Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2006, 16:36   #16
BHPian

Cheats of Bangalore

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by giri
Car manufacturers specify the fuel tank capcity measurement, say 35 liters.
Hi Giri,

I don't think you have been cheated. The manufacturer specifies the Fuel Tank capacity, which in your case is 35 litres. However, The connecting Hose from the Fuel Tank mouth to the filler cap could take in considerable quantity of fuel and this could be the difference and cause for your anxiety. Considering that the fuel tank was empty it could still have about half a litre in it, therefore in should not be surprising when an extra litre is filled over and above the specified capacity.

The biggest cheat you can find in Bangalore is the Bunk next to Symphony Theatre on MG Road, Bangalore. Some months back I had my tank filled up here and it took in 72 litres while the specifird capacity is only 65 + 2 (Hose area ) = 67 litres. When I reported this to the manager, the guy was awfully rude and asked me to complain at the Police station. He even said that I could do whatever I want. I parked the Car right there at the dispenser, engaged the Hand Brake and locked my car and started walking to the cop station. The entire gang at the bunk prevented me from doing this. I asked those guys to drain the tank and measure the fuel, else I would call the company guys to do it. It was only then that the manager called me aside and asked me as to how much , I felt was filled up. I only paid them for the 65 litres and never ever returned to them again.

Last edited by varunroy : 25th March 2006 at 16:38.
Old 25th July 2006, 02:23   #17
BHPian

general mileage question- how to fill full tank?

[SIZE=2]I need to check the mileage on my Swift Vxi, i need to know how to fill full tank. Should i fill it to the brim or till the nozzle in the pump goes out automaically?

Does the nozzle go out automatically at constant levels of the fuel tank or does it vary?

These Reliance pumps always pump to the last drop, i can see the petrol just a mm below the fuel lid.

Thanks a lot.
[/SIZE]

Note from moderator : Threads merged as similar topic exists

Last edited by tsk1979 : 25th July 2006 at 08:35.
Old 25th July 2006, 02:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Fill your tank to the brim, because the first auto cut can vary between pumps.

For the benefit of others ill just write down the process anyway.

Once youve done that, set your trip meter on zero and use the whole of the full tank in your normal driving conditions. Fill it up again as soon as you reach close to empty levels. Again fill it up to the brim as before, now you have your kms done on the trip meter, and the amount of fuel youve consumed.
Old 25th July 2006, 04:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
Fill your tank to the brim, because the first auto cut can vary between pumps.

For the benefit of others ill just write down the process anyway.

Once youve done that, set your trip meter on zero and use the whole of the full tank in your normal driving conditions. Fill it up again as soon as you reach close to empty levels. Again fill it up to the brim as before, now you have your kms done on the trip meter, and the amount of fuel youve consumed.
Why do you have to wait till its close to empty? If you fill the tank to the brim again even midway the pump will show you how much fuel has gone in and that is how much you have consumed.
Old 25th July 2006, 06:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

threads of the same topic exists. Do search before you post a new thread.
Old 25th July 2006, 07:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ement-how.html

ther!
Old 28th September 2006, 08:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

This was extremely shocking. You should have taken them to cleaners...

[quote=varunroy]
Quote:

Hi Giri,

I don't think you have been cheated. The manufacturer specifies the Fuel Tank capacity, which in your case is 35 litres. However, The connecting Hose from the Fuel Tank mouth to the filler cap could take in considerable quantity of fuel and this could be the difference and cause for your anxiety. Considering that the fuel tank was empty it could still have about half a litre in it, therefore in should not be surprising when an extra litre is filled over and above the specified capacity.

The biggest cheat you can find in Bangalore is the Bunk next to Symphony Theatre on MG Road, Bangalore. Some months back I had my tank filled up here and it took in 72 litres while the specifird capacity is only 65 + 2 (Hose area ) = 67 litres. When I reported this to the manager, the guy was awfully rude and asked me to complain at the Police station. He even said that I could do whatever I want. I parked the Car right there at the dispenser, engaged the Hand Brake and locked my car and started walking to the cop station. The entire gang at the bunk prevented me from doing this. I asked those guys to drain the tank and measure the fuel, else I would call the company guys to do it. It was only then that the manager called me aside and asked me as to how much , I felt was filled up. I only paid them for the 65 litres and never ever returned to them again.
Old 28th September 2006, 09:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

My safari has a tank capacity of 65 ltrs as mentioned in the manual. I fill when the gauge needle reaches the red mark and also the fill fuel indicator starts lighting up. Whenver I have topped it takes about 45-50 ltrs and when the needle travels further down the red mark, it is around 55ltrs.

It has never been full 65 ltrs or so. Actually, I don't like to scrape the bottom of fuel tanl for the fear of impurities etc. getting sucked in.
Old 28th September 2006, 14:07   #24
rks
BANNED

Although my Santro is supposed to have 35-lit tank, I have never managed to fill in more than about 28 lits at any time. In fact the fuel gauge seems to behave as though the tank is 30 its - from full to half-full is just about 15 lits, although I didn't check with tank-full -- just gauge indication. Have always wondered about this. Maybe the gauge is wrong, but I go by it. The fuel-empty light indication has come on one only once in the last 6 years, and I don't remember how many lits I filled up --but definitely less than 30 lits.
Old 28th September 2006, 14:22   #25
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parijnan
Yeah Shell is good. I use only Shell regular 91 octance for my car.
Shell petrol is good. I fill my bullet from there.
But i stopped taking diesel from there for my car when i found milage goes down with diesel from Shell. But HP turbojet and Indianoil Extra miles give considerable increase in milage.
Old 28th September 2006, 16:19   #26
BHPian

i take the second option because after the autofilling shuts down my getz dozes another 7 liters of fuel.....
Old 1st October 2006, 12:15   #27

always check the zero before they fill in at the pump; they usually cheat us if the previous customer has filled in say 100 rupees worth or 1 litre - this is easy because our mind registers the zero and the 1 usually is not seen if you are not particularly attentive!! i caught them trying to cheat me twice with this trick!! it's not the pump owner but the employee who pockets the difference
Old 30th August 2007, 14:47   #28
BHPian

Fuel tank capacity is much more!!

I have just bought a new Chevrolet Spark 2 weeks back. As recommended by the dealer (Garuda Autocraft) I went to Whitefield Shell petrol station to fill up. The indicator was just about touching the Red line and there was no low fuel warning lamp on (according to the user manual it comes on if the fuel in the car tank goes below 4 litres). I asked the attendant to fill her up full tank. The fuel nozzle clicked at the 27 liter mark. I then asked him to 'Top up'. He started to top up and the pump indicated 41.2 liters when the tank was finally full.
When I got back to office and checked the manual it stated that the Tank capacity for the spark is 38 liters!! Assuming that there was 4 liters in the tank at least is it possible to fill 45 liters of fuel in a 38 liter tank? I checked with the Garuda service guys and they confirmed that the fuel capacity is not more than 38 liters.

So i guess there are 2 possible explanations here:
1. The low fuel warning is not working and I had almost run out of fuel. (it still does not explain where the 3.2 liters of fuel went)
2. Shell took me for a ride!

Both look remote, considering its a new car and we all go to Shell cause they are honest right?

i would like really appreciate if fellow boarders can try and explain this.

thanks,
ethan

Mod's Note: Always search for an existing thread on the subject and post in it rather than opening a new one. Threads merged.
Old 30th August 2007, 15:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
The fuel nozzle clicked at the 27 liter mark. I then asked him to 'Top up'. He started to top up and the pump indicated 41.2 liters when the tank was finally full.
generally from the auto shut, the tank can take additional 3 litres of fuel. With an extra showing and shaking another 1 litre can be filled. How did you manage to take from 27 to 41.2?
Old 30th August 2007, 15:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
generally from the auto shut, the tank can take additional 3 litres of fuel. With an extra showing and shaking another 1 litre can be filled. How did you manage to take from 27 to 41.2?
Thats what puzzles me the most. As soon as the I heard the auto shut, i expected a couple of liters more but when the meter kept on running I got out of the car and personally checked to make sure the attendant was filling in the petrol. He did shove in the petrol and waited for the air to come out but no shaking.

Most Viewed