Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 12:58   #46
BHPian

Re: Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Sorry guys, I could not find time to update the thread and when I really did, it did not occur to me that this is pending.

...I strongly recommend this guy and of course, if you can find one such guy I strongly recommend denting too!

Edit: Pics will be posted soon!

Edit again:

Attachment 867990

Attachment 867991
Anil, Would it be possible for you to create a separate thread in the Directory section for the garage where you got this done? it would be helpful for Pune guys. Also looks like your inbox of private mesages is full. could not send a PM to you.
Old 28th June 2012, 14:14   #47
BHPian

I need directions to Shetty's Garage, baner as I have minor dent repair work on front right fender and Bumper.
Old 28th June 2012, 14:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I need directions to Shetty's Garage, baner as I have minor dent repair work on front right fender and Bumper.
Coming from HJW side, on the highway, exit out at Baner octroi road (The next exit is the one that leads to Baner proper). Continue till the end till you reach a 'T'. Take right and continue for say 500m. This will be on your right. The approach road is easy to miss and it's best to ask for direction. If you see Darshan tyres on your right, you have overshot it.

Coming from Kothrud side, exit at Baner (under the overbridge) and continue till Balewadi phata. Take left. The approach road will be on left about 50 m after darshan tyres.

Coming from Univ circle, take right at balewadi phata and refer above.
mmxylorider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 14:45   #49
BHPian

Hello Anilisanil / mmxylorider, my Figo has received some dents near the front right wheel arc / bumper area. The bumper has come out from body in that area and there are some dents, and paint has gone. Wife could not reverse well and the car scratched a pillar in parking. The pictures are attached. Local garage was saying he needs to paint the full side panel above the wheel arc and hence quoted 3K rupees for the same. How much Shetty's would charge for this work? I am not based in Pune nowadays hence the query here. Will take it to them the next time I visit Pune
Attached Thumbnails
Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-dsc_0091.jpg  

Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-dsc_0092.jpg  

Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-dsc_0093.jpg  

Old 2nd August 2012, 12:22   #50
BHPian

Shipnil,

My Xylo had a front dash causing the bumper to bulge out and also damage to wheel fender panel. It was definitely worse than the dent your car has. To give an idea, I also had to get the LHS front headlamp assembly changed!

Excluding the cost of the assembly, the cost of repairing the dent/bumper and painting came to shade under 3K at Shetty's. I would think it would not be more than 2-2.5k in your case.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 20:22   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Need urgent advise

Guys, I need some quick tips/advise regarding somewhat a serious collision with our Omni which is just 5 months old and needs serious bodywork. Sincere apologies that I cannot provide the pictures as I was occupied with the negotiations with surveyor. Anyways here is the case:

The Omni was being used to ferry some material by our driver to a house in my native which was being renovated. He was not our usual driver but a new one. This fellow took the car out for lunch and apparently he took some alcohol too. While returning, he crashed into a compound at the end of our house. We were lucky enough there was no bodily damage or injuries to both him or anyone around. He fled the scene before we even came to know of the incident. During the turn to our road, he was not attentive enough to centre the steering and crashed the car. The extent of the damage is not much from outside, but once the car was stripped, we came to know what was lying underneath. Here is the description of the damage:

The left corner of the car hit the corner of the compound. The area below the A pillar took the initial brunt. The force made a dent in the A pillar. From there, the force of the impact was transferred to the LH door, which crumpled and became convex. From the door, the force was transferred to the B pillar, which again is dislocated slightly rearwards. The LH side floor of the car is also bent, taking some amount of impact. In all, the front left of the car has moved rearwards, but the structure looks flawless from a distance. When I entered the repair area, I couldn't make out the damage.

So, as per estimate, front panel will be replaced. Also, door, wheel arch and B Pillar will be replaced by cut and weld method. I inspected the facility in Kolar where the car currently is. They have good equipment, spot welding machine, Paint booth etc. However, the A pillar has slightly been dented and has been dislocated. The SA said that they will PULL it back to shape and repaint it. Same goes with the floor. It will be pulled to shape and then painted.

My question - in such cases, wont the spot welds get weak by pulling and pushing? Doesn't the structural integrity be lost too? I suggested they straighten things out, and replace all panels instead of leaving the old panels, after applying stress onto them. One plus point is that no panels have to be cut, and only weld areas must be separated. Another weakness of the car is that there are a number of welded joints all over the body. Wont these weaken due to straightening given they are spot and seam welds? So I suggested that they replace panels after the old ones are straightened. Is this a good idea?

The surveyor told the opposite that it is better they be straightened and left as it is. But I feel the opposite. If it were a car with much better construction, I could have trusted the strength. Given how weak the panels are, I feel they will lose their small amount of strength present too.

Leaving financial constraints apart, is replacing the floor and A pillar a better idea than straightening and leaving things as it is, CONSIDERING it is an ONNI with a very dismal kind of construction?
Old 28th April 2013, 11:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Pulling in a customized Jig is the method used allover the world. If the operators are good,then the frame comes back to its normal shape.

Replacement is fine for panels but for major structural components re aligning by pulling is the only method. Cutting and welding is only in case the members are badly mangled.

After the chassis and the structural members are re-aligned, please ask the SA to get every weld checked, and if found wanting add fresh spot welds.

After the re alignment is done, get the paint stripped and primer applied.

A better option is to sell the car after repairs and get a new one. You undergo a minor loss but you will have a new car.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 12:47   #53
Senior - BHPian

If only body panels are damaged, its always cheaper to get them dented and repainted, rather than getting a new body in white panel, attaching it and getting it painted. For structural members, like pillars, chassis or body frame, its better to get a new frame instead of pulling, cutting, denting or welding the old frame. Structural safety of repairing such a damaged car cannot be guranteed.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 22:51   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the inputs. Speaking about the structure, the car is designed in such a way that unlike our sedans and hatches, there is no outer skin panels like fenders etc which can be bolted on and off. The parts which require repair are A Pillar, front floor, wheel arch, B Pillar. Front left door will be replaced. i dont have any direct knowledge about the repair methods. But from what I have seen in youtube and other places, the chassis is first pulled back to shape by the jig. Then the old panels are cut and new panels welded. I am talking about a mercedes here.

So in the same way, isn't it better if the panels or members are replaced once they are pulled back to shape?

If only the damage was much severe, we could have gone for total loss, which I would anyday prefer for a new car with no depreciation. Unfortunately we are not able to convince or rather the situation is not that severe. Perhaps a sedan or a hatch would have taken the impact in a better way.
Old 12th May 2013, 22:45   #55
BHPian

Folks a small doubt Shetty's Garage Baner and Shetty's Maruti Service are same..? Can some one give a feedback on Shetty's Garage's paint job quality..?
Old 13th May 2013, 10:03   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Folks a small doubt Shetty's Garage Baner and Shetty's Maruti Service are same..? Can some one give a feedback on Shetty's Garage's paint job quality..?
There are 3 shetty brothers operating garages at Baner, Jagtap Dairy and Aundh.

I am quite happy with the quality of service and the paint job done when I had some work on the Xylo done. Couple of other people I've suggested this to have been pleased as well.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 10:17   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
There are 3 shetty brothers operating garages at Baner, Jagtap Dairy and Aundh.
Couple of other people I've suggested this to have been pleased as well.
Thanks for the reply.

I saw your recommendation for Shetty's Garage, Baner. How about others..? If you can please PM me the contact details of garages. I stay at Kasarwadi so naturally I prefer Aundh/Jagtap Diary locations.
Old 13th May 2013, 10:27   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
....you can please PM me the contact details of garages. I stay at Kasarwadi so naturally I prefer Aundh/Jagtap Diary locations.
I do not have the numbers for the other location though googling it might get results. Alternatively, Baner # is 9850262007 and you could get the other numbers from him.
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:29   #59
BHPian

I am in a bit of dillema, just found out a huge scratch on my swift bonnet

Not sure what to do, recently had given my car for repairs at MASS for side panel dent job,

should i leave it as it is (grinds on my nerves - like my lil dzire in pristine condition) or again give for repairs, its on the hood, so any idea how much tentatively the cost will be , my question is more of taking other members opinion -
Attached Thumbnails
Which is better? Denting or replacing the part?-dsc_0002.jpg  

Old 24th September 2013, 11:46   #60
Senior - BHPian

get it repaired. There is a hole at the end of the scratch, so rust will start there and propagate. The least you can do is to get the hole cleaned and apply primer on the bare metal.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks