Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2008, 13:28   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Finally, if there is no curb, use a stone to act like curb and turn the wheel towards road.
Perfect solution. I like that. In fact if your handbrake is suspect, its best to carry a brick in your car.

Quote:
And I am done with this topic which got restarted allover after 2 years.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 29th March 2008, 13:45   #62
Team-BHP Support

I started wondering why this issue is so debated. Afterall, the discussion started with the assumption that there is curb. Member revharder who believed in towards the curb technique (see first post) hasn't been active for 13 months.

When you remove the curb, it becomes quite confusing, rises questions. All I am saying is if there is no curb, go further to the side or find a stone. If you can't go further to the side, then there must be something there, a ditch or wall which will stop the car.

Suppose if you have to park away from any obstruction. I started wondering why this is such a complicated issue. I googled a little to see what is the general understanding, then it stuck me. The light bulb went on.

When I say keep it turned, I mean completely locked to one side. Which is why I said in #55 that it will turn 90 degree irrespectively and come to rest while there is no curb.

While I googled I found many people saying it will run down towards the road all the way. That means they have only slightly tlited the steering, not locked the steering all the way.

I think I found the bone of contention. I was thinking about steering turned completely, Prabuddha was thinking slight twist to the steering. In that case he is right, the car will start rolling and gets out of the road.
Old 29th March 2008, 13:52   #63
BHPian

Come on man, you said you were done with this topic. It really has been thrashed out of its wits.

I'll keep my handbrake in shape and keep a brick under my seat.
Old 29th March 2008, 14:11   #64
Senior - BHPian

Any way..one has to park within 6 inches of the curb, wall etc..else its pathetic parking and could be towed away!

I liked GDs method the best!. Put 2 bricks before the wheel: LOL
Old 29th March 2008, 15:25   #65
BHPian

Quote:

And this is Karnataka government driving manual, even they get it right. Scroll down to parking rules.
1. We are in India and trying to discuss with the Indian context in mind.
2. Here is what the Karnataka government driving manual says (Samurai's linky)

Parking On A Hill

When you park headed downhill, turn your front wheels into the curb or toward the side of the road. Set the parking brake.

When you park headed uphill, turn your front wheels away from the curb and let your vehicle roll back a few inches until the rear of one front wheel gently touches the curb. Then set the parking brake.

For either uphill or downhill parking, if there is no curb, turn the wheels toward the side of the road so the car will roll away from the center of the road if the brakes fail. When you park on a sloping driveway, turn the wheels so that the car will not roll into the street if the brakes fail. Always set your parking brake and leave the vehicle in gear.

In UK/US/Canada and other western countries, rules are written with their road and driving conditions in mind. They need not necessarily hold true in the Indian context in entierity.

My two cents.

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 29th March 2008, 16:14   #66
BHPian

Looks like we are all in agreement here. The text in Karnataka govt web site and Ca DMV is equivalent. Sorry to have extended the topic.
Old 29th March 2008, 18:35   #67
Senior - BHPian

Wherever it was mentioned it was a news to me and i had never thought of this point before.Good one samurai.
ram
Old 29th March 2008, 20:47   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai mentions ditches.

Have to admit I hadn't considered ditches! They really complicate things, as they may immobilise the car until you can get it towed out, or cause much more damage than the odd scratch from a wall.

Ten seconds of intense thought on the matter, and I conclude: Park somewhere else!
Old 29th March 2008, 21:17   #69
Senior - BHPian

Thank you headers, but a very wicked thought crossed my mind. What if some moronic neighbourhood kid scolded at home and punished by not giving food, decides to remove the bricks just for the heck of it..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Any way..one has to park within 6 inches of the curb, wall etc..else its pathetic parking and could be towed away!

I liked GDs method the best!. Put 2 bricks before the wheel: LOL
Old 29th March 2008, 21:42   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

What if some moronic neighbourhood kid scolded at home and punished by not giving food, decides to remove the wheels just for the heck of it..?

That's what happens in parts of London.

It happened to a boss of mine. They only took the back wheels, and it was dark, so the front-wheel drive meant that the first he knew about it was when the car fell off the bricks they'd left supporting it.

It was the bricks that reminded me. And made my rather tenuous link to the topic <Blush>

But yes, bricks is the answer to the ditch problem. In fact, they are probably the answer to any hill problem!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th March 2008 at 21:43.
Old 29th March 2008, 22:07   #71
Senior - BHPian

Phew..Finally we have some sort of conclusion. This thread was slowy turning into a "How many software engineers does it take to change a light bulb" kinda problem
Old 30th March 2008, 10:26   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Thank you headers, but a very wicked thought crossed my mind. What if some moronic neighbourhood kid scolded at home and punished by not giving food, decides to remove the bricks just for the heck of it..?
He would not be able to remove both..cos the vehicle will start rolling..Am not sure whether I'm explaining this right!

If 2 bricks are placed at either front wheels diagonally, then the load is equal on both, if one of them is removed, it becomes difficult to even move the other as the full load is on the other! What say guys? get the message!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Phew..Finally we have some sort of conclusion. This thread was slowy turning into a "How many software engineers does it take to change a light bulb" kinda problem
Conclusion, no, we are just discussing different ways to park a car!
Old 12th June 2008, 07:23   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Dude, it is you who has to recheck. I remember the lessons well from my 1993 NJ driving test, in fact I had to frequently use it.
Quote:
Prabuddha, I read it very carefully, again. In case
In uphill parking, turning towards the side is not safe irrespective of the curb.

And I am done with this topic which got restarted allover after 2 years.
Samurai has left the building, but that does not mean I can't revive the topic, right?

I am preparing to give a driving test in Texas and this is what I find. Samurai, you are right about the situations where there is a kerb, but in a no kerb situation, driving manual says that you should turn your wheels towards the side of the road, rather than away. Attached is a picture from the manual. I believe it is same in manuals across the world.

Couldn't help bringing up the topic again..After all, the truth should be known.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the correct way to park on an incline?-no-kerb.jpg  

Last edited by kuttapan : 12th June 2008 at 07:32. Reason: Additional quote
Old 13th June 2008, 03:53   #74
Team-BHP Support

Kuttapan,

I have clarified this in post #57 and i think everyone has reached an agreement here.

Nonetheless, the image you have posted sums it up very well.
Hopefully there will be no more debating.

cya
R
Old 13th June 2008, 13:55   #75
BHPian

Well, this might be OT but need some clarification on a small issue, might sound stupid but I have been pondering over it for a long time and this thread revived the doubt once again.

Suppose we are parking our vehicle uphill or downhill. Now do we put the vehicle in 1st/reverse gear first, release the clutch and then apply the hand brake or vice versa, coz I have been wondering which method is appropiate without putting too much stress on the gear box or hand brake.

Once when I had parked my car, the surface was plain but uneven and one of the rear wheel was slightly raised than the other, the next morning when I was about to take the car out, I released the handbrake and slowly started moving out, the car was behaving very weirdly. I got out of the car and checked the rear tyres, I realized that one of the tyre was locked, it was not moving and as a result it was being dragged. I slowly reversed the car again and the wheel became free. I concluded that the handbrake might not have been released properly and the tyre was locked out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks