Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2006, 08:47   #1
BHPian

Fuel tank capacity measurement, how?

Car manufacturers specify the fuel tank capcity measurement, say 35 liters.

My query is, when you fill fuel at the petrol pump when is the "full tank" measurement reached (i.e the specified 35 liters):

1. When the auto-filler shuts off?

or

2. When you are no longer able to get any more fuel into the tank (after rocking, shoving and jiggling the vehicle)

The reason for asking is that all fuel efficiency computations that are made by us depends on reliably determining how much fuel is consumed between successive "full tanks".
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

I use the second option. And, last week I had to fill the tank up as I was to ride 500k for tbhp meet. The pump attendant filled my tank withmy help and we managed 36L on a santro!!!! HOw is this possible? I accept that my car's tank was almost empty but 36???
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:26   #3
BHPian

those 35 lires is the capacity of fuel tank.
and that rocking, shoving and jiggling the vehicle allows you to fill some extra fuel in the pipeline upto fuel tank. there are also some 'air-pockets' in the tank, which gets built up due to presence of air in tank.

that rocking, shoving and jiggling the vehicle disperses those air-packets and let you fill upto true 35 litres capacity and some more in the pipeline.

if you fills upto the brim after all that rocking, shoving and jiggling, you might have about 36 ltrs of petrol at best!!

but it is better not to fill it everytime to the brim, it can be considered as unsafe practice. once in a while is okay.

and that dispenser of petrol cuts-off the moment it senses that there is no more space to force another dash of fuel.
when the tank almost gets filled, the flow of fuel in pipeline-to-tank gets reduced and this makes the dispenser-nozzle to 'sense' the tank-full and cuts it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
I use the second option. And, last week I had to fill the tank up as I was to ride 500k for tbhp meet. The pump attendant filled my tank withmy help and we managed 36L on a santro!!!! HOw is this possible? I accept that my car's tank was almost empty but 36???
you have been cheated no doubt.
coz when you entered the petrol pump, there might be some petrol left in that 35 ltr tank. and that is why in no case a santro can gulp down 36 ltrs of fuel on such a half-empty stomach!

or is it so that you went completely out of fuel and pushed the car to the dispenser? if it is so then there might be chances that your santro took 36 ltrs of fuel. for clarification over this thing, please refer my last reply.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st September 2009 at 23:41. Reason: Old posts merged.
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
you have been cheated no doubt.
coz when you entered the petrol pump, there might be some petrol left in that 35 ltr tank. and that is why in no case a santro can gulp down 36 ltrs of fuel on such a half-empty stomach!

or is it so that you went completely out of fuel and pushed the car to the dispenser? if it is so then there might be chances that your santro took 36 ltrs of fuel. for clarification over this thing, please refer my last reply.
yup was almost empty I think I was lucky to reach teh station with 2-3 lit Shhhh! I dont trust my local pump and drive 20km for filling up the tank.
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

oh! then for Santro its 35 + 8l res
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:18   #6
DRC
BHPian

I had the same experinece in Pulsar, gulped a 20 liters in nearly empty tank!!! But I got to know I was taken for a ride. Unlike cars, bikes are straight forward, No pipeline fundas.

In my car, I usualy stop at the kick of the gun. But once, on a nearly empty tank, the gun kicked in at 40 and but rocking and jiggling, managed to force 5 more liters.. Don't know how!
Old 22nd March 2006, 15:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
But once, on a nearly empty tank, the gun kicked in at 40 and but rocking and jiggling, managed to force 5 more liters.. Don't know how!
what car you have? and what is its actual tank capacity as per the user's manual?

but from your post it seems that you too are cheated.
try changing the petrol station to a more realiable one, and do it again.
and DO keep an eye on the meter of dispenser while fuel is pouring in your tank.
Old 22nd March 2006, 16:07   #8
DRC
BHPian

yes, with pulsar, i got cheated,..Reddy bunk Nehru circle!

I drive a fiat Petra, which takes 47 litres full tank..
And this happened in Shell station, But here I got the usual FE for 45L. And have tried this a couple of times, every time the guy managers to force feed 5 liters after the kick in..

My kick in-kick in filling is always consistent. So I do not doubt the quantity
Old 22nd March 2006, 17:42   #9
BHPian

At times I have managed to fill in about 17 litres in my Pulsar's claimed 18 litre fuel tank. I already had 3 litres reserve. Either the manufacturers are being conservative or the petrol pump cheated me.
Old 22nd March 2006, 18:56   #10
BHPian

You can always do this ....

In case you feel that you have been cheated by petrol pump, you can fill petrol in an empty bottle and measure the quantity of petrol in the bottle.
Old 23rd March 2006, 11:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
yes, with pulsar, i got cheated,..Reddy bunk Nehru circle!
These guys in Seshadripuram? I thought these guys were very Reliable!
Old 23rd March 2006, 12:56   #12
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay
These guys in Seshadripuram? I thought these guys were very Reliable!
I too, Untill this incedent.. I was regularly using this station as it is very close to my house.. Now sticking to Shell
Old 23rd March 2006, 13:08   #13
BHPian

ONCE i went to petrol pump in panjutta(Hyderabad) to fill my Opter and it took 60.83L...
it was on reserve...
i was a bit angry as it was like i didnt have any fule on reserve..
since then i never filled petrol from that pump...
Old 23rd March 2006, 18:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
I too, Untill this incedent.. I was regularly using this station as it is very close to my house.. Now sticking to Shell
Yeah Shell is good. I use only Shell regular 91 octance for my car.
Old 23rd March 2006, 20:53   #15
BHPian

Try this one out

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay
These guys in Seshadripuram? I thought these guys were very Reliable![/quote
]

There's another IBP one at seshadripuram 1st main Road, next to Lotus Motors ( about half a Kilometer from Manipal Motors Showroom). Probably the best I have seen in Bangalore in terms of Quantity and Quality. I have Known the Owners and the workers for almost 15 years. They are the no-nonsense types. No commission to Cab Drivers, No kick back to Govt. car drivers. Reasonably good service too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks