the car is running in without choice of up/downshifting.
Old 7th March 2007, 23:29   #10
BHPian

Hasn't anyone fitted on those electric cruise control kits onto Indian cars?? Anyone? No one is interested in aftermarket cruise control I guess! No one feels the urge for cruise control on longgg trips huh...?
Absar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2007, 05:58   #11
BANNED

But is keeping a vehicle at constant RPM/speeds harmful for the engine ?
Old 8th March 2007, 09:25   #12
BHPian

Hi mithun. Well, keeping the car at constant rpm/speed isn't harmful. It may be harmful at high rpm's, but not at the optimal rpm range of a vehicle (i.e. 3,000 - 4,000 rpm). In fact, keeping the speed steady rather as much as possible in that range is good for the engine and it'll return good mileage too.

-Absar
Old 8th March 2007, 10:48   #13
BANNED

i have really thought about it but its a scary deal with the factory giving it in the first place and now if we install from outside and something goes wrong...... i would not want that now...
Old 8th March 2007, 11:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
i have really thought about it but its a scary deal with the factory giving it in the first place and now if we install from outside and something goes wrong...... i would not want that now...
Hello jesal, if the factory gives it in the first place, then why would we want to put an aftermarket kit? If the factory (you mean car manufacturer) gives it then whats the scary deal in it? Or do you mean the factory as in Rostra etc? Well the electronic cruise control kit isn't difficult. Its the vacuum actuator version that is complicated. Looking onto the instructions for fitting on an electric cruise control kit, its easy, almost as in DIY.

Last edited by Absar : 8th March 2007 at 12:02.
Old 8th March 2007, 12:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

I am definetely interested.. However, the Indian "aftermarket" scene refuses to move beyond the usual stuff. Its always the showy stuff like alloy wheels, spoiler that are imported, because the demand is for only these items.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks