Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2007, 15:48   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanh_hunt View Post
When I got back to office and checked the manual it stated that the Tank capacity for the spark is 38 liters!! Assuming that there was 4 liters in the tank at least is it possible to fill 45 liters of fuel in a 38 liter tank? I checked with the Garuda service guys and they confirmed that the fuel capacity is not more than 38 liters.
I think actual size of tank is 40 or 42, there is 2-4 litre of 'dead stock'. Don't remember exact size. But it is unlikely that you managed to reach fuel station with total dry tank. I think it is intentional or unintentional mistake of the attendant in resetting to zero.
Old 30th August 2007, 15:50   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Although my Santro is supposed to have 35-lit tank, I have never managed to fill in more than about 28 lits at any time. The fuel-empty light indication has come on one only once in the last 6 years, and I don't remember how many lits I filled up --but definitely less than 30 lits.
The maximum I've put in my Santro was 33 litres and that was after taking the car from the showroom. Then later after few months, just as the low fuel light came on, I was entering the fuel station. The car took in 30 litres of fuel. I love taking the car when the low fuel light is on, nice beeping sound it gives..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanh_hunt View Post
The fuel nozzle clicked at the 27 liter mark. I then asked him to 'Top up'. He started to top up and the pump indicated 41.2 liters when the tank was finally full. The manual stated that the Tank capacity for the spark is 38 liters!!
I'm sure the attendant would've cheated you by the various ways in the nozzle. Otherwise no chance at all squeezing that much of fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
generally from the auto shut, the tank can take additional 3 litres of fuel. With an extra showing and shaking another 1 litre can be filled. How did you manage to take from 27 to 41.2?
I agree abhilashvk! The amount between 27 to 41.2 is 14.2 litres. It's a lot! Not possible at all. Has to be the ways of nozzle tricks.

cya
A
Old 30th August 2007, 17:04   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
I think actual size of tank is 40 or 42, there is 2-4 litre of 'dead stock'. Don't remember exact size. But it is unlikely that you managed to reach fuel station with total dry tank. I think it is intentional or unintentional mistake of the attendant in resetting to zero.
MODS: sincere apologies, my bad. Thought my problem was unique! will take care to search before I post next time.

Radek how much max have you filled in and where did you get this info about the 42 liter tank. Spark being a new car even the Service guys are not sure. When i called them up about this issue they said they would check with GM engineers but insisted that officially it was 35 liters and 3 liters was 'extra' The more I think about it more I am convinced that I got conned
Old 30th August 2007, 18:37   #34
BHPian

[quote]more I think about it more I am convinced that I got conned/QUOTE]
Very unlikely at a shell petrol bunk.
Old 31st August 2007, 12:04   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
Very unlikely at a shell petrol bunk.
i know. What would you suggest I do to find out whats wrong here?
I have driven the car for about 60km now and the fuel gauge is still at 'F'. I was thinking that I will wait this time till the low fuel warning lamp comes on before refueling and then check how much goes in this time
Old 5th September 2007, 19:08   #36
BHPian

Filled in petrol again today when the low fuel warning came on and asked to be topped up and guess what it took in 42 liters again. I asked the shell attend to fill in the 5 liter test jar and confirmed that there was nothing wrong with the fuel nozzle. It looks like I can fill in about 45 liters in the car even though officially its only 38 liters.

Also spoke to the Service center guy and he confirmed that more fuel can be loaded in but advised against it as it might harm the engine. Not sure how?
Old 14th September 2009, 12:36   #37
BHPian

Hi guys,

Accent fuel tank capacity is 45 litres. When I bought the car, I was able to fill 32- 34 Litres at the redmark (some times also when the low fuel warning was on). Off-late, I am able to fill only 30 Litres max when the low fuel warning is on. All numbers are auto-cut off from the same fuel station and same dispenser.

I tried putting in more fuel after auto-cut off last time, and was able to pour in another 1 liter. I even tried and chnaged the Petrol station once (went to Shell) but there was no difference.
But i feel that I must be able to fill in around 40 liters of fuel at one go. The fuel needle barely manages to touch the F mark after refueling. Also, the car runs 12-13 Kms on a liter of fuel. The fuel gauge fall rapidly till the half way mark. It almost touches the half mark after 100-120 KMs of driving. Then the bottom half sticks for a long time.
Is the gauge behaving properly? Is the fuel tank correct and in good shape? What can be the possible reasons for the fuel capacity going down?

TIA..
Old 14th September 2009, 12:56   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrinalSinha View Post
Hi guys,

Accent fuel tank capacity is 45 litres. When I bought the car, I was able to fill 32- 34 Litres at the redmark (some times also when the low fuel warning was on). Off-late, I am able to fill only 30 Litres max when the low fuel warning is on. All numbers are auto-cut off from the same fuel station and same dispenser.

I tried putting in more fuel after auto-cut off last time, and was able to pour in another 1 liter. I even tried and chnaged the Petrol station once (went to Shell) but there was no difference.
But i feel that I must be able to fill in around 40 liters of fuel at one go. The fuel needle barely manages to touch the F mark after refueling. Also, the car runs 12-13 Kms on a liter of fuel. The fuel gauge fall rapidly till the half way mark. It almost touches the half mark after 100-120 KMs of driving. Then the bottom half sticks for a long time.
Is the gauge behaving properly? Is the fuel tank correct and in good shape? What can be the possible reasons for the fuel capacity going down?

TIA..
Mrinal, your facing the same problem i had faced when i bought my accent 3 years ago. Despite being a 45L tank capacity, i never could have filled the correct number of litres ( which should be 37-38L) at low fuel warning stage. I checked with Talwar and Lakshmi and they tried several ways to get the problem sorted out. The problem is in fuel display system.

Ask them to open the fuel tank and manually fill the entire tank and check the display system and they will figure out where the problem lies.

Regarding your second query, Accent fuel display system is behaving correctly ( contradictory to above) since now when i fill 37L, my mark drops to just before halfway mark when i am at 170kms or so after the tank-full but slows down thereafter and i have covered more than 300kms and fuel mark is just below the half mark, meaning it hardly moved down.

Thereafter the mark again dips fast and just before the white line it slows down again and when i get the low fuel warning, i would have covered anywhere between 500-515 kms depending on from where i filled diesel.
In a way, Accent does behave strangely on the fuel guage system

So not sure why you are not able to fill more than 30L of petrol.

Suggest you check with Lakshmi and talk to Ashwarth Reddy and refer my name to him, he should be able to help you out.
Old 14th September 2009, 14:27   #39
BHPian

^^^ Thankyou mobike gaaru!

I will try seeing the KUN guys first (thats where I am getting everything done till date and 'Touchwood', I am happy.)
Old 16th September 2009, 03:38   #40
BHPian

just a couple of new perspectives to the issue:

1. Many manufacturers (e.g Tata) have the common fuel tank body across a model's variants. As a marketing gimmick, the float's default settings are slightly different. That's why, for one variant of indica, the needle maxes @ 37 lts, whereas for a 'higher' <caugh> <caugh> variant, it maxes out at 44.

2. One should be careful while "topping" up the fuel right uptil the brim of the neck. If you notice, there is a secondary rubber tube that connects the top of the fuel tank to the top of the main feeder-neck. The purpose is towards HC emission reduction (recirculation of fuel vapours). Just make sure that you are not filling even this tube up with fuel ... (might explain the unexpected extra capacity)

3. Esp. for older vehicles : there is a reason why the fuel tank is not made of rubber : precisely the reason that one shouldn't drive around a car which carries fuel in the rubber-neck leading to the tank...

4. if u observe people filling petrol in plastic bottles : a significant quantity of bubbles is formed in the upper part of the bottle (similar to filling a glass of water from a high-intensity tap). If you allow for the bubbles to settle, a little more fuel goes in the bottle.... (without having to shake it around)

5. It might be a good idea to keep track of the time of the day while seeing a pattern in the amount (liters) of fuel filled. It is a documented fact that Petrol has a lower density during the day (due to higher ambient temperature). Therefore, the same volume of fuel filled at noon and again at midnight might have a dissimilar amount of fuel (in Kg).
Old 21st September 2009, 15:18   #41

Reserve Tank Capacity For I10 MAGNA

Hi All

Would Someone Please Tell Me Whats The Reserve Fuel Quantuty In An I10.i Mean When Does The Light Actually Glow?
Old 21st September 2009, 18:30   #42
Team-BHP Support

Reserve fuel capacity should be mentioned in the car's user manual, usually it will be around 5 liters. Other i10 users can help.
Old 21st September 2009, 21:20   #43
BHPian

I experience this. My ride is Ford Ikon Flair. I always use Shell Normal as I have 2 Shell Bunks within 3 Kms from my house. Whenever I get auto cut off, my car takes almost 9-10 liters and this is consistent. I cant get the logic behind it. Again I went through this whole thread and still cant decide whether to fill till the brim or stop at auto cut off ?
Old 21st September 2009, 23:07   #44
Team-BHP Support

I suggest you take the mid way and wait for second auto cut off in slow fill mode. What i follow is after the cut off i round it off to the next liter or 100 which ever is closer.
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:54   #45
BHPian

Ok. Will try this this week and let you know here. Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks