Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2006, 15:36   #1
Team-BHP Support

What is the correct way to park on an incline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
- always turn your front tyres almost fully towards the curb (foothpath) while parking on a road with some incline/decline. so that even if car moves ahead it'll not go out of control!
Not as simple as that. The tyres should be turned towards the curbs only in a decline, and it should be turned away from the curb in an incline.
Old 20th March 2006, 18:29   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Not as simple as that. The tyres should be turned towards the curbs only in a decline, and it should be turned away from the curb in an incline.
just recheck what you suggested!

on an incline, if wheels are steered away from the curb then if car rolls backward, it'll come bang in the middle of the road!

in the same manner, on a decline, if wheels are steered away from the curb then if car rolls forward, then again it'll come in the middle of road!

the safest way, on both incline and decline, is to turn wheels "towards" the curb and not "away" from it.

this way,
if car moves forward, it'll hit the curb from front end and stop right there.
if car moves backward, it'll hit the curb from rear end and stop right there.

i hope i've clarified my opinion.
Old 20th March 2006, 21:36   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
just recheck what you suggested!

on an incline, if wheels are steered away from the curb then if car rolls backward, it'll come bang in the middle of the road!

in the same manner, on a decline, if wheels are steered away from the curb then if car rolls forward, then again it'll come in the middle of road!

the safest way, on both incline and decline, is to turn wheels "towards" the curb and not "away" from it.

this way,
if car moves forward, it'll hit the curb from front end and stop right there.
if car moves backward, it'll hit the curb from rear end and stop right there.

i hope i've clarified my opinion.
Sorry Dude, it is you who has to recheck. I remember the lessons well from my 1993 NJ driving test, in fact I had to frequently use it.

Read this: http://www.ehow.com/how_1869_park-hill.html

If you are not yet convinced, let me explain.

Say we follow your method where the wheels are turned towards curb in both cases. It is fine in the case of decline. If the brake or gear slip, it will just hit the curb and stop. However, in the case of incline, the car will make 90 degree turn and stop perpendicular to the road. But if the wheels are away from the curb on the incline, in case of a slip the wheels will hit the curb immediately and stop.
Old 20th March 2006, 22:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
However, in the case of incline, the car will make 90 degree turn and stop perpendicular to the road. But if the wheels are away from the curb on the incline, in case of a slip the wheels will hit the curb immediately and stop.
no way. you can try it out on some flyover while sitting in the car.

you gave that link, good, but still i'd suggest you to try it on your own.

i am parking my cars this very way since last 3-4 years. my office's parking area has lots of such ups and downs. due to large number of cars sometimes we have to park on the ramps to our basement.

so i am repeating it once again, that turning the front wheels "towards" the curbs does it all.
Old 20th March 2006, 22:37   #5
BHPian

okay okay i got it.
you read that article once again and instead of word "curb" read it with "wall".
it is done to protect the damage to the rear end like lights etc. when you have to parking parallel to a wall or anything which is much higher than the height of rear overhang.
but if you are parking parallel to a curb or anything with less height than rear overhang, my option is also good.

in your style of parking, it is only the front tyre that will stop the car from going ahead or coming back by hitting the curb.
and in my style of parking, the whole car will move a bit ahead or back and then stop.

but in your style of parking the driver has to use very much caution while parking so that any one end of tyre must touch the curb so that car can stop. if he misses that by a slight margin, that is, if tyre doesnot hits the curb if it starts rolling back then what will happen? it'll park itself perpendicularly in the middle of road.

but in my style of parking, come what may, the car cannot go in the middle of the road. it'll stop with one of its end touching the curb, always.

just try to visualise what i wrote here.
glad to have you discussing it to such lengths.

Last edited by revharder : 20th March 2006 at 22:41.
Old 20th March 2006, 23:07   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i am parking my cars this very way since last 3-4 years. my office's parking area has lots of such ups and downs. due to large number of cars sometimes we have to park on the ramps to our basement.

so i am repeating it once again, that turning the front wheels "towards" the curbs does it all.
Ok, I won't argue with you. This is not my style. I'll just point out what every motor vechicle rule says in the world.

Look at the last page of this chapter from New Jersey Driver's Manual.

This is what Canadian government thinks, look at the first picture.

And this is Karnataka government driving manual, even they get it right. Scroll down to parking rules.

This is General Motors driving guidelines, scroll down to the bottom.

Forget me. Just think, what are the chances they are all wrong and you are right?

Last edited by Samurai : 20th March 2006 at 23:10.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2006, 18:03   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, I won't argue with you. This is not my style. I'll just point out what every motor vechicle rule says in the world.

Look at the last page of this chapter from New Jersey Driver's Manual.

This is what Canadian government thinks, look at the first picture.

And this is Karnataka government driving manual, even they get it right. Scroll down to parking rules.

This is General Motors driving guidelines, scroll down to the bottom.

Forget me. Just think, what are the chances they are all wrong and you are right?
lol, instead of searching the internet for your support, just try my style once.
i accepted your style too and i've clarified it in my last reply.

now i won't repeat that my style is also okay
you just try it once.

and if possible try to go through my last reply once again and try to understand my point of view.

and imho, it is a bad practice to just follow the artciles written and not using your own style.

lastly, i want you to try my style just once. i guess there is no harm in trying it when you are sitting inside the car, unless you are quite a newbie.
and while comparing my style with your published style try parking the car about 2-3 feets away from the curb/wall.

i tried using your style in my office while parking my car about 2-3 feets away from curb and it didn't worked! but when i tried it about 6-7 inches away from curb, your style worked perfectly. no doubt a good way of parking.

and in my style you can park even much more away from curb but still the car will not come in the middle of road. at the most any one end of the car will hit the object above curb like some wall, or signboard etc. you can call my style as a raw indigenous way of parking, but it does works!

i hope after such a trial you will accept my style too.
try it once.
Old 21st March 2006, 20:57   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
lol, instead of searching the internet for your support, just try my style once.
i accepted your style too and i've clarified it in my last reply.
It is not my style. I first learnt it in 1993 from the NJ driver manual and have used it ever since.

Quote:
now i won't repeat that my style is also okay
you just try it once.
I know you method is incorrect, but I am not sure how to convince you. If you keep the tyres towards the curb in an incline and it slips, the car moves backward like in the image, to the middle of the road.
If you are still not convinced, I give up.

Quote:
and imho, it is a bad practice to just follow the artciles written and not using your own style.
It has worked for me since 1993, I have found it to be correct in my experience ever since.

Quote:
lastly, i want you to try my style just once. i guess there is no harm in trying it when you are sitting inside the car, unless you are quite a newbie.
If I am a newbie, you have to be really old.
Quote:
i tried using your style in my office while parking my car about 2-3 feets away from curb and it didn't worked! but when i tried it about 6-7 inches away from curb, your style worked perfectly. no doubt a good way of parking.
The method I described is for parking on the side of the road. If there is no curb, the car will roll out of the road. In your method, it rolls into the middle of road, that's the problem.

Quote:
and in my style you can park even much more away from curb but still the car will not come in the middle of road.
Nope. It does move into the middle of the road, see the picture above.

The argument you and I are having is slightly off topic. If you want to further discuss, please open a new thread, I will see whether I can move the relevant posts into that thread.
Old 21st March 2006, 21:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
If I am a newbie, you have to be really old.
yes i am. okay?

and i donot want to discuss it further with you coz you are not ready to accept anything.

i was trying to explain another method of parking without bothering about the curb or incline or decline and left turn or right turn of wheels, but you are not ready to 'visualise' anything or rather 'try' it even once.

you seems much more interested in proving me wrong and trying to support your stand with internet published articles. this makes you really look like a newbie.
i can prove my version only by demonstrating it to you and not by any published articles.

sorry to say but you have not tried even once to understand my suggestion. i asked you so many times to go through my replies once again but it seems all efforts went in vain. so i also want to stop this 'off-topic' discussion right here so that forum rules are not broken.
Old 21st March 2006, 23:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

revharder,

I tried really hard to understand your logic, but I have to disagree with your method. I even visualised your method using a software and published the image from that. Isn't that trying enough?

The links I gave were not just some Internet published articles, they are well trusted sources. You want to call me a newbie, so be it. We can simply agree to disagree, nothing wrong with that.
Old 21st March 2006, 23:15   #11
BHPian

i guess here 'alternatives' are never appreciated or rather understood.
i know what i tried to explain.
but it seems only you know pretty well what is correct.

now i am pulling that hand(y)-brake here.
can i expect you to do the same?
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:40   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i guess here 'alternatives' are never appreciated or rather understood.
What do you mean here? I am stating my personal opinion based on my experience. My opinion is not necessarily the opinion of the entire forum.

Quote:
i know what i tried to explain.
but it seems only you know pretty well what is correct.
That's because you have not made any convincing argument. No independent sources, no pictorial evidence, etc. Show me some proof, or some independent source that agrees with you.

Quote:
now i am pulling that hand(y)-brake here. can i expect you to do the same?
Usually I would. But you are spreading misinformation here, at least in my opinion. Therefore, I urge you go ahead and prove your theory pictorially with the help of images, just like I did. You have apparently invented new way of parking on the incline, therefore it is up to you to prove it beyond doubt before I can accept it.

I even separated this off-topic into a new thread so that we can argue without being off topic.
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
But you are spreading misinformation here, at least in my opinion.
thats not true.
and regarding dragging it further, i am not at all interested.
if you wish you can continue, but let me browse other threads too.
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey chill guys!
The discussion has been quite healthy so far! Please dont ruin it now.

Both of u are now being a bit harsh on each other. Both of u have tried each other's method and Rev even accepted that Samurai's style works perfectly, albiet only when parked 2 - 3 inches away from the curb.

Disagreements will happen as its human nature. But dont let it spoil the taste please.

Samurai, dont worry about misinformation yaar... give some credit to the TBHPians for having some grey matter to figure out for themselves whats right and whats not!

So just chill dudes.

Amitoj
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:03   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Hey chill guys!
The discussion has been quite healthy so far! Please dont ruin it now.
It is still a healthy discussion, albiet heated one.

Quote:
Both of u are now being a bit harsh on each other. Both of u have tried each other's method and Rev even accepted that Samurai's style works perfectly, albiet only when parked 2 - 3 inches away from the curb.
It is not my style, it is the technique accepted worldwide. Therefore, revharder is not making any favour to me by accepting it. I have kept the argument very civil.

Quote:
Samurai, dont worry about misinformation yaar... give some credit to the TBHPians for having some grey matter to figure out for themselves whats right and whats not!
If he has really invented new method as he claims let him prove it and I'll applaud it. Until then I don't want new drivers on T-BHP think it is one of the correct methods.

Quote:
thats not true.
and regarding dragging it further, i am not at all interested.
Well, I am disappointed, I was really looking forward to see your proof.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks