Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 12:50   #91
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: What is the correct way to park on an incline?

all the best in your practice sessions
please ensure you practice preferably on an open ground and NOT on the public roads/ streets.
what libran said is absolutely right - the accelerator needs to be pressed a tad to keep the engine at a slightly higher rev/rpm than the normal idling speed in order to avoid stalling/ engine dying.
it is only a bit of co-ordination which will come with some amount of practice.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthemacho View Post
@Shankar.Balan. Oh, ok. Now I get it. Will definitely practice it and let you know how I am doing on it. Thank you once again for the genuinely helpful advice, all of you.
Old 29th April 2011, 16:56   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sorry Dude, it is you who has to recheck. I remember the lessons well from my 1993 NJ driving test, in fact I had to frequently use it.

Read this: How to Park on a Hill | eHow.com
Absolutely perfect !!! That's exactly what I learned from my Illinois driving test back in 2003.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:38   #93
BHPian

The art of parking your 4 wheeler on a slope

Hi all

I know that TBHP is bubbling with petroheads. Still i would like to share a few tips on the art of parking your car in a slope.

1. In nose up condition ( vehicle standing up hill ) :-
a. Apply the foundation brake.
b. In this condtion, apply the parking brake fully and then release the
foundation brake.
c. Then engage the first gear of the vehicle.
d. Steer the vehicle in the direction where there is a wall / hill etc and
then switch off the engine.
e. Get out of the car and place the wheel stopper behind the rear
wheel which is closer to the wall / hill.

2. In nose down condition ( vehicle standing down hill ) :-
foundation brake.
c. Then engage the reverse gear of the vehicle.
e. Get out of the car and place the wheel stopper infront of the rear

Hope this will be useful .

Mods :- Incase this is a repeat thread, requesting you to delete or merge with the appropriate thread.

cheers
wild child is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:03   #94
BHPian

Re: The art of parking your 4 wheeler on a slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
foundation brake.
for me, its always the other way.. slot the vehicle into first gear, release the foundation brake and then apply the hand brake.
May be because i learned driving in a jeep which had no hand brake...
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:12   #95
Senior - BHPian

Nicely captured and useful, but it ain't no art. Plain old commonsense, really.
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:13   #96
BANNED

Let me add oen thing. If there is a footpath then set the steering so that the car will engage the parapet, otherwise set it to roll out of the traffic. The two will be opposite!
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:25   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child
Get out of the car and place the wheel stopper behind the rear wheel
I used to think that using wheel-stoppers (stones / blocks of wood) is a pure Indian thing, till I saw these being used extensively in Japan, mainly for buses. They use wood-blocks having a metal handle to make lugging it around easy.
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:47   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all

I know that TBHP is bubbling with petroheads. Still i would like to share a few tips on the art of parking your car in a slope.

1. In nose up condition ( vehicle standing up hill ) :-
foundation brake.
e. Get out of the car and place the wheel stopper behind the rear

2. In nose down condition ( vehicle standing down hill ) :-
foundation brake.
c. Then engage the reverse gear of the vehicle.
e. Get out of the car and place the wheel stopper infront of the rear

Hope this will be useful .

Mods :- Incase this is a repeat thread, requesting you to delete or merge with the appropriate thread.

cheers

This was discussed a few weeks ago on another thread (may be this thread - I don't remember) and I had asekd the same question:

why first gear when nose is up and reverse when nose is down? Does the engine/transmission/differental assembly have some mechanical arrangement that prevents rotation in one direction?

If not then I'm assuming all putting the car in gear is doing is giving you extra braking from the drivetrain and powertrain, including the huge engine braking available since flow of air is restricted - and to use it at its best in most cars, reverse gear must be use whether nose is up or down, because reverse gear ratio is the highest on most cars.

the only way first gear will be better than reverse when nose is up, is if there is some mechanism giving selective direction to the engine even when ignition is off.
Old 22nd June 2011, 16:12   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
This was discussed a few weeks ago on another thread (may be this thread - I don't remember) and I had asekd the same question:

why first gear when nose is up and reverse when nose is down? Does the engine/transmission/differental assembly have some mechanical arrangement that prevents rotation in one direction?

If not then I'm assuming all putting the car in gear is doing is giving you extra braking from the drivetrain and powertrain, including the huge engine braking available since flow of air is restricted - and to use it at its best in most cars, reverse gear must be use whether nose is up or down, because reverse gear ratio is the highest on most cars.

the only way first gear will be better than reverse when nose is up, is if there is some mechanism giving selective direction to the engine even when ignition is off.
hey vina

as the name suggests, reverse gear is slotted to move the vehicle in reverse and 1st, 2nd etc are used to move the vehicle forward at various speeds. When the vehicle is standing in nose up condition and if u park it using reverse brake alone, there are chances of the vehicle being jump started even with the slightest movement backwards. Same is the case if the vehicle is parked in nose down condition with gear stick slotted in 1st. That's the reason why we use reverse while nose down parking and 1st while nose up parking. This prevents the vehicle from moving.

Cheers
Old 22nd June 2011, 18:21   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... there are chances of the vehicle being jump started even with the slightest movement backwards ...
With the ignition off, and the key in your pocket, can that happen?
Quote:
Hi Vina, you are right. There is no specific reason for using the mentioned gears downhill or uphill. Infact, in most cars, reverse is the shorter gear and is preferred over 1st on steep inclines.

Well, the above mentioned practice is followed just to avoid any mishaps while starting the car. If the vehicle is in reverse, and nose facing downhill, even if you accidentally start with the clutch engaged, you face no real risk than ending up with a burnt starter motor. Same vice versa. Both being really short gears, the above mentioned practice just gives that additional protection.
Old 22nd June 2011, 18:47   #101
BHPian

[quote=dhanushs;2401925]With the ignition off, and the key in your pocket, can that happen?

the car may not start dhanush, but i've been in situations when my bolero was parked on extreme nose up slopes and she was slotted in reverse gear( the parking brake was not engaged). even after i got out of the vehicle ( with the keys in my pocket ), she moved backward in jerks. i had to quickly hop into the cabin and slot it to first gear after which it stood there motionless. that's why i had mentioned so in my post.

- wild child
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:10   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
With the ignition off, and the key in your pocket, can that happen?
I guess this might have been possible in the Padminis.

[quote=wild child;2401955]
Quote:
the car may not start dhanush, but i've been in situations when my bolero was parked on extreme nose up slopes and she was slotted in reverse gear( the parking brake was not engaged). even after i got out of the vehicle ( with the keys in my pocket ), she moved backward in jerks. i had to quickly hop into the cabin and slot it to first gear after which it stood there motionless. that's why i had mentioned so in my post.
I think this is just a co-incidence (since the car had already jerked a bit).

In a similar situation, slot it into 1st gear (without the handbrake) and leave; the car will still jerk a bit till the gear manages to stop further movement.

Be it the 1st or reverse, there cannot be a jumpstart if the key ain't there.
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:55   #103
Senior - BHPian

[quote=wild child;2401955]
Quote:

- wild child

What probably happened was that the friction offered by the reverse as not enough to prevent the start of the rolling (was barely enough, but may be something started it) - and once rolling started, friction reduces anyway (sliding friction is much smaller).

Did you try stopping the car and leaving it in the reverse again? - It probably wouldn't have moved.

that said - very bad idea not to engage the handbrake and rely on engine braking alone - you can do the other way round (no gear engaged) but not engaging the parking brake should not be attempted.
Old 23rd June 2011, 00:01   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Did you try stopping the car and leaving it in the reverse again? - It probably wouldn't have moved.

that said - very bad idea not to engage the handbrake and rely on engine braking alone - you can do the other way round (no gear engaged) but not engaging the parking brake should not be attempted.
I hope you are not quoting me?

Anyhow, +1 to what you said. It is indeed a very bad idea to rely on engine braking alone and not engaging the handbrake. That said, in any circumstances, if you are relying on engine braking, then reverse is a better option.

@wild child, I guess you stopped the car, and then put it in 1st gear?. If so, reverse would have worked better.
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:38   #105
BHPian

Quote:
I hope you are not quoting me?

Anyhow, +1 to what you said. It is indeed a very bad idea to rely on engine braking alone and not engaging the handbrake. That said, in any circumstances, if you are relying on engine braking, then reverse is a better option.

@wild child, I guess you stopped the car, and then put it in 1st gear?. If so, reverse would have worked better.
u guessed it right dhanush.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks