Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th December 2017, 19:43   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fuel tank capacity measurement, how?

I don't mean to suggest that petrol pumps do cheat, but if there was a way for them to do it, they would have enough tweaks in the mechanism to make sure there is a lot of gimmick before it cuts off (I also understand they are supposed to have ways of measuring actual fuel and prove it to a customer who questions the quantity, so it's not easy). Having said that, top-up as it is called popularly, is a crime; because you pay for fuel you're not sure is being filled in or not. Always remember that you measure the amount of fuel only by the counter in the fuel station dispenser. You never know when you're wrong.

I guess the best way to ascertain FE is to just go reserve to reserve instead of almost-empty to almost-empty with a mix of top-up confusions.

And my sincere suggestion would be to stay away from top-up offers, unless you desperately need a longer range and you're not sure of a good fuel station nearby.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 09:19   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
You generally can squeeze in more fuel if you try to fill it up to the brim, anywhere between 3-5 liters would be my guess. Did you stop at the auto cut off? If not, then there is a high probability of more fuel being filled.
Thanks for the Info Arvind. No I did not stop at auto cutoff. Maybe I should have because there was this foul smell of petrol inside car for the next 20-25 Km's for the first time since I bought the car. I guess we should not fill it till the brim.
RaghuVis is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 09:30   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Thanks for the Info Arvind. No I did not stop at auto cutoff. Maybe I should have because there was this foul smell of petrol inside car for the next 20-25 Km's for the first time since I bought the car. I guess we should not fill it till the brim.
Yes auto cut off would work well enough, unless you are desperate for a higher range. Auto cut off also works well to calculate the mileage as you have a set amount of liters that will go in each time, so calculation becomes more accurate. I always do an auto cut off only.
arvind71181 is online now   Reply With Quote