Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2008, 17:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Caster Adjusting Bolts

Hi Everyone,

I recently came across Caster Adjusting Bolts on this site.

3541 FastCam Camber Bolts

Does anyone have any clue if these are available locally in India for our cars.

As far as I know most cars available nowadays do not have any camber adjustment, this could really solve our woes if our camber goes out.

Thanks
Manik
Old 10th April 2008, 21:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Camber and Toe can be adjusted.
Old 11th April 2008, 12:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Camber and Toe can be adjusted.
Toe is definitely adjustable, however Camber is usually fixed by Car manufacturers. Atleast on my Baleno there is no Camber adjustment provision available by design.

The method the local garages employee is to do this by grinding the Strut bolts to make room for adjustment. This in my humble opinion is not a good method, first it would reduce the bolt strength and second that a thinner bolt would be susceptible to moving around in the wide area.

What I had mentioned earlier was specialized bolts that could help avoid the grinding fix that is usually employed.

It would be great if someone has seen these anywhere and could just drop me a message.
Old 2nd January 2009, 22:43   #19
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have a Hyundai Accent (2004), 1500cc, done 42K km. I had to change the shockers and tie rod ends etc. - pretty much everything in the front suspension is new. After changing, the car pulled slowly to the right. After two alignment centres and reading on the net, I found out that camber adjustment does matter in cars. Most wheel alignment centres also have either 2 sensor adjustment (for frot wheels) or 4 sensors with no space for the rear wheels.

I went finally to this guy recommended by ABC Hyundai. He's next to Mantralaya in Mumbai - name's Syed. He has a state of the art alignment system. He put in a camber bolt, ironed out the wrong (attempted settings) of the other alignment shop floors and now the car is perfect. It's normal he says. He has a certifications from HMIL. The camber bolt cost Rs. 100, alignment (4 wheels) Rs. 450. The car is surer now and even the ride is better.

So, all you guys in Mumbai, don't just go by your friendly Mumbai mechanic out there and the rest, read and consult your dealer. I have dealt with ABC hyundai for 7 years now. They are very helpful and professional. I am happy.:-)

Last edited by Aditya : 12th June 2020 at 21:24. Reason: Formatting, spacing
Old 20th August 2021, 13:08   #20

Camber adjustment cost

I own Maruti-Suzuki Swift Dzire (2013). After completing routine Wheel-balancing and Alignment, I found out that camber of rear-left wheel was out of specification (-1 deg. 30'). I can see the wheel slightly tilted outwards.
According to Service Advisor, Wheel hub must be replaced and if even that does not solve the issue he will replace entire rear dead axle.
Cost of repairs :
Wheel Hub replacement - Rs.3000(parts) + (Labour+GST)
Rear Dead-axle replacement - Rs. 12000(parts) + (Labour+GST)
I live in tier-I city and labour charges here are high.
Is this the only way to fix the camber mis-alignment? If yes, is the cost of repair reasonable?
Old 20th August 2021, 13:24   #21
Team-BHP Support

Re: Camber adjustment cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurav_Kulkarni View Post
I own Maruti-Suzuki Swift Dzire (2013). After completing routine Wheel-balancing and Alignment, I found out that camber of rear-left wheel was out of specification (-1 deg. 30'). I can see the wheel slightly tilted outwards.
According to Service Advisor, Wheel hub must be replaced and if even that does not solve the issue he will replace entire rear dead axle.
Cost of repairs :
Is this the only way to fix the camber mis-alignment? If yes, is the cost of repair reasonable?
The rear left wheel of the Swift DZire doesn't offer any camber adjustments. The reason for a positive / negative camber could be due to a suspension issue after hitting a big pothole or something. Do you see uneven tyre wear? I don't think the hub is the cause here. I'd look at the suspension before going to the hub or the dead axle.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 13:36   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

A common issue with Dzire, cabbies will tell you. They will take it to the manual alignment guys who will remove the dead axle - reweld if necessary and fix it at a reasonable cost, no replacement is necessary.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 13:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The rear left wheel of the Swift DZire doesn't offer any camber adjustments. The reason for a positive / negative camber could be due to a suspension issue after hitting a big pothole or something. Do you see uneven tyre wear? I don't think the hub is the cause here. I'd look at the suspension before going to the hub or the dead axle.
My tyres are new (just 4000km run) and at the time of installing them, camber was in limit. As tyres are fairly new I can't clearly notice any unusual wear.
My car has frequent runs on EXTREMELY bumpy roads. So inspection of suspension, hub, axle must be done
Now the only way is to REPLACE parts. is that right?
(Never imagined small camber adjustment would be so much expensive)
Old 20th August 2021, 14:07   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My tyres are new (just 4000km run) and at the time of installing them, camber was in limit. As tyres are fairly new I can't clearly notice any unusual wear.
My car has frequent runs on EXTREMELY bumpy roads. So inspection of suspension, hub, axle must be done
Now the only way is to REPLACE parts. is that right?
(Never imagined small camber adjustment would be so much expensive)

Have you inspected the rear dead axle for any impacts or bend? If there is an impact mark or bend then most likey the dead axle is bent and causing the camber to go out of spec.

If the axle is bent then no need to replace the hub along with the axle. Old hubs can be transferred to the new dead axle. Since new dead axle is pretty expensive, check if it can be repair at a local mechanic who specialize in these activities. The alignment shops usually know the contact of these mechanics. You can check with them

If the hub is bent then lift the car and see if the the wheel wobbles when you rotate with hand. If not then hub is not bent

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 20th August 2021 at 14:12.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 17:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
A common issue with Dzire, cabbies will tell you. They will take it to the manual alignment guys who will remove the dead axle - reweld if necessary and fix it at a reasonable cost, no replacement is necessary.
Hi, first post from Kuala Lumpur and be nice please.

This camber adjustment by spot welding is a very practical proposition indeed, and should be seriously considered.

Quote:
Cost of repairs :
Rear camber at -1°30' being out of specs, mind sharing computer print out if any?

I vaguely remember reading on this forum that it could be within specification, though it could be less than ideal.

By the way is there any uneven inside wear on the said Left rear tyre?

Last edited by Sheel : 25th August 2021 at 11:03. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 25th August 2021, 13:10   #26

Re: Camber Adjustment query & Camber Adjusting Bolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
Hi, first post from Kuala Lumpur and be nice please.
====
By the way is there any uneven inside wear on the said Left rear tyre?
I can't see any uneven tyre wear. (There might be no visible wear on them as my tyres are new).
Attached Thumbnails
Camber Adjustment query & Camber Adjusting Bolts?-20210820_115721.jpg  

Saurav_Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 20:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I can't see any uneven tyre wear. (There might be no visible wear on them as my tyres are new).
Sorry, for not being very clear with my question.
I meant to refer to whether any uneven wear on previous used tyre on Left Rear prior to new tyre?
Thanks for the alignment print out which clearly says left rear camber -1°30' is out of specification.
Besides, the rear left right camber difference of 1°01' is excessive as well.
If I were you, the rear cambers requires making good and spot welding mentioned by @Kosfactor may be an option.

Note:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ancing-13.html (Wheel Alignment & Balancing) Post #187 suggests a 2011 Suzuki Dzire rear camber specification 'hugely' different from your 2013's .
Why is that so, if I may ask?
Old 31st August 2021, 13:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
Note:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ancing-13.html (Wheel Alignment & Balancing) Post #187 suggests a 2011 Suzuki Dzire rear camber specification 'hugely' different from your 2013's .
Why is that so, if I may ask?
Swift Dzire 2011 Model is completely different from mine. I own Swift Dzire VXI (2013).Mine is Sub-4 Mtr. compact sedan. That may be the reason for 'huge' difference.
Also, Where can I find the specifications of alignment of cars. Is there any website? Did a lot of googling but wasn't able to find it anywhere?
Thanks !
Old 1st September 2021, 10:20   #29
BHPian

Granted every 2 cars are 'different' in some respect, but 2011 and 2013 Dzires for identical on-roads applications as sedans having two totally divergent negative rear camber regimes vs pure positive rear camber regimes is mind boggling to me trigonometrically , hence seeking views and clarifications here.

Am I safe to guess the part #s of Rear springs/shock absorbers/absorber mountings/axle beams of these two Dzires as identical ?
I wish members here can provide further clarity here.

If they are , then their Rear Suspension Systems are identical? Or is it not?

On vehicle wheel alignment specifications, it may be sourced online from member uploads of real life computer alignment print-outs in various fora and, I believe this forum is the best source for a variety of vehicle models (but confined to Indian market). Others are model specific generally.

Edit:My enquiry thread on seeking to understand their differences was moved here.
Old 1st September 2021, 11:19   #30
BHPian

Dear Mod,

Can you please merge the following:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post5135071 (Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here)

Thanks, and thousand apologies.

Most Viewed